Questions & Mysteries Why does Shanks want to go get the one piece now in particular?

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
Shanks knows about the prophesied time that Joy Boy would come

He’s seen from the bounty poster that his bet on Luffy was right and he’s the one Roger was waiting for

So I think he’s on the move now as a final test to make sure Luffy is ready.

I‘m also curious as to whether the Japanese explicitly says Shanks is going after OP. He certainly says it’s time for it to be claimed… but claimed by who? Himself? Or Luffy?

Thanks for the tag nat.

Its definitely not a coincidence imo. He implied that he wasnt actively going after one piece for all these years and now with 2 yonko down, and luffy's awakening (there is certainly something with gomu gomu no mi and shanks and his movement for one piece)
Shift of power (may be)
Some prophecy (can see happening with oda)
Some ulterior motive (aizen level shit)

Seems like Rayleigh told him about the void century, maybe one of the reasons the WG is cooperating with him (only because it’s you etc). He recognized Nika on the bounty poster.
I can also see Roger entrusting that to him in the scene where Shanks is crying.

Little do they know the man Roger is waiting for is Teach

:zehaha:

djiayebee

☆ 𝕊𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕡𝕖𝕣 𝔻𝕒𝕕𝕕𝕪 ☆
not moving recklessly
1) he was afraid of Kaido and/or BigMum spies finding out how to go to LaughTale if they tailed him and trying to attack him
2) there was no meaning to get to the onepiece until now coz you need awaken Luffy

I am damn sure that it can be any reason except Shanks waiting for BM and Kaido to be taken care of. Shanks has so far gone on WB's shop alone and clashed with him, off-screen stopped Kaido and King from going to MF (dialogue indicates some clash or fight), stopped the MF war and bossed everything, dueled with the WSS, solo talked to the elders (one of the reasons that they may not be the most powerful guys on the WG side). The guy is not one bit afraid of challenging the top tiers anywhere, anyplace, anytime.

The solo talk with the elders is the only red-herring so far for me. Either the elders are not powerful at all (imagine 5 BMs or Akainus not going after 1 Shanks who walks into their palace), or they are too worried about maintaining the balance or they just respect Shanks too much. Personally I think that they respect Shanks too much since he like them is trying to maintain the balance of the world because he knows about some prophecy etc. and is waiting for the Joyboy to appear before he makes his move.

Btw why is Shanks near Wano, his dialogue would more or less have the same impact if he were shown somewhere out in the sea. Why did Shanks come all the way over to Wano? Is he here for Kaido's poneglyph?

maybe the key is luffy awakening
now that Joyboy is found n 2 yonko are down plus WG n marines are busy with Revo army n shichibukai remnants Shanks finally made his move?
2 old yonko is knowlegeable about void century n ancient weapon doubt buggy get the secret about that but BB maybe gonna stops shanks somehow ...

Is it the shift of power?

Does Luffy’s awakening have something to do it like the chapter almost implies with flashbacks of stealing the fruit?

Or is it something else?

cause Luffy is now ready ... before Luffy awakening the race to one piece was meaningless for Shanks

AL sama

Red Haired
Shanks knows about the prophesied time that Joy Boy would come

He’s seen from the bounty poster that his bet on Luffy was right and he’s the one Roger was waiting for

So I think he’s on the move now as a final test to make sure Luffy is ready.

I‘m also curious as to whether the Japanese explicitly says Shanks is going after OP. He certainly says it’s time for it to be claimed… but claimed by who? Himself? Or Luffy?
exactly this

to me it felt like shanks is preparing to be luffy's final test rather then trying to claim the one piece for himself

he even said after reading the news he wants to do something about red hair pirate's jolly roger getting burned by luffy's underling which to me looked like shanks thinks luffy is ready and he wants luffy to go through a final drill

Personal headcanon:

1. Shanks need Luffy to get all Ancient Weapons. Thus he needs Luffy to awaken Nika in order to defeat Kaidou, since Shanks has Pluton's master key and he knows Pluton is in Wano but he can't risk a death battle against Kaidou. Also he is the one that ordered Caribou and various other people to kidnap Shirahoshi to take control of Poseidon.

2. Shanks need Luffy to awaken Nika Fruit as Shanks' pawn to defeat another prophecied God of Darkness which is Blackbeard, and Shanks will sweep in and kill both to get One Piece and be Pirate King.

3. Shanks need Luffy to awaken Nika Fruit since One Piece must be unlocked / made functional by either Joy Boy or the DF-absorbing power of Teach, and then once One Piece is functional, Shanks will assassinate Luffy or Teach or both.

---

Once he get one of all of the point 1-3 above, Shanks will then proceed to take control of their crews and alliance by playing good guy and play them using deception / fake information ("Luffy, Teach and me had made a pact that whoever wins the isolated three-way final battle on Laugh Tale, take all of their armies-alliance-weapons etc and Luffy sacrificed himself to defeat Teach but his wound is too grave etc")

I don't agree with the notion that he's a gatekeeper or testing Luffy. He very clearly mentions having to deal with Barto as a result of it hurting his credibility. I think that's enough justification to show that when it comes to this character, it's not being done for Luffy. You also have his apparent relationship with the Gorosei. I don't think people understand how much of a red flag it is for someone allegedly not part of the WG, to just discuss things with them as if he's there to also maintain the balance in some way.

I get that he's very two faced though and thats confusing. This very chapter shows both sides of it. His crew wants to praise Luffy and see him. He's happy as well. Then he refuses and decides to go after one of his subordinates (for reference, look at how Kid was treated after directly attacking them, they certainly are willing to injure people who are against them at least). Then Ben pours him a drink without saying anything, Then he decides its time they go after One Piece. TCB may have translated it to seem a bit generic, but Redon and Eten did not, and both mention that the RHP actually join the fight for OP. Nobody is seemingly shocked he defeated Kaido either, which is interesting.

Idk, part of my theories about this character are the fact that we don't know much about him. And after Wano, we still don't lol. But that enigmatic persona does not tend to bode well for fictional characters if you are expecting them to be these perfect, ideological mentor/father figures. Just my 2 cents on that.