News Volume 96 coming on April 2020

@Charlotte Horchata
Oh also Look here
It seems that Usopp/Blackbeard and also Jozu are all white just like Marco
:seriously:

It turned out that Oda is fucking up "Whote bois" lips not black people... huh?

LOL

I hope those two example tell you that Oda's style of drawing black characters does NOT stand on shading their skin... Oda draws them ALL THE SAME

The skin color and hair color is MAINLY submitted and confirmed by Oda to Toei Studio

In fact... sometimes Oda uses a specific color in Manga colorspread for newly introduced characters.. and then he changes them and informs the Studio about it

When it comes to coloring... Anime is the CONFIRMED ONE here
You're mixing things.

Does Oda use clear shades for any kind of characters, even those that are probably based on real-world black people (just like Mr. 5 and Danny Kravitz)? Yes.

Does this make anime color schemes more canon? Not at all.

Is Kuzan's skin dark in the canon coloring? Not at all.

But hey, Kuzan could be like Mr. 5 and be based on a black person. Or like Blackbeard and theoretically come from a black-skinned country? Sure, he could.

Is the previous possibility valid? No, it isn't, because we have confirmation of Kuzan being based on a Japanese actor who shares his physical traits.

Period.

One single colored cover doesn't mean shit when studio confirms the color scheme from Oda..

I'll say it again... Japanese people NEVER CARED about black people sensitivity.. so for them.. they wouldn't care to make a fan fav character like Aokiji among admirals to be white.... but they didn't.... they confirm the color scheme from Oda and made him dark...
And studio confirms nothing. Oda has his canon color schemes and if he likes the anime's better he will change his own, but if he prefers his own first choice he will stick to that:

He liked anime's Kuma better so he changed his own, first orange scheme.

He didn't care at all about anime's Caesar scheme so he kept his own choice while anime did the same.

He didn't care at all about anime's Perospero's scheme so he kept his own choice and anime started to use the canon one.

So, as you can see, the studio choices mean nothing, only what Oda chooses to do in his own, direct work. Kuzan's canon skin appeared way, way after his anime introduction and Oda cared nothing about anime's choice as he stuck to the same clear shade he used with the other admirals.

You're mixing things.

Does Oda use clear shades for any kind of characters, even those that are probably based on real-world black people (just like Mr. 5 and Danny Kravitz)? Yes.

Does this make anime color schemes more canon? Not at all.

Is Kuzan's skin dark in the canon coloring? Not at all.

But hey, Kuzan could be like Mr. 5 and be based on a black person. Or like Blackbeard and theoretically come from a black-skinned country? Sure, he could.

Is the previous possibility valid? No, it isn't, because we have confirmation of Kuzan being based on a Japanese actor who shares his physical traits.

Period.

And studio confirms nothing. Oda has his canon color schemes and if he likes the anime's better he will change his own, but if he prefers his own first choice he will stick to that:

He liked anime's Kuma better so he changed his own, first orange scheme.

He didn't care at all about anime's Caesar scheme so he kept his own choice while anime did the same.

He didn't care at all about anime's Perospero's scheme so he kept his own choice and anime started to use the canon one.

So, as you can see, the studio choices mean nothing, only what Oda chooses to do in his own, direct work. Kuzan's canon skin appeared way, way after his anime introduction and Oda cared nothing about anime's choice as he stuck to the same clear shade he used with the other admirals.
You guys just wanna turn blind to Oda handing color schemes to Anime studio... sure okay
Just enjoy thinking whatever the hell you're thinking... If that makes you feel better about your nonsense argument

I know... you guys have more connection to Oda and know what's in his head and what he thinks LOL

I'm out

You guys just wanna turn blind to Oda handing color schemes to Anime studio... sure okay
Just enjoy thinking whatever the hell you're thinking... If that makes you feel better about your nonsense argument

I know... you guys have more connection to Oda and know what's in his head and what he thinks LOL

I'm out
So he forgot to hand Trébol's, Raisin's, Perospero's, Caesar's, Gladius's... color schemes to anime studio? Because all of them were initially colored wrong (and a few even stayed like that).

You understand that this isn't about having more connection to Oda but reading his confirmation in SBS 57 that Kuzan is physically based on Japanese actor Yusaku Matsuda?

