News Volume 96 coming on April 2020

Pink and yellow is, by far, Oda's favourite combination of colors (and orange his favourite color overall), so those who can't stand Enma being pink (not even that, it's more like a violet hue) should reconsider the chromatic criteria you're applying to One Piece because there is a clear incongruity. You can have some artistic disagreements with the author (I don't like Whitebeard and Roger's color schemes in the cover, for example), but that is different from despising a choice basing on reasons like it isn't manly enough for Zoro.

Pink and yellow is, by far, Oda's favourite combination of colors (and orange his favourite color overall), so those who can't stand Enma being pink (not even that, it's more like a violet hue) should reconsider the chromatic criteria you're applying to One Piece because there is a clear incongruity. You can have some artistic disagreements with the author (I don't like Whitebeard and Roger's color schemes in the cover, for example), but that is different from despising a choice basing on reasons like it isn't manly enough for Zoro.
Ummm they ones making a fuss are S fans .
Moreover it seems like purple cuz pink is definitely Roger shirt.

( Look the hilt Luffy is holding)

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
The colouring of the entire volume seems a bit off there. Like it's been filtered or something. Everyone looks paler/whiter than they have in other times Oda coloured them.

But Blackbeard is not dark skinned. And never had been.

I'd be very wary of throwing around accusations of white washing when Oda has quite consistently kept his characters with the same skin tone.

To be honest I can't think of a single dark skinned character in the series. Fishmen and merfolk are his analogue for racism, not skin colour, which is rather homogenous throughout.

There's maybe an argument that aspects of Ussop and Blackbeard's designs have aged... unfortunately since the late nineties and early 2000's when he thought them up. But considering the messages throughout One Piece I'm quite confident in saying Oda is the furthest thing from a racist.
Anime takes precedence over the manga in terms of colouring anyway, it's the medium where colour matters. Volume covers hardly matter for minor things like this. Law's hair colour changes basically every volume from dark blue to black. Don't put too much stock into skin colour on a volume cover, virtually everyone shares the same tone every volume, that doesn't mean they all have the exact skin tone. We know Oda said Teach would be somewhere from Africa (pretty sure he mentioned Somalia) same thing for Usopp, they have consistently been darker tone in the anime since its inception and Oda has never asked for that to be changed. He's supervised high budget movies where you can see the clear difference in skin tone between characters.

J

Jo_Ndule

I mean Aokiji's who is dark-skinned if I'm not mistaken is one of the most handsome sexiest characters on the show "Specially post-timeskip design" which is more detailed and muscular/vainy...etc.
So don't be too sensitive... Usopp and Blackbeard both of them somewhat had similar features EVEN BEFORE THIS cover page... in fact, many theories popped up about them being related because of how similar they look during the Orojackson time...
1 dude is created good and 99 are wrongs ... doesn't solve a thing or sound positive.

Oda as child had his mind polluted by western media where they drew black people lips like donuts.

The colouring of the entire volume seems a bit off there. Like it's been filtered or something. Everyone looks paler/whiter than they have in other times Oda coloured them.

But Blackbeard is not dark skinned. And never had been.

I'd be very wary of throwing around accusations of white washing when Oda has quite consistently kept his characters with the same skin tone.

To be honest I can't think of a single dark skinned character in the series. Fishmen and merfolk are his analogue for racism, not skin colour, which is rather homogenous throughout.

There's maybe an argument that aspects of Ussop and Blackbeard's designs have aged... unfortunately since the late nineties and early 2000's when he thought them up. But considering the messages throughout One Piece I'm quite confident in saying Oda is the furthest thing from a racist.
Racist person can make subliminal messages and still be racist toward some people.

And by the way Who the hell said Oda is racist?

And also, being Afro/black doesnt mean having Dark skinned tone always. there is different shades.

The talk here is about lips not "Oda is racist"

Last edited by a moderator:

ZenZu

1 dude is created good and 99 are wrongs ... doesn't solve a thing or sound positive.

Oda as chiled had his mind polluted by western media where they drew black people lips like donuts.

Racist person can make subliminal messages and still ne racist toward some people.

And by the way Who the hell said Oda is racist?

And also, being Afro/black doesnt mean having Dark skinned tone always. there is different shades.

The talk here is about lips not "Oda is racist"
Oda is one of the only authors who does justice to "black" characters imo. Puts a lot of effort into their design and character. They're not just repetitive stereotypes both design wise and characterwise (go look at Killer Bee and the cloud village for that).

I don't see what your beef is here. Teach is one of the best designed characters and so is Kuzan, and they are also two of the most prominent characters in the series.

Now Oda has done stuff like this
lmfao

But he's far from consistent with that. When he wants to make a goofy character he doesn't hold back, he's done this for other races as well go look at some of the Wano designs, namely Yasuie (Kinemon's wife, Denjiro etc.), he exagerrates features when he wants to. I wouldn't say he singles out any single ethnicity.

