General & Others Zoro and Sanji, Wings of Pirate King

Some Zoro fans are still defending. When the facts are in front of them, they start not to care and brainwash themselves with another explanation
Post automatically merged:

Almost every Sanji fan
Then why are you arguing?

My main point was, "Sanji fans do not want Sanji to be the wings unless Zoro is also part of those wings".....ergo left man right man
No, Sanji fans always admit that Sanji is two wings, but Zoro fans don't want Zoro and Sanji to become two wings
Zoro fans don't want to accept the fact. They think it's an insult to Zoro to put Zorro and Sanji together

What a sad fact:suresure:

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Viz translation is the official translation. Paul's is the official English translator.
Yeah that's just a pathetic excuse. Oda makes mistakes, it doesn't change that he is the official author.
Paul's translation is also proof read so again can you even prove it is a mistake? This is the typical case of "translation does not fit my narrative so it must be a mistake"

1) Are those other translations the official English translation?

2) Viz translation is proofread by Japanese editors

3) Previous statement by Oda that never states that Zoro and Sanji are part of the same wing. You already conceded this point do why even bring it up

Raws has it as plural. Like I said, you can't be picking and choosing something to fit your narrative.
Paul is the official English translator, which doesn't make his "the official translation" because he doesn't provide the only official translation in the whole world since English isn't the only language ever. Officiality isn't an argument here because, as other users have shown too, there's at least one official translation that goes by "one of the wings".

It's not "the typical case" of a translation not fitting my narrative.

Being "proofread" by Japanese editors may not mean what you think it means since we don't even know what that "proofread" process consists on, starting by the fact that Paul's translation is a literal one that any editor would easily pass as good. Also, isn't the other official translation, by the same publisher as the English one, "proofread" too?

I never said Oda's previous statement referred to Zoro and Sanji being part of the same wing. Just learn how to read a simple post so I don't need to repeat this obvious fact over again.

Raws has it plural, which doesn't mean that the best translation is "wings" alone because, surprise, Japanese =/= English; which is a simple thing many Japanese readers have been explaining over these days.

At this point, I'm pretty sure the best translation would have been "Sanji is one of the wings", just like virtually anybody but Paul understood, including Japanese readers and other official translators.

Paul is the official English translator, which doesn't make his "the official translation" because he doesn't provide the only official translation in the whole world since English isn't the only language ever. Officiality isn't an argument here because, as other users have shown too, there's at least one official translation that goes by "one of the wings".

It's not "the typical case" of a translation not fitting my narrative.

Being "proofread" by Japanese editors may not mean what you think it means since we don't even know what that "proofread" process consists on, starting by the fact that Paul's translation is a literal one that any editor would easily pass as good. Also, isn't the other official translation, by the same publisher as the English one, "proofread" too?

I never said Oda's previous statement referred to Zoro and Sanji being part of the same wing. Just learn how to read a simple post so I don't need to repeat this obvious fact over again.

Raws has it plural, which doesn't mean that the best translation is "wings" alone because, surprise, Japanese =/= English; which is a simple thing many Japanese readers have been explaining over these days.

At this point, I'm pretty sure the best translation would have been "Sanji is one of the wings", just like virtually anybody but Paul understood, including Japanese readers and other official translators.
You are giving a long winded explanation of a point I've already made and you have already conceded.

Is Paul's translation the Official English Translation or not?

You are free to argue in other languages if you want...
I read English translations because that is the language I understand.

No there isn't an official translation that goes by that. There's an official translation in another language not English.

Lol you are the one to prove that the proofreading actually doesn't involve proper proofreading not me.

Obviously the only one with reading abnormalities is you. Go back and read your own statement.
Previous statement by Oda that used the same wording as in last chapter disagreeing with his interpretation
Read properly

Yeah your opinion > the official English translator. Look at this level of delusion. The translation does not favor your narrative so it must be wrong...keep it up, unfortunately it won't change the facts

Is Paul's translation the Official English Translation or not?
Yes, and I never denied it.

I read English translations because that is the language I understand.
And since that's the (only?) language you understand, you are trying to debate me with a limited understanding of this issue.

