Your most controversial opnions which majority dont support /belive/justify

What is your most controversial opinion?

• About religion

• About ethnicity

• About event

• About politic

• About social thing

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well why would a book fixating on science determining moral values care about hundreds of years of philosophical debate? philosophy and science are different, you know.

Not to defend the book, as i mentioned i didnt read it yet. But sam harris seems to generally be a very smart dude
Because he doesn't make any new points, glosses over anything that would debunk him, and contradicts his premise within the first few pages.

Thats not an answer to my question. And didnt you say he ignores hundreds of years of debate on this in your previous post? i dont see how these two statements are compatible.
He says things that he believes are novel. What he says is not novel. These points have been rebutted. He still makes these points because he's ignored the hundreds of years of prior debate. He is either intentionally ignoring the history of the subject, or he is unaware. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt by saying he's unaware.

He says things that he believes are novel. What he says is not novel. These points have been rebutted. He still makes these points because he's ignored the hundreds of years of prior debate. He is either intentionally ignoring the history of the subject, or he is unaware. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt by saying he's unaware.
Well i'll have to give you the benefit on the doubt of this one, as i am unaware of the contents of his book.

But my question is still left unanswered.

I know that you've not read the book.

How familiar are you with philosophy?
if you know then why ask me if i've read the book? Seems kinda unproductove to me.

Philosophy is not exactly among my points of interest, so im not that familiar. I would guess sam harris' reasoning is somewhat going the utilitarianism route though, cause i think i have heard him talk about well-being in a video compilation before. :choppawhat:

if you know then why ask me if i've read the book? Seems kinda unproductove to me.

Philosophy is not exactly among my points of interest, so im not that familiar. I would guess sam harris' reasoning is somewhat going the utilitarianism route though, cause i think i have heard him talk about well-being in a video compilation before. :choppawhat:
Okay.

So science is a descriptive. It describes things. It will tell us, within some method of measurement (whose increments we determine), how hot it is, or how much energy it takes to boil something. It describes things. We can describe a lot. We can describe, for example, why people may rape or murder. Why animals hunt. Why the planets orbit around the sun.

However, for hundreds of years now, there's been an issue known as the "is-ought gap" (is meaning "describing how the world is" and ought meaning "how things should be"). Basically, whether you can bridge something purely descriptive statement to generate a value judgment. For hundreds of years, there has been no convincing argument that you can, and no one has bridged this gap. Scientists have, for the most part, abandoned making moral statements derived from science because there's no logical step for this without making an ought statement.

Let's look at an argument:

People rape others. Being raped makes people feel bad. You shouldn't rape.

The conclusion doesn't logically follow. Why does it matter if people feel bad? You can't infer rape is bad because of that. You need to make a value statement: you shouldn't make people feel bad.

Sam Harris, in his book, needs to bridge the is-ought gap. He doesn't. He glosses over this dilemma. Because he can't make the argument. His book is worthless.

Okay.

So science is a descriptive. It describes things. It will tell us, within some method of measurement (whose increments we determine), how hot it is, or how much energy it takes to boil something. It describes things. We can describe a lot. We can describe, for example, why people may rape or murder. Why animals hunt. Why the planets orbit around the sun.

However, for hundreds of years now, there's been an issue known as the "is-ought gap" (is meaning "describing how the world is" and ought meaning "how things should be"). Basically, whether you can bridge something purely descriptive statement to generate a value judgment. For hundreds of years, there has been no convincing argument that you can, and no one has bridged this gap. Scientists have, for the most part, abandoned making moral statements derived from science because there's no logical step for this without making an ought statement.

Let's look at an argument:

People rape others. Being raped makes people feel bad. You shouldn't rape.

The conclusion doesn't logically follow. Why does it matter if people feel bad? You can't infer rape is bad because of that. You need to make a value statement: you shouldn't make people feel bad.

Sam Harris, in his book, needs to bridge the is-ought gap. He doesn't. He glosses over this dilemma. Because he can't make the argument. His book is worthless.
So he is taking this ought as kind of an axiom that he presupposes?

So he is taking this ought as kind of an axiom that he presupposes?
He's saying morality (which coincidentally aligns with Protestant Christian morality, so much for the New Athiest) is objective. Which is fine. That's an arguable position. He's not just saying that you can describe what human values are but that you can derive what ought to be simply by seeing how things are.

How can he do this? Well, he never really says. He just takes it for granted. When he gets stuck somewhere, he makes a claim and doesn't supprt his claims with arguments.

He is bridging the gap for granted. How does he bridge it? He doesn't say. He just does it.
Post automatically merged:

By the way, I've found his quotation addressing the is-ought problem:

an artificial and needlessly confusing way to think about moral choice. In fact, it seems to be another dismal product of Abrahamic religion—which, strangely enough, now constrains the thinking of even atheists.

This tells you all you need to know about the book. It's a book that sounds reasonable, only if you don't read closely.

Last edited:
And whats your basis for law/good/bad/morality/ethics not being subjective? Thats like, your bias because you are religious. And also, which god? Because the absolute law changes drastically on which religion you adhere to. And considering the sheer number of religions to choose from and the complete lack of evidence for either of them, i am still inclined to not take this argument seriously without evidence for any god or even multiple ones.

Also not sure if you noticed, but laws/morals are vastly different anyway depending on location, and even within one location people have very varying views about this.

But spoiler alert: We are social animals. Its much easier to live in a society than on your own in the wild. Such a society works much better with laws than without.

