Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jinbe only just became an official Straw Hat; the color spreads, 98's table of contents, the Oda box all indicate that, despite everything that happened earlier. If Oda was planning on having him, Carrot and Yamato all join, why make Jinbe leave after WCI and not make him official right then? Jinbe could have fully joined then, Carrot could have joined then or at the end of Wano, and Yamato could join too. Then the joinings be spaced out by at least 100 chapters. Its already unprecedented for two people to join in the same arc. Three, though? I don't see why he would put himself in that position when he could have just as easily spread it out more evenly.

No, I think there will be only one besides Jinbe. Obviously I'm thinking Carrot has had more time devoted to integrating her, but if Oda wants to shoehorn Yamato in now of all times, that's his prerogative.

Jinbe only just became an official Straw Hat; the color spreads, 98's table of contents, the Oda box all indicate that, despite everything that happened earlier. If Oda was planning on having him, Carrot and Yamato all join, why make Jinbe leave after WCI and not make him official right then? Jinbe could have fully joined then, Carrot could have joined then or at the end of Wano, and Yamato could join too. Then the joinings be spaced out by at least 100 chapters. Its already unprecedented for two people to join in the same arc. Three, though? I don't see why he would put himself in that position when he could have just as easily spread it out more evenly.

No, I think there will be only one besides Jinbe. Obviously I'm thinking Carrot has had more time devoted to integrating her, but if Oda wants to shoehorn Yamato in now of all times, that's his prerogative.
Jimbei technically wasn't a SH in FI but also he was. He decided to join there but had to break away from BM first. He became official in WCI.

Jimbei technically wasn't a SH in FI but also he was. He decided to join there but had to break away from BM first. He became official in WCI.
I wanted him to be official. Luffy wanted him to be official. But Jinbe left the contract on the table, so to speak. He didn't make it official until he came back this year. Hence the TOC, the spreads, the Oda box, etc.

Why did Oda leave any room for doubt at that time? That's my question as it pertains to having three new Straw Hats leaving Wano.

When Jimbei decided to stay back to help his pals and get Luffy free, Luffy told him he's his captain now and don't die.
I get that. I'm saying despite that, Oda left room for doubt, however small, that Jinbe would make it to Wano. What I'm asking is why. Why did he make a situation where Jinbe had to leave yet again? Why do that if he had both Carrot AND Yamato in line to join soon after?

I get that. I'm saying despite that, Oda left room for doubt, however small, that Jinbe would make it to Wano. What I'm asking is why. Why did he make a situation where Jinbe had to leave yet again? Why do that if he had both Carrot AND Yamato in line to join soon after?
Don't know, didnt think much about why Jimbei didn't get to Wano sooner but he's here now. Probably wanted to make sure his pals were good before leaving.

Don't know, didnt think much about why Jimbei didn't get to Wano sooner but he's here now. Probably wanted to make sure his pals were good before leaving.
Yeah, and Oda designed it that way for some inscrutable reason. He chose to create a situation where Jinbe had to stay behind, had to make yet another grand entrance later. How many false starts has any other Straw Hat gotten? And I get the first two after the war and FI, dramatic tension and all. But why yet again after WCI? If he's got a bunch of other Straw Hats lined up, why string Jinbe along for 10 years?

Jinbe got to stay behind so his powerlevels at the time of his joining doesn't "disturb" the dynamics.

That's why Oda had to wait for Enma and Raid Suit (Jinbe came only after both powerups established).

Of course, this reason can be nullified if Yamato joins, since she's stronger than Jinbe & current Sanji.
I think it’s too early to establish how strong Yamato is with respect to Jinbe or Sanji. We haven’t yet seen either of them put up a real fight against any Tobi Roppo yet for a clear comparison.

Oda’s history with female characters makes me skeptical that he would add a female straw hat that’s stronger than any of the new monster trio
if she does join I feel like she’ll be nerfed like Robin was:sanmoji:

In the case if Oda give her the Oden treatment ( Oden in Roger crew), the OP fandom explodes. Imagine the rivers of tears, that give if Yamato is important as Oden and his feats :steef:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
And Yamato is included as a next generation of pirate, so she’s not staying in Wano if anyone’s still on that.
inb4 someone mentions that Yamato showing up with Momo and Shinobu (who she was told to protect by Luffy) means she’ll stay on Wano, as if the mere sight of her with native citizens of the island means she won’t leave a place where she’s been trapped for 20 years 🙄

Jinbe got to stay behind so his powerlevels at the time of his joining doesn't "disturb" the dynamics.

That's why Oda had to wait for Enma and Raid Suit (Jinbe came only after both powerups established).

Of course, this reason can be nullified if Yamato joins, since she's stronger than Jinbe & current Sanji.
Maybe, but I have two issues with that. First, Oda was in total control of when his characters would receive which power up. He wasn't beholden to make Sanji wait until Wano to use his new suit, or make Zoro have to give up Shusui, a strong sword in its own right, for Enma. They were good story choices, but I don't see why he would have to trade off Jinbe for them. He introduced Zoro's fire cutting power just now, long after Jinbe, and that changes the status quo as much as Enma does.

Second, the first two acts of Wano were dedicated to staying low. Power ups are nice to get in the downtime, so would Jinbe really have shaken things up more than that? He likely couldn't go out into the Flower Capital, but neither could Brook. He's a lot more than a big strong guy, he's smart and focused, not to mention humble. Just like in the tower with Sanji, he's the last person who wants to disrupt the crew's dynamics, and he wouldn't just by being there.

The question is, what was Oda really playing at keeping him away for so long?
Post automatically merged:

inb4 someone mentions that Yamato showing up with Momo and Shinobu (who she was told to protect by Luffy) means she’ll stay on Wano, as if the mere sight of her with native citizens of the island means she won’t leave a place where she’s been trapped for 20 years 🙄
As far as we've seen, he was trapped on Onigashima, not Wano's mainland. It's possible he'll still want to leave, but it's also entirely possible he'll want to stay for Momo now that Yamato knows he's alive, which he didn't know all those times he said he wanted to leave. At the very least, Yamato won't have to stay in that same skull he's been trapped in.

Last edited:

The reason is plot. WIth Jinbe aboard, Luffy and the rest of the Sunny Team would dock to Wano safely, they won't meet Tama and Tengu.

Power dynamics doesn't matter and unimportant or we won't get into this situation wherein Zoro went too far ahead of Sanji and Jinbe.

Nami and Usopp will stay with Tama if that's the case then. LOL.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
As far as we've seen, he was trapped on Onigashima, not Wano's mainland. It's possible he'll still want to leave, but it's also entirely possible he'll want to stay for Momo now that Yamato knows he's alive, which he didn't know all those times he said he wanted to leave. At the very least, Yamato won't have to stay in that same skull he's been trapped in.
It’s definitely possible that she’ll want to leave, especially considering that little panel just a short while ago when she literally asked to join Luffy’s crew and see the world...we weren’t shown that OR her little flashback where she teared up hearing the words Luffy and Roger spoke in common for nothing, and seeing how Momo has been reunited with all the Scabbards (none of whom seem to have died thus far), it’s not like he won’t have protection and guidance if he stays in Wano. There’s reason for her to swear fealty to the rebuilding Kozuki clan and stay on the island, but it sure seems like she’s mainly motivated to leave that place and guide Luffy to the dawn, that can’t be discounted.

The reason is plot. WIth Jinbe aboard, Luffy and the rest of the Sunny Team would dock to Wano safely, they won't meet Tama and Tengu.
Again, that's a situation Oda orchestrated and could have adjusted in a myriad of ways. He could have made it even more treacherous so that Jinbe would absolutely be required. He still could have had Luffy separated from the group, too, and could have introduced Tama under different circumstances as well. It's Oda's plot to write, and I don't see why he couldn't have had Jinbe there unless is was for very specific reason, rather than something broad like plot or crew dynamics.

Again, that's a situation Oda orchestrated and could have adjusted in a myriad of ways. He could have made it even more treacherous so that Jinbe would absolutely be required. He still could have had Luffy separated from the group, too, and could have introduced Tama under different circumstances as well. It's Oda's plot to write, and I don't see why he couldn't have had Jinbe there unless is was for very specific reason, rather than something broad like plot or crew dynamics.
Not sure why there has to be a grand Jinbe conspiracy, it could be as simple as Oda wanting him to join in this big war and just giving him cool scenes before that.

And that's how Oda wrote it... I initially thought the same as you do as well, but thinking deeper it makes more sense with the situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.