General & Others Was WCI one of the best arcs of One Piece?

Was WCI one of the best arcs of One Piece?

• Total voters
Katakuri did not let him go. Luffy won walking away from the fight.
It was both.

Isn't that obvious ?
The Tamatebakko box,
I'm not quoting everything out of an assumption that you care about a rebuttal. No offense but I know that's generally not how internet discussions work.

I quote this because you start with it and probably by coincidence, it is chronologically about the earliest thing. First of all we're told IMMEDIATELY what the contents include so it's not a traditional storytelling asspull.

Second and more importantly, Luffy makes his own luck by eschewing convention. At Fishman Island he didn't beat up the errand boys. He didn't plea an extensive case, he didn't run, didn't argue, or carry on with many other possibilities for the situation. He ate the candy and atoned by giving away his treasure. This seeds a plot that blooms after 20 (!) volumes and the unlikely decision reaps the unlikely in turn. But I think you have to understand this concept to understand the main character of the series, never mind the rest.

It was both.

I'm not quoting everything out of an assumption that you care about a rebuttal. No offense but I know that's generally not how internet discussions work.

I quote this because you start with it and probably by coincidence, it is chronologically about the earliest thing. First of all we're told IMMEDIATELY what the contents include so it's not a traditional storytelling asspull.

Second and more importantly, Luffy makes his own luck by eschewing convention. At Fishman Island he didn't beat up the errand boys. He didn't plea an extensive case, he didn't run, didn't argue, or carry on with many other possibilities for the situation. He ate the candy and atoned by giving away his treasure. This seeds a plot that blooms after 20 (!) volumes and the unlikely decision reaps the unlikely in turn. But I think you have to understand this concept to understand the main character of the series, never mind the rest.
It's quite an asspull since the idea of putting bombs in a treasure box whose content had already been emptied and stolen is very silly and doesn't make sense in itself, especially since it could have damaged Ryugyu Palace and injured or killed people it someone had just opened pr shaken the box.

And these bombs destined to a thief should have been very hardly capable of shaking and making a mountain like castle fall.

It's quite an asspull since the idea of putting bombs in a treasure box whose content had already been emptied and stolen is very silly and doesn't make sense in itself, especially since it could have damaged Ryugyu Palace and injured or killed people it someone had just opened pr shaken the box.

And these bombs destined to a thief should have been very hardly capable of shaking and making a mountain like castle fall.
Whoaaa where did that come from man. Oda just making shit up again for his convenience
:lusalty:

...The tamate box is a well known Japanese legend where that particular treasure box (gifted by Otohime under the sea) is opened to reveal a devastating surprise. Anyone relatively competent in japanese folklore within the past 500 years could tell you what was going down by the reference. That is literally the opposite of an asspull.

Is it contrived? Maybe in a sense. I mean no harder to grasp than magical rubber powers that are immune to million of volts of lightning, but sure let's go with that. The chances of a thief returning to steal something they believed they had already stolen are non existent right? But that's a low risk high reward ruse that would play on greed and curiosity so it does make sense within a plot. I mean there's never been a such thing as a criminal returning to the scene of a crime ever, but still.

Finalbeta

Zoro Worshipper
Wano is aestethically superior to most probably any other arc so far depicted.

It also wields a particularly special meaning for Oda.

Historical references wise it's extremely solid, despite it boils down to fictionality, and the complexity of the political structure too. It makes Water 7 look like a joke in all honesty.

WCI can't remotely compare that wise. Although I appreciated the amount of differentiation Oda came up with the BPM, it's hands down the most complex crew structure, however Beast Pirates don't joke either.

That being set, the main storyplot itself of Wano also looks the most enthusing ever experienced in ages.

IWCI first half was the last time I was really hyped for One piece weekly
Agreed 100%. WCI second half was the game changer and for the worse.
I always felt very hyped to read the new spoiler / chapter every week up until WCI Tea Party.
There are few moments that felt meh and not right imo, like that scene "Why did Hody Jones resent humam so much?" And then he answered "Nothing, no reasons". And that scene of Sabo appearing in Colosseum and won the Mera Mera. But those scenes didn't stop me from being hyped for spoiler / new chapter every week.

My fond memories being hyped with spoiler is when:
1. Chance of a woman with snow logia DF joining the crew (which didn't happen)
2. Female gladiator talked big about killing Doffy (which turned out to be fodder crybaby)
3. When I misread the spoiler and thought Pica had stone logia DF. Like wtf, Doffy's right hand man actually have stone logia DF, so OP!!
4. When the blind old man is confirmed to be an Admiral (already saw it coming but the confirmation was still epic) and he suddenly summoned a meteor to Green Bit
5. When Pedro and Brook did their duo mission in WCI

Then WCI second half happened and there are 4 reasons it is so shitty
1. The birth of Big Meme. Peak of Big Meme is when she chased Sunny but then got outplayed by Nami, Brook, Chopper trio.
2. Pedro blowing himself up. He was my favorite character that got introduced post TS and instead the shitty rabbit stole the spotlight.
3. Luffy vs Katakuri. Luffy was shown totally inferior but he somehow ended up winning after spamming I will surpass you I will surpass you I will surpass you.
4. Sanji's plot with his family didn't get proper conclusion. Actually arc ended with Niji still shitted on him, Judge still shitted on him (which Luffy cringely misunderstood it as compliment) and he ended up using Raid Shit, shitting all his hard work and fighting style pre WCI.
Post automatically merged:

Water 7 = actual pinnacle of OP writing
Water 7 drama:
1. Going Merry reached her limit, which lead to
2. Usopp vs Luffy
3. Robin suddenly leaving the crew

Post TS drama:
1. Mocca who nobody gave a fuck about, is addicted to drug
2. Rebecca crying, waaah waah soldier san waah waah
3. We love Oden sama, open the border of Wano, we love Oden sama, open the border of Wano, we love Oden sama, open the border of Wano

[QUOTE\]ed by Water 7 drama:
1. Going Merry reached her limit, which lead to
2. Usopp vs Luffy
3. Robin suddenly leaving the crew

Post TS drama:
1. Mocca who nobody gave a fuck about, is addicted to drug
2. Rebecca crying, waaah waah soldier san waah waah
3. We love Oden sama, open the border of Wano, we love Oden sama, open the border of Wano, we love Oden sama, open the border of Wano[/QUOTE]
Corazon and the city of flevance
Even coala story was good
Doffy story
You are just a hater

For me I expect things like in Skypeia for One piece. I feel if Oda just wrote the manga about Rogers final adventure/voyage I would enjoy it a lot more than current one piece. True pirate adventure :finally:

S

stealthblack

considering the competition, arcs like punk hazard and fishman island were outright trash, dressrosa was not bad bad, but dragged until it became trash, wci was best pre wano arc.

But also had a lot of complete shit like everything with Sanji and the Vinesmokes.
that is what made the arc good !

katakuri and big mom cake chase was the shit part

Perfect preface. Sets the most adequate expectation possible for his grievances and depth of analysis.
When you're triggered and have no real answers, you resort to insults.

He's spot on with most flaws he mentioned, of course hardcore OP stans won't accept that. It totally messes with their idea of Oda being a genius that only writes perfect arcs.

The current is one of the best mangas ever
Why would he change that
If you really think arcs like Dressrosa or WCI are "perfect" or among the best OP arcs, you either

A) Don't know how to properly analyze and rate storywriting.

B) Have a very weird taste.

C) Haven't really read pre-skip OP and instead just watched the anime.

Just re-read the stretch from Jaya to Sabaody and compare it to anything we got post-skip. The difference is gigantic.

Last edited: