Zoro's position in the Strawhat crew

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

by akagami7 from AP
Monster is モンスター "Monsutaa" , but the raw uses kaibutsu instead, just as it uses sanningumi instead of "Torio". They're synonyms, that one word has one meaning doesn't mean there can not be another word with exactly that same meaning, specially when a language incorporates loanwords into its lexicon.

jisho.org gives trio as a valid translation of sanningumi, https://jisho.org/search/sanningumi
They get their translation data from JMnedict, as you can check in their about page https://jisho.org/about

I am sure you can find many other online dictionaries that translate it as trio, such as:
https://en.bab.la/dictionary/japanese-english/三人組
https://www.linguee.com/japanese-english/translation/三人組.html
https://eudict.com/?lang=engjpk&word=trio, gang of three, thr eesome

Of course, you could say Monster Trio is a fanmade term, because the non-fanmade term is kaibutsu sanningumi and everything else are just translations.

If you want to be that strict and literal with your translations, Strawhat Luffy is also a fanmade term, it should be mugiwara no luffy, aka Straw Luffy, since mugiwara just means straw (strawhat is mugiwaraboushi)
By Aohige_AP from AP
This is a common misconception. The term "Monster Trio" is canon, not fanmade.
It's been used quite a few times in the manga, most recently in chapter 606.
Same goes for weakling trio, Usopp actually used the term in the manga as well.

Like I said, that's a common misconception.
Oda does use the term "怪物三人組 (Monster Trio)" in the very manga itself."
By EthenBoy from WG
The popularity poll results are included in volume 99 like all other polls in previous volumes, and President Morgans gave an overall comment:
"Big News! The stronghold of that three characters known as the Monster Three has been crumbled by Nami! Results like this you'll only get from a world wide poll, that's the best part!!"

Japanese
モルガンズ社長の総評
大(ビッグ)ニュース! 「三強」(モンスタースリー)と呼ばれる3人の牙城をナミが崩した! 世界規模開催ならではの結果が醍醐味だ!!

By sandman from AP
Thank you so much for the spoilers, redon!

Someone asked me via PM about Robin's line that Sanji is the "two wings of the Pirate King". The Japanese term 両翼 is commonly used to describe 2 crucial persons/things.

I've never seen the case where 両翼 is used to describe only one person in my life, so it's safe to assume that Robin meant Sanii and "another person" being important for PK

And Oda already used the exact same word 両翼 in SBS,
saying both Zoro and Sanji are two wings for Luffy :)

Via your headcanon to twist it to fit your narrative.

Of course no one is taking your word for it, because you have shown to be a Zoro hater through and through.
I'm not a Zoro hater, I'm not laughable enough to develop love or hate for a cartoon character. Zoro remains the combatant, never the first mate, of the crew as per Vivre Card, and the word used by Urouge not only doesn't mean "first mate" but is generally used for "second in number", which isn't only about commanding (and, in this particular case, the phrase also gives us a direct context as Urouge is measuring Luffy's captaincy in terms of Zoro's high-yet-second-to-his bounty.

The beautiful thing about my opinion here is that you don't need to take my word for it because I'm not relying on my word alone but comparing Japanese panels, scripts and concepts —something called arguments.

But is BM defeated or not? 'Cause otherwise this chapter is a waste of time, come on...

Momo turning into a dragon and flying is the first step towards Momo stopping Onigashima's fall.
Does Momo have this much power?
A funny idea, but imagine Luffy awakens his DF and turns Oni island into rubber? It would minimize the damage by a lot if at all!

But I'm telling you that "second in command" isn't the same as "2番手" either and, in this particular context, Urouge directly refers a rank based on bounties since he's impressed at Zoro having such bounty yet being under Luffy. And "like the first mate" isn't the same as "first mate".

This isn't just me discussing that translation, in case you didn't know.
SHs don't have an official First Mate to begin with.