While I understand minorities's need of representation, as I said, you are just making up your own reality because you want Kuzan to be black in spite of everything pointing to the contrary, starting by Oda himself confirming he's based on a Japanese guy. That is the nonsense here. The point isn't that black people are colored clear-skinned by Oda, as you're trying to counter-argument; point is that Oda confirmed that the clear-skinned Aokiji is based on a real Japanese actor.

Anime takes precedence over the manga in terms of colouring anyway, it's the medium where colour matters. Volume covers hardly matter for minor things like this. Law's hair colour changes basically every volume from dark blue to black. Don't put too much stock into skin colour on a volume cover, virtually everyone shares the same tone every volume, that doesn't mean they all have the exact skin tone. We know Oda said Teach would be somewhere from Africa (pretty sure he mentioned Somalia) same thing for Usopp, they have consistently been darker tone in the anime since its inception and Oda has never asked for that to be changed. He's supervised high budget movies where you can see the clear difference in skin tone between characters.
Why would the anime colouring take precedence over the stuff that Oda has drawn?

Especially on stuff like skin colour, where, like Oda on volume covers, there's constant chance depending on who's actually doing the animating.

I mean, I get the argument that @Jo_Ndule gave that there's different skin tones to black people. And that could well be the case for Ussop and Blackbeard, given that Oda's said they would be African. But he has quite consistently drawn them the same- in colour- so I don't see the argument that he's changed their skin tone or race in this volume as having much merit.

Also, Kuzan is 100% not black. He's this guy

This talk about representation...as if one need to have a character to be like him to love a serie :jay-yeah:
It isn't much about loving a show but having a positive reference for themselves to cope with negative stereotypes and discrimination they will likely suffer to a certain degree during their lives. And finding that reference in something you like is empowering. Not only that, but the positive character teaches the non-discriminated people that their own perceptions may be biased.

It isn't much about loving a show but having a positive reference for themselves to cope with negative stereotypes and discrimination they will likely suffer to a certain degree during their lives. And finding that reference in something you like is empowering. Not only that, but the positive character teaches the non-discriminated people that their own perceptions may be biased.
Man, if some people need fictional character to be like them to feel « empowered » they have bigger issues than the lack of representation.

Man, if some people need fictional character to be like them to feel « empowered » they have bigger issues than the lack of representation.
Thing is that their issues of marginalization may in fact be big. It is easy to underestimate people's need of tools for coping when we're in a better or simply different position, but as I said a fictional character can be very positive for their self-concept and the concept others have of them (especially when previous cases have depicted their group in a negative shade).

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Why would the anime colouring take precedence over the stuff that Oda has drawn?

Especially on stuff like skin colour, where, like Oda on volume covers, there's constant chance depending on who's actually doing the animating.

I mean, I get the argument that @Jo_Ndule gave that there's different skin tones to black people. And that could well be the case for Ussop and Blackbeard, given that Oda's said they would be African. But he has quite consistently drawn them the same- in colour- so I don't see the argument that he's changed their skin tone or race in this volume as having much merit.

Also, Kuzan is 100% not black. He's this guy

Manga is not about colour, and never has been. it's easy for him to just use 1 colour for skin tone, that does not mean every single character that has ever existed is the exact same skin colour.

Look through every volume colour in the history of one piece, he has simply used the same colours for skin, aside from the obvious fishman type.

Oda has supervised movies of the highest budget where everything down to colour is cared for, where details like this matter. These characters are meant to have distinct skin tones, it makes no damn sense for every human being in the entire verse to be the exact same shade.

Volume covers, and colour spreads don't mean a damn thing when it comes to skin colour, Oda is not worried about it, he uses 1 colour for skin because it's easier for him to do so, that's all. There is no "canon manga" colouring.

Law himself has went from blue hair to black hair on Oda's whims.
Blue:

Black:

Colour especially details like different skin tones, or different shades in general, are irrelevant in the manga. Never mattered, never will. Anime is the medium which has always mattered for colour.

Manga is not about colour, and never has been. it's easy for him to just use 1 colour for skin tone, that does not mean every single character that has ever existed is the exact same skin colour.

Look through every volume colour in the history of one piece, he has simply used the same colours for skin, aside from the obvious fishman type.

