General & Others Zoro and Sanji, Wings of Pirate King

Or this may be one of that times Paul's translation isn't accurate considering that it goes against the SBS identical statement, what other translators have chosen and what other Japanese speakers interpreted. Oda changing his mind a lot during the last 24 years doesn't seem to apply to Zoro and Sanji as much as you may believe, in my opinion.

I'm not sure I fully understand your second sentence (I think I get the idea), I'd appreciate if you worded it better.
What I mean is that Paul’s translation got proof read by Japanese editors to see if they convey what Oda wants to convey therefore I trust him more than other people’s translations.

The relationship between Zoro and Sanji can still be the same but Sanji has his own statut in the crew. So rather than have Zoro and Sanji being the wings only Sanji is. Oda might give Zoro another statut later.
Post automatically merged:

All i can see it's an obvious matter of translation, none of them are necessarily wrong. Especially seeing the SBS 73 from 2014
Paul’s translation are proofread by the Japanese editors tho.

Still with that? Is the yonkou example not enough?

When an emperor is called ''yonkou'' (四皇 - 4 emperors) it does not mean that that emperor is literally the 4 emperors lmfao. There are 3 others that are also yonkous.

Just as ''Wings'' (両 翼 - Both wings) does not mean that Sanji is literally the two wings. Of course there is another character that is the 'other wing' along with Sanji

Anyway, Stephen didn't get the translation wrong, but it's abstract and out of context.

Zoro fsnboys when VIz translate like they want for other characters "viz knows best"
Zoro fanboys when Viz doesn't say dodge "no, Viz sucks...viz isn't perfect...we are going on twitter to call out Stephen "

Viz was never the gospel, only zoro fans push it as the gospel and also downplay it when it doesn't translate words that hype Zoro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zoro fsnboys when VIz translate like they want for other characters "viz knows best"
Zoro fanboys when Viz doesn't say dodge "no-one Viz sucks...viz isn't perfect...we are going on twitter to call our Stephen "

Viz was never the gospel, only zoro fans push it as the gospel and also downplay it when it doesn't translate words that hype Zoro.
viz is your worst nightmare :suresure:

When an emperor is called ''yonkou'' (四皇 - 4 emperors) it does not mean that that emperor is literally the 4 emperors lmfao. There are 3 others that are also yonkous.

Just as ''Wings'' (両 翼 - Both wings) does not mean that Sanji is literally the two wings. Of course there is another character that is the 'other wing' along with Sanji

Anyway, Stephen didn't get the translation wrong, but it's abstract and out of context.
Stop being smart.

Basically it’s kind of like if Black Maria said “Queen is a man worthy of being Kaido’s Calamity!”

Which doesn’t mean that King and Jack aren’t also Calamities.

It‘s a word that applies to two people, but Robin is only talking about Sanji. Saying “one of the wings” might help get the point across better in translation, but it wouldn’t be a literal translation.

It's probably going to be Luffy's equivalent of "All Star" or "Sweet Commander" but limited to an outstanding duo :stealthblack::zosmug:
Yea it's similar to how the three Calamities/Lead Performers are referred to as the "Pocket Knives" or Right hand men.
I remember that brought some great uproar when Jack kept being referred as Kaido's right hand man despite the obvious existence of Queen and King.

What I mean is that Paul’s translation got proof read by Japanese editors to see if they convey what Oda wants to convey therefore I trust him more than other people’s translations.

The relationship between Zoro and Sanji can still be the same but Sanji has his own statut in the crew. So rather than have Zoro and Sanji being the wings only Sanji is. Oda might give Zoro another statut later.
Any source of the Japanese editors part, and to what extent are we sure they personally scrutinize Paul's translations for weekly releases? Right now it sounds just completely vague, I doubt we have deep information about how this process exactly works —and still wouldn't negate the reality that other speakers and translators (some official too) didn't understand this sentence in the way Paul did, plus the fact that his translations aren't free of mistakes we can all trace.

Dressrosa wasn't that long ago. I have my doubts Oda is changing the dynamic of Zoro and Sanji being Luffy's wings; it's not like the portrayal of their relationship has really changed since then.
Post automatically merged:

It‘s a word that applies to two people, but Robin is only talking about Sanji. Saying “one of the wings” might help get the point across better in translation, but it wouldn’t be a literal translation.
But any proper translator would tell you that literal translations are rarely the best option.

Thats actually my point here