Also if you want something more explicit Bartolomeo thought Zoro was in his opinion, in-verse portrayal

I'm not a Zoro hater, I'm not laughable enough to develop love or hate for a cartoon character. Zoro remains the combatant, never the first mate, of the crew as per Vivre Card, and the word used by Urouge not only doesn't mean "first mate" but is generally used for "second in number", which isn't only about commanding (and, in this particular case, the phrase also gives us a direct context as Urouge is measuring Luffy's captaincy in terms of Zoro's high-yet-second-to-his bounty.

The beautiful thing about my opinion here is that you don't need to take my word for it because I'm not relying on my word alone but comparing Japanese panels, scripts and concepts —something called arguments.
I do beg to differ on your Zoro opinions

2nd I agree he is the combatant, where we disagree is he's been called by OP characters the VC or Second in Comand.

I do not take your word for your opinion, just find you crazy for going way out of your way to go against the grain

OMG WANJI HYPEE

Sanji the Pirate King's wing stated by best girl Robin

Luffy : Without you I can't become the Pirate King

The Sanji supremacy is already starting holy shittt Vegapank draft real confirmed
:crazwhat::crazwhat:
Sanji is the big support for Luffy. He deserves to be the wing. Only with wing someone can fly. Only with food Luffy can be healed. That's his supremacy. Being a cook :cheers:

SHs don't have an official First Mate to begin with.

Also if you want something more explicit Bartolomeo thought Zoro was in his opinion, in-verse portrayal

I know this all, irrelevant to my point. That "(by me)" added to Bartolomeo's words, whose character is closer to mocking the fandom than anything, should tell you something.

I do beg to differ on your Zoro opinions

2nd I agree he is the combatant, where we disagree is he's been called by OP characters the VC or Second in Comand.

I do not take your word for your opinion, just find you crazy for going way out of your way to go against the grain
What's "the grain"? Translations I just checked in French or Spanish, for example, lack this explicit reference to Zoro being "second in command". Stephen Paul nor Sandman represent the only true here, and while you're accepting their words blindly I'm actually bringing you the Japanese text because not only it doesn't seem to refer to Zoro as second in command, certainly not as the first mate, but I'm not the only one giving this other interpretation of Urouge's words.
Post automatically merged:

The extent to which this translation is accurate is exactly what we're discusing.

SANJI THE RIGHT FUCKING WING OF THE PIRATE KING!!!!! HELL YEAH I BEEN TELLING YALL SANJI IS NEGGING FUCKERS THIS ENTIRE ARC YALL DONT LISTENNNNN!!!!!

I KNOW THEM Z BOI ***** MAD MAD!!!!!! 😡 😡 THEY FUMING RIGHT NOW!!!!! :gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh:JUST GOT OFF WORK TO THIS SHIT!!! SANJI CANT TAKE NO FUCKING L’S BRUH!!!

I know this all, irrelevant to my point. That "(by me)" added to Bartolomeo's words, whose character is closer to mocking the fandom than anything, should tell you something.

What's "the grain"? Translations I just checked in French or Spanish, for example, lack this explicit reference to Zoro being "second in command". Stephen Paul nor Sandman represent the only true here, and while you're accepting their words blindly I'm actually bringing you the Japanese text because not only it doesn't seem to refer to Zoro as second in command, certainly not as the first mate, but I'm not the only one giving this other interpretation of Urouge's words.
Post automatically merged:

The extent to which this translation is accurate is exactly what we're discusing.
Sandman and Viz are the goddamn grain that most people... except you because you want to thread the imaginary needle

Isn't this the exact same scenario as the Queen one?, he looked at the bounties and judges their positions, placing Sanji and Zoro as the 2s and 3s while obviously thinking that Sanji is the number 2 simply based off bounty. If Urouge hypothetically referred to Zoro as the first mate why should we take that as true?, what does he know about the crews dynamic?, the only information he has to refer to is bounty.....never seen him fight, lead or interact with the crew, it's a statement based off pure assumption via a source that would now place Sanji as the "first mate" since he has a higher bounty. Robin is a straw-hat herself and a very intelligent character recognizes that Sanji is in fact one of Luffys wings, yet some people are taking her statement and throwing it to the bin because it doesn't gel with their narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.