No there isn't an official translation that goes by that. There's an official translation in another language not English.
I was obviously translating it to you since you wouldn't understand it in the original language. I wasn't saying that there's another English official translation saying "one of the wings".

Lol you are the one to prove that the proofreading actually doesn't involve proper proofreading not me.
The issue here is what "proofreading" actually consists on (I don't know how familiar you are with the world of professional translations, but it's rarely about having an editor spending lots of time reviewing the translator's work), that other official translations that are supposedly proofread too used other versions, and well, ultimately that "wings" alone passes as a literal translation but not necessarily the best one nor the most idiomatic (which happens tons of times in official translations and happened to Paul before too).

Obviously the only one with reading abnormalities is you. Go back and read your own statement.
My own statement:

dynamic of Zoro and Sanji being Luffy's wings
Zoro and Sanji were both referred in SBS as Luffy's wings.
And who said they are part of the same wing? It said they are Luffy's wings using the same wording Robin used here
Never said anything like Zoro and Sanji being "part of the same wing", as you accused me for here:

SBS never said they are PART OF THE SAME WING. Try again
Yeah your opinion > the official English translator. Look at this level of delusion. The translation does not favor your narrative so it must be wrong...keep it up, unfortunately it won't change the facts
My opinion + another official translator's opinion + Japanese readers' opinions + Oda's previous statement using the exact same wording but referring to both Zoro and Sanji > the official English translator and his too literal, non-idiomatic translation.

Your facts aren't there, buddy. It's just that your world seems to be way too little to comprehend my position, but hey, go praise your English translation since that's the only thing you seem to understand.

Last edited:
So some Zoro fans still full Copium ignoring literally everything else but claiming that Viz is being 100% accurate with the translation, it's like they won the lottery and it is the only explanation

Must be hard to be that way :josad:

It's like there is no parallels

Last edited:
So some Zoro fans still full Copium ignoring literally everything else but claiming that Viz is being 100% accurate with the translation, it's like they won the lottery and it is the only explanation

Must be hard to be that way :gokulaugh:
This is even better because in this case MANGA Plus also published, alongside Paul's, another official translation that chose the "one of the wings" version. But hey, English is the only thing that matters in this small world and Paul's always perfect and completely idiomatic translations shall not be discussed, even if they aren't wrong per se but simply open to interpretation.

This is even better because in this case MANGA Plus also published, alongside Paul's, another official translation that chose the "one of the wings" version. But hey, English is the only thing that matters in this small world and Paul's always perfect and completely idiomatic translations shall not be discussed, even if they aren't wrong per se but simply open to interpretation.
Can only trust one official translation, not the others I guess

Stop bringing these "SBS" thing and Japanese readers interpretation.
All that matter is English one, also the spanish version guys are dumb cuz they translated "one of the wings" too

Yes, and I never denied it.
So your long winded explanation was just to waste our time

And since that's the (only?) language you understand, you are trying to debate me with a limited understanding of this issue.
You are debating in English yet expect me to look at a Spanish translation...you know how dumb that sounds

was obviously translating it to you since you wouldn't understand it in the original language. I wasn't saying that there's another English official translation saying "one of the wings".
Are you the official English translator? We don't need your translation from Spanish to English because we already have the official English translator translating from the original Japanese to English.

The issue here is what "proofreading" actually consists on (I don't know how familiar you are with the world of professional translations, but it's rarely about having an editor spending lots of time reviewing the translator's work), that other official translations that are supposedly proofread too used other versions, and well, ultimately that "wings" alone passes as a literal translation but not necessarily the best one nor the most idiomatic (which happens tons of times in official translations and happened to Paul before too
Again you seem to not understand the point.
>Viz is the official one piece translator
> Paul is the official English translator for Viz
> Paul's work is proofread by the Japanese editors.

Very simple.

Never said anything like Zoro and Sanji being "part of the same wing", as you accused me for here:
Literally quoted you saying Oda's words in the SBS was contrary to what Paul translated. Yet you are here claiming you didn't say anything.
Previous statement by Oda that used the same wording as in last chapter disagreeing with his interpretation
What is the Paul's statement disagreeing with?
My opinion + another official translator's opinion + Japanese readers' opinions > the official English translator and his too literal, non-idiomatic translation.
Lol.

