Character Discussion Why people here hate Tama-chan?

Mr. Tuna Sandwich

SII - Sakazuki Incinerate Imu
Another criticism that I have against Oda's creation of Tama is that she is hindering the natural progression of the Strawhats. Nami and Usopp couldn't do anything against Ulti and Page One without Tama placating Big Mom. If Luffy's crew is going to surpass Roger's crew, then their growth should be natural. Their enemies shouldn't be nerfed by a plot device. What happened to Haki blooms in extreme situations? Wasn't Nami's fight against Ulti enough for that exact scenario to happen?

Oda and his editors wrote themselves into a corner. He made Roger's crew and the other Yonkos almost godlike in their power and viciousness. He also wanted to keep Luffy and the SHs as underdogs. It seems that instead of always getting natural character progression, the progression depends on the plot. Maybe it is me not having the best grasp on power levels, but I don't understand how the SHs will become the best pirate crew at this rate or without so many plot contrivances. Maybe One Piece is going to go on a lot longer than I expect it to?

I'm fairly confident many criticize the notion of her featuring in the series so often too, like augmenting the PIS factor in some way. In a certain sense I don't feel like her character is steering PIS, but I do concur to an extent that her appearence rate is somewhat overly exaggerated.

Oda could of spent more time focusing on other plots/subplots incrementing the arc's productivity and rendering it more qualitative either in my opinion.

The problem is not because of her ability since most peps believed that her fruit will be used against the Beast Pirates the moment of her introduction
The real problem is, she appeared so fucking much. This is her 3RD FUCKING CHAPTERS in a row, with the last 2 being dedicated to her, and i'm not even counting pre 1010 chapters like 1004. She just takes too much screen time, times that we could spend upon other SHs like Robin, Franky, Brook, even Inu vs Jack.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Trying to understand where others are coming from, I think Oda relies on Tama too much to tip the scales in the Alliance's favor. Her powers are a catch all solution. Feed a dango to a Gifter, and they are permanently her subjects. Instead of evening the odds in more varied and interesting ways, Oda goes back to Tama as a crutch. The other issue is that she takes up panel time that could've been used for others. There are dozens of characters on Onigashima, and Oda doesn't appear to try and balance it a little more.

Funny thing is that Tama's involvement turned out to become the reason why we're now seemingly getting the 1v1 fights that people so desperately wanted. Oda only failed to show us that she was needed to stop the fodder from interfering, but people are definitely exaggerating how much screentime she actually had in the war. The facts look more like this:

Half a page at the end of 995 and two pages in the beginning of 996
Four panels in 999
Eight pages in 1004
Eight and a half pages in 1011
Five pages in 1012
Few panels in 1013 (the rest was more Big Mom, Ulti, Nami and the Homies)
About two pages in 1016 (the rest was more Nami, Zeus and Ulti)
Six pages in 1017

All in all that's maybe two and a half chapters at best in the 23 chapters since her reappearance. There were a lot of characters surrounding Tama, like Big Mom, Ulti and Page One, the Homies, Nami and Usopp, so people tend to mix their screentime with Tama's screentime, plus a lot of it was back to back, like 1011-1013 and now 1016-1018. It mostly comes down to just giving the impression that her screentime was too much.

To me, Tama is the first child character in One Piece that I like and then we also got Toko. So the hate hurts me too. :feelscryingman:

I just don't find her interesting. Sure, she's a kid so I didn't have high expectations for her but considering how prominent she is in this arc, her being boring (in my opinion) while also taking up a lot of panel-time (for a character like her) doesn't leave the best impression for me.

Of course, Tama having a devil fruit that can tame animal people while the Beast Pirates are the crew ruining her island is pretty convenient. If literally any other type of crew showed up, she wouldn't be able to do much and I know people say other abilities are convenient but this girl literally has the means to turn a large chunk of Kaido's forces into her friends and that, along with me not caring for her in general, leaves me less interested in her than I I would've been before. I don't hate her with a passion or anything, I just don't like her.

Tama is an okay character, but her usage was super bad.
We already knew she was going to be very relevant with the gifters, but they are literally trash fodders. And oda is trying to make her controlling the gifters a game-changer. Gifters plot being so irrelevant, can be handled just by making franky throw some lasers and take all of them out. Even nami can do that.

Another important plot was with BM. This could have been such a good plot. And could have potentially improved BMs plot too...all in Drain.

Well, can't really blame everything on Tama's plot since the so-called war itself is trash with literally everyone except Kaido being irrelevant and stupid.

Main reason is definitely oda trying to use her to counter something which he thinks of as important and highly significant, but in people's mind is trash(gifters).