Oda has supervised movies of the highest budget where everything down to colour is cared for, where details like this matter. These characters are meant to have distinct skin tones, it makes no damn sense for every human being in the entire verse to be the exact same shade.

Law himself has went from blue hair to black hair on Oda's whims.

Blue:

Black:

Volume covers, and colour spreads don't mean a damn thing when it comes to skin colour, Oda is not worried about it, he uses 1 colour for skin because it's easier for him to do so, that's all. There is no "canon manga" colouring.

Colour especially details like different skin tones, or different shades in general, are irrelevant in the manga. Never mattered, never will. Anime is the medium which has always mattered for colour.
Strong World's the only one he was really involved in y'know. The rest just slap a "supervised by Eiichiro Oda" sticker on the

And you'll never convince me I'm meant to take the anime's colourings as canon over Oda's... especially since the anime also has a habit of changing colour tone. Just look at all the different Ussop's.

What one exactly is meant to be canon here? You're talking about the movies, well, the last one is from Stampede and that's one of the ones he looks the whitest in.

ZenZu

Strong World's the only one he was really involved in y'know. The rest just slap a "supervised by Eiichiro Oda" sticker on the

And you'll never convince me I'm meant to take the anime's colourings as canon over Oda's... especially since the anime also has a habit of changing colour tone. Just look at all the different Ussop's.

What one exactly is meant to be canon here? You're talking about the movies, well, the last one is from Stampede and that's one of the ones he looks the whitest in.
The skin tones change all the time, but not episode by episode or anything like that, overtime there are differences with what they go with. But that's not even my main point here, I'm talking about relative to other characters. (Zoro's green in wano is lime green vs the darker green he had before, but that's not an issue, the point comes across). Crocodile is sometimes lighter, sometimes darker, but he always has this grainy dull sandlike skin tone. Mihawk is always the most pale character on screen. All the strawhats are lighter post timeskip, so I won't really get into that. My point is there is no canon manga colouring.

Movies do matter when it comes to aesthetics. This is Oda's world being depicted on screen in colour. Especially stampede when we have a cast of over 100 named characters, you can clearly see that it would make no sense if everyone shared the exact same skin tone. That's just not a believable take, different backgrounds, races, islands etc..

Yet you go to a volume cover, and it is the exact same skin tone be it Crocodile or Mihawk, this is simply lazy colouring, ofcourse every single human on the planet is not supposed to be the exact same colour right down to the shade.
Saying there are no dark skin characters because some volume covers gave everyone the same colour, is faulty logic. One of the major points of an anime is to bring a manga to life, be it colour or whatever else. The manga does not weigh heavier when it comes to colour.

J

Jo_Ndule

Oda is one of the only authors who does justice to "black" characters imo. Puts a lot of effort into their design and character. They're not just repetitive stereotypes both design wise and characterwise (go look at Killer Bee and the cloud village for that).

I don't see what your beef is here. Teach is one of the best designed characters and so is Kuzan, and they are also two of the most prominent characters in the series.

Now Oda has done stuff like this
lmfao

But he's far from consistent with that. When he wants to make a goofy character he doesn't hold back, he's done this for other races as well go look at some of the Wano designs, namely Yasuie (Kinemon's wife, Denjiro etc.), he exagerrates features when he wants to. I wouldn't say he singles out any single ethnicity.
:kayneshrug: What is doing justice to 'black " characters lol

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact his mind is polluted when it comes to that.

Afro hair isn't exclusive to black people, in fact afros are so popular in Japan because a Japanese boxer called Yoko Gushiken. Nor as bigger lips, we have tons of both real world and One Piece's characters with bigger lips that aren't black either. Yusaku Matsuda himself, the person Kuzan is physically based on, had thick lips.

I'm talking about the only volume cover Kuzan has been depicted in, where his skin shade is literally the same as his fellow admirals.

All of Kuzan's faical features belong to Yusaku Matsuda. He had dense, curly dark hair, thick lips, an angular skull and a prominent nose. And Kuzan's skin isn't dark. It is the same as the other admirals as shown in their volume cover.

Look guys, I don't know if you are black yourselves, but I understand how important representation is for groups of people that have been historically opressed. But thinking that Kuzan is black when he's a copycat of a Japanese actor just like any other current Era admiral is delusional.
Afro hair is natural to Black/afro people. There exists Afro/black people in Asia too, that have afro genes and features.

