Character Discussion Who were better as a villian: Crocodile and Doflamingo or Kaido and Big Mom?

Who were better as a villian: Crocodile and doflamingo or Kaido and big mom?

• Total voters
Doffy is Oda's best written antagonist although not his most effective one. Probably the only antagonist in the series who can show a vulnerable side and appear scarier from it.

Arguably, Crocodile is Oda's most effective antagonist. Alabasta was a slow burn of many smaller arcs and Crocodile himself was the first hard wall Luffy ever ran into. Combined with his James Bond aesthetics, multi-layered plan to cause havoc in Alubarna and the fact Luffy lucked into beating him makes Crocodile such an iconic villain.

Kaido & Linlin aren't even good antagonists let alone better than Oda's best. Kaido's goals are nebulous and he just wants to make a massive war. At least with Doffy, he had a deep set grudge against the World Government and had a reason to pursue such an outcome. Kaido just wants it but doesn't seem like the type to want the fame, power or luxury that'd come with it. He's just a barbarian.

There's an appeal in that, but for the big bad set up from chapter 650~ until now, I'd hope for something deeper and for Kaido to have more of a personality. He's pretty one note.

Linlin's got some complexity but it feels like every new side we learn about her contradicts the previous. She's an obvious gag character and that shows in her own arc. I do like the fact she's got her own nation, her own concrete plans and is theoretically smarter than Kaido. But she has almost no presence and her own cartoonish failures keeps me from taking this character seriously.

So Doffy & Crocoboy are much better. I think Kaido & Linlin fall short of average for Oda whereas the other two are some of the better examples of antagonists
Good summary, and the exact reason why DD and Croc are the best villains so far, even above BB and Akainu (the former will definitely get his time and might change that, the latter might in the future).

One thing in regards to Kaidou though, Oda might still go the route of underlining that pursuing strength for the sake of itself is ultimately empty. Like you said, Kaidou is just a barbarian, basically a buffoon who is looking for strength and does not care about anything else, that´s his goal, hence why he also takes in any strong combatant despite their affiliation or past acts against him.
Yet he is constantly talking about Oden, Roger, Whitebeard, guys who only got that strong because they had things to protect and ideals they stood for, which is completely lacking from Kaidou, and ultimately their death meant something. Kaidou´s death means nothing.
And i think Oda might ultimately go down that route to contrast Roger, Whitebeard, Oden and ultimately Luffy on one side, and Kaidou on another. Of course it does not come close to DD in depth, and ultimately it´s something Oda has done pre-TS for antagonists (use them primarily as contrast to Luffy), and it´s also not that appealing as a stand alone character, just like Hody was not a appealing stand alone character despite him making sense thematically.

And BM is just horrendous, her entire life is based on a misunderstanding.

In this post doesn't question who are strong if not who were better between Crocodile and doflamingo or Kaido and big mom (past, plan, representation in his arc...)
@Le Fishe D. Crydo @Debanv @Krusher1357 @Finalbeta @Extravlad @Roronoa Sanji 81 @Zoro D Goat @Orojackson Refugee @Roronoa Sanji 81 @Pantheos @rerere @ZoroSlaysDragonTuna @m0nst3Rx @Blackbeard
To the sole individual who voted for frauds like Meme and Crydo...who hurt you? :pepemotion:

Also, while Shichibukais aside from Mihawk do not usually enter the top tier debate between Wadmirals and Lonkos, you cannot deny that Shichibukais are definitely better written characters compared to and more interesting to follow than the Lonkos.

As characters, Shichibukais are as unique as the Wadmirals, not generic frauds like the Lonkos.

Oda did not hype the Shichibukais but did them justice. Oda hyped the Lonkos and instead exposed them as frauds. :milaugh:

Last edited:
I can see Kaido having the potential to be one of the best villians by the end of this arc, if Oda can pull it off.

Sadly, even if that were the case, Big Meme still drags the two down.

No matter how good of a villain Kaido will turn out to be by the end of this arc, his greatness won't be able to make up for the failures of Big Mom.

And since Kaido and Big Mom are grouped together in the poll, i'm gonna have to go with Crocodile and Doffy.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
Croc is def the best arc antagonist in One piece. Alabasta handling from beginning to end was great.

But DD was kinda a deception during his own arc. Before it he was amazing, he still had great moments in Dressrosa but overall his lack of originality, the same plot of the bad king rulling etc was a bit of a let down.

For now BB for his overall work is a better villain.

on topic : Kaido + BM suck hard