Character Discussion Why do People Think Zoro is Stupid?

(Poll questions are in the OP)

• Q1: Yes

• Q1: No

• Q2: Yes

• Q2: No

• Q3: Yes

• Q3: No

• Q4: Yes

• Q4: No

• Q5: Yes

• Q5: No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Discounting gag scenes is stupid.
Gag scenes don't fit the established rules of the story (e.g. Nami being able to badly hurt Luffy with normal punches), so I'm not sure why they should be included in serious discussion about a character.

Especially when the gag scenes are only played as gags and rarely impact the actual plot.

It fits haters’ agenda that Zoro is stupid and Sanji is supposedly smart. Yet what Zoro lacks in academic intelligence, he more than makes up for in flexibility and problem solving. Robin is the most conventionally intelligent of the crew by far, but when was the last time she actually came up with something halfway coherent? Zoro has plenty of the right kind of intelligence needed for a pirate or vice captain.

It fits haters’ agenda that Zoro is stupid and Sanji is supposedly smart. Yet what Zoro lacks in academic intelligence, he more than makes up for in flexibility and problem solving. Robin is the most conventionally intelligent of the crew by far, but when was the last time she actually came up with something halfway coherent? Zoro has plenty of the right kind of intelligence needed for a pirate or vice captain.
I am not so sure. Nami seems to me to be just as smart as Robin and Jinbe is very wise. And if by intelligence we take science into account, Franky is one of the smartest people in the world, behind Vegapunk, Judge, Caesar and Queen.

That is, there are different types of intelligence. For example, Crocodile, Doffy or Teach are masterminds who come up with great plans, Sengoku is a great strategist and Vegapunk is the best scientist in the world.

It's like in Marvel. Reed Richards is the smartest man in the world, but even he recognized that the most technologically creative person in the world is Tony Stark. And then you have Dr Strange who is the best in magic and arcane knowledge. Or Dr Doom.

Last edited:
Amazing post, man.

And yeah.. ever since I started reading One Piece, I've always thought Zoro had powerful instincts, and really great problem-solving skills; I believed he was the most rational person of the crew, and still do now.

Like you said, he came up with the X-ribbon thing in Alabasta, he quickly came up with ways on how to isolate and find Pica, and he also figured Whiskey Peak was a trap... He also kept the crew in line - especially with the Usopp fiasco, displaying his rational thinking.... something truly fitting for a first mate.

That rational and logical mind of his even made others believe he was the captain, and not Luffy early on.

EDIT: Also, the binary search part in your post is amazing.
I never even thought of that.

Luffy is the only true idiot of the crew, at least when it comes to non emotional matters.

Usopp, Brook, Zoro, Sanji and even Franky (let's not forget about the Baltimore lab lol) are only idiots sparingly when it comes to gags and lighthearted moments.

Zoro i'd say is more on the simple and ignorant side of things. He's clearly not studied in a field like you mentioned, but also seems oblivious(or just doesn't care) to a lot of the world's politics and positions other than the strongest swordsman, being pretty one minded about his goal much like Luffy. But unlike Luffy, he doesn't lack common sense and is more logical of who he chooses to trust.

Still, the lack of sense of direction, the fact that he took the longest to get Luffy's message, and his general unawareness and disinterest about a lot of the world around him show that he is still probably the second least informed Straw Hat after Luffy, and there's nothing wrong with that.

The "idiot trio" line is very much also just a gag and means nothing. We know Usopp acts like a clown but has at least some knowledge about gadgets and repairs, and Sanji might be a fool around women but has also pulled off some pretty clever plans on his time with the Straw Hats.

Last edited:
B

Ballel

That is one of the most amazing applications of intelligence in the manga, especially as Zoro has no traditional academic education.
We must remember that the One Piece world has a culture/cultural development far different from our world. What I'm saying , is that with a different focus people come to different solutions/conclusions in life.
Also, no "traditional academic education" features computer science. This comparison does not fit in here.