Unlike other people who forces their hair to look Afro.
It's a rarity (very rare) to find someone who isn't black to have Afro features and hair.

Those Japanese actors you citing made their hair look so.

Maybe you or children from your ethnicity grew up watching all heroes and great men look like you even spiritual deities are portrayed as you

But dont come here talk to belittle people who grew up only seeing people thay looks like them are usually shown in a stereotypical ways.

If you dont know how much representation matters in a kid's life , then you should probably research.

Media always influences kids mind and make them think X is more beautiful, X is great, and Z is wrong etc...

Yet you go to a volume cover, and it is the exact same skin tone be it Crocodile or Mihawk, this is simply lazy colouring, ofcourse every single human on the planet is not supposed to be the exact same colour right down to the shade.
Saying there are no dark skin characters because some volume covers gave everyone the same colour, is faulty logic. One of the major points of an anime is to bring a manga to life, be it colour or whatever else. The manga does not weigh heavier when it comes to colour.
Lazy colouring doesn't make something less canon, though. There's no faulty logic here, only your disagreement with Oda's choice that doesn't affect the actual canonicity of them be them lazy or not.

Afro hair is natural to Black/afro people. There exists Afro/black people in Asia too, that have afro genes and features.

Unlike other people who forces their hair to look Afro.
It's a rarity (very rare) to find someone who isn't black to have Afro features and hair.

Those Japanese actors you citing made their hair look so.
I agree, but this doesn't really change my point.

ZenZu

Lazy colouring doesn't make something less canon, though. There's no faulty logic here, only your disagreement with Oda's choice that doesn't affect the actual canonicity of them be them lazy or not.
Ok so tell me what is Law's official hair colour, Oda has coloured it both blue and black before. Go on.

Even ignoring the fact that every single human being on the planet being the exact same skin colour in Oda's universe is illogical. There is no exact canon colouring, the sooner you realize this the better it is for you.

Similar arguments were made for Naruto, with Kishi who would always colour the rasengan yellow, yet at times, and on a whim, he just followed the anime with the traditional blue rasengan. Y'all are way too caught up in colour, in a non colourized medium. Manga is black and white. Anime is in colour.

If Oda has beef with the colours, he will ask for them to be changed. Oda has supervised movies where the characters are coloured differently. Because that is the true intention, it would look like an absolute joke if everyone was the same colour.

If we were talking about comics, you would have a point. Manga's got nothing to do with colour, def not over the anime.

Maybe you or children from your ethnicity grew up watching all heroes and great men look like you even spiritual deities are portrayed as you

But dont come here talk to belittle people who grew up only seeing people thay looks like them are usually shown in a stereotypical ways.

If you dont know how much representation matters in a kid's life , then you should probably research.

Media always influences kids mind and make them think X is more beautiful, X is great, and Z is wrong etc...
When I grew up people did not care about that. People were not crying because the lack of representation because people was interested in the character traits and personalities not their color skin.

As I said if you need to be represented by a fictional character to feel good, the issue is not representation. If your self esteem is build on the media opinion, the issue is not representation.

Great men and great women appeared in every ethnicity before the emergence of the entertainment world. Great men and great women appeared in every ethnicity after the emergence of the entertainment world.

The lack of diversity in fictional characters never stop great people to appear whatever the ethnicity.

Volume 96 with Official Color
@Charlotte Horchata

You talk about Manga colored as the official one???
If that's the case... Please tell me why the fuck are you all angry when Blackbeard "who is black" is here colored with the same skin color as Roger/Rayleigh/Luffy/Shanks/Oden...etc????

So, basically Blackbeard is actually white NOT BLACK.... then Oda was drawing weird mouth for "WHITE GUY" not black guy according to Your own view

Why are you so angry?

So... you guys have two options here:
1- Either admits that Blackbeard is White... NOT BLACK... thus this whole fiasco you are making and this whole angry rant is nonsense because he's not doing that to black guy... but white guy

2- ORR you admit that the coloring in here isn't the RIGHT COLOR and that it's fleshed out better in anime as Anime studio does take tips from Oda about character designs and color scheme which is the proper media for it

as a previous member mentioned @ZenZu

You can choose one of the two options here.. and both options will basically tell you that your rant is standing on WEAK GROUND