Questions & Mysteries Why does Zoro want to be WSS

It wasn't Kuina because he wanted to be the best before he met her, but she made his resolve even more sturdy. It seems Oda didn't start Zoro backstory at the beginning or just gave us a moment in his life. Similar to Sanji. We didn't get major part of his flashback. We didn't even get major part of Luffy flashback until later on. What do you guys think is the reason Zoro initially wanted to be the strongest swordsman.

Zoro wanted to be the strongest not the WSS.
Before he met Kuina he never fight a sword it's quit obvious in the flashback.
Why he want to be the strongest? Because he was born as conquer and conquers always has grand ambitions.
when did he say he wanted to be strongest???Btw he always wanted to be WSS and because of that he came to that master's place to learn Swordsmanship

I honestly feel like we don't need a second zoro backstory. Wano's nearly over and I feel like throwing this in there would just be out of place. And if Zoro was going to get a second backstory at any point, it should have been at wano.

Perhaps the reason Zoro wanted to be the world's strongest swordsman is because he was (presumably) an orphan and growing up poor, he didn't have access to education. As a result the only way he could uplift himself was via his strength.

I honestly feel like we don't need a second zoro backstory. Wano's nearly over and I feel like throwing this in there would just be out of place. And if Zoro was going to get a second backstory at any point, it should have been at wano.

Perhaps the reason Zoro wanted to be the world's strongest swordsman is because he was (presumably) an orphan and growing up poor, he didn't have access to education. As a result the only way he could uplift himself was via his strength.
Oda already hinted we are getting one so it doesn't matter.

It wasn't Kuina because he wanted to be the best before he met her, but she made his resolve even more sturdy. It seems Oda didn't start Zoro backstory at the beginning or just gave us a moment in his life. Similar to Sanji. We didn't get major part of his flashback. We didn't even get major part of Luffy flashback until later on. What do you guys think is the reason Zoro initially wanted to be the strongest swordsman.
Why does Zoro want to be WSS? Because he can and he will. :cheers:

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Why he want to be the strongest? Because he was born as conquer and conquers always has grand ambitions.
Yeah. He specifically told Kuina that one of the two would become the World's Strongest. I bet he is doing that also in her memory but independently also.

Are you saying that Zoro never touched a sword until he met Kuina? I thought he was already an established student in Koshiro's dojo. Kuina just stood above him in swordsmanship?

That's an interesting topic, but coming with a reason to why he wanted to be the WSS before his promise with Kuina is super difficult..
There's this mention of an old man at his village teaching Zoro Sunacchi or whatever..

Maybe he witnessed a duel between 2 swordsman.. He must have been swayed by something or someone like Luffy was with Shanks to take on that path.. Why swordmanship is so important? If he was an truly an lonely orphan, he wouldn't have some knowledge of the sword or he simply stumbled on a Dojo and picked up the sword.. That seems too random

Probably the old Shimotsuki guy (who could be his maternal grandfather or at least some kind of relation) used to tell him stories about Ryuma and the old country and Zoro decided “yeah, I’m going to be the WSS like that guy was.” And that’s why he knew who Ryuma was without being told, on Thriller Bark.

It’s not going to be a big long flashback, we’d have had hints of that in the actual story by now, but based on the SBS questions about the Shimotsuki’s coming to East Blue it is going to come up at one point. The best guess being after the raid is finished, when Zoro goes to Ryuma’s grave.

Yeah. He specifically told Kuina that one of the two would become the World's Strongest. I bet he is doing that also in her memory but independently also.
If I recall correctly, when Mihawk was dueling Zoro the first time, didn't Mihawk ask why Zoro was being so persistent and Zoro replied with something like, "For my own ambition and my promise to a friend."