Character Discussion What Oda emphasized on Zoro's debut, and how many of them has been changed?

before you read anything, i admit that zoro is a relatively good character, but in this topic i will focus more on the dark sides of him that were hidden.
5 things oda tried to tell about Zoro's appearance at the beginning

-First:
+he's weaker than luffy
+luffy easily realize the power distance of them

==>it doesn't change so far ...... checked

-The second:
+He easily gets captured when being alone and so stupid when believe in the enemy
+ get captured by fodder

+believe in gag, fodder character

===> though he is less stupid now but nobody can say is a smart guy................... checked

-Fourth
+He is a fraud, on the one hand he asked luffy for untie him, one the other hand, he said that trying to endure for one month
====> "i will never lose again" but losing countless time after that ===>still a fraud ............... checked

-The final and most important thing
Why Oda used food as a challenge for zoro at the beginning and it seemed zoro thought he could do this but he has failed to this game when asked for help and actually ate something.
=> He has always he thought he is tronger than he actually is
=> Food is represented for Sanji, zoro has always believed he is stronger than Sanji but the reality is ...............

Conclusion: nothing has changed, zoro is not a perfectly good character as many zorotard believe.

Last edited:
-First:
+he's weaker than luffy
+luffy easily realize the power distance of them
Nope. That scene you should just stated that Luffy is strong enough to not be killed by Zoro. Oda is always showing Zoro being superior to Luffy.

-The second:
+He easily gets captured when being alone and so stupid when believe in the enemy
+ get captured by fodder
Luffy gets captured way more times than Zoro. And that panel is Zoro letting himself get captured. Is way different.

-Fourth
+He is a fraud, on the one hand he asked luffy for untie him, one the other hand, he said that trying to endure for one month
====> "i will never lose again" but losing countless time after that ===>still a fraud ............... checked
He is not a fraud. He would endure for a month but Luffy told marines were lying to him and would actually kill him. That's why he asked Luffy to save him.
About the "never lose again" it was Oda bullshit. But whatever you can call him for that. Doesn't make him a fraud.

-The final and most important thing
Why Oda used food as a challenge for zoro at the beginning and it seemed zoro thought he could do this but he has failed to this game when asked for help and actually ate something.
=> He has always he thought he is tronger than he actually is
=> Food is represented for Sanji, zoro has always believed he is stronger than Sanji but the reality is ...............

Conclusion: nothing has changed, zoro is not a perfectly good character as many zorotard believe.
Food as challenge? What? Zoro almost never has that.

And I don't know any Zoro fans that thinks Zoro is a perfect character. We like him but Oda lacks too much with his development.

Nope. That scene you should just stated that Luffy is strong enough to not be killed by Zoro. Oda is always showing Zoro being superior to Luffy.

Luffy gets captured way more times than Zoro. And that panel is Zoro letting himself get captured. Is way different.

He is not a fraud. He would endure for a month but Luffy told marines were lying to him and would actually kill him. That's why he asked Luffy to save him.
About the "never lose again" it was Oda bullshit. But whatever you can call him for that. Doesn't make him a fraud.

Food as challenge? What? Zoro almost never has that.

And I don't know any Zoro fans that thinks Zoro is a perfect character. We like him but Oda lacks too much with his development.
I think an important part of Zoro's character is his lack of nobility in a Buddhist sense. He doesn't worship any gods but he's the most spiritual straw hat in another sense, but he's doing it in a weird way and not actually following the tenets himself. This is because he "walks the path of the asura" and takes bad karma into himself for the benefit of those with good karma. Luffy is still rude but he's fundamentally a good person who doesn't like innocent people suffering. While Zoro drinks to excess, is lazy and sleeps too much, insults people for no reason, has too much pride and disrespects people, lies to others and himself, etc. He's rude, violent, uncaring, and occasionally dishonest but this is all, in a way, to keep the consequences on himself and not Luffy.

"Nothing happened" scene is pretty much his entire character summed up. He's there to take the pain and suffering for others and do the bad things they shouldn't be doing.