Powers & Abilities Why do people have trouble calling characters swordsman ?

One Piece is the only manga where people who fights with swords are doubted to be swordsman

Literally any other manga character who fights with swords... the fandom call them swordsman

This dude is considered a fuckin swordsman :

Now I’m not tryibg to say BM is or that the fandom is not ridiculous with all their conclusions based on nothing but still... there’s ppl who argued Fujitora was not a swordsman.

I’ve only seen this shit in One Piece fandom

I can only see two reasons : Mihawk and Zoro

1) it implies Mihawk is stronger than so-called character

2) it hypes Zoro’s dream

So they either want Mihawk to be weaker than character or to downplay Zoro’s dream and EoS strength

Literally there’s no other reason

IF Mihawk and Zoro didn’t exist people would have no problem calling any character a swordsman even Big Mom
Post automatically merged:

@nik87 @gojo @Jo_Ndule @Light D Lamperouge @Admiral Lee Hung @Ice devil slayer @Sentinel @Zowo @Cinera @style @Gensui Sazid @ShishioIsBack @Bogard @TheAncientCenturion

Last edited:
If Shanks was the WSS, the title would never be discuss. It will be worship like the « Yonko » title (which is seemingly the only absolute title in the verse...).

But yeah the One Piece community is the only community where being a swordsman is so controversial. But note that it only apply to top tier swordsmen and Law.
Because if a character is perceived to be weaker than Zoro and Mihawk, no one cares If he is considered a swordsman or not (Diamante, Kaku, Cabaji...)

It's not as simple as using a sword. Luffy isn't a swordsman and he's fought with swords twice now

You need to be dedicated to swordsmanship to be a swordsman, merely using a sword isn't enough as evident by the example above. This means guys like Fujitora definitely are swordsmen, but Linlin likely is not. Citing Kimetsu no Yaiba, which is a manga that entirely revolves around swordsmanship is obviously not a good example. How about Naruto? Sasuke uses a sword but isn't a swordsman, he's a shinobi.

Think of it like gunslingers. Just owning a gun doesn't make you a professional

My reasoning is actually that I don't consider Law a swordsman and imo he's quite clearly stronger than Zoro - so for me, it simply bolsters continuity and consistency for Zoro as I expect him to be the WSS but finish the story weaker than Law

Last edited:
Nah, I disagree even if I'm a Zoro fan. In other mangas you simply need to have a sword to be conaidered a swordsman because they lack the concept of df of any other kind of power who cimes before his swordsmanship. In Dragonball we have Trunks or even Gohan who use sword but they at best are swordsman after being Z warriors (brawlers, throw ki blasts etc etc) and the same is with OP, Law has a sword but it is only functional to his power, BM has a talking sword which she uses time to time and is very powerful but she also has a tremendous strength/haki and df and so on.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
It's not as simple as using a sword. Luffy isn't a swordsman and he's fought with swords twice now

You need to be dedicated to swordsmanship to be a swordsman, merely using a sword isn't enough as evident by the example above. This means guys like Fujitora definitely are swordsmen, but Linlin likely is not. Citing Kimetsu no Yaiba, which is a manga that entirely revolves around swordsmanship is obviously not a good example. How about Naruto? Sasuke uses a sword but isn't a swordsman, he's a shinobi.

My reasoning is actually that I don't consider Law a swordsman and imo he's quite clearly stronger than Zoro - so for me, it simply bolsters continuity and consistency for Zoro as I expect him to be the WSS but finish the story weaker than Law
Oda called law a swordsman himself so your feelings are irrelevant

I agree with you nut oda said law is a swordman, which is true, since his fighting style is based on a sword, which is enhanced with his fruit. He is clearly a swordsman. Since he PRIMARILY fights with his sword.

So the question is, is the primary fighting style with a sword or not.
Fujitora -> definitively a swordsman
Big mom -> no, because fighting with a sword is only a part of her style, she don't use a sword primarily.

So the question is, if the weapon is used primarily to fight or not.

For example, wb has a blade, which is of the highest grade.
Imo he is not a blade user, since that IS ONLY ENHANCING his fighting, which is based on his df. He is more of a brawler-type, like luffy.
Same goes for garp, kizaru ,aokiji ,akainu etc.
They all know how to use a sword, since they were trained like coby, but just like coby, they aren't swordsmen.

So the question for characters lile roger and shanks is, is the sword the primary fighting style or not.

I would say no. They are most likely brawlers, like garp, luffy etc.

None of what you say makes any sense

Why isn't Law a swordsman ? What if KnY revolves around swordsmanship ?? If One Piece revolved around swordsmanship you would have considered Big Mom a swordsman ?

What the hell is the difference between Law and Fujitora ?

Continuity ? So Law isn't swordsman because you want him to be stronger than Zoro EoS ? Which is basically my point, you're just doing this because of Zoro and Mihawk.

You're an hypocrite

And as such, I am sorry but the wss title refers to people, who are primarily using a sword as a weapon.
In this group, the person, aka mihawk is the strongest, which itself is a great feat.
But that does not mean, that he is stronger than people, who use a sword. For example big mom.

No one in the op world can say that mihawk>big mom, simply because they never fought.
But mihawk is still the wss.

Simple as that.