Manga Discussion What manga are you currently reading?

All manga I am currently reading broken into two lists. Ongoing meaning manga that are currently in publication and completed meaning they have completed their run, but I am just getting around to reading them now. I hope you all enjoy and find some insight from what I have written below.

Ongoing Manga:
One Piece
- It's the G.O.A.T. manga and the reason many of us are here. One Piece has been on fire for quite some time now.
Tower of God - Been a long time favorite of mine and the current arc is so damn good. I have no idea what is to come and that makes the experience that much better.
Kingdom - This is the most consistent manga I am reading. Art, story, characters are all amazing! Hara does amazing work on a weekly basis.
One Punch-Man - Saitama vs. Garou is already living up to the hype! I can't wait to see how the remainder of this arc plays out and see how it differs from the web-comic.
Mashle: Magic and Muscle - My new favorite Shonen manga. This story, in its most basic sense, is Harry Potter meets One Punch-man. A character driven comedy manga that has gotten more serious with an interesting plot as time moves along.
Black Clover - Action, action, and more action. The author always has his foot on the pedal, and it works so well for this story.
My Hero Academia - This final battle is shaping up to be an amazing conclusion. The villains are amazing, probably the best written group of protagonists I have read in Shonen. I cannot wait to see how things in this world will change in the end.
Spy x Family - This is such an amazing story. Great characters and plot development. I was very excited for the anime to start this week and it did not disappoint. This is a feel-good manga and a great read imo.
D. Gray-man - I have an interesting history with this series as it is my namesake. I have really enjoyed it over the years, and it's been sad to see the authors health issues nearly bring this wonderful series to an end. Great characters, mystery, plot, and setting. While it only comes out once every three months I am constantly on the lookout for the latest chapter.

Completed:
Beastars
- Another story with great characters. I also love how the author tackles social issues like politics, prejudice, racism (speciesism), and sexism. A very mature story that gets overlooked because people think it is just Furries.
Beast Complex - A collection of short stories set in the Beastars world that continues to peel back the layers of the issues stated above.
Chainsaw Man - I am not sure what all the hype is about but it is a fast and easy read. I tend to read this manga while traveling due to its fast pace, not having a lot of dialogue, and easy to follow plot. The characters are not great, and the plot isn't anything special so far. Also, the MC's motivations at the point I'm at are very childish and cringey.

Last edited:
For me at this point it seems everything manga related has gone south lol.

One piece suicided with Wano.

HxH is basically dead. It is useless to pump 10 chapters every 3 years if we are lucky when the story is far from its natural ending.

One punch man is still good but it doesn't release much, is it monthly?

Vinland saga story has been pretty slow in the last years, its top for me were young Thorfinn and the farm arc (especially).

I like Goblin slayer but the plot is going nowhere, there is basically no evolution of the story, it is a slice of life at this point, also monthly.

There was Heresy which was very very good for me but it was dropped.

Then there were also some good manhwa, but it is the same pretty much:

I liked a lot Doom breaker but a season has ended so it is on pause.

Same goes for the Legend of the northern blade.

And... This is it. What is sad is that while there are so few good mangas and they even go MIA someway or another very often there are craptons of crappy manga who deliver weekly the same stuff again and again.

@Fleet Admiral Lee Hung @Gehrman @EmperorKinyagi @SakazOuki @Jailer @Seth @Owl Ki @seven

Alright my impression so far after finishing Claymore with a minor reread for certain parts, bear with me because this is a lengthy ass post lol. (And avoid it completely if you didn't catch up because it basically spoils everything).

TLDR: It's absolutely great, short yet easily 8/10.

What i liked:

- Fantastic story with the violence resemblance of Berserk, somehow it isn't that long which makes every chapter either good info dump, full of action or both. You almost can't catch a break. The background of Clare/Teresa, Asarakam, Yoma and the mainland was great, almost identical to AoT, but great nonetheless. The idea of the Organization being the mastermind behind Yoma's existence was predictable and i'm happy that Norihiro didn't get Oda's fetish of trying to change the outcome of the plot just for shock value.

- World Building is amazing. Actual stake-holders in the world (Single digits, three Abyssal ones, Priscilla etc...) are not off-screened for 80% of the story and instead have actual impact and consistent panel time throughout the arcs. You actually get to see what they're doing and the back and forth between the top dogs with the MC not always in the middle of the action.

> The organization's development of soul-link with Alicia and Beth to destroy the remaining awakened ones
> Isley's attack on the South to prevent the West Abyssal one from allying with the south's
> Riful's relentlessly trying to recruit warriors

I don't know how to say this but shit was simply more "alive" than i expected. Probably the 7 years timeskip after Pieta war helped to give the remaining cast some spotlight?

- I'm convinced that the designs for awakened transformation are just Norihiro flexing at this point lol, these are my favorites by far:

> The fighting and powerlevel system is great. "Almost" everything actually makes sense with the digit system, and the violence/back and forth is amazing. The Pieta battle was my favorite by far. Norihiro knows how to hype his characters the right way.

I assume it goes like this: Beyond Abyssal Ones > Abyssal Ones/Number 1s > Single digits ~ Top tier Awakened beings > lower Awakened beings > Regular Yoma

Excluding few anomalies ofc.

What i didn't like:

I really don't have issues with the story in general but several things could've been handled better:

- First and foremost, Isley's death. I was really in disbelief that a random weapon by the organization that has never been hyped before kills one of the three AOs right off the bat, especially one that just recently defeated Luciela. Isley deserved a better death than getting ripped apart by Abyss Feeders.

