Chapter Discussion Which SH member could have gone far WITHOUT becoming a SH

Zoro .He was the only one that was actively trying to achieve his dream before he met Luffy.

Usopp would remain a coward in his home town
Nami would remain with Arlong and never get to sail the world and draw maps
Sanji abandoned his dream to find all blue and would have gone on to become the head chef
Chopper would have never left drum and would have never made a cure of all diseases
Robin would have stayed with Crocodile and would have had no reason to travel the world and uncover the history
Franky would have stayed in w7 and never built a ship to sail the world
Brooke would have stayed in the triangle never to see the sunshine ever and never see lagoon
Jinbei would have stayed s a shichibukai or under a yonko to protect FM
Damn.. All excellent points here. Luffy literally has the best power in One Piece. To bring those around to him. Look how many people he has changed and ultimately made them a lot happier. If im not mistaken.. Zoro was a pirate hunter so he would have been fine doing that and eventually becomming a great swordsman.

While Zoro may seem like the safest answer, I'm not so sure about it.

Even if he survived his execution, he was a virtual ignorant with no proper gauge of the strength that his dream actually required. Like a big fish in a small pond, he only came to realize how weak he was after meeting Mihawk and this happened because he travelled with Luffy to begin with. So I wouldn't be surprised if he had just ended up stuck on his own delusion or ultimately killed by foes with a strength his arrogant self couldn't lecture.

On top of this, I have my doubts about how feasible his dream would be without a top crew to travel with. My feeling is that things were less complicated back when Mihawk made a name of his own, when the Shichibukai didn't exist or was in its infancy and the Emperors weren't properly established, with Kaido probably not in his prime as a political figure and individual fighter and Shanks still a rookie. These are very important factors because, as of now, the world is in a Cold War and the New World, where Zoro should go to achieve his goal, is divided into four empires and, as Law said, you either face the emperors (and Zoro alone won't survive that) or join them (which would restrict him from facing opponents that would elicit a war).

So I don't think he would have gone as far as it may seem.

While Zoro may seem like the safest answer, I'm not so sure about it.

Even if he survived his execution, he was a virtual ignorant with no proper gauge of the strength that his dream actually required. Like a big fish in a small pond, he only came to realize how weak he was after meeting Mihawk and this happened because he travelled with Luffy to begin with. So I wouldn't be surprised if he had just ended up stuck on his own delusion or ultimately killed by foes with a strength his arrogant self couldn't lecture.

On top of this, I have my doubts about how feasible his dream would be without a top crew to travel with. My feeling is that things were less complicated back when Mihawk made a name of his own, when the Shichibukai didn't exist or was in its infancy and the Emperors weren't properly established, with Kaido probably not in his prime as a political figure and individual fighter and Shanks still a rookie. These are very important factors because, as of now, the world is in a Cold War and the New World, where Zoro should go to achieve his goal, is divided into four empires and, as Law said, you either face the emperors (and Zoro alone won't survive that) or join them (which would restrict him from facing opponents that would elicit a war).

So I don't think he would have gone as far as it may seem.
Actually i think he would have faced at one point mihawk for the same result. Mihawk would have been impressed by his words and determination. So zoro would have continued his adventure and finally join Red Hair Pirates. Zoro is the type of guy who follow a guy who has great value. I think shanks has that quality and of course Shanks would have been excited to recruit the guy who wants to defeat his rival Mihawk. I really think Zoro could achieve his dreams without Luffy if he joined for example Red Hair pirate. Shanks could have trained him more. If others SN survived, for sure Zoro would have survived too. But i don't know why but at one point Luffy and Zoro would have met and Luffy would ask Zoro to join him.

Last edited:
theyre all nobody without luffy
Well except jinbe, robin, and zoro at least in the east blue

If Jean Ango has managed to survive a life as a New World bounty hunter I think Zoro would have been fine.

Wapol was way stronger than him and would have killed him.
You can be stronger than someone and still have less chance of survivability

Like even luffy without the strawhats or even a mediocre crew aint making it far.
Especially with how reckless they can be and without the protective of plot

Actually i think he would have faced at one point mihawk for the same result. Mihawk would have been impressed by his words and determination. So zoro would have continued his adventure and finally join Red Hair Pirates. Zoro is the type of guy who follow a guy who has great value. I think shanks has that quality and of course Shanks would have been excited to recruit the guy who wants to defeat his rival Mihawk. I really think Zoro could achieve his dreams without Luffy if he joined for example Red Hair pirate. Shanks could have trained him more. If others SN survived, for sure Zoro would have survived too. But i don't know why but at one point Luffy and Zoro would have met and Luffy would ask Zoro to join him.
Could be, It is up to imagination, although Shanks doesn't look like the guy who grants you great challenge like Luffy, to be honest. That's another big problem, I think Shanks would warn you not to mess with King, for example, but Luffy would encourage you because he wants to take Kaido down anyways. But since at the end of the day many top characters seemed to become strong without facing opponents of such caliber, I assume what I'm considering works better in theory than in practice.

