News Volume 96 coming on April 2020

Ok so tell me what is Law's official hair colour, Oda has coloured it both blue and black before. Go on.
Have I said that Oda can't change his color choices? And considering that both manga and anime change their colors, I'd go with the material painted by the actual author although he rarely changes certain things (things that aren't as much pre-established as using a clear skin for a character confirmed as based on a clear-skinned real person, I must add).

Even ignoring the fact that every single human being on the planet being the exact same skin colour in Oda's universe is illogical. There is no exact canon colouring, the sooner you realize this the better it is for you.
If you want to check how many "real world rules" are blatantly ignored by One Piece we could go on for a year of discussion. There's a canon colouring, whether you like it or not is your problem, not mine. And even if Oda may change it from time to time, it is still more reliable than a secondary product that also changes color schemes yet have no actual authority to make something canon or not. The only time a color change by the anime has become canon has been when Oda himself has preferred it over his personal choice (Kuma, haki shading), which again happens rarely and if he doesn't like it he will simply stick to his work whether the anime likes it or not (Caesar, Moriah).

Similar arguments were made for Naruto, with Kishi who would always colour the rasengan yellow, yet at times, and on a whim, he just followed the anime with the traditional blue rasengan. Y'all are way too caught up in colour, in a non colourized medium. Manga is black and white. Anime is in colour.
I don't care about Naruto.

If Oda has beef with the colours, he will ask for them to be changed. Oda has supervised movies where the characters are coloured differently. Because that is the true intention, it would look like an absolute joke if everyone was the same colour.
Oda won't necessarily ask for colours to be changed. There are examples of characters whose canon colour scheme has been ignored by the anime, such as Caesar, and Oda hasn't cared in the slightest about it. Oda would have no trouble with colouring each character's skin significantly different; his work is very colourful on itself. Haven't you considered that he does indeed want that clear shade to predominate and just gets along with the anime's skins because they're already established and he has no time to loss with such details?

If we were talking about comics, you would have a point. Manga's got nothing to do with colour, def not over the anime.
Depends on the comic, and manga can be colored too; One Piece itself is being digitally colored.

When I grew up people did not care about that. People were not crying because the lack of representation because people was interested in the character traits and personalities not their color skin.

As I said if you need to be represented by a fictional character to feel good, the issue is not representation. If your self esteem is build on the media opinion, the issue is not representation.
This is false. If I recall correctly, black community felt really empowered the first time a black character was used in a Superman comic in a role that wasn't the same as predefined by stereotypes. In a similar fashion, Hattie McDaniel faced criticism from the black community beacuse she'd just play racialized characters. And I doubt you were even born when all of this happened. Maybe the problem is that this stuff wasn't as apparent as now and that's why you assume it didn't even happen?

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Have I said that Oda can't change his color choices? And considering that both manga and anime change their colors, I'd go with the material painted by the actual author although he rarely changes certain things (things that aren't as much pre-established as using a clear skin for a character confirmed as based on a clear-skinned real person, I must add).
Except that he's went back and forth my dude, not that he chose blue and then changed it for good, now tell me Law's official hair colour. Judging by colour spreads and volumes.

Even if you put it this way, it's funny because Luffy himself changes skin tone ever so slightly every volume, you look at a random volume from Dressrosa (everyone has the same colour), you look at a random volume from Wano it might be a different shade but everyone once again has the same colour.

Now, the movies like stampede which Oda has supervised and made character designs for, which is in colour 24/7, and has a massive budget, explain why all 500 characters don't share the same skin colour, do that for me will ya?

This is false. If I recall correctly, black community felt really empowered the first time a black character was used in a Superman comic in a role that wasn't the same as predefined by stereotypes. In a similar fashion, Hattie McDaniel faced criticism from the black community beacuse she'd just play racialized characters. And I doubt you were even born when all of this happened. Maybe the problem is that this stuff wasn't as apparent as now and that's why you assume it didn't even happen?
I’m 35 so maybe this happened before I was born because I did not know about that.
But my point still stand being empowered because a fictional character have the same skin color as you, reveal a bigger issue.

J

Jo_Ndule

When I grew up people did not care about that. People were not crying because the lack of representation because people was interested in the character traits and personalities not their color skin.

As I said if you need to be represented by a fictional character to feel good, the issue is not representation. If your self esteem is build on the media opinion, the issue is not representation.

Great men and great women appeared in every ethnicity before the emergence of the entertainment world. Great men and great women appeared in every ethnicity after the emergence of the entertainment world.

The lack of diversity in fictional characters never stop great people to appear whatever the ethnicity.
The only people that didnt care about that are mostly those of your ethnicity

Kids are more influenced by fictional characters than Historical ones
A kid has more chances to wthink he's superman than he's Malcom X or Einstein
A kid would rather believe whatever he saw on TV than reality or facts.

All you can do is belittle cause you don't know what other people went or feel. And you don't care coz you would probably never care until it affects you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kids are not more influenced by fictional characters than Historical ones

All you can do is belittle cause you don't know what other people went or feel. And you don't care coz you would probably never care until it affects you.
Dude.... as an Arab guy... the amount of Hollywood movie where they make Arabs scary who don't laugh.. joke.. just bombing people... screaming like crazy... no manners... no nothing .. etc... the amount of time I've seen shit from Hollywood media about my ethnicity made me "Bulletproof" LMAO with thick skin who doesn't get affected at all... specially when I see stuff where I consider it small like anime lips LOL

So maybe because our experiences are different that we are reacting differently to this... so who knows.. I guess that plays a big part of why I didn't see big deal out of it

But generally... I don't really feel it's just and fair for Oda especially that I don't feel that Japanese culture are experiecing those issues from acitivist about Black issues.. which is why I'm not saying that Oda isn't aware of the world... but he inside his own culture in Japan don't pay much attention to it compared to a place like the US... where this type of issue is continuously brought up in the entertainment industry.... while in Japanese manga... I think we both can at least admit that their own interview NEVER BRING the topic of black manga characters... wouldn't you agree on that?

So i return... it makes them more volnerable to fall into stereotypical image... that may come in the wrong way... while Oda not necessarily means any wrong or harm

I hope my idea is clear

@Charlotte Horchata

You talk about Manga colored as the official one???
If that's the case... Please tell me why the fuck are you all angry when Blackbeard "who is black" is here colored with the same skin color as Roger/Rayleigh/Luffy/Shanks/Oden...etc????

So, basically Blackbeard is actually white NOT BLACK.... then Oda was drawing weird mouth for "WHITE GUY" not black guy according to Your own view

Why are you so angry?

So... you guys have two options here:
1- Either admits that Blackbeard is White... NOT BLACK... thus this whole fiasco you are making and this whole angry rant is nonsense because he's not doing that to black guy... but white guy

2- ORR you admit that the coloring in here isn't the RIGHT COLOR and that it's fleshed out better in anime as Anime studio does take tips from Oda about character designs and color scheme which is the proper media for it

as a previous member mentioned @ZenZu

You can choose one of the two options here.. and both options will basically tell you that your rant is standing on WEAK GROUND
Okay, first of all, let's chill out. I'm far from angry, and in fact you're the one who rage quit with an "I'm out". I'm simply discussing an issue I find to be incorrect; which doesn't mean that I disagree with the reasons why you may want Kuzan to be black, as I think I've shown in many posts defending the importance of having a referent for the minorities.

Second, let's make a distinction between my personal taste and Oda's choices. I don't always like the colors Oda chooses, and in fact I'd rather have a vast spectrum of skin shades like in the anime. But this doesn't affect the canonicity of the manga and that it is the first, most reliable source for colouring. And Oda happens to prefer clear skins over any others.

Now, would I prefer Usopp or Teach to have darker skins? Of course I would. But your problem, and where your reasoning mistake is coming from, is that you're comparing these two to Kuzan in spite of a very important difference:

Usopp and Teach are confirmed to come from black countries (well, "country", Usopp would be from Africa...) but Kuzan is confirmed to be a copycat of a real world Japanese actor.

See the difference? I'm making no fiasco because my point isn't even Kuzan's skin, that's my rebutal of this argument as support for the character being black. My actual positive point is that Kuzan is confirmed to be based on a Japanese person, ergo he isn't black. So there's no room for this recent counterargument of yours that would only work with characters that should be black like Teach the Somalian. But this isn't Kuzan's case: he's confirmed to have a Japanese appearance and his colouring is in fact appropiate because Yusaku Matsuda wasn't black.

To put it in simpler terms: your "white Blackbeard argument" would only work against a person claiming that he has nothing of a black person in spite of coming from Somalia beause he's coloured white. But I'm not that person and what I'm showing you (not even claiming, what I'm doing is sharing Oda's own explanations) is that Kuzan is confirmed as based on a Japanese person who had his same physical traits. So your argument doesn't even touch my point.

Except that he's went back and forth my dude, not that he chose blue and then changed it for good, now tell me Law's official hair colour. Judging by colour spreads and volumes.

