Character Discussion Which of these 4 groups has the best written characters?

Group with the Best Characters ?

• Total voters
The quality of the good writing: Admirals.

The yonko are next, followed by Supernovas and then Warlords. After the creation of Cross Guild, warlords have fallen in my standing. And sadly, Kuma's beautiful writing isn't enough to carry them over groups containing Fujitora/Akainu/Blackbeard/etc. And I also think the writing of Kaido & BM is generally ignored and the fact is made on their flaws, primarily gag and powerlevel related things.. But storywise I think Big Mom is arguably better written than all warlords except Kuma.

Supernovas get carried by Luffy and Zoro tho. If removing those two, Admirals > Yonko > Warlords > Supernova

Warlords. I don’t think you can name a single one of the OG warlords you can consider poorly written.
Crocodile, what you consider a "Retcon", I consider bad writing.

Buggy, what you consider a great gag, I consider a world destroy bad writing.

Mihawk just fell into dog-shit writing with constant 180ing. But in general, he doesn't have a lot of depth compared to individuals of other factions.

Crocodile, what you consider a "Retcon", I consider bad writing.

Buggy, what you consider a great gag, I consider a world destroy bad writing.

Mihawk just fell into dog-shit writing with constant 180ing. But in general, he doesn't have a lot of depth compared to individuals of other factions.
Crocodile was never retconned. Dude was fighting for nothing to gain during the third match since his 20 year plan to claim the pluton went up with smoke with Robins betrayal. And OP always shows that fighters without a reason to fight are fodder compared to when they have something to fight for.

Buggy isn’t just a gag? It’s clearly destiny. Trying to say it’s bad writing is just denying that OP is a story about fate and Buggy’s fated to go to the top.

Crocodile was never retconned. Dude was fighting for nothing to gain during the third match since his 20 year plan to claim the pluton went up with smoke with Robins betrayal. And OP always shows that fighters without a reason to fight are fodder compared to when they have something to fight for.

Buggy isn’t just a gag? It’s clearly destiny. Trying to say it’s bad writing is just denying that OP is a story about fate and Buggy’s fated to go to the top.
- He was trying his best to beat Luffy.
- Even prior to that he was dogshit in CQC when Luffy was able to hit him due to water.
- He had been working on his dream for decade+, the same dream he's now working on again...that he didn't give up on despite going to ID and starting again. you assuming he abandoned reason to fight for and willingly lost to Luffy is some insane shit bro.
- Whenever a character's dream is ruined/foiled initially, they're enraged at the opposition so they can get out and get started on their plan again. If anything, he'd have a rage boost against Luffy, Kuro/Arlong/Morgan/etc all being examples of it prior to Croc.

Buggy is straight up gag. His entire gimmick of being a Yonko relies on Marines using a bloody poster and overhearing a simple phone call to get declared as an emperor. In contrast to that, Teach had to display earthshaking powers at MF + recruit notorious criminals + take tons of territory + whoop on an ex-yonko crew + whoop on a psuedo-yonko in Wang Zhi... to establish himself as an emperor. I have 0 idea how you're justifying the absolute dogshit writing that took place to make Buggy as a Yonko happen. It's a complete gag.

"Why didn't Akainu attack the head instead of WB's heart?" - It's destiny
"Why didn't BM use all out CoC and such against the duo? - It's destiny

Destiny doesn't excuse the bad writing.

Admirals and Warlords
Only Yonko that are really great as characters are Whitebeard and BB. And obviously Luffy
Shanks is meh. He's the average fan favorite, the hunky and ridiculously strong dude who everyone loves and wants to be around.
Big Mom had a ton of potential but fell flat once she chased the SH to Wano.
Kaido also had a ton of potential and his character can be great depending on the info we get from the Rocks pirates flashbacks.

We still know nothing about admirals and yonkos so i’m not jumping into conclusions yet.

To make admirals up there, Akainu backstory that preludes to his redemption arc will have the potential to be top 3 of all time. That covers BFF Dragon, Kizaru and pre-blind Fujitora in his early days then band with Dragon again against WG in the end.

Emotions and testesterones will go off the charts if that happen.

Last edited:
Overall warlords and as many have underlined they were better in the pre time skip.

