Future Events ZDS (Zoro Defeats Shanks)

Yea well some stuff about my view:

- Luffy wanting to surpass Shanks as a crew leader and inspiration figure also meant that he must surpass Shanks individually in a decisive match

- Shanks' CoC was emphasized more than his sword since the first chapters

- Shanks will chase One Piece

---

These 3 points convince me quite a bit that Luffy is the one that defeat Shanks

---

However:

- Shanks is a swordsman as well

- during the climax of future arc, Luffy might be way too burdened against Blackbeard while Shanks also enters the fray. So in that scenario, there should be someone who decisively beat Shanks.

- Law or Kidd might be the one to do it, but the swordsman stuff match Zoro more compared to Law or Kidd (if we ignore Luffy or BB as contenders to beat Shanks)

- Oda likes to suBveRT eXpECTation :suresure:
Ok, I'll humor you: If Zoro fights Shanks in this scenario, who will be dealing with Shiryu? :pepecafe:

I thought it would be an option if:
  • Shanks is actually shady in some way that betrays Luffy, and Luffy is unable to fight him due to emotional turmoil from losing the role model/father figure he thought he had. Zoro takes on his captain's burden. Luffy ends up fighting BB/Imu/the real big bad instead.
  • Mihawk is not involved in the main plot and is relegated to being an after-journey/epilogue fight. Or Evil Shanks reveals his true power and destroys/defeats a lot of characters (Mihawk included). So Shanks is the stand-in "final" swordsman for Zoro.
If they did fight, there's some interesting dynamics between their abilities. We know, from film red spoilers, that:
Shanks can manipulate his opponent's observation to the point of disabling future sight. Possibly related to CoC. Ashura still remains unexplained, but one theory is that it could have something to do with using CoC to manipulate the opponent's observations and forcing them to see illusions. The 9-sword style could just be an illusion in his target's mind that helps him get past their defense. This would fit with Kaido mentioning Zoro's CoC after getting slashed by Ashura, despite no sign of CoC-coating. If that's the case, the match-up could be interesting, with both characters fighting to manipulate each other's observation and come out on top.

From recent chapters and film red promo material, however, it's looking like Shanks isn't doing anything shady and Mihawk joining Cross Guild incorporates him into main events and puts him on a possible collision course with Zoro. So it's not a real option at this point in time.

That could happen if Oda cared about Zoro's dream (it makes perfect sense for Zoro to challenge Mihawk's old rival). But Oda doesn't seem to give a shit anymore. We'd be lucky to get a Mihawk fight at this point.

Will it happen? Why? Why not?.
I've talked about this in previous moments.

Mihawk waits for someone capable of overcoming Shanks especially, but Luffy is the problem to a fight between Zoro and Shanks. Regardless of who wins, things get weird for Luffy, so Zoro will be ready to challenge Mihawk after defeating an admiral, who is someone comparable to Shanks, despite what the last filler movie did.

Shanks is actually shady in some way that betrays Luffy, and Luffy is unable to fight him due to emotional turmoil from losing the role model/father figure he thought he had. Zoro takes on his captain's burden
That would be too good for Oda to do. And unfortunately we already know that he is more than a nice guy.

Yea well some stuff about my view:

- Luffy wanting to surpass Shanks as a crew leader and inspiration figure also meant that he must surpass Shanks individually in a decisive match

- Shanks' CoC was emphasized more than his sword since the first chapters

- Shanks will chase One Piece

---

These 3 points convince me quite a bit that Luffy is the one that defeat Shanks

---

However:

- Shanks is a swordsman as well

- during the climax of future arc, Luffy might be way too burdened against Blackbeard while Shanks also enters the fray. So in that scenario, there should be someone who decisively beat Shanks.

- Law or Kidd might be the one to do it, but the swordsman stuff match Zoro more compared to Law or Kidd (if we ignore Luffy or BB as contenders to beat Shanks)

- Oda likes to suBveRT eXpECTation :suresure:
Notto dissu shitto agen 😳

Erm...maybe other swordman? Like Law? While Sanji deal with Beckmann?
Huh? Since when has Lolda let Zoro beat someone of more importance than Law in the same arc they were in?

PH: Law beat Doffy's right-hand man. Zoro beat his underling.

DR: Law (and Luffy) beat Doffy and Doffy's firstmate. Zoro beat Doffy's top executive.

Wano: Self-explanatory.

If Law is in Raftel, there is a greater chance for Law vs Shanks than Zoro vs Shanks. :jordanmf:

And what's this about Cook vs Beckmann? :jay-he:

Huh? Since when has Lolda let Zoro beat someone of more importance than Law in the same arc they were in?

PH: Law beat Doffy's right-hand man. Zoro beat his underling.

DR: Law (and Luffy) beat Doffy and Doffy's firstmate. Zoro beat Doffy's top executive.

Wano: Self-explanatory.

If Law is in Raftel, there is a greater chance for Law vs Shanks than Zoro vs Shanks. :jordanmf:

And what's this about Cook vs Beckmann? :jay-he:
Well do you believe that Sanji should fight Stronger or Rockstar or something :lusalty: