Questions & Mysteries Will Zoro’s connection to Ryuma be relevant this arc?

Will any happen?

• Total voters

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
If he was part of the main family, then Wado should have been his to begin with and not Kuina's. I can't really see a scenario where the famed sword of the family goes to a branch family member. Instances like that only occur when the heir to the main family passes away.

@HA001 in case you didn't know, Ushimaru died on Wano roughly 20 years ago. So how exactly is Zoro related to him?
Ushimaru held out for 2 years after oden died so whats that 18 years. Are you asking how a 21 year old fits into this ?

HA001

If he was part of the main family, then Wado should have been his to begin with and not Kuina's. I can't really see a scenario where the famed sword of the family goes to a branch family member. Instances like that only occur when the heir to the main family passes away.

@HA001 in case you didn't know, Ushimaru died on Wano roughly 20 years ago. So how exactly is Zoro related to him?
And kozaburo made wado. Its up to him where it goes.
Post automatically merged:

Sooo, he snuck away from Wano, somehow managed to navigate to East Blue, met up with Kouzaburo (Somehow knew he was there), dropped off his son, and sailed back to Wano?
Or in the 3 years prior to his death or even in the 2 years he held up post odens death he sent his wife/child away from the failed country for their own safety as all daimyos (and probably their families) were targeted to be killed. And being a fellow shimtosuki he probably knew where kozaburo was and sent them there.

And kozaburo made wado. Its up to him where it goes.
Post automatically merged:

Or in the 3 years prior to his death or even in the 2 years he held up post odens death he sent his wife/child away from the failed country for their own safety as all daimyos (and probably their families) were targeted to be killed. And being a fellow shimtosuki he probably knew where kozaburo was and sent them there.
It's possible, but that's pretty ballsy of him to do considering the people of Wano aren't known for their navigation, and they view the outside world as a threat. To send his wife and child off like that is just as dangerous as having them stay in Wano. Why not just send them to Yasuie and have him take care of them?

I always figured Zoro would be a descendant of one of the Samurai who sailed with Kozaburo, and was actually born on East Blue. But I guess if Oda wants to go the route that Luffy and Usopp are the only true East Blue natives in the Straw Hat pirates, then it could be the case. It still doesn't explain why he is stated to be from East Blue though.

Last edited:

Maybe sword was meant to be his and he would have gotten it in due time Kuina was just holding on to it?

Maybe there is a big story behind it.

HA001

Maybe sword was meant to be his and he would have gotten it in due time Kuina was just holding on to it?

Maybe there is a big story behind it.
Kuinas grandad made the sword. Its up to him where it goes. He also made enma and gifted it to oden. No reason why he wouldnt craft a top sword for his own bloodline. Infact since tenguyama recognised it id say wado is kozaburos personal sword he passed down to his son koshiro (and then to kuina)

There's to be some bond in my opinion, not sure if by blood or not. Zoro's consideration over Ryuma is no ordinary one. He would not have feel so inspired by him so casually differently. I think that Ryuma also had a black blade in the past, just like Mihawk does. It would be crazy if a common thread was releaved between the three, or maybe Mihawk is just a stepstone.

He's definitely meeting ryuma after the arc. Not that I can know if he is, but I really hope he shares Shimotsuki blood whether he knows it or not. It would just bring everything full circle, as he is the Shimotsuki clan's avenger on at least three fronts now.

I really hope his dad is Ushimaru somehow

A male born Shimotsuki wouldn't have to worry about a sword really. Look at four of the swords Zoro has inherited so far (Wado, Sandai, Shusui, Enma) and what they mean.

I hate to veer into fanfiction territory before we know so I can only suggest that Ushimaru could have sent him away. There are plenty of routes Oda can take if that's what he plans.

Last edited:

Cyrus the Cactus

Mihawk Reigns Supreme
He's definitely meeting ryuma after the arc. Not that I can know if he is, but I really hope he shares Shimotsuki blood whether he knows it or not. It would just bring everything full circle, as he is the Shimotsuki clan's avenger on at least three fronts now.

I really hope his dad is Ushimaru somehow

A male born Shimotsuki wouldn't have to worry about a sword really. Look at four of the swords Zoro has inherited so far (Wado, Sandai, Shusui, Enma) and what they mean.

I hate to veer into fanfiction territory before we know so I can only suggest that Ushimaru could have sent him away. There are plenty of routes Oda can take if that's what he plans.
Don’t forget that a Shimotsuki ruled the region with the only proper port in Wano - even in feudal Japan there was one port where foreign ships were allowed to dock in order to trade.

The fact that Yasu basically attached himself to Zoro as soon as he saw him should be considered too. Plus Zoro is the only person that Yasu called “Young Master”.

will he forge a black blade?
yes but not in wano anyway. havent even found out how that works first. with powers like awakening , we get an introduction to it arcs prior but it does not become a thing until much later. luffy at this point still has not awakened.

Will he get shusui back?
no
he will forge his own black blade
shusui should remain in wano .

Will he be known as the next ryuma or successor?
not sure

Is he related to ryuma?
I believe the author there is the one saying that could mean zoro's lineage?
why would he tease that if it had no connection
ushimaru
zoro
ryuma
just happen to all look alike. and for the author to say that makes me 60% sure he is shimotsuki and is in fact a descendant of ryuma.

HA001

will he forge a black blade?
yes but not in wano anyway. havent even found out how that works first. with powers like awakening , we get an introduction to it arcs prior but it does not become a thing until much later. luffy at this point still has not awakened.

Will he get shusui back?
no
he will forge his own black blade
shusui should remain in wano .

Will he be known as the next ryuma or successor?
not sure

Is he related to ryuma?
I believe the author there is the one saying that could mean zoro's lineage?
why would he tease that if it had no connection
ushimaru
zoro
ryuma
just happen to all look alike. and for the author to say that makes me 60% sure he is shimotsuki and is in fact a descendant of ryuma.
Like we learned about fs arcs before luffy gained it...

Like we learned about fs arcs before luffy gained it...
fs was an immediate powerup to defeat an opponent just like ryou was this arc.
this is not the case with zoro
black blades were teased again but nothing more
to even forge one
he needs to understand what it is first. he was about to ask gyukimaru but got cut short
clear sign the author doesnt want to give too much on it for now, and reserves it for later.
he doesnt need a black blade to take down or damage anyone here.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
fs was an immediate powerup to defeat an opponent just like ryou was this arc.
this is not the case with zoro
black blades were teased again but nothing more
to even forge one
he needs to understand what it is first. he was about to ask gyukimaru but got cut short
clear sign the author doesnt want to give too much on it for now, and reserves it for later.
he doesnt need a black blade to take down or damage anyone here.
What if Kaido applies Hardening on top of his scales and becomes even harder and Zoro cant cut him without a Kokuto? :myman:

Don’t forget that a Shimotsuki ruled the region with the only proper port in Wano - even in feudal Japan there was one port where foreign ships were allowed to dock in order to trade.

The fact that Yasu basically attached himself to Zoro as soon as he saw him should be considered too. Plus Zoro is the only person that Yasu called “Young Master”.
That's what I mean. Aside from the major similarities and bond to the will of ryuma, the quickly formed bond and vow to avenge yasu is so much like the vow to kuina. It's possible but a little weird that he's so connected to this clan without being one

1. Either Zoro will forged a black blade after Wano or after Elbaf. Either one is fine.
2. He will leave Wano with Wado, Enma, and Nidai so he ain't taking Shusui back.
3. I hope so.
4. I don't think he's related to Ryuma by any chance.