G

Gran D. Master

Oda is one of the only authors who does justice to "black" characters imo. Puts a lot of effort into their design and character. They're not just repetitive stereotypes both design wise and characterwise (go look at Killer Bee and the cloud village for that).

I don't see what your beef is here. Teach is one of the best designed characters and so is Kuzan, and they are also two of the most prominent characters in the series.

Now Oda has done stuff like this
lmfao

But he's far from consistent with that. When he wants to make a goofy character he doesn't hold back, he's done this for other races as well go look at some of the Wano designs, namely Yasuie (Kinemon's wife, Denjiro etc.), he exagerrates features when he wants to. I wouldn't say he singles out any single ethnicity.
It's only racist if the funny looking character is black

ZenZu

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that Kuzan is a black character?
I know the Admirals are modelled after those Japanese actors, regardless Kuzan is definitely made to resemble a black man, nappy afro, dark skin, prominent black facial features (i know this is generalizing but calm your tits to whoevers reading this). It's pretty obvious.

I already mentioned earlier how manga skin colour means jack all.

You mean my post? I just mentioned facts. Kuzan isn't black.
Kuzan IS BLACK
Stop that nonsense... him having the design of a character that was in japanese movie doesn't mean he's not black/ or depicted as a black character

And his skin is certainly dark... manga is "black and white" Oda even sometimes gives you impression that the hair is black when it's red or purple (like Katakuri for example) shading in One Piece doesn't represent the right color in manga
You want the right color of his skin... go fucking check the anime... if his skin was whiter... believe me Japanese people have no problem in making it white... So stop this nonsense..

Yet he has Afro hair and bigger lips.
Afro hair isn't exclusive to black people, in fact afros are so popular in Japan because a Japanese boxer called Yoko Gushiken. Nor as bigger lips, we have tons of both real world and One Piece's characters with bigger lips that aren't black either. Yusaku Matsuda himself, the person Kuzan is physically based on, had thick lips.

Kuzan IS BLACK
Stop that nonsense... him having the design of a character that was in japanese movie doesn't mean he's not black/ or depicted as a black character

And his skin is certainly dark... manga is "black and white" Oda even sometimes gives you impression that the hair is black when it's red or purple (like Katakuri for example) shading in One Piece doesn't represent the right color in manga
You want the right color of his skin... go fucking check the anime... if his skin was whiter... believe me Japanese people have no problem in making it white... So stop this nonsense..
I'm talking about the only volume cover Kuzan has been depicted in, where his skin shade is literally the same as his fellow admirals.

I know the Admirals are modelled after those Japanese actors, regardless Kuzan is definitely made to resemble a black man, nappy afro, dark skin, prominent black facial features (i know this is generalizing but calm your tits to whoevers reading this). It's pretty obvious.

I already mentioned earlier how manga skin colour means jack all.
All of Kuzan's faical features belong to Yusaku Matsuda. He had dense, curly dark hair, thick lips, an angular skull and a prominent nose. And Kuzan's skin isn't dark. It is the same as the other admirals as shown in their volume cover.

Look guys, I don't know if you are black yourselves, but I understand how important representation is for groups of people that have been historically opressed. But thinking that Kuzan is black when he's a copycat of a Japanese actor just like any other current Era admiral is delusional.

@Charlotte Horchata
Oh also Look here
It seems that Usopp/Blackbeard and also Jozu are all white just like Marco
:seriously:

It turned out that Oda is fucking up "White bois" lips not black people... huh?

LOL

I hope those two example tell you that Oda's style of drawing black characters does NOT stand on shading their skin... Oda draws them ALL THE SAME

The skin color and hair color is MAINLY submitted and confirmed by Oda to Toei Studio

In fact... sometimes Oda uses a specific color in Manga colorspread for newly introduced characters.. and then he changes them and informs the Studio about it

When it comes to coloring... Anime is the CONFIRMED ONE here

Afro hair isn't exclusive to black people, in fact afros are so popular in Japan because a Japanese boxer called Yoko Gushiken. Nor as bigger lips, we have tons of both real world and One Piece's characters with bigger lips that aren't black either. Yusaku Matsuda himself, the person Kuzan is physically based on, had thick lips.

I'm talking about the only volume cover Kuzan has been depicted in, where his skin shade is literally the same as his fellow admirals.

All of Kuzan's faical features belong to Yusaku Matsuda. He had dense, curly dark hair, thick lips, an angular skull and a prominent nose. And Kuzan's skin isn't dark. It is the same as the other admirals as shown in their volume cover.

Look guys, I don't know if you are black yourselves, but I understand how important representation is for groups of people that have been historically opressed. But thinking that Kuzan is black when he's a copycat of a Japanese actor just like any other current Era admiral is delusional.
One single colored cover doesn't mean shit when studio confirms the color scheme from Oda..

I'll say it again... Japanese people NEVER CARED about black people sensitivity.. so for them.. they wouldn't care to make a fan fav character like Aokiji among admirals to be white.... but they didn't.... they confirm the color scheme from Oda and made him dark...