Status
Not open for further replies.
Tension is important, but it alone doesn’t make a show good because otherwise there’s tons of trash like Akamai Ga Kill which would be considered masterpieces.

And again, I don’t really think Yaiba has really amazing story elements like top tier character development or expansive world building. The manga is decent and enjoyable but no peak fiction by any means.

The anime is peak fiction but because of the art, animation, and sound design. And where I say art, I mean literally, characters like the upper moons look much cooler in the anime style.
The characterisation on one hand is one of its strongest points. Gotouge's so effective at concisely communicating who a character is. She created a character that's infinitely more impactful, memorable and understood in a mere 10 chapters, than Oda for instance could manage in hundreds.

The anime is amazing, but the main reasons people like it are because of the strengths of the manga.

The characterisation on one hand is one of its strongest points. Gotouge's so effective at concisely communicating who a character is. She created a character that's infinitely more impactful, memorable and understood in a mere 10 chapters, than Oda for instance could manage in hundreds.

The anime is amazing, but the main reasons people like it are because of the strengths of the manga.
Characterization =/= character development or good character writing. Demon Slayer has strong characterization but there’s very little progression or development. Kind of like JoJo’s.

I would go so far as to say that if you’re trying to claim that Demon Slayer is a character driven story like Vinland Saga or Vagabond you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Is this it? Pre-timeskip shit that people have been using to say that post timeskip Luffy was stronger than Zoro and it probably doesn't even say that? :milaugh:

All of this because that Artur bozo used a post timeskip Zoro pic on his translations. :kobeha:

Demon slayer is ok its nothing amazing the anime carries it hard though.
If it werent for the great animation it wouldnt be as popular as it is.
Not just the animation, the art as well.

Post automatically merged:

Well the manga volumes are not carried by anime ; sure it introduced it to a bunch but if manga was shit then it wouldn't sell so much volumes
The manga didn’t explode in popularity until after the anime.

Peroroncino

🅷🅰🅻🅰 🅼🅰🅳🆁🅸🅳
Well the manga volumes are not carried by anime ; sure it introduced it to a bunch but if manga was shit then it wouldn't sell so much volumes
Oh yeah it got an anime because it sold well enough to get one.
But the manga only really started selling like crazy after the anime.
Demon slayer is known more for its great anime than for the manga.

Oh yeah it got an anime because it sold well enough to get one.
But the manga only really started selling like crazy after the anime.
Demon slayer is known more for its great anime than for the manga.
Agreed but It sold like crazy if I am not mistaken like 40 times more in a year in comparison to one piece ; JJK is also following that trend

Yeah but as I said people won't read manga if it sucks that much
I never said it sucks. Just that’s it decent and enjoyable while the anime is amazing.

I know. Never said it was.

Bold yet wrong claim lol.
If you’re trying to argue that Demon Slayer is character driven then you’re flat out incorrect.

Character driven stories have strong themes of introspection and slow burn periods filled with long monologues.

I don’t really think Demon Slayer is that chief.

Character driven stories have strong themes of introspection and slow burn periods filled with long monologues.
This is not a definition. Merely traits of various CDS.
I don’t really think Demon Slayer is that chief.
It's a story that favours exploring the characters and their relationships over a plot or sequence of events. Hence why the narrative is so incredibly basic and the real story comes from unpacking the character themes and relationships, discovering who they are.

It's a story that favours exploring the characters and their relationships over a plot or sequence of events. Hence why the narrative is so incredibly basic and the real story comes from unpacking the character themes and relationships, discovering who they are.
Maybe we read it differently but I always experienced Demon Slayer as an action first series with strong characterization, not as a character driven story. To me that means something else.

Maybe we read it differently but I always experienced Demon Slayer as an action first series with strong characterization, not as a character driven story. To me that means something else.
To each their own, but KnY has always been a pretty darn clear example of a CDS. You need only look at the closing pages of the manga where the narration highlights the messages and realisations all the characters came to throughout their arcs.
There was never anything of real substance to unpack from the plot of the individual arcs. It was the same each time. Visit location, find demon, kill demon. All the story comes from the contrasting ideals, characters, themes and the actions + realisations they make.

I will just add this here — in my opinion, the establishment of character relationships is one of the weakest in the series. The execution would be so awkward most of the times. At least the relationships through Tanjiro. It didn’t feel natural and believable at all.

Another element I hate in the series is the humor. Weakest in the series. Absolutely abysmal. Cringe most of the times.

To each their own, but KnY has always been a pretty darn clear example of a CDS. You need only look at the closing pages of the manga where the narration highlights the messages and realisations all the characters came to throughout their arcs.
There was never anything of real substance to unpack from the plot of the individual arcs. It was the same each time. Visit location, find demon, kill demon. All the story comes from the contrasting ideals, characters, themes and the actions + realisations they make.
Believe it or not I actually think the last few pages reinforce rather than debunk the notion that Demon Slayer is not character driven.

While they may contain lots of characters, good CDS usually only focus on the development of a small number (think two or three) main characters.

Examples would be stuff like Vagabond, Vinland, or Berserk which heavily focus on 2-3 characters and everything else in the story just revolves around them.

An example of a good CDS that has a lot of quirky characters but still only focuses 2-3 would be something like Jigokuraku.

I will just add this here — in my opinion, the establishment of character relationships is one of the weakest in the series. The execution would be so awkward most of the times. At least the relationships through Tanjiro. It didn’t feel natural and believable at all.
This is what I’m saying. Strong characterization =/= good character writing or character driven.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.