You had Doffy who is one of the best characters in the verse, BB was a part of them for a period too (he will eventually leave the yonko group too but it is right to consider him part of that group), Hancock was well characterized as well, Croco and Jinbe too, Moria is another good and tragic character if we are talking about One piece. And they all fit the concept of warlords (corsairs) who fight for the WG in exchange for something in return. Mihawk was never really characterized like the others but mystery is a big part of his charisma. It was even interesting that people joined and left these ranks after old members were demoted. Yet at this point even if the warlord system is officially dead they still live and are all recognized as warlords.

Admirals for me seem almost 1 dimensional: dudes 3 meters tall who have different concepts of justice and a powerful df (usually a logia). Aokiji has shown some characterization when he collided with Akainu, left and joined BB but the others are still scarce, Kizaru recently has shown something but in the end he sacrificed his friends (and what was left of his soul) to follow the orders he was given, but at least he actually felt that. I don't know if overall is a good or bad thing. They also have good and bad moments (Akainu donuting Ace and Greenbull introduction) but at this point I doubt you can really expect something from them. Aokiji will eventually betray BB but it seems the others will be loyal to the WG until the end (if Akainu doesn't pull some SWORD twist at some point), GB will stay loyal as well (only chance is that he seems a diehard fan of Akainu and if Akainu betrays the WG then he could follow). Fuji is the odd one among the admirals, he will side with Luffy when the time comes.

Yonkos are weird too in a way, while warlords actually feel like corsairs (everybody is there with the WG to fain something, they have all their own agenda) the yonkos are similar yet different. They are like the super powers of the OP world but still below the WG, they have all the same agenda of absolute dominion over the others (bar Shanks) and tried different roads to get it. That was even good but BM was turned into a clown and that ruined the whole category in a way. They were also screwed by Luffy and unfair plot power, they basically weren't allowed to defeat Luffy by plot and eventually (Kaido) had to face a god reincarnate who can reality warp. At that point the yonkos as a group were already destroyed (at least as they were originally meant, scary tyrants of the new world) and instead a new yonko system was build were we have the child of the prophecy, good guy Shanks who keeps doing nothing really relevant until BB eventually kills him.. aside from traffic control (Marineford and pest control with Kidd and GB), BB who is still cool with the original idea but he superseeds the yonko category like he could not really be considered a warlords as well, he has his super villain plot he is executing since his introduction. And finally Buggy who killed the category even more by becoming a de facto yonko joke (unlike BM who at least is not fully presented as a joke by Oda but only most of the time).

Supernovas are filler. They were a cool concept during Sabaody but it was clear only Law and Kidd could possibly be rivals for Luffy (until they were inevitably turned into cheerleaders at the end of Wano). Anyway they have cool powers and even personalities but now they are just dropped sparsely in each arc so that they can cover some space but in the end they all failed in their pursuit of power (maybe Law or even Kidd will be an exception somewhat, and in a flashforward Oda can throw any weird idea he likes like Capone an emperor etc. but that doesn't count).

Last edited:
The Warlords by default.

The admirals have too little focus.

The Supernovas are filler.

The Yonko's writing is too hazardous and uneven. The lack of an extended backstory, active part in the story until Onigashimaw and of relations and dynamics with his crew and allies save for Big Mom have greatly hurt Kaido as a character and an antagonist, and no need to talk further about Oda's calamitous treatment of Big Mom even when she had so much potential.

All are written the way they are supposed to be at most, although some might not reach the expectation of certain audience

Yonko - 90% strength, 10% character/story
Admirals - 70% strength, 30% character/story
Warlords - 50% 50% strength/character ( you may say Warlords have more story/characterized than strength focus)

Yonkos are simply build around strength and power, that's about their whole portayal, character and what community think about at first impression more than anything else.
Admirals have least screentime, so far they have lesser strength focus than Yonko but more in-depth character than Yonko in general
Warlords in general are much weaker than the other 2 faction. But thus have more story focus and characterization, they're story and role are also quite different from the other two faction

Best written character so far among them with considering there's still way more to find out is.........Blackbeard.
If i have to pick according to faction, then Warlords - due to Kuma, Doffy, Jinbe, because they've got better character focus than other.

Last edited: