I'm Taking a Break

Am I Crazy?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I honestly don’t understand why people let forums get to them like this. Harassment, bullying, doxxing, that’s all serious shit, but to announce you’re leaving because people don’t agree with your opinions on a fictional series? That’s a real problem my dude and I’m not talking about online shit anymore.

I like Zoro and Mihawk as much as anyone and I don’t like to see them downplayed, but why should I let that get to me on a personal level?I feel like some emotional detachment is needed here.

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
Introduction
I've gone on a frenzy over the past week in the spoiler and chapter threads wanking Zoro and his feat in Chapter 1009 to the Moon. It's been a bit unhealthy, and I should probably take a breather and calm down. However, that justifies taking a few days off, not the several weeks/months I intend.

Why I Feel a Break is Necessary
There's a certain current of resistance and downplay, that I found just mind breaking to engage with, and extrapolating this over the rest of the Rooftop fight, I just gave up. The prospect of going through this every week is disheartening.

I don't want to deal with what's currently happening.

I feel like the reactions to Zoro blocking Hakai from a large contingent of the community hasn't been:
"Oh my fucking God, Zoro stopped a finisher combination attack of two Yonkou, he must have top tier defence", but:

"These characters are stronger than Zoro, so they should be able to pull it off too".

Many people basically left Zoro wherever they had him in their headcanon, downplayed the feat as much as they could get away with and adjusted everyone else upwards.

The claim that Luffy could do it for example is insane.

Zoro ordered all the other 4 Supernova to run away:

Zoro clearly did not think the rest of the 4 Supernova combined could block Hakai.

The Yonkou were shocked out of their mind that Hakai was stopped:

The Yonkou did not think it was possible for even the 5 Supernova working together to block Hakai.

The feat Zoro pulled off where he held back the attack for a few seconds is a feat that neither Zoro nor the Rocks Duo believed the other Supernova working together could accomplish.

The implication is that even working together, Luffy + Kidd + Killer + Law get wiped out by Hakai without slowing it down enough to escape.

That is what the manga is showing, yet people want to argue that Luffy can?

Because?

Because they believe Luffy is stronger than Zoro? Because they've capped Zoro at a certain level and so whenever Zoro pulls off a feat, they don't raise his level, they downplay the hell out of the feat and assume everyone else can pull it off.

As I said elsewhere:

Earnestness
So I take powerscaling very seriously. I put a lot of effort into my engagement with the OP fandom here. Maybe not all of my participation is welcome, maybe tagging so many people is highly obnoxious, maybe my Zoro wank is stifling, maybe I'm "toxic".

Whatever other flaws I have, I'm generally earnest. The vast majority of the time, I try to be straightforward in my engagement (even though I do have my biases. I may pull a stunt once in a while, make the occasional troll post), but > 95% of my content in the One Piece section is my sincere beliefs.

Conclusions
This sheer stubbornness in the fandom regarding their preconceptions is just not something I feel like I'm willing to debate with.

If you're going to outright ignore the manga because it doesn't fit your headcanons, then I'm not participating.

Maybe I'll return to One Piece discussions after some months, perhaps when there's more context to go off of and folks have been able to better digest what happened, but for now, I'm done.

Hey, maybe I'm crazy: "You're overreacting", "this feat is inconsistent", "this is an outlier", "you're missing something very basic that others have seen". Those are all hypotheses that merit consideration. I can't say I've particularly given that the adequate consideration, but they are something that I'm aware of.

Either I'm wrong (in which case stepping back and seeing how well my position ages is advisable), or I'm right (in which case I currently cannot healthily engage with the fandom). Regardless of how things shake out, there's like a sheer gap in how things have been processed that I feel is currently insurmountable.

I also don't want to deal with the same pigheaded stubbornness every time Zoro gets a feat that shatters people's headcanons.

I don't really enjoy the Ws and Ls games either, so the trolling and countertrolling is not for me.

I think it would be best to return in several months, when the fandom has had time to process things. I might skip the Rooftop battle entirely, I'm not sure yet.

Tl;Dr
I got the perception that many people have strong preconceptions about how strong Zoro is allowed to be, and that regardless of the feats Zoro accomplished, they were unwilling to let go of their preconceptions.

This made me feel like debating for Zoro was pointless, so I decided to pause it.

I asked @Bogard and @Pantheos for an Udon ban for two months (I'll probably extend it as needed). Until the ban goes into effect, I'll probably reply as needed.
Kaido thunder clapped G4 Luffy

BM toyed with queen

Forget about blocking but dodging yonkou attack in itself requires top tier reactions speed.

What zoro pulled here against two yonkous is BEST ON PANEL FEAT BY ANYONE AGAINST not one but TWO YONKOUS.

Now, we all know that for many it goes against everything they used to believe 🤣🤣 - yonkou fans feel oda is bad writer for pulling this, other SN fan base feel their favorite can pull this and so on....

So it goes without saying that they will perceive it differently and I don't think it's something new.

And, it's totally fine.

I mean why you care to convince people or change their perception so much? They have every right to perceive things differently - how wrong that it could be 😜

It's because you give so much damn about persuading people to believe what you say that you get affected when they don't go along with you.

That's not how discussions suppose to shape out. Ya it gets annoying sometimes but it goes both ways

As some already said you need to detach yourselves from this. You need to stop trying to change people perception based on how you feel what happened.

Anyway, have a nice day. Take a break

Jiihad

RIP Toriyama
Man keep it a buck, y’all coddling this ****. Point blank period. If @Prince Kronos @Chaves True God Moe etc would have made sum shit like this y’all would’ve tagged tha hell outta each other and dick rode each other on they thread and laughed at em and shit

Sanji fans been tha butt of jokes and getting mauled for years and they took it and stood on it. Random strangers on tha innanet disagree with Cinera for a few Chapters at best and he needs a break. If he needs to step away to take care of himself mentally, physically, spiritually etc that’s fine. But this some sawft ass shit

S

Shuyaku

Man keep it a buck, y’all coddling this ****. Point blank period. If @Prince Kronos @Chaves True God Moe etc would have made sum shit like this y’all would’ve tagged tha hell outta each other and dick rode each other on they thread and laughed at em and shit

Sanji fans been tha butt of jokes and getting mauled for years and they took it and stood on it. Random strangers on tha innanet disagree with Cinera for a few Chapters at best and he needs a break. If he needs to step away to take care of himself mentally, physically, spiritually etc that’s fine. But this some sawft ass shit
He needs to hear it like it is. No sugercoating bullshit. I like the guy too lol.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
Cinera, clearly you are acting out of pettiness because you can't accept not everyone sees eye to eye with you. Stop letting yourself get clouded by your feelings. Maybe stop debating anime if you can't handle it, i've stopped taking this shit seriously years ago.

That aside, i wish you luck.
Aah, it's not people disagreeing with my takes that made me give up. I mean I've been debating One Piece on and off for 6 years, I'm used to disagreement. There's nothing fundamentally new about disagreement that makes me unwilling to continue. It wasn't that we didn't agree per se.

I don't want to rehash what I said in the OP, and I didn't go over it in detail, but certain discussions I've had on here of recent, just really made me give up. It's not pettiness. I'm not trying to spite the community or anything.

I'm just overly invested in the fandom, and I take debating very seriously.

Discussing recent stuff with several people has been very, very unfulfilling. It was emotionally draining, and I guess I approached with the mindset, that: "even if we have different interpretations, personal biases and such, we are reading the same manga, so reconciliation is in theory possible". I strived for that reconciliation and to reach like a mutual understanding.

It felt like that was not possible for some members. That it didn't really matter what happened, they already had very strong preconceptions that they were unwilling to let go of.

Maybe it's because I've invested so much effort, time, energy and had such a genuine belief that we can reconcile. Maybe it's because I don't really believe in agreeing to disagree (I pause discussions for more evidence, but for people I engage with at length: "agree to disagree" is a foreign concept to me (exceptions are when I know someone has a firm agenda they wouldn't let go of, in which case I generally don't engage).

Like I genuinely do not believe that reasonable people should agree to disagree. I can't stress how core this is to my philosophy, but it generally is. In principle, reconciliation is possible. Sometimes we pause debates due to insufficient evidence. Sometimes we may shelve debates due to time constraints, but reconciliation of our beliefs are generally possible. That is a fundamental underlying principle of my world view.

I wouldn't say I had a mental breakdown or anything, but after a while I just gave up. It felt futile. I guess my core beliefs underpinning my engagement with this community (that reconciliation is possible among people engaging in good faith) were shattered in a very brutal fashion. It was mentally harrowing.

After going through this for a few days, I really, really, really do not want this experience again. I really don't want to have to deal with this again. Like this was just a very unpleasant experience for me. I cannot stress how much this has just been a painful experience to me.

This feeling that no matter what happens, no matter what evidence is presented, no matter what arguments are raised, that so, so and so are unwilling to change their mind. That reconciliation is not just in practice impossible, it's in theory impossible.

That was a mind breaking, extremely unpleasant experience. These last few days genuinely broke me.

Discussing a manga shouldn't be unpleasant. If every week is going to be like this, then I'll rather just sit off the Rooftop fight. I don't want to go through this again. It was soul crushing.

And because of how painful this entire experience has been, it's made me feel like I need a long breather from this community.

Whenever I return, I'll probably return to discussing One Piece with only a couple dozen people. I am not ready to let go of my belief that reconciliation should be possible, so I'll probably just be more selective with who I engage with in future.

I guess I'm not willing to stop talking One Piece seriously? It's the earnestness I spoke of. If I wasn't taking it very seriously, I wouldn't sink so much time, effort and energy into it.

@Nidai_Kitetsu: further explanation on why I want to take a long breather.

Aah, it's not people disagreeing with my takes that made me give up. I mean I've been debating One Piece on and off for 6 years, I'm used to disagreement. There's nothing fundamentally new about disagreement that makes me unwilling to continue. It wasn't that we didn't agree per se.

I don't want to rehash what I said in the OP, and I didn't go over it in detail, but certain discussions I've had on here of recent, just really made me give up. It's not pettiness. I'm not trying to spite the community or anything.

Discussing recent stuff with several people has been very, very unfulfilling. It was emotionally draining, and I guess I approached with the mindset, that: "even if we have different interpretations, personal biases and such, we are reading the same manga, so reconciliation is in theory possible". I strived for that reconciliation and to reach like a mutual understanding.

It felt like that was not possible for some members. That it didn't really matter what happened, they already had very strong preconceptions that they were unwilling to let go of.

Maybe it's because I've invested so much effort, time, energy and had such a genuine belief that we can reconcile. Maybe it's because I don't really believe in agreeing to disagree (I pause discussions for more evidence, but for people I engage with at length: "agree to disagree" is a foreign concept to me (exceptions are when I know someone has a firm agenda they wouldn't let go of, in which case I generally don't engage).

Like I genuinely do not believe that reasonable people should agree to disagree. I can't stress how core this is to my philosophy, but it generally is. In principle, reconciliation is possible. Sometimes we pause debates due to insufficient evidence. Sometimes we may shelve debates due to time constraints, but reconciliation of our beliefs are generally possible. That is a fundamental underlying principle of my world view.

I wouldn't say I had a mental breakdown or anything, but after a while I just gave up. It felt futile. I guess my core beliefs underpinning my engagement with this community (that reconciliation is possible among people engaging in good faith) were shattered in a very brutal fashion. It was mentally harrowing.

After going through this for a few days, I really, really, really do not want this experience again. I really don't want to have to deal with this again. Like this was just a very unpleasant experience for me. I cannot stress how much this has just been a painful experience to me.

This feeling that no matter what happens, no matter what evidence is presented, no matter what arguments are raised, that so, so and so are unwilling to change their mind. That reconciliation is not just in practice impossible, it's in theory impossible.

That was a mind breaking, extremely unpleasant experience. These last few days genuinely broke me.

Discussing a manga shouldn't be unpleasant. If every week is going to be like this, then I'll rather just sit off the Rooftop fight. I don't want to go through this again. It was soul crushing.

And because of how painful this entire experience has been, it's made me feel like I need a long breather from this community.

Whenever I return, I'll probably return to discussing One Piece with only a couple dozen people. I am not ready to let go of my belief that reconciliation should be possible, so I'll probably just be more selective with who I engage with in future.

I guess I'm not willing to stop talking One Piece seriously? It's the earnestness I spoke of. If I wasn't taking it very seriously, I wouldn't sink so much time, effort and energy into it.

People won’t invest the same energy you put in bro. I think ur searching for an equal or like minded demographic. I haven’t seen much of that around here

I feel like this is a much bigger problem than this forum. People are unreasonable as fuck, and logic is not infallible. You need to stop taking other people’s supposed illogicality personally; to hear you describe forum disagreements as ‘mind breaking’ is very concerning imho.

@Fleet Admiral Lee Hung and I have very different opinions on Katakuri for example. I’m sure we both think that the other’s biases blinds us to the positives/flaws of the character, but this has no impact on our interactions or our emotional states when we discuss whatsoever. You need to find a way to engage with others without taking things personally because whether it’s irl or online, you need a much thicker skin to survive in this world.

Cinera, clearly you are acting out of pettiness because you can't accept not everyone sees eye to eye with you. Stop letting yourself get clouded by your feelings. Maybe stop debating anime if you can't handle it, i've stopped taking this shit seriously years ago.

That aside, i wish you luck.
sounds like you're jealous someone has some form of self worth

The the worst thing about forums dudes go 10+pages knowing damn well they wont agree with each other just doing it for the thrill

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
People won’t invest the same energy you put in bro. I think ur searching for an equal or like minded demographic. I haven’t seen much of that around here
I'm not really asking anyone to have the same energy and investment that I have.

I just had an expectation that reconciliation was a possible outcome.

Or rather, I believe that reconciliation should be possible. I would never seriously engage with someone if I thought that reconciliation is impossible.

That's a core belief for me. Whether it's One Piece or climate change, government response to the pandemic, etc. If I don't think that I can in theory reconcile my beliefs with someone, I wouldn't engage with them.

@Fleet Admiral Lee Hung and I have very different opinions on Katakuri for example. I’m sure we both think that the other’s biases blinds us to the positives/flaws of the character, but this has no impact on our interactions or our emotional states when we discuss whatsoever. You need to find a way to engage with others without taking things personally because whether it’s irl or online, you need a much thicker skin to survive in this world.
It wasn't the disagreement that is the problem. I mean I've had long disagreements with @Fleet Admiral Lee Hung for a while, years maybe.

We don't see eye to eye on many topics, but in general, when I discuss with him at length, we do make progress? I've updated my beliefs on Sakazuki and the Admirals due to my discussions with him. That's an example of the reconciliation I'm talking about.

What was "mind breaking" for me, I guess was the sense of banging my head against a brick wall. It was a result of a mistake I made, and not really anything anyone did.

Normally, my go to strategy is to not engage if I think reconciliation is impossible.

If you're not willing to change you mind, and I'm not willing to change mine (this is very rare, I try to be willing to update my beliefs on new evidence), then we have nothing to discuss.

I'm not willing to let go of my belief in reconciliation. I just never seriously engage when I think reconciliation is impossible.

I do think I made a mistake, but it was relentlessly striving towards reconciliation with people who were unwilling to reconcile. If I knew from the outset that someone was unwilling to change their mind, I just wouldn't have discussed with them (at least not seriously).

I don't discuss with people who I think aren't ready to change their mind.

I don't think I need "thicker skin" at least nothing anyone did offended me, and I'm not accusing anyone of anything. It's more that I misjudged things, and out of that misjudgement, I put in a lot of effort towards an endeavour that was impossible.

Realising the futility of it all, was what was painful.

I guess: "take One Piece discussions less seriously is also an option", I'll try to do that when I return.

Even for discussions I take less seriously (JJK comes to mind), I still have the same belief in reconciliation (I just invest much less effort into it).

Thanks for the advice though.

I'm not really asking anyone to have the same energy and investment that I have.

I just had an expectation that reconciliation was a possible outcome.

Or rather, I believe that reconciliation should be possible. I would never seriously engage with someone if I thought that reconciliation is impossible.

That's a core belief for me. Whether it's One Piece or climate change, government response to the pandemic, etc. If I don't think that I can in theory reconcile my beliefs with someone, I wouldn't engage with them.

It wasn't the disagreement that is the problem. I mean I've had long disagreements with @Fleet Admiral Lee Hung for a while, years maybe.

We don't see eye to eye on many topics, but in general, when I discuss with him at length, we do make progress? I've updated my beliefs on Sakazuki and the Admirals due to my discussions with him. That's an example of the reconciliation I'm talking about.

What was "mind breaking" for me, I guess was the sense of banging my head against a brick wall. It was a result of a mistake I made, and not really anything anyone did.

Normally, my go to strategy is to not engage if I think reconciliation is impossible.

If you're not willing to change you mind, and I'm not willing to change mine (this is very rare, I try to be willing to update my beliefs on new evidence), then we have nothing to discuss.

I'm not willing to let go of my belief in reconciliation. I just never seriously engage when I think reconciliation is impossible.

I do think I made a mistake, but it was relentlessly striving towards reconciliation with people who were unwilling to reconcile. If I knew from the outset that someone was unwilling to change their mind, I just wouldn't have discussed with them (at least not seriously).

I don't discuss with people who I think aren't ready to change their mind.

I don't think I need "thicker skin" at least nothing anyone did offended me, and I'm not accusing anyone of anything. It's more that I misjudged things, and out of that misjudgement, I put in a lot of effort towards an endeavour that was impossible.

Realising the futility of it all, was what was painful.

I guess: "take One Piece discussions less seriously is also an option", I'll try to do that when I return.

Even for discussions I take less seriously (JJK comes to mind), I still have the same belief in reconciliation (I just invest much less effort into it).

Thanks for the advice though.
If there’s someone who you typically argue with and you guys never get anywhere there’s no point in arguing and if they do try to argue just say “bait”

I think your goals are admirable, if not a bit idealistic, but the key takeaway is that you get way too upset by other people’s reactions to what are reasonable arguments in your mind. You can’t control how other people respond to your posts and you can’t always persuade others to your point of view. The only thing you can control is your own sense of emotional investment in this entire thing.

This whole thing started because people don’t see Zoro in the same light you do. No matter how reasonable and logical you think you’re being, or how illogical and unreasonable you think they’re being, there is no reason to ever be upset about the things that happen on a forum dedicated to discussing a fictional series and fictional characters. That’s emotional energy wasted and the fact that you’ve burned out and had to take breaks in the past may have some people wondering if this whole thing is really doing you any good.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
the fact that you’ve burned out and had to take breaks in the past may have some people wondering if this whole thing is really doing you any good.
Yeah, this is true. I guess this is my biggest flameout yet.

I'll probably think about how to make my participation in the fandom healthier/more sustainable before I consider returning.

I believe @Cinera you are the apex of zoro wanking here, well its not a stereotypical term anymore but in such debates one's eager to take any chances to hype a certain character they like, which is all good until its been taken too far, and its certainly not that everyone started to down play zoro's feat. I personally called it a sacrifice before the scans were even out, and when they were out it was twice as astonishing.

So I had to take a step back and agonize a bit regarding the hierarchy i gave zoro which was as a low-mid YC1 which was just a speculation to his ceiling he can reach at the end of Wano which was a mid-top YC1.., at first glance its seems a bit far fetched (since we don't know what zoro's capable off when he's exerting alot, and from the threshold of Post time skip to wano he has been getting bunch of maggots as opponents and in wano he has his worst fight in his carrier which is with Killer, and taking Hawkins and Apoo into consideration.. still lacking evidence to estimate his ceiling ) and taking the the scenario on the roof which isn't a 1v1 for zoro but a collaborative work against the Yonko, so there is a alot of catching Yonko involved off guard and landing shots to save luffy, which isn't an ideal situation to scale zoro, people started to rank him YC 1+... on what unfathomable bases idk, if you had replaced marco with zoro.. he would be able to do the same or better in teamwork since he has proven to match even a yonko's strength
the shockwave towers the size of skull itself something no one of the SN's could do, so how can't he not stop Hakai longer than zoro.. just coz zoro can for couple of seconds that doesn't mean he has reached the echelon of power and can top every YC 1...when we all know what happened to him afterwards and the likes of jozu who and vista who tanks signature admiral moves and deflect a Slash from a Yonko's rival but let assume that never happened at all just focus on glittering and embellishing zoro's feats... a reason why your fanbase is toxic and less welcoming of opinions since the ego is so dense.

and you'd expect the same from his peers (king, kata, Ben) these folks can give zoro the time of his life (extreme diff(still a bitter assumption) fight to zoro loosing) how zoro's fights or clashes have played off and would be a sight to watch...

There are those like you who wank zoro thinking it would make him look better which is good until you start being so shallowly conclusive and rank him over YC1's.. and now zoro is on top of the world and zoro's power knows no bound then so shall your imaginative power scaling, and the yall downplay other characters and their feats to make zoro look good... thats honestly pretty unappreciative of zoro's sacrifice when that should be honored but it being exaggerated.. which so be blasphemous lol well according to me atleast

and then there are those like me who want to see zoro grow than be soo conclusive to the point where zoro ceases to become zoro and more like a wank stick in essence just to satisfy and prove your hypothesis about him by exaggerated oversimplified and nonsensical proof.

The reason why there have been opinions claiming that there are people who can hold it off for longer is not coz people don't appreciate his feat... but the outlandish claims and over exaggerated and baseless estimates regarding his power which is purely 99.99% headcanon material or just over exaggerated panels... and some of yall even go far using it as comparative insults to sanji... when you don't shed the same light on that character coz of your personal bias..

soo its not people well some people no being appreciative.. its just your claims that make them think so and when they provide their opinions about other characters in the same situation... you're the one who get itchy and grumpy.

but you deserve a break lad.. the amount of time you and I have wasted in making eachother's respective opinions to get through just to be overlooked by ignorance.. that something i can reciprocate... but at the end of the day there should be a reassessment of one's claims and rectifications... and accept certain ideas even if they don't sit well with you but are facts nonetheless.