General & Others Would wano be a better arc by the end if one of the mugis die at the end of it?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere a long time ago that Oda said when he does death in One Piece it has to impactful to the story. He's not going to just put it in there for pure shock value.

Wano is the perfect place to make that happen as the stakes here are just as high as they were in Marineford.
Oda dedicated a whole chapter to the supposedly "tragic and heartbreaking death" of Pound.

A chapter that is now utterly meaningless in hindsight. Not only that, but it also made the BM pirates look even more like a joke than they already were.

Even Morj called it "one of the worst writings I've seen from Oda" and that really means something, since he never criticizes something "just because".

Why do people have a hard on for OP characters dying... Who gives a fuck...
Because Oda always tries to build up tension and stakes by putting characters in horrible situations, only to cop out again and basically never kill anyone (sans WB/Ace).

At one point most readers were just fed up. How can you take those tension moments seriously, when you just know that Oda won't be consequent and kill off somebody anyway.

That's why all those fake-tension scenes have become cringeworthy the longer the series goes on.

Either grow the balls and finally DO kill off some characters in those scenes for once, or just accept that you're not that type of writer and stop doing those fake-tension moments alltogether.

Last edited:
Oda dedicated a whole chapter to the supposedly "tragic and heartbreaking death" of Pound.

A chapter that is now utterly meaningless in hindsight. Not only that, but it also made the BM pirates look even more like a joke than they already were.

Even Morj called it "one of the worst writings I've seen from Oda" and that really means something, since he never criticizes something "just because".

Because Oda always tries to build up tension and stakes by putting characters in horrible situations, only to cop out again and basically never kill anyone (sans WB/Ace).

At one point most readers were just fed up. How can you take those tension moments seriously, when you just know that Oda won't be consequent and kill off somebody anyway.

That's why all those fake-tension scenes have become cringeworthy the longer the series goes on.

Either grow the balls and finally DO kill off some characters in those scenes for once, or just accept that you're not that type of writer and stop doing those fake-tension moments alltogether.
Yeah, even I normally don't mind when Oda uses those tension scenes because I know what to expect. But the whole Pound situation really rubbed me the wrong way. It was a beautiful buildup and send off to a character you wouldn't think could have an emotional impact like that. To make the fans care about such a minor character in that way is no easy feat. Then when I saw him reappear in the cover story a few chapters back, that's where I drew the line.

You know me, during WCI, I argued heavily that no major support characters needed to die. I was content with what we got with Pound. After he was brought back though, now I am all in with the fact that Oda needs to drop a few bodies here in Wano. This isn't no infiltrate, rescue, and get the hell out mission. These guys are attacking two Yonko's head on, while being grossly underprepared. If taking down just one Yonko was this simple the Marines would have done it ages ago. That's why I firmly maintain that this raid needs to end in failure, and it has to come at a heavy cost.

Yeah, even I normally don't mind when Oda uses those tension scenes because I know what to expect. But the whole Pound situation really rubbed me the wrong way. It was a beautiful buildup and send off to a character you wouldn't think could have an emotional impact like that. To make the fans care about such a minor character in that way is no easy feat. Then when I saw him reappear in the cover story a few chapters back, that's where I drew the line.

You know me, during WCI, I argued heavily that no major support characters needed to die. I was content with what we got with Pound. After he was brought back though, now I am all in with the fact that Oda needs to drop a few bodies here in Wano. This isn't no infiltrate, rescue, and get the hell out mission. These guys are attacking two Yonko's head on, while being grossly underprepared. If taking down just one Yonko was this simple the Marines would have done it ages ago. That's why I firmly maintain that this raid needs to end in failure, and it has to come at a heavy cost.
Yep, I sign all of this.

I personally would've preferred much more consequences during WCI's second half, but at least I could understand everyone who said that OP just isn't this type of shonen manga and that the deaths of Moscato, Pedro and Pound and Jinbei staying behind and sacrificing himself was enough to show the threat.

But since then we learned that Moscato actually never died, Pound somehow survived and that Jinbei made it out of there without any scratches/consequences.

That really rubbed me the wrong way. I only hope that Oda will not bring back Pedro, but I somehow fear a Igaram/Pell scenario here ...

Yep, I sign all of this.

I personally would've preferred much more consequences during WCI's second half, but at least I could understand everyone who said that OP just isn't this type of shonen manga and that the deaths of Moscato, Pedro and Pound and Jinbei staying behind and sacrificing himself was enough to show the threat.

But since then we learned that Moscato actually never died, Pound somehow survived and that Jinbei made it out of there without any scratches/consequences.

That really rubbed me the wrong way. I only hope that Oda will not bring back Pedro, but I somehow fear a Igaram/Pell scenario here ...
The funny part is, is I would have wagered that Pedro would have been the one to have been brought back considering how rushed his death was in comparison to how greatly executed Pound's "death" was. So I am hoping at least that one sticks.

