Character Discussion I don't like Yamato

One shotted a number.......protecting momo........what has sanji/jimbei done
Jinbe is currently in a fight with who's who and that's being off screened for some reason.

Sanji as a character is just treated so poorly to the point I've long lost interest in anything he does. & Sanji rescued Momo to begin with.

One shotting a Number is cool, I guess, but running around and fighting fodder every time we come back to them isn't giving her any real characterization or development.

Yamato was thrown in last minute after being mentioned by Kaido and really hasnt done much of anything but because she knows ace and had a brief convo with Luffy she's suddenly amazing?

I'm not saying you can't like Yamato.
For me she feels very hollow and just flat. Dive into her character when you give her panels with Momo. Their time together has basically just been momo beating himself up over being useless.

Jinbe is currently in a fight with who's who and that's being off screened for some reason.

Sanji as a character is just treated so poorly to the point I've long lost interest in anything he does. & Sanji rescued Momo to begin with.

One shotting a Number is cool, I guess, but running around and fighting fodder every time we come back to them isn't giving her any real characterization or development.

Yamato was thrown in last minute after being mentioned by Kaido and really hasnt done much of anything but because she knows ace and had a brief convo with Luffy she's suddenly amazing?

I'm not saying you can't like Yamato.
For me she feels very hollow and just flat. Dive into her character when you give her panels with Momo. Their time together has basically just been momo beating himself up over being useless.
Yeah still she did equivalent of sanji a prominent member of straw hat and mostly going to fight kaido too.......she will contribute by decent margin.......

Yeah still she did equivalent of sanji a prominent member of straw hat and mostly going to fight kaido too.......she will contribute by decent margin.......
That's all I'm waiting on.

I just need her character to be expanded on, and I just don't mean give her a fight because right now she's just a last minute strong ally thrown to our side.

I just want her to be a good character because every strawhat when they get their introduction arc is really good and established as we get to know them.

We haven't gotten that from Yamato yet and I'm hoping we do and that it's not just skipped over or rushed just to focus on the main fight

I think Yamato's alright. Not great, not awful but just ok for now. Seeing more of the denouncing Kaido and trying to pave a unique path would be nice. I don't expect the Oden thing to last further than Wano (since I see Yamato joining the Straw Hats). A fight to show-case the fruit that Yamato has would also be pretty cool and of course interacting with the rest of the crew makes sense.

In my eyes, Yamato is arguably one of the most uninspiring characters that Oda has come up with thus far. I will give reasons as to why I feel this way so if you disagree with me bring valid arguments to the table.

1. Yamato's design.

Females in OP usually follow the same pattern in terms of their design. This isn't something that usually bothers me but the issue here is that it feels very unconvincing that Yamato is supposed to be Kaido's child because of her average design. Comparatively speaking, most of Big Mom's daughters' have idiosyncratic designs that add to the credibility of them being BM's children. Yamato just doesn't have that.

2. Yamato's relationship to Luffy & the alliance.

Ever since her introduction she is basically just a plot device there to help Luffy and the others to fight against Kaido. There is no attempt for us to feel like her motivation for killing her own father is realistic. There is no gradual build-up with her motives. It's literally just her meeting Luffy and ''hey, I'm going to help you defeat my father'' or ''hey, we just met but let me on your crew''.
Most of the members within the alliance didn't just immediately join but we see them deciding to fight against Kaido and Orochi through their own personal convictions which makes it feel realistic and earned. Yamato is literally fighting against her own family but the credibility behind it feels ridiculous.

3. Yamato's role in general.

It's very common for Oda to introduce a lot of characters within an arc and that's fine but the issue is that a large percent of those characters end up doing almost nothing relevant. This brings up the question why some of these characters were even brought into the story in the first place. This is were Yamato comes into place. What has she done so far? Yamato has been running with Momonosuke and Shinobu fighting against fodder and pointless shenanigans even though it has already been established that Momo isn't going to die. Do we really need a side-plot like this in the semi- endgame of OP?
Oda could have simply skipped all of those pages and focussed on the Tobbi Roppo and the calamites which have been on the side lines for a very long time.
I agree with all of this, but a few things:

Design - it's true BM daughters had more diverse and inspired designs but the reason for that is because they weren't meant to be allies. They were antagonists, Oda didn't care if we were going to swoon over them, so he could had freedom.
Look at Pudding, the daughter who was meant to be an ally. Compared to her design, Yamato looks like a 10/10 design.

Relationship - feels forced so far like she just kept agreeing and coming up with reasons to help even to the most extreme results, but at the same time her character was hardly touched despite how much screen time she is getting. We'll probably get some development and maybe a flashback when she meets Kaido and that's when we'll be able to judge this point.

Role - nothing to add, only that this could change later as well.

To be frank, I mainly dislike Yamato because her personality is standard. Oda put the Oden fanboyism there to add some quirkiness, but despite being the reason for all her actions it doesn't resonate with anything else in her personality, which is still totally bland. She is not funny, she is not badass, she is not particularly cute, she is not hateful either, she is just there. Her mannerisms, the way she is drawn, her lukewarm personality, everything about her so far is just the latest 'girl ally of the arc'.

Design - it's true BM daughters had more diverse and inspired designs but the reason for that is because they weren't meant to be allies. They were antagonists, Oda didn't care if we were going to swoon over them, so he could had freedom.
Look at Pudding, the daughter who was meant to be an ally. Compared to her design, Yamato looks like a 10/10 design.

Relationship - feels forced so far like she just kept agreeing and coming up with reasons to help even to the most extreme results, but at the same time her character was hardly touched despite how much screen time she is getting. We'll probably get some development and maybe a flashback when she meets Kaido and that's when we'll be able to judge this point.

Role - nothing to add, only that this could change later as well.

To be frank, I mainly dislike Yamato because her personality is standard. Oda put the Oden fanboyism there to add some quirkiness, but despite being the reason for all her actions it doesn't resonate with anything else in her personality, which is still totally bland. She is not funny, she is not badass, she is not particularly cute, she is not hateful either, she is just there. Her mannerisms, the way she is drawn, her lukewarm personality, everything about her so far is just the latest 'girl ally of the arc'.
Welcome to WG and love your username btw ^^

I see your point but my main issue with Yamato's design is the fact that it doesn't feel convincing for us (the viewers) that she is Kaido's child. Like, do these two look related?

Yamato has the typical default female design that most females have in OP, the only glaring difference being her clothing and horns which really isn't something special. Regardless of her being an ally or not.

I do not hate Yamato at all I find her character to fun and refreshing. Out of all female characters we have seen post timeskip most of them were kind like crybabies and they were completely useless in fight. They had to depended on others help them or protect them in those kinds of situations. For example, if you look at characters like Rebecca and violet they were not capable of being able do things on own. Sure, Violet was significantly helpful to Ussop during dressrosa. However, when she comforts Donflamingo she was controlling her and her niece. Look Rebecca the only thing she was doing was dodging thats it. Not really fighting and she could not even handle things on her own. While Yamato other has moral code/ideology and belief in something. Heck she seems much more capable handle herself in fight just like how Hancock is. Yes, she was able to be freed by luffy. Ever since than she herself has not faulter or fall to be damsel distress who is completely helpless. She displays a lot more strength and endurance than any other female we have seen in the series. It kind makes her stand out from other females that came before her. For me she just come as this badass female character we have been waiting for long time. Who I think represent this tom boy and tough girl like character. Which is in my opinion we do not have among female characters in one piece.
Kind like these

Last edited:
I can't understand why she is so liked either, the only argument i ve seen here in her favour is about her boobs. Really?
When Brook "joined", he was just thrown there. As Thriller Bark passed, we got to learn a lot about the character and his development felt good.
Maybe Yamato will follow this trend.
I just want this arc to end anyway. :kayneshrug:
Maybe but Brook is still the most useless mugi to.
Post automatically merged:

She is just there to help Luffy and the others in gaining their victory without any build-up to it. It's just like she popped up at the raid for the sake of helping them without any reciprocity to it. It feels very cheap and irksome.[/QUOTE]
I had the same feeling.