The others Supernova "survived", though. Kid lost an arm and was imprisoned; Apoo, Drake and Hawkins joined Kaido; Urouge is safe in a sky island as of now after defeating just Snack; Bonney seems to follow her own agenda yet was the first to be defeated; etc. I don't think they are good examples of ambitious people surviving in the New World, most of them just joined an emperor or were defeated by one the moment they tried to make a move.

If Jean Ango has managed to survive a life as a New World bounty hunter I think Zoro would have been fine.
Jean Ango doesn't aim at becoming the strongest at anything. Zoro wouldn't just try to survive there, and that's where it isn't clear he would have been fine. I don't think Jean Ango has ever claimed Jack's head, for example.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Could be, It is up to imagination, although Shanks doesn't look like the guy who grants you great challenge like Luffy, to be honest. That's another big problem, I think Shanks would warn you not to mess with King, for example, but Luffy would encourage you because he wants to take Kaido down anyways. But since at the end of the day many top characters seemed to become strong without facing opponents of such caliber, I assume what I'm considering works better in theory than in practice.

The others Supernova "survived", though. Kid lost an arm and was imprisoned; Apoo, Drake and Hawkins joined Kaido; Urouge is safe in a sky island as of now after defeating just Snack; Bonney seems to follow her own agenda yet was the first to be defeated; etc. I don't think they are good examples of ambitious people surviving in the New World, most of them just joined an emperor or were defeated by one the moment they tried to make a move.

Jean Ango doesn't aim at becoming the strongest at anything. Zoro wouldn't just try to survive there, and that's where it isn't clear he would have been fine.
How did mihawk do it solo then growing up in an era with stronger people ruling than there is now.

Lol, that's my answer... but apparantly some people just love putting him at number 1 even when logically it doesn't make sense
Post automatically merged:

You don't think Ice-berg would have broke the shackles of Franky by telling him to forgive himself regardless if SH came or not?

I mean that was the only reason Franky stayed in Water 7, I think

He still stole 200 mil from SHs aiming to build that ship, so basically, despite staying, his actions were telling a different story, so I think that moment between the two would have happened regardless...

Sure Franky on his own, with his gang, cannot progress a lot in New World, but he could still earn the interest of a powerful crew with his carpenter skill to actually sail with a powerful crew

At least that's what I think
I don't think iceberg himself can convince him to go. More than anyone the main person stopping franky was himself.

Without going through everything that went on during w7/Ennies lobby with the strawhats i dont think hell have enough incentive to leave or even forgive himself.
Even afterwards they basically had to lowkey force his ass too come along even with him wanting too

He would have probably made his ship and still guilt himself into still staying just looking at it as a reminder

I don't think iceberg himself can convince him to go. More than anyone the main person stopping franky was himself.

Without going through everything that went on during w7/Ennies lobby with the strawhats i dont think hell have enough incentive to leave or even forgive himself.
Even afterwards they basically had to lowkey force his ass too come along even with him wanting too

He would have probably made his ship and still guilt himself into still staying just looking at it as a reminder
Fair enough, I can agree to that

How did mihawk do it solo then growing up in an era with stronger people ruling than there is now.
Which Era? He was nineteen when Roger and Shiki weren't around anymore, Kaido hadn't established himself, Shanks was a rookie and the Shichibukai wasn't a thing. Sure, he had already started making himself a name by then, but we don't know the exact conditions this happened (could have happened in Paradise, for example) and, as I explained, I don't think the scenario was as complicated as now because it isn't just a matter of individual strength but politics and the system itself. It feels to me like Mihawk achieved his title when the world as it is now was just starting to take shape. Now the New World is divided into solid empires in a Cold War (not just strong crews), Paradise used to have dogs of the Government looking for preys (Moriah, Crocodile, even Mihawk) and the dynamics of the three powers are completely established. That's what I was talking about.

Damn.. All excellent points here. Luffy literally has the best power in One Piece. To bring those around to him. Look how many people he has changed and ultimately made them a lot happier. If im not mistaken.. Zoro was a pirate hunter so he would have been fine doing that and eventually becomming a great swordsman.
Yep Luffy has the most dangerous power in the world, he draws everyone to his cause both enemies and friends.

He has truly changedthe lives of many people, Zoro included. Zoro would probably not get as strong as he is as fast as he has if he didnt join Luffy.

Same could be said about Luffy, without his crew he would also have not advanced to where he is right now.
Without the sh willing to die for him and follow him, I think he would not have made it far.

I think Nami could have hypothetically found a way to get rid of Arlong, if she could manage to continue to bide her time, or maybe Jinbe comes back to stop him.
All of the others are screwed and die by their circumstances without Luffy.