General & Others The story of one piece wouldn’t take a competent storyteller and writer more than 1000 chapters to tell

With all the characters and events, it’s just that Oda doesn’t know how to organize his thoughts making chapter sequences so haphazardly spread in a disorderly manner
Its possible to get the entire East blue in 8 episodes mate so yeah, of course any competant storyteller could tell One Piece in 1000 but spoilers, in fact I'm sure a good one could tell it in less than 500 chapters.

But you know what ? It wouldn't be really One Piece. One Piece is One Piece also because of its lenght and because of all the little things that you don't notice along the way.

And One Piece is far from being disorganized mate. Really..

Its possible to get the entire East blue in 8 episodes mate so yeah, of course any competant storyteller could tell One Piece in 1000 but spoilers, in fact I'm sure a good one could tell it in less than 500 chapters.

But you know what ? It wouldn't be really One Piece. One Piece is One Piece also because of its lenght and because of all the little things that you don't notice along the way.

And One Piece is far from being disorganized mate. Really..
I’m saying that a competent author could tell the same story, without omitting any details in less time. With all the story components, characters, events and scenes.

OP problem isn’t its length, far from it. Its problem is the pacing and postponing and slowness of pace. Like the chapters feel like there’s nothing much happening in them, you know what I mean?

I’m saying that a competent author could tell the same story, without omitting any details in less time. With all the story components, characters, events and scenes.

OP problem isn’t its length, far from it. Its problem is the pacing and postponing and slowness of pace. Like the chapters feel like there’s nothing much happening in them, you know what I mean?
Would the same author be able to output high quality drawings every week for 27 years?
Where is that author?
So far, the only one authors that have done something like Oda you can count with the fingers of one hand.

No. Its simply impossible. They could tell a similar story, but its wouldn't be the same. The reasons why One Piece is long are also the reason why One Piece is the story that it is.

Its problem is the pacing and postponing and slowness of pace.
In reality there is no problem of pace, remember that One Piece is meant to be read in bunch, not only in scans. And there are a LOT of informations insides chapters. This pacing is how its supposed to be to be enjoyable during a normal reader pace.

Like the chapters feel like there’s nothing much happening in them, you know what I mean?
Yes I understand, and I say that you are wrong. In reality a LOT is happening. Its just that the informations are scattered among multiple chapters which can give the impression during a weekly read that its slow. But its really not. In fact the current arc is extremely fast in term of pacing. Oda really doesn't waste much time.

Of course Oda could get even straighter to the point, by scratching down some peripetia, its completely possible, but it wouldn't be One Piece anymore and the story would lose a lot of its taste.

Oda already said that he initially planned One Piece to end much earlier, in 5 years or so... the Yonko would come right after Luffy entered the Grand Line. However, due to the series' immense success, he probably wanted turn it in a (very) long-running manga and instead created the Shichibukai for the first half of the series and the Supernova at the end of the first half to stir up things even more (was the WG/CD plot even on his mind then? He apparently had the EoS on his mind since a long time ago, but I'm not sure if the WG was part of it), not sure if for money (he's the richest and most successful mangaka ever btw), pressure from Shueisha (it isn't everyday that a hundreds of million-selling manga appears, specially if it's the BEST selling manga ever) or to fulfill his earnest wishes.

With that said, Oda has really been stalling the story arcs lately, specially after the post timeskip. Not sure why, but it could be for any of the reasons said above.

Oda isn't incompetent. Far from it but he is self indulgent and that results in him increasing his own workload. He makes far too many unnecessary characters and this leads to a bloated script that forces Oda to scrabble to find things for these extra characters to do. The easiest way to get rid of an unnecessary character is to kill them off but Oda is rather hesitant to do that so once he has created them, he is usually stuck with them.

There wasn't a need for 9 Scabbards. They could have been cut down to 4 or 5, either remove some or combine others. Who here would be legitimately sad about the likes of Shutenmaru being removed out of the story? Just have Denjiro be the guy secretly leading the bandits on the side in addition to his already existing role. It didn't need Shutenmaru to exist.

The 11 Supernovas being nearly all Captains is another example of Oda creating unnecessary work for himself. Eight additional captains that all need their own supporting cast could have been cut down again to just 4 or 5 crews. Just make the likes of Hawkins or Apoo high ranking crew mates to actually important Supernovas like Law.

Oda is his own worst enemy when it comes to workload and pacing. The man loves being creative but just because you could create something, doesn't mean you should create it.

Last edited:
No. Its simply impossible. They could tell a similar story, but its wouldn't be the same. The reasons why One Piece is long are also the reason why One Piece is the story that it is.

In reality there is no problem of pace, remember that One Piece is meant to be read in bunch, not only in scans. And there are a LOT of informations insides chapters. This pacing is how its supposed to be to be enjoyable during a normal reader pace.

Yes I understand, and I say that you are wrong. In reality a LOT is happening. Its just that the informations are scattered among multiple chapters which can give the impression during a weekly read that its slow. But its really not. In fact the current arc is extremely fast in term of pacing. Oda really doesn't waste much time.

Of course Oda could get even straighter to the point, by scratching down some peripetia, its completely possible, but it wouldn't be One Piece anymore and the story would lose a lot of its taste.
What I’m saying is, there’s no need to stall 5-6 for VPs message. Why have we yet to hear his message just for it to be a lackluster reveal

What I’m saying is, there’s no need to stall 5-6 for VPs message. Why have we yet to hear his message just for it to be a lackluster reveal
Yes there is. In One Piece, that's how it works and that's why its One Piece. You can make other type of stories with similar outlines and some of the characters, but it won't be the same. You will only get an mear adaptation. One Piece is powerful in the details and this can be fully created because of the lenght.

Those details need space and time to be developped.