Character Discussion Yamato officially (!) confirmed to be a girl (and not a trans-person)

I sincerely believe this whole issue comes from Oda wanting to "subvert expectations" on Kaido having a "son" who turned out to be female when introduced, but things went out of hand.

The problem here is obvious. We have an explicit statement from Yamato turning into a man because Oden was a man too (chapter 984). It's not like Yamato identified as a man and then added Oden's identity to his own (I will refer to him as masculine, for now, since that's his current self-definition). The problem, however, is Kaido and the Beast Pirates treating him as a man too, because I highly doubt his dad would happily accept Oden's impersonation and follow the masculine treatment from pretty much stealing his identity. He doesn't seem too progressive either.

I wouldn't be surprised this is a two side scenario: Kaido (and therefore his subordinates) refer to Yamato as a man because he wanted a son, not a daughter, as his successor. And Yamato assumed a masculine identity because of his obsession with Oden, as he explicitly explained. If this was the case it would be really funny as everything may lead to Yamato reassuring herself as that, Yamato, a woman, a daughter, not a man nor a son, the moment she doesn't need Oden anymore.

And let's make it clear, I would have no problem with Yamato being truly trans. But how he stated to call himself a man because Oden was so sounds fishy as hell and doesn't give the impression that he identified as a man before becoming Oden.

Last edited:
H

humanbeing

The twitter sjw try to use this argument and its fucking retarded, the point is she sound like a female, luffy got a female voice actor but he sounds like a male. If yamato was really a male then they would pick male VA same they did with kiku.
well it doesn't matter how she sounds to be honest since she was introduced as Kaido's daughter so she is a girl. no matter what she says .

That doesn’t change a thing. Clearly Yamato’s sex is female but he identifies as male so therefore that fool is.

Yamato is called a he by everyone including his father, Crydo.
1) No. She's actually only called "son" by Kaido & his minions and not because they're some super progressive and accepting dudes. It's just because Kaido wants her to be his "son", so that Yamato can rule Wano as shogun.

2) No. She doesn't identify as male. She has some clear psychological problems that need to get resolved and only tries to steal Oden's identity. She never had any other motivation.

3) Oda's official staff just showed you how everyone should view Yamato: As a strong female character. Time to accept it.

1) No. She's actually only called "son" by Kaido & his minions and not because they're some super progressive and accepting dudes. It's just because Kaido wants her to be his "son", so that Yamato can rule Wano as shogun.

2) No. She doesn't identify as male. She has some clear psychological problems that need to get resolved and only tries to steal Oden's identity. She never had any other motivation.

3) Oda's official staff just showed you how everyone should view Yamato: As a strong female character. Time to accept it.
1) No
2) You’re wrong
3) Leave me alone because you suck

I sincerely believe this whole issue comes from Oda wanting to "subvert expectations" on Kaido having a "son" who turned out to be female when introduced, but things went out of hand.

The problem here is obvious. We have an explicit statement from Yamato turning into a man because Oden was a man too (chapter 984). It's not like Yamato identified as a man and then added Oden's identity to his own (I will refer to him as masculine, for now, since that's his current self-definition). The problem, however, is Kaido and the Beast Pirates treating him as a man too, because I highly doubt his dad would happily accept Oden's impersonation and follow the masculine treatment from pretty much stealing his identity. He doesn't seem too progressive either.

I wouldn't be surprised this is a two side scenario: Kaido (and therefore his subordinates) refer to Yamato as a man because he wanted a son, not a daughter, as his successor. And Yamato assumed a masculine identity because of his obsession with Oden, as he explicitly explained. If this was the case it would be really funny as everything may lead to Yamato reassuring herself as that, Yamato, a woman, a daughter, not a man nor a son, the moment she doesn't need Oden anymore.

And let's make it clear, I would have no problem with Yamato being truly trans. But how he stated to call himself a man because Oden was so sounds fishy as hell and doesn't give the impression that he identified as a man before becoming Oden.
I mean aside from the fact that you still even entertain the fact of her possibly being trans, I agree with you on most points.

I think (and hope) that she can finally drop the Oden-impersonation and accept/develop her own identity at the end of the arc.

This promo video encouraging women around the globe from Oda's official staff should tell us everything though: Yamato should be looked at as a strong female character. Nothing else.