Your facts aren't there, buddy. It's just that your world seems to be way too little to comprehend my position, but hey, go praise your English translation since that's the only thing you seem to understand
Oh I can comprehend your position very well...agenda pushing narrative. I just don't accept it over established facts

You are debating in English yet expect me to look at a Spanish translation...you know how dumb that sounds
We are debating in English about a topic that goes beyond English. It only sounds dumb to you because your world is too small to get the perspective I manage here.

Are you the official English translator? We don't need your translation from Spanish to English because we already have the official English translator translating from the original Japanese to English.
But I'm giving you the official Spanish translation from the original Japanese to Spanish, plus what Japanese readers virtually unanimously interpret from Robin's statement (I'm giving you too much attention by even caring about a secondary product like a translation when direct readers understand what I do), plus the SBS reference.

Again you seem to not understand the point.
>Viz is the official one piece translator
> Paul is the official English translator for Viz
> Paul's work is proofread by the Japanese editors.

Very simple.
I understand the point very well. But you clearly don't know how the world of professional translation works, nor what "proofread" even means, nor that a proofread translation can be not-as-accurate (per lacking idiomacy or even passing mistakes) as it could, nor that Paul's isn't the only official translation shared by Shueisha.

And considering that Paul has made mistakes before, allow me to laugh at what you believe "proofreading" is about.

Literally coated you saying Oda's words in the SBS was contrary to what Paul translated. Yet you are here claiming you didn't say anything.
I don't know what you believe I said, but what I've been saying throughout this thread is that the SBS stated Zoro and Sanji to be Luffy's wings, not part of a wing or whatever you understood.

You only have one official translator while I have one official translator plus Japanese native readers plus Oda's previous SBS statement referring to both Zoro and Sanji as Luffy's wings that matches last chapter's wording that was apparently reduced to Sanji being Luffy's wings as a whole instead of one of them. You tell me why you're laughing.

Oh I can comprehend your position very well...agenda pushing narrative. I just don't accept it over established facts
At least my narrative can be said in more than one language. Your facts aren't there, it's just that you can only understand what is in English. Good luck with attempting to discuss translations when you can only comprehend one language involved, I guess.

Paul chose to go by a literal translation of a term in Japanese that tons of people (including native speakers and other official translators) would translate as "one of the wings" because of the semantic nuances of said term. I'm just defending that "Sanji is one of the future Pirate King's wings" not only is correct, because it factually is, but it's way more idiomatic than "Sanji is the future Pirate King's wings" and fits way better the SBS statement it's clearly referring.

Simple as that.

Lmfaooooo this thread is hilarious. First of all lemme say this:

1. Sanji being referred to as wings or one of the wings of luffy as it pertains to this discussion is not really that serious. Itโ€™s meant to be a figure of speech for how important he is to luffy.
2. Sanji and zoro being the wings of luffy does not have to be related To strength alone as itโ€™s clear zoro is ahead in That regard.
3. Japanese translators should be more accurate as they have a clearer understanding of the particular wording oda uses and the context in which he uses it. Not saying the English translation is off however basing it as a fact is very weird as they have made incredibly terrible mistakes in the past.

so with all that said my question is what is yโ€™allโ€™s frustration with zoro and sanji being the wings of luffy? Iโ€™m legitimately curious ๐Ÿง

There was a case not long ago in MHA with Bakugo's hero name being translated differently, and the English translator said that it's not entirely up to him and there's a whole process to go through, and things don't always go his way.

He managed to correct that in a few days, and the online english chapters got modified with the new translation.

Depending on the particular chain they need to go through with each language translation, sometimes the translators don't even have the freedom to give a proper "interpretation" of the text appropriate to the language and the chapter goes out with a "one to one" translation that can't convey everything the japanese text does.

With Bakugo's Hero name it also helped that people made a huge fuss over it online and contacted the translator in large numbers, which is how we got said information in the first place in regards to translators no having full control of what goes out.