Powers & Abilities Western vs Eastern Dragon

Favorite type?

• Western

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • Eastern

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters
I'm hella bored and worstgen is filled with threads bashing someone so let's do something more neutral grounded.

A while ago I asked the community what types of Swordsman do y'all like (check the thread if you didn't). So now I'm asking something a little bit similar;

In fiction there are usually 2 types of dragons: the western one and the easter one. So the questions will be simple.

A little introduction to both tho. First of all, the biggest difference is the appearance with the East being more akin to a long snake without wings meanwhile the west is more akin to a 4 legged dinosaur with wings. And thus, the first question; which one looks better to you?

As for how they are "treated". Eastern ones are usually benevolent creatures protecting certain places. They are treated like Deities and they are, for the most part, benevolent creatures related to stuff like luck. Meanwhile Western ones are beings of pure destruction usually depicted as evil creatures, greedy as fuck of course and always wanting the smoke. Basically polar opposites. Although both are usually treated as extremely powerful beings in fiction at the same level as gods and devils. Which "treatment" do you enjoy more?

As for the powers. Western dragons are usually more basic being able to breath a certain element (usually fire but can be ice, poison...etc) talking about poison they might or might nor have poison fangs. Their hearts are usually top best items in a game and their eyes usually have special capabilities such as foresight or special visions. Alongside this, they also have extreme physical stats. For the East, they share the impressive physical stats although at a smaller degree than a Western dragon. They also share the elemental breathing but, they usually have the power to manipulate the weather or certain earthly "elements". So... Which one do you like more? (I personally prefer western ones because although they don't have as much versatility they are treated like physical monsters).

And last question. We already have an Eastern Dragon in One Piece aka Kaido but would y'all like to see a Western Dragon devil fruit?

Now I will show one of my favorite dragons in all of fiction. Beware since there are Solo Leveling spoilers.
As it turns out, Antares aka the Monarch of Destruction and the King of Dragons is easily one of my favorite dragons in fiction. Dope design, simple powers but highly efficient and cool, a literal menace when he appears and strong af as a dragon should be. And let's be for real, he's literally the manifestation of destruction itself lol. Who doesn't love that type of stuff?

Anyhow, Leave your thoughs in the comments, vote in the poll and share some of your favorite dragons if you want. (Hopefully the thread isn't born dead lol)

Eastern dragons are portrayed as wise and intelligent (besides Kaido) which is not really what you want to see from a dragon
Western dragons are more menacing, territorial, possessive and arrogant, making them more fit as villains. From a design standpoint, wings are what really give a dragon this aura of invincibility
Eastern dragons for me look like "godly" beings somewhat. They are more "majestic" and their calm appearance fit their calm attitude. They don't look half bad tbh but a western dragon just looks more like a "fuck around and find out" being which I love

Western ones, they have that aura of power (and dread, usually) the oriental ones lack.

The one I like the most, or at least the first one that comes to mind lol, is Bahamut from FFIX. It is a blind dragon with a huge pair of horns (which take also the place of the eyes) and a slender, almost humanoid, build. Also was a dreadful creature (for whoever played FF9).

Rhen there is also a dragon bossfight in FFXVI which is spectacular, a small movie. The dragon is the FF16 version of Bahamut, has a lot of pair of wings and spams lasers and novas like crazy. Good stuff.

Then of course more classic western dragons like Smaug from the Hobbit film but honestly I don't like that one too much, maybe too classic as a dragon and also part of a movie which wasn't good, for sure not for the LOTR standards. But the voice power was quite cool even if it wasn't used too much. Tolkien also had dragons in his Silmarillion book (the story of the LOTR world from its creation to the end of the LOTR part) but they mire akin to monstrous worms or mountain sized classic dragons.

The Rathalos is quite standard but cool as well since you can fight it (Minster Hunter games). And here there is a collection of pretty cool ones: the Kushala Daora, a dragon covered in metal, king of the storms/winds, can change his skin/armor like an insect loses its exoskeleton and grows a new one. And a ton if other ones bur I don't want to write an essay lol.

Once upon a time there was a man, a wandering soul
Lost in the realm of our kingdom
They say he was a king who fought a great war
When the dragons came into our kingdom and burnt everyone with a roar

Western dragons of course .

If he cant breathe fire and doesnt have wings that aint real badass dragon bro.

There is nothing more epic than fighting a dragon.

Once upon a time there was a man, a wandering soul
Lost in the realm of our kingdom
They say he was a king who fought a great war
When the dragons came into our kingdom and burnt everyone with a roar
Did you come up with that or is it from some manga, book...etc?