General & Others OP Manga Sales Declining

We're not even just talking about total volume sales here, lol. The newest volumes are each selling less than the one before. And that's in spite of the extensive promotion, anime revamp, movies, ch + ep 1000, Wano "War" buzz, etc.

OP's length is stopping it from gaining many new fans, whilst its existing fans are getting older and/or moving on to better things. The declining story quality is just the speeding up the process. I was surprised to see that a lot of the issues brought up over here, are recognised in Japan too. Like too many characters, dragging plots and the sorts.
When you think about it something like the MCU is easier to access through different characters. For instance, if you are only invested in Captain America's character you can follow the journey through his POV without feeling overwhelmed even with the crossovers. Shang Chi is another example where you can watch the film without having any prior knowledge of the other movies that came before.

The length of the series is starting to become an handicap but I think its undeniable that quality of the story decreased in the TS for all the reasons you have listed. However, the last chapter felt like vintage One Piece when the story did not cut to 4 different places at the same time and actually focused on interesting things.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
If fans and Shueisha didn't pressure oda to rush WCI to go to wano
Wano wouldn't be this messy
Oda wasn't pressured. Oda himself said that WCI was always supposed to be short, but he kept adding new ideas and made it too long. He had to axe it as soon as possible because of it which is why WCI feels so messy.

No one is to blame but Oda.

It should decline. Oda hasnt evolved as a writer, Luffy hasn't evolved as a protagonist. Year after year Oda has fooled the readers with subpar plotlines rehashing the same formula, not anymore.
A subpar plotline and predicted writing wouldnt last that long. Most mangas dont get that much longevity because of those you cant say that with OP just becase its sales were declining after 20 yrs lol

I think due to the length of OP, it's hard to really catch up if you start from the very start, the 1000 chaps look overwhelming, new readers would prefer newer and shorter series because it will be easy to catch up to its latest.

I think OP readers were the one right now who has been there ever since.

The drop is due to competition and preference and has really nothing or lil thing to do with oda

Pre-TS OP was great. That carried OP for another decade.
Nah it meh show for pretimeskip one piece manga.

I could not understand how hell normal being like nami can’t die from super human people.:gokulaugh::gokulaugh:

Or fishmen 10 times strong myth as chimp 4 to 8 times strong myth as alrong arc show. :gokulaugh:
‘It is only very strong fishman show the Superman strength like alrong, and his main officers like chow.

Or how merry boat survive when marine battle shooting at the broken boat during buster call. Even luffy ship have biggest plot or luck in the world to survive buster call while being broken by ship experts.

I can goes one and one. But I will stop here.

Post ts isnt that bad either, borderline fine.

If there's reason for the sale decline it will be due to the length, i can say new readers prefer series that were shorter and easier to catch up.
Post-ts is mediocre. Thats why I said it should decline and be at its rightful place in terms of sales, which is 6th - 10th. Not at number 1, where it stayed year after year.

Does anybody really believe atrocious plots like "wedding cake" is the best Japan has to offer?

Last edited:
I read all the comments in this thread and i wanted to make a comment adressing all the things you guys said.

One Piece is a long series we should understand this first. Its hard for new readers to start a series with 100 volumes long.
Most people chooses to read a 20-30 volume series. Thats why One Piece isnt getting much new readers.
Also we are in an arc for 3 years most people wants to move on the next island.
In the pandemic a lot of people started to read the manga and One Piece is long people prefers reading JJK to OP.

Yes OP sales getting worse but i dont think Oda's writing affects it that much as you guys say. Unless he draws a Marineford type arc sales are gonna go lower. And i think when we enter the final story arc the sales are gonna up too the sales you guys like so much that you are using it to downplay a series.

Wano is not bad as you guys said. I reread the arc and i can say quite confidently that Wano is better than WCI and Dressrosa (for me).
I guess the people shitting on post timeskip are just sees the peaks of pre timeskip and wants post timeskip to deliver it.
Also battles arent affecting the sales that much i am not saying it doesnt affect it does but story telling is the main reason for how good the series is selling.
Like Zou doesnt have a fight but it has good sales. So comparing fight doesnt work either.

I dont see much of a difference in Pre and Post timeskip other than post timeskip is more Plot focused as it should be because wrapping up a series over a thousand chapters is a hard thing.

I think Oda's writing is the same if there is a difference its editors and the fact that he needs to end the series. So he is rushing arcs and cutting plot points which results in a rushed situations.
There is no time for Oda to go on unnecessary plot points but One Piece is a child series first and foremost so he is doing silly stuffs that he does all the time even in your favourite pre timeskip.

Lastly i see this thread as a hate thread people trying to downplay One Piece by saying it doesnt have much sales compared to the other series and using this excuse to criticize the series with the other manga and with pre timeskip.
If you want to criticize the series just open a thread about it.

Wow, i talked a lot i guess i had a lot to say. I like One Piece even if it has flaws. Just enjoy the series and dont bring numbers to downplay a series. And dont forget MORE SALES DOESNT MEAN A BETTER SERIES.

JJK in the top spot sold almost five times more volumes than OP, I think it has less to do with the pandemic than a visible decline in quality…everyone had to stay inside for a year and a half and do nothing but consume the media of their choice, and with all that personal freedom, the majority of buyers decided this series wasn’t worth their while.
Jjk wouldn't have sold at all if sales were driven by quality

sells dropped a lot but honestly if it sell even half of its current sell per volume its still a lot of sells

personally i think 101-102 will sell more than 98-100 and my reason is its more shp centric most of fans don't give a shit about 9rs and wano people

oda wast to much time on 9rs wano people (and it wasn't good quality) also so many chapter was people running around (luffy yamato etc)

i don't think we will see 3m+ sell for a volume unless oda make a banger arc in the future (wano isn't it)

I read all the comments in this thread and i wanted to make a comment adressing all the things you guys said.

One Piece is a long series we should understand this first. Its hard for new readers to start a series with 100 volumes long.
Most people chooses to read a 20-30 volume series. Thats why One Piece isnt getting much new readers.
Also we are in an arc for 3 years most people wants to move on the next island.
In the pandemic a lot of people started to read the manga and One Piece is long people prefers reading JJK to OP.

Yes OP sales getting worse but i dont think Oda's writing affects it that much as you guys say. Unless he draws a Marineford type arc sales are gonna go lower. And i think when we enter the final story arc the sales are gonna up too the sales you guys like so much that you are using it to downplay a series.

Wano is not bad as you guys said. I reread the arc and i can say quite confidently that Wano is better than WCI and Dressrosa (for me).
I guess the people shitting on post timeskip are just sees the peaks of pre timeskip and wants post timeskip to deliver it.
Also battles arent affecting the sales that much i am not saying it doesnt affect it does but story telling is the main reason for how good the series is selling.
Like Zou doesnt have a fight but it has good sales. So comparing fight doesnt work either.

I dont see much of a difference in Pre and Post timeskip other than post timeskip is more Plot focused as it should be because wrapping up a series over a thousand chapters is a hard thing.

I think Oda's writing is the same if there is a difference its editors and the fact that he needs to end the series. So he is rushing arcs and cutting plot points which results in a rushed situations.
There is no time for Oda to go on unnecessary plot points but One Piece is a child series first and foremost so he is doing silly stuffs that he does all the time even in your favourite pre timeskip.

Lastly i see this thread as a hate thread people trying to downplay One Piece by saying it doesnt have much sales compared to the other series and using this excuse to criticize the series with the other manga and with pre timeskip.

Wow, i talked a lot i guess i had a lot to say. I like One Piece even if it has flaws. Just enjoy the series and dont bring numbers to downplay a series. And dont forget MORE SALES DOESNT MEAN A BETTER SERIES.
Imo compared to pre-TS, currently Oda drags an arc to inefficiently because he makes more of unimportant prolonged fights against fodders in the spotlite instead of summarizing or shortening them, gags and shenanigans within war that important characters inappropriately do, empty hypes that doesn't deliver, mini-stories or mini-arcs within the arcs themselves like Wedding Cake or Fire Yokai, stuff like that. If he get rid of those and just focus the spotlite properly on important stories, important battles, important developments, every arc will be extremely good.

Wano is better than WCI, sure. But WCI is not really the gold standard of an epic story arc. Wano is barely above average. Without rooftop piece, its below average. But thats not what we were promised. According to Oda, it was supposed to be an arc that makes Marineford look cute. The readers believed in him and patiently waited for the payoff. Even tolerated Big Mom's hungry tantrums due to Oda's pre-TS track record. However, Oda delivered us Yamato, Momo, Oden's 5 years' naked dance, a soulless antagonist who ranked 65th in the popularity poll, incompetent Tobi Roppo, tons of forgettable side characters and fucking Big Mom once again!

How long have you been reading One Piece? "One Piece is the best selling manga" has been the go-to argument of every One Piece fan. And stfu with "just enjoy the series" shit. When fans waited patiently year after year, they have a right to vent their frustration. The decline in sales is directly correlated to the quality of the manga.