Also, maybe the moral landscape from sam harris would be interesting to you, in which he argues that science can determine moral values. Dont ask me about what his points are though, i didnt read it yet.

prove the following
1) there is obejctive good/bad, period
2) there is a god/ or gods
3) the objective good comes from the aforementioned god/gods

you are just shifting the burden of proof onto other people that dont accept your extraordinary claims that you present without extraordinary evidence (and have never been presented with extraordinary evidence).
Firstly, you're just like the other guy that seemed to think im trying to force the idea that god does indeed exist here

Ill clarify again

Im not talking "'How does god exist", or "Why does god exist", or "which god is the true one", etc

I'm talking about, WHAT IF god exist, and WHAT IF god does not exist

So again, i dont need to explain WHY god exist, nor do i need to explain WHICH god is the true one, because this is simply not the topic im talking about

Back to topic, as i said

IF we're going by the premise that God DOES indeed exist, then of course, there should be absolute truth

Simple, Get it?

Now, IF we're going by the premise that God DOES NOT exist, then, we ask, is there objectively good/bad ?

I think no, the reason is, already explained it, or you have opinions that can rebute that morality can be objective even if there is no god?

Firstly, you're just like the other guy that seemed to think im trying to force the idea that god does indeed exist here

Ill clarify again

Im not talking "'How does god exist", or "Why does god exist", or "which god is the true one", etc

I'm talking about, WHAT IF god exist, and WHAT IF god does not exist

So again, i dont need to explain WHY god exist, nor do i need to explain WHICH god is the true one, because this is simply not the topic im talking about

Back to topic, as i said

IF we're going by the premise that God DOES indeed exist, then of course, there should be absolute truth

Simple, Get it?

Now, IF we're going by the premise that God DOES NOT exist, then, we ask, is there objectively good/bad ?

I think no, the reason is, already explained it, or you have opinions that can rebute that morality can be objective even if there is no god?
Thats not simple at all and is highly dependant on what kind of god/gods you are talking about. People have extreme varying definitions/ideas about god/gods.

But ok so you cant prove the points i asked for and you dont care to prove. Im sticking with god/gods likely not existing and absolute morality not being a thing then.

Thats not simple at all and is highly dependant on what kind of god/gods you are talking about. People have extreme varying definitions/ideas about god/gods.

But ok so you cant prove the points i asked for and you dont care to prove. Im sticking with god/gods likely not existing and absolute morality not being a thing then.
People have extreme varying definitions of gods, true, but as far as i can tell, they all share one similarity

They create the universe
They create the law of nature
So of course, they too create what is called as the absolute truths

But ok so you cant prove the points i asked for and you dont care to prove. Im sticking with god/gods likely not existing and absolute morality not being a thing then
What points?

These?

1) there is obejctive good/bad, period
2) there is a god/ or gods
3) the objective good comes from the aforementioned god/gods

1) Already explained
2) Already said, this is not the topic im talking about
3) read above

And again, youre avoiding the topic

"Im sticking with god/gods likely not existing and absolute morality not being a thing then"

Thats literally not the topic lol

Were talking "'WHAT IF" god exists, without feeling the need to prove whether god exist or not, dont know whats so hard to comprehend

People have extreme varying definitions of gods, true, but as far as i can tell, they all share one similarity

They create the universe
They create the law of nature
So of course, they too create what is called as the absolute truths
A god in the deism kind of sense just kickstarts all of existence. Such a god wouldnt necessarily result in absolute morality.

A god in a spiritual sense defined as the collective consciousness of all that is would also not necessarily result in absolute morality.

Polytheistic ideas like in greek mythology for example dont even have infallible gods and the ones creating everything that is were not all that relevant later on.

Then with some religions you get the idea of everything that ever happens being predetermined, also making absolute morality kind of redundant.

1) Already explained
2) Already said, this is not the topic im talking about
3) read above

And again, youre avoiding the topic

"Im sticking with god/gods likely not existing and absolute morality not being a thing then"

Thats literally not the topic lol

Were talking "'WHAT IF" god exists, without feeling the need to prove whether god exist or not, dont know whats so hard to comprehend
You already explained how absolute morality is a thing?

I didnt avoid it all, i just gave this topic some nuance, adressing how not every version or idea of god/gods would necessarily result in absolute morality.

A god in the deism kind of sense just kickstarts all of existence. Such a god wouldnt necessarily result in absolute morality.

A god in a spiritual sense defined as the collective consciousness of all that is would also not necessarily result in absolute morality.

Polytheistic ideas like in greek mythology for example dont even have infallible gods and the ones creating everything that is were not all that relevant later on.

Then with some religions you get the idea of everything that ever happens being predetermined, also making absolute morality kind of redundant.
Fair point

Then, we can change the question from

Can morality be objective IF god does not exist

To

Can morality be objective IF god is not involved (So in this case, not only is the god needed to create the universe and the law of nature, the god is also needed to create the absolute truths)

And my reasonings is still the same

Fair point

Then, we can change the question from

Can morality be objective IF god does not exist

To

Can morality be objective IF god is not involved (So in this case, not only is the god needed to create the universe and the law of nature, the god is also needed to create the absolute truths)

And my reasonings is still the same
God is needed for the universe? Based on?

God is needed for laws of nature? Based on?

I would say absolute morality does not exist in such a scenario, but i kinda feel i said that before in our convo.

God is needed for the universe? Based on?

God is needed for laws of nature? Based on?

I would say absolute morality does not exist in such a scenario, but i kinda feel i said that before in our convo.
Universe is created by the law of nature(physics), law of nature is created by who?

Anyway, this is not the topic tho, so i should change the question to

Can morality be objective IF god is not involved (So in this case, not only does the god must exist, the god is also needed to create the absolute truths)

And again, my reasonings barely change