Even if you put it this way, it's funny because Luffy himself changes skin tone ever so slightly every volume, you look at a random volume from Dressrosa (everyone has the same colour), you look at a random volume from Wano it might be a different shade but everyone once again has the same colour.

Now, the movies like stampede which Oda has supervised and made character designs for, which is in colour 24/7, and has a massive budget, explain why all 500 characters don't share the same skin colour, do that for me will ya?
Then what's your point? Sure, manga colouring rarely has examples of changes and small variations within an overall clear skin. On the contrary, the anime has changed its colours way more often to please the schemes from Oda himself and his variations of skin are so huge that character with darker skin may be depicted with a clear shade after a certain point (Usopp, Robin, Shiliew...).

So again, why should we, first of all, rely on a medium with way more radical colour changes and not on the original work by the actual author because the latter has some little/occasional changes yet usually affects the former's own schemes? And second, why do you assume that Oda is being lazy when colouring skins when he's a very colourful author that won't have trouble putting lots of different hues in a small volume cover instead of just thinking that he prefers clear skins but won't care enough to change the anime-established skins of hundreds of characters in an anime movie, not a manga special?

Anyways, my main and virtually only point is quite simple: Kuzan is confirmed to be based on a Japanese actor who shares his traits some people are attributing here to black people. So thinking that Oda will just go and see Kuzan as a partially black guy for no reason when he's part of a group of characters copycatting real world actors is quite a cognitive stretch.

The only reason why people thought Kuzan is black is because Yusaku Matsuda traits could be mistaken as black plus the anime colouring that has nothing to do with the manga's. Any other argument to defend that Kuzan is black is simply a respectable (because of the racial background) but ultimately delusional attempt.

I’m 35 so maybe this happened before I was born because I did not know about that.
But my point still stand being empowered because a fictional character have the same skin color as you, reveal a bigger issue.
Well, you can see it as a way to underestimate those people's reasons or as an example of how problematic racial discrimination and stereotypes can be and how big is their impact.

Last edited:

Kids are not more influenced by fictional characters than Historical ones

And what is my ethnicity exactly?

Yeah but there is a difference between imagine to be Superman and feel empowered by John Stewart.

No I just sick and tired of the victimhood mentality that emerge since 2010.

Well, you can see it as a way to underestimate those people's reasons or as an example of how problematic racial discrimination and stereotypes can be and how big is their impact.
I do not denied that racial discrimination and stereotypes can be problematic, I’m saying that if someone need a fictional character to feel « empowered » he has bigger issue to deal with than « representation ».

Okay, first of all, let's chill out. I'm far from angry, and in fact you're the one who rage quit with an "I'm out". I'm simply discussing an issue I find to be incorrect; which doesn't mean that I disagree with the reasons why you may want Kuzan to be black, as I think I've shown in many posts defending the importance of having a referent for the minorities.

Second, let's make a distinction between my personal taste and Oda's choices. I don't always like the colors Oda chooses, and in fact I'd rather have a vast spectrum of skin shades like in the anime. But this doesn't affect the canonicity of the manga and that it is the first, most reliable source for colouring. And Oda happens to prefer clear skins over any others.

Now, would I prefer Usopp or Teach to have darker skins? Of course I would. But your problem, and where your blatant reasoning mistake is coming from, is that you're comparing these two to Kuzan in spite of a very important difference:

Usopp and Teach are confirmed to come from black countries (well, "country", Usopp would be from Africa...) but Kuzan is confirmed to be a copycat of a real world Japanese actor.

See the difference? I'm making no fiasco because my point isn't even Kuzan's skin, that's my rebutal of this argument as support for the character being black. My actual positive point is that Kuzan is confirmed to be based on a Japanese person, ergo he isn't black. So there's no room for this recent counterargument of yours that would only work with characters that should be black like Teach the Somalian. But this isn't Kuzan's case: he's confirmed to have a Japanese appearance and his colouring is in fact appropiate because Yusaku Matsuda wasn't black.

To put it in simpler terms: your "white Blackbeard argument" would only work against a person claiming that he has nothing of a black person in spite of coming from Somalia beause he's coloured white. But I'm not that person and what I'm showing you (not even claiming, what I'm doing is sharing Oda's own explanations) is that Kuzan is confirmed as based on a Japanese person who had his same physical traits. So your argument doesn't even touch my point.

Then what's your point? Sure, manga colouring rarely has examples of changes and small variations within an overall clear skin. On the contrary, the anime has changed its colours way more often to please the schemes from Oda himself and his variations of skin are so huge that character with darker skin may be depicted with a clear shade after a certain point (Usopp, Robin, Shiliew...).