And I know there was heavy emphasis placed on the sibling bonds between the Big Mom Pirates, and it's possible Oda could go that route as to why Oven didn't finish off Pound completely because he cares for his sisters so he didn't want to kill their father etc.. etc.. But if that was the case Oda should have emphasized that much greater in the arc itself. It would make sense for someone like Katakuri because his whole schtick was how much he loved and wanted to protect his siblings, but it wouldn't be very convincing with Oven. Oven had a few minor instances here and there, but was portrayed to be much more cold hearted more so than genuine loving brother figure.

Last edited:
Oven wanted to Kill Pound before he even found out about him betraying them , the overall Family is portrayed as being raised to view their Fathers and stepfathers with disgust and hatred , Big Mom doesn't even allow The children to know who their fathers are to the point that Cracker outright said he doesn't know if Pound is his biological father or not and that he doesn't care

It would be way too out of character for him to spare him

There's a recurring problem on how some people request more deaths as a way to increase the level of maturity.

That approach is quite edgy by itself. A death from time to time won't do such magic because One Piece isn't meant to be mature to begin with, and I'm personally fine with it. The issue here is, as others have already pointed out, Oda's fetish with fake tension and I'll add his difficulty to choose a path and stick to it without exploring the alternatives too.

In consequence, stuff like Pound's happens: his death was executed perfectly, but it feels like Oda couldn't prevent himself from exploring the second path of the family meeting with Lola and Chiffon. This lead, as we all know, to virtually destroying his death chapter, turning it into a cheap tension tool that actually created the plot hole of how he survived (because Oven wouldn't let him live, let's get that right). And Pound isn't the only example, since this even reaches Ace in some degree considering that Sabo strongly feels like a patch to keep Ace's current plot somehow alive while having him dead.

I can't help but remembering that scene with Luffy telling Vivi that she can't protect everyone because it is a war and people die. Maybe Oda should remember it too so he can, at least, focus his choices and create tense moments of actual value.

Stop oda isn’t going to kill his most marketable character

Post automatically merged:

Not mugis but at least someone.

I want Momo, Carrot, and Big Mom to die.

I can't fucking stand the thought of having Big Mom in yet another arc post Wano holy f.
Big mom will outlive us all

I would 100% kill Brook, and that would make Wano instantly better. :akaman:

After the whole thing with Pound, I've kind of lost all hope of someone dying during the war.
Please dont speak his name again, as it stands i just close my eyes and skip the cover pages till i know that whole shitshow is over.

:seriously::seriously::seriously:

Y’all need to start writing your own fanfics, I swear...incredible how much some of you are CLAMORING for main characters of over 15-20 years to be killed off right before the story’s climax.
Whats law's goal ? The shs still have to achieve their dreams.But a lot of side characters can die. IE all the scabbards/law,etc

Last edited:
No, it would be worse. It’s not the time and place for a strawhat to die, so if it were to happen the arc would definitely be worse.

I read earlier in this thread someone said it’d make it more mature, which I found quite odd. Its subjective I guess, but I wouldnt say a death alone makes the story more mature.

I know its impossible to happen since Oda doesnt like killing off his most beloved characters, but since many of you believe that the strawhats are protected by plot armor, my question is the following... If a miracle happens and Oda decide to kill off Zoro or Ussop (their utility is not that big to the crew), how would you feel about it? Would you still consider Wano a trash arc or your perception would change?
Aside from the above question, for the ones that think this arc is garbage... Is Wano capable of redeem itself or there is no possibility that you turn your mind into a different perspective?
"Their utility is not that big to the crew " What a fucking joke this statement is. How stupid are you ? Think again, aside from robin, every fucking member can be easily replaced. But would the quality of the person that replaced the character be sufficient ? There are hundreds upon thousands of cooks but would most of them be able to fight ? To cook as well as sanji ? Same goes for every fucking character. You can replace zoro, sure , but you are saying it as if it that person would be fucking willing to kill themselves for the crew ! He has done so fucking much for the crew and this is how you view his character ? As being useless , disposable, replacable punching bag ?

Back to the question, just what the fuck do you mean by saying wano need to redeem itself. The arc hasn't gotten anywhere yet, it is still in its early stages of building tension, conflicts and preparing for it eventual climax . What do you fucking want ?

How would any character dying automatically makes an arc better ? That is not what makes an arc good, what makes it good is its character, its plot, how the emotional and physical tension is built up and released , the interactions, the immersion. Further more there are also its lasting effect, and most importantly how it tie in to the overall story. Sometimes the death of a character serve the purpose of meeting the aforementioned criteria, but it has to be congurent with the flow of the story. In a another word the death of a character alone does not make a arc good , never, it has to tie in and work with other aspect of the story.

I just don't understand how you can fucking say such BS garbage. If you think that their utility isn't of much help to the crew then i am guessing it's because only in combat do they have a role , right ? JUST FUCKING THINK. Robin spend all day reading books , Brook fucking play music, chopper main role only comes in after the fight. They ALL have ESSENTIAL roles which comes into play at different times , some harder and more dangerous than others. Saying that their utility not that big is a fucking insult.

Last edited: