General & Others Importance of Zoro Defeating King and Mihawk's Portrayal.

How is king an important fight for Zoro?
Depends on how Oda goes about it, it doesn't have to be a "is Zoro stronger than King?" kinda fight. We know he is but Zoro's seriously injured right now and depending on how severe it is after whatever treatment Zoro gets, it could be it's a big obstacle against a, hopefully, competent opponent.

I expect King to be a lot more impressive once we see his hybrid busted out and once he utilizes his sword more. Not to the extent that he'd pose a big challenge to a completely fine Zoro but that's the thing, Zoro isn't fine right now. He's injured and exhausted, I could definitely see Zoro hone his abilities while facing King while in horrible shape. Zoro beating Kaido's number 1 is a good achievement and it doesn't have to be Zoro's greatest achievement this arc to be impressive or significant, especially when compared to previous arcs instead of to recent Wano stuff.

I don't know, if all Straw Hats take down fitting opponents then I imagine all their 1v1 fights this arc will be significant but considering this doesn't look likely anymore, I can completely understand Zoro not taking down King and that's fine. If the fight doesn't happen, I'll simply evaluate the fight we get and look at how that one is significant. Perhaps Marco or Sanji will take it instead.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
Depends on how Oda goes about it, it doesn't have to be a "is Zoro stronger than King?" kinda fight. We know he is but Zoro's seriously injured right now and depending on how severe it is after whatever treatment Zoro gets, it could be it's a big obstacle against a, hopefully, competent opponent.
So King gets the Hatchi treatment then.

Zoro vs King isn't going to be "is Zoro stronger than King?" — that went out of the window when Oda made Zoro heavily injured — instead it could serve a few other purposes:
  1. Demonstrate the gap between Zoro and a Yonkou's strongest subordinate.
  2. Demonstrate Zoro's inhuman willpower, resilience and/or determination.
  3. Give Zoro a training/practice opportunity for his COC against a competent opponent.
    • This works best if King himself can imbue his attacks with Haoshoku, but it's also possible without it (see Luffy at Udon).

King cannot give Zoro any of these kinds of fights:
  • Kaku
    • Zoro is already stronger than him, so he does not need to surpass him.
  • Daz Bones
    • Zoro already knows how to cut fire
  • Ryuma
    • King would need to be an equal for Zoro. This is hard to pull off when Zoro is so heavily injured.

The only of Zoro's previous fights the King fight could be analogous to is vs Hatchan. If Zoro indeed fights King, that's what's going to happen.

I expect King to be a lot more impressive once we see his hybrid busted out and once he utilizes his sword more. Not to the extent that he'd pose a big challenge to a completely fine Zoro but that's the thing, Zoro isn't fine right now. He's injured and exhausted, I could definitely see Zoro hone his abilities while facing King while in horrible shape. Zoro beating Kaido's number 1 is a good achievement and it doesn't have to be Zoro's greatest achievement this arc to be impressive or significant, especially when compared to previous arcs instead of to recent Wano stuff.
If Zoro fights King in this state, King gets the Hatchi treatment.

Zoro becoming stronger against King is possible, but it's hard to do. Zoro fighting King while heavily injured already implies that Zoro is >> King.

Zoro didn't become stronger against Hatchan, nor IIRC against Cabaji.

I don't know, if all Straw Hats take down fitting opponents then I imagine all their 1v1 fights this arc will be significant but considering this doesn't look likely anymore, I can completely understand Zoro not taking down King and that's fine. If the fight doesn't happen, I'll simply evaluate the fight we get and look at how that one is significant. Perhaps Marco or Sanji will take it instead.
I feel like you're evaluating Zoro vs King as if Zoro in some sense as if Zoro was facing him healthy. Zoro being heavily injured completely changes the dynamic of the fight.

@pg13: all of the above applies to your OP as well. Everything you said in your OP is inapplicable to the circumstances in which Zoro might fight King (while very heavily injured).

Reality is that Zoro vs King isn’t particularly important to Zoro anymore, that’s why I struggle to get excited for it and would rather Marco be the one to beat him.

Hopefully King gets something that makes him stand out in the future so I can get behind it more. Maybe a flashback of his extinct race can make him more interesting and hype him up a bit.

Right now it’s like going from having a steak dinner to a bacon sandwich. I like bacon sandwiches, but after already having my steak the bacon seems a bit meh.

I think it’s mostly irrelevant to the future as well, Zoro’s opponents then will get their own backstory, feats and hype, they don’t really rely on King in any way.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Reality is that Zoro vs King isn’t particularly important to Zoro anymore, that’s why I struggle to get excited for it and would rather Marco be the one to beat him.

Hopefully King gets something that makes him stand out in the future so I can get behind it more. Maybe a flashback of his extinct race can make him more interesting and hype him up a bit.

Right now it’s like going from having a steak dinner to a bacon sandwich. I like bacon sandwiches, but after already having my steak the bacon seems a bit meh.

I think it’s mostly irrelevant to the future as well, Zoro’s opponents then will get their own backstory, feats and hype, they don’t really rely on King in any way.
Literally the only narrative reason there is to get stomped by an injured zoro who uses it as acoc practice. Great for us zoro fans even more wank. Shit for king.

Literally the only narrative reason there is to get stomped by an injured zoro who uses it as acoc practice. Great for us zoro fans even more wank. Shit for king.
Exactly.

Sure, it will be great fun and all, but King being a glorified Hachi doesn’t particularly fill me with much excitement for him as a fighter.

Maybe if King had been better utilised throughout the arc, but he hasn’t been. All we can say about him is that he’s strong and competent, but not really outstanding.

HA001

Exactly.

Sure, it will be great fun and all, but King being a glorified Hachi doesn’t particularly fill me with much excitement for him as a fighter.

Maybe if King had been better utilised throughout the arc, but he hasn’t been. All we can say about him is that he’s strong and competent, but not really outstanding.
its not anything on king even if he had a better showing
he cant compete with what zoros done already on the roof
to me it only made sense beforehand where hed learn to cut fire grow to fight kaido etc
now the only jeopardy is because hes completely fucked up but even then we know he wins if they fight anyway

Finalbeta

Zoro Worshipper
isnt this raidsuite sanji got neg diff by king? he even beg from king stop or it will make a hole. they will be never opponents
Chrono probably doesn't realize but;

A) King was most likely merely getting started
B) Sanji's body is not entirely covered by the suit nonetheless

My problem with Zoro fighting King is that it would feel like such a downgrade for Zoro after all that has happened.

From Zoro fighting Kaido and BM and shining to fighting King.:josad:

This has partially to do with Oda not building King up as a great opponent. Compare King to Katakuri for example, Katakuri got so much hype that it made Luffy fighting only the vice captain of the BM pirates a big deal. For King vs Zoro to work, Oda needs to STEP UP with King and give him some feats already, like beating Marco for example.

HA001

My problem with Zoro fighting King is that it would feel like such a downgrade for Zoro after all that has happened.

This has partially to do with Oda not building King up as a great opponent. Compare King to Katakuri for example, Katakuri got so much hype that it made Luffy fighting only the vice captain of the BM pirates a big deal. For King vs Zoro to work, Oda needs to STEP UP with King and give him some feats already, like beating Marco for example.
thats not really an issue
luffy would have the same problem if he fought katakuri now after whats happened on the roof
the scale is too far between the yonko and king/kata even if king had a better showing

Finalbeta

Zoro Worshipper

Well it would depend on what kind of health Zoro would feature before fighting off King seriously.

I personally think that he will probably too busy with ZKK and King may be taken out by someone else, presumably Marco.