So again, why should we, first of all, rely on a medium with way more radical colour changes and not on the original work by the actual author because the latter has some little/occasional changes yet usually affects the former's own schemes? And second, why do you assume that Oda is being lazy when colouring skins when he's a very colourful author that won't have trouble putting lots of different hues in a small volume cover instead of just thinking that he prefers clear skins but won't care enough to change the anime-established skins of hundreds of characters in an anime movie, not a manga special?

Anyways, my main and virtually only point is quite simple: Kuzan is confirmed to be based on a Japanese actor who shares his traits some people are attributing here to black people. So thinking that Oda will just go and see Kuzan as a partially black guy for no reason when he's part of a group of characters copycatting real world actors is quite a cognitive stretch.

The only reason why people thought Kuzan is black is because Yusaku Matsuda traits could be mistaken as black plus the anime colouring that has nothing to do with the manga's. Any other argument to defend that Kuzan is black is simply a respectable (because of the racial background) but ultimately delusional attempt.

It's a fair point regarding Usopp and Blackbeard country...
But I will have to disagree on Kuzan as well... because Japan in One Piece is REPRESENTED as "Wano" which I don't believe Aokiji is from Wano...

Maybe that should be a question directed to Oda in SBS though.. which country do each admiral represent.... I bet Fujitora would be the only person as "Japan" LOL

But regardless... anyway... we'll just have to disagree on this topic
:kayneshrug:

I do not disagree regarding that MAYBE Oda does some wrong stereotypical stuff ( that isn't necessarily him meaning any harm)... but I just disagree on the topic that Kuzan isn't black LOL
I wholeheartedly believe he is...

It's a fair point regarding Usopp and Blackbeard country...
But I will have to disagree on Kuzan as well... because Japan in One Piece is REPRESENTED as "Wano" which I don't believe Aokiji is from Wano...

Maybe that should be a question directed to Oda in SBS though.. which country do each admiral represent.... I bet Fujitora would be the only person as "Japan" LOL

But regardless... anyway... we'll just have to disagree on this topic
:kayneshrug:

I do not disagree regarding that MAYBE Oda does some wrong stereotypical stuff ( that isn't necessarily him meaning any harm)... but I just disagree on the topic that Kuzan isn't black LOL
I wholeheartedly believe he is...
Not really, Wano represents feudal Japan but you have lots of characters with Japanese inspiration or traits:

-Luffy's hat comes from Japanese kids who catch bugs. Luffy himself loves to do so.

-Jinbe has oni traits and a traditional Japanese attire.

-Hyouzou not only has an octopus found in Japan as his animal but also represents a drunk Japanese stereotype.

-Sakazuki has a Japanese tattoo (apart from the looks of Bunta Sugawara).

-Whitebeard is inspired by Benkei.

-Enel has obvious Raijin traits.

-Otohime is based on a Japanese godess and has a Japanese appearance.

-Hannyabal's face looks quite like a hannya mask and uses a naginata.

These are some examples. You don't really need to be from Wano to have the appearance, or at least some traits, of a Japanese person or figure. Even within Wano you have different physical traits, with a few characters being strongly based on ukiyo-e paintings and others looking exactly like a foreigner if not for their clothes.

At the end of the day, Oda stated that Kuzan (like every other admiral) is physically based on a Japanese actor. No reason to think he's black, but if you find it helpful to believe so it is okay, I respect that. For me, there's no need to keep on discussing this issue.

Not really, Wano represents feudal Japan but you have lots of characters with Japanese inspiration or traits:

-Luffy's hat comes from Japanese kids who catch bugs. Luffy himself loves to do so.

-Jinbe has oni traits and a traditional Japanese attire.

-Hyouzou not only has an octopus found in Japan as his animal but also represents a drunk Japanese stereotype.

-Sakazuki has a Japanese tattoo (apart from the looks of Bunta Sugawara).

-Whitebeard is inspired by Benkei.

-Enel has obvious Raijin traits.

-Otohime is based on a Japanese godess and has a Japanese appearance.

-Hannyabal's face looks quite like a hannya mask and uses a naginata.

These are some examples. You don't really need to be from Wano to have the appearance, or at least some traits, of a Japanese person or figure. Even within Wano you have different physical traits, with a few characters being strongly based on ukiyo-e paintings and others looking exactly like a foreigner if not for their clothes.

At the end of the day, Oda stated that Kuzan (like every other admiral) is physically based on a Japanese actor. No reason to think he's black, but if you find it helpful to believe so it is okay, I respect that. For me, there's no need to keep on discussing this issue.
Fair enough