Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would actually really like for Carrot to join the crew. I don't think there's any chance she joins and Yamato doesn't but I'm open to the idea of both joining. I think her su long form is Oda's best character design by far, and I think her abilities have a lot of potential to be really interesting. I would love to be convinced that she is joining the crew. Clearly, I am biased against Carrot, since that is the only way I could not agree with C4N's arguments:josad:

The flashback of Jack’s attack should be from her perspective. The flashback shows her idyllic life before hand. Her relationship with Pedro is expanded upon. We are given reasons to care about her going out to sea (does she feel trapped in Zou? Does she have family members thst left? Did she try to go but Inu/Neko told her she was too young?)
Thus neglecting the surprise of seeing Carrot on the ship

Show her trying to connect with Zunisha. Maybe make ordinary Minks laugh at her for trying to talk to the elephant- while having the more informed ones, Inu, Neko, Pedro, look thoughtfully at her attempts.
For what reasons ?

When Jack invades, she actually tries to fight him but is wrecked. She’s the one who meets the Strawhats, tries to fight them and begs for help, not Wanda.
Thus putting her in the position of someones who is losing her trust for others. Destroying completely Carrot characterization as a naive young girl. And destroying a part of her vision of life too early.

In the present day, she spends most of Zou bonding with Luffy and hearing about the Strawhat tales in the sea.
For what reason ? For what purpose ? What would it tell about her ?

She first asks permission to come on the Sanji trip but is refused.
Thus oblitaring her characterization as a teenager who doesn't ask for autorization to do stuff and act. Therefore destroying also part of her characterization as a reckless young girl who don't like to follow orders. (you know... Exactly what got her defeated in the first place)

WCI- her deciding to come with the crew is not just some dumbass cheerful “oh I want to see the world tee hee how cute and spunky am I?” She’s snuck in because she wants to help the Strawhats, she wants to know about Zou and thinks they’ll tell her and she wants an adventure.
Thus oblitaring completely the purpose of having Carrot discovering the real harshness of the sea AT SEA. Neglecting therefore her entire character arc.

Her and Pedro actually talk to each other throughout the arc so we have any reason to care when he blows herself up. First chunk of WCI up until then can broadly stay the same, have her be a fun presence that bonds with the crew and lightens the load of all the melodrama surrounding Sanji. This is fine, because all the groundwork has been laid on Zou.
That, Oda coud have done yes. But it wouldn't have made Carrot more important. It would have only for effect to enhance the redflag of Pedro. Lowering therefore the surprise of his self sacrifice. Why ? Because describing a bond in a risky mission is a well known trope in war storylines. The trope usually ends up with the mentor figure, dead.

Instead here, only the necessary bonds between Carrot and Pedro was created (a father/daughter relationship on the first half of Whole cake) therefore the surprise was a lot less evident for casual readers.

Escape part comes, actually have her do some amazing lookout stuff that complements Jinbei‘s helmanships. Stuff that people actually comment on and care about. Have Luffy actually talk to her at some point.
That's exactly what chapter 888 and 889. It's very complicated to make Carrot do something truly at the prism of Jinbe's job only at the look out post. This is a very passive post. That's why Carrot was introduced not only as a look out, but as a sentinelle too. Making Carrot a sentry.

The first part - the look out - of her job, is depicted in the first half of the chapter with an entire double page. Then this is the sentinelle part of her job that is focused upon during the other part of the chapter.

This can be said because of the omnipresence of the notions of both observation and strategic annihilation.

Carrot seems to be the final strawhat. Oda went OVERBOARD with her shining Nakama action. This is the action - relating to a post - that is the most impressive (with Nami's cyclone prediction) and beautifully crafted. You will understand more of that when I will have created my article on the analysis of both chapter on my blog.

The only thing you need to understand. Is that what you just described. Actually happen. You need to look at it and accept it.

Wano- first half, actually give her a role.
She as one. Gathering supplies and weapon. Role given by Kinemon and Inuarashi.

She ruminates on Pedro’s last words throughout the arc, wondering what is so special about Wano and why the Minks and the Kozuki are linked. Maybe even actually ask Inu what the Dawn is?
That would have been a nice addition indeed. Not too destructive for the story in itself. The problem is that Wano is such a compact arc with so many storyline, that craming a storyline about Carrot would have felt like a side track, Wano is not Carrot's story. Plus if we imagine that Oda wants to create a surprise with his final Nakama. This would have neglected the surprise too early. But I like the idea nonetheless.