If i could rewrite it i would have Isley dying in a 1v3 vs the 3 new resurrected Abyssal Ones in a final attempt to destroy the organization while Alicia and Beth are hunting Riful. (This way the plot convenient fight between Cassandra and Roxanne would've been avoided entirely).

> Teresa fighting Priscilla instead of Clare was really disappointing, Clare should've finished the fight by herself.

- The Riful "being" that stalemated Priscilla for a while didn't really make sense. Was it the offspring of Riful and Dauf fused with the destroyer? It felt like a random plot convenience to buy time for the Claymores.

- I was really disappointed that we didn't get to see more of the world outside the continent, expected to see some mad shit with the dragon clan especially with Rubel revealed to be sent from there as a spy. Like, a whole new arc could've been milked out of this to further expand the story. @Fleet Admiral Lee Hung I got the feeling Shueisha really forced Norihiro to end the story earlier than expected.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
@Fleet Admiral Lee Hung @Gehrman @EmperorKinyagi @SakazOuki @Jailer @Seth @Owl Ki @seven

Alright my impression so far after finishing Claymore with a minor reread for certain parts, bear with me because this is a lengthy ass post lol. (And avoid it completely if you didn't catch up because it basically spoils everything).

What i liked:

- Fantastic story with the violence resemblance of Berserk, somehow it isn't that long which makes every chapter either good info dump, full of action or both. You almost can't catch a break. The background of Clare/Teresa, Asarakam, Yoma and the mainland was great, almost identical to AoT, but great nonetheless. The idea of the Organization being the mastermind behind Yoma's existence was predictable and i'm happy that Norihiro didn't get Oda's fetish of trying to change the outcome of the plot just for shock value.

- World Building is amazing. Actual stake-holders in the world (Single digits, three Abyssal ones, Priscilla etc...) are not off-screened for 80% of the story and instead have actual impact and consistent panel time throughout the arcs. You actually get to see what they're doing and the back and forth between the top dogs with the MC not always in the middle of the action.

> The organization's development of soul-link with Alicia and Beth to destroy the remaining awakened ones
> Isley's attack on the South to prevent the West Abyssal one from allying with the south's

I don't know how to say this but shit was simply more "alive" than i expected. Probably the 7 years timeskip after Pieta war helped to give the remaining cast some spotlight?

- I'm convinced that the designs for awakened transformation are just Norihiro flexing at this point lol, these are my favorites by far:

> The fighting and powerlevel system is great. "Almost" everything actually makes sense with the digit system, and the violence/back and forth is amazing. The Pieta battle was my favorite by far. Norihiro knows how to hype his characters the right way.

I assume it goes like this: Beyond Abyssal Ones > Abyssal Ones/Number 1s > Single digits ~ Top tier Awakened beings > lower Awakened beings > Regular Yoma

What i didn't like:

I really don't have issues with the story in general but several things could've been handled better:

- First and foremost, Isley's death. I was really in disbelief that a random weapon by the organization that has never been hyped before kills one of the three AOs right off the bat, especially one that just recently defeated Luciela. Isley deserved a better death than getting ripped apart by Abyss Feeders.

If i could rewrite it i would have Isley dying in a 1v3 vs the 3 new resurrected Abyssal Ones in a final attempt to destroy the organization while Alicia and Beth are hunting Riful. (This way the plot convenient fight between Cassandra and Roxanne would've been avoided entirely).

> Teresa fighting Priscilla instead of Clare was really disappointing, Clare should've finished the fight by herself.

- The Riful "being" that stalemated Priscilla for a while didn't really make sense. Was it the offspring of Riful and Dauf fused with the destroyer? It felt like a random plot convenience to buy time for the Claymores.

- I was really disappointed that we didn't get to see more of the world outside the continent, expected to see some mad shit with the dragon clan especially with Rubel revealed to be sent from there as a spy. Like, a whole new arc could've been milked out of this to further expand the story. @Fleet Admiral Lee Hung I got the feeling Shueisha really forced Norihiro to end the story earlier than expected.
Alicia
:finally:

Glad you enjoyed it man, I agree it is a solid 8/10 manga with a lot of enjoyable moments and action. Not amazing but definitely still good. Lol

Claymore did get an anime, I’m not sure why it didn’t progress into the full story because I remember the animation being really good, better than most anime I see today.

My biggest issue with this series was always that it is a series that borrows it’s best ideas from other mangas and really doesn’t do anything groundbreaking on its own, there are no really original ideas or story elements at play here. That doesn’t mean it’s bad, just that there is not much originality to speak of here. But still an underrated manga overall I think.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢

What i liked:

What i didn't like:

Very glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

I also enjoyed it when I read it but it was hella long time ago and I remember some shit pissed me off, probably a fight. Not the result but who was involved in it.

What i liked:

What i didn't like:

This one is gonna he my next read probably, wanted to check it out a while ago but lazed out after Kingdom. Binged Sakamoto Days, might go for Claymore.

Just finished reading Witch Watch. It's a Shounen Jump comedy from the author of Sket Dance. I have to admit that the first few chapters were mediocre but it got better and funnier as it went on. Honestly, I think it's one of the best mangas in jump currently.
I recommend it to anyone who likes to read comedies.

Bakuman. Been really enjoying it. It's got some childish shonen tropes, but I never thought a manga about making a manga would be so enticing. Somehow the SJ office makes for a compelling story.

Although these are the guys that made Death Note, so their skill's been proven. Sucks that I don't have time to watch the anime.

Bakuman. Been really enjoying it. It's got some childish shonen tropes, but I never thought a manga about making a manga would be so enticing. Somehow the SJ office makes for a compelling story.

Although these are the guys that made Death Note, so their skill's been proven. Sucks that I don't have time to watch the anime.
Anime is also complete and is pretty goood. Should check that too.