Meanwhile, Inu and Neko and Wanda and such have seen that Carrot has grown and she was right to leave Zou despite what they said. Have them ask her little leading questions “what do you want to do? Have you thought about the future?” Carrot is not so sure.
This is not something that needs to happen in the middle of an arc. This is an end game storyline. BEcause it creates a final choice for the protagonist. I expect this situation to arrive at the very end of Wano, just after the banquet.

Onigashima comes. She actually sticks around with the Strawhats and is treated like one.
Done already.

Joins them in the welcoming party.
No more surprise

Shows Usopp how she has even better eyesight than him instead of being shunted to the back.
This is still possible

She actually plays a role in beating him
Thus annihilating the impact of a defeat on her character arc, therefore annihilating her character arcrevolving around the awakening of the awereness of the danger of the sea in a gurl fool of certitude and naivety.

-------------

In the long run. I'm glad Oda is at the helm. Because 95% of what your are proposing would either oblitarate the characterization of Carrot or destroy her character arc.

Oda developped Carrot that way for a purpose. Treating Carrot like usual strawhats wouldn't have worked and/or would neglect the surprise of Carrot sneaking on the ship again, making her therefore the next future strawhat.

When we write. We don't give more importance to a character by making them appear everywhere. We do that by putting them through meaningfull challenges and creating impactfull moment with them.

That's what the Shining moment of Carrot was in 888.
That's what Carrot's moment with Chopper was during whole cake
That's what the lost of Pedro was
That's what Carrot's moment with Sanji was.
That's what this defeat against Perospero was.

Carrot might be in the shadows right now. But despite that. She as always been trated as an important protagonist by Oda.

[SIZE=4]CarrotForNakama[/SIZE] just so that you can understand and grow as a person. What Carrot and the minks do is gliding.

Gliding by definition is moving through the air without thrust. Meaning the person or aircraft moves and maneuvers through the air by not generating thrust themselves but use an external force. This can be a jump or gravity(jumping from a mountain). For example flying squirrels to it or Gliders(sport check it out).
Flying is moving through the air by generating thrust themselves. Example helicopters, airplanes or birds flapping their wings.

learn and grow maybe someday someone will start taking you seriously
Call it whatever you want. It's still a special ability that only Carrot is able to do is base form.

But Sanji uses his brain to skywalk so u saying that she was never thinking during that time 😭😂, please try something else.
Yeah.. pretty much. Carrot is kind of a goof ball. She only think in dire situa.... no.. Scrap that. Carrot almost doesn't think. She only acts, like Luffy. For example I will use the anime as you like it : When Carrot helps Luffy jumps in that filler episode when Zou needs to be patched up.. does it means that Luffy can't go as fast as she ? No of course he can, by catapulting himself. But being carried sometimes is fun so why not follow the wind ?

carrot doesn’t have a lot of mysteries that surrounds her character whatsoever. Nor does she have an enemy that really has hindered her progress in life in a future arc. Most of her enemies have already been defeated by non-strawhats so there’s really no incentive for her to continue her journey with them. Carrot has been much more of a sense of curiosity rather than mystery. The two mysterious characters in whole cake island Ark were reiju and pudding. Carrot by comparison just felt like a background character and support character just going along for the ride and displaying what minks were capable of. Her personality zou, and going whole cake island was basically like this

What Does This Button Do? (original) - YouTube
That’s all there is to it. She was not special mink that made her different from any other mink she wasn’t on top of her class. She was just an underling in a musketeer that’s it. When we landed in wano she was pushed to the background and became less relevant as the arc went on.
Carrot fight wasn’t even on full display in comparison to Yamato. Her potential goal that fans had interpret would be shaft by Oni princess who seems know more about it while Carrot remains silent what is it about. The traitor in zou turn out to be kanjuro all along that sent jack to zou while carrot remain loyal to the alliance. Which is not a bad thing, but I think fans want to see other side to carrot instead this cheerful persona.

Robin by contrast in alabasta, skypia, and the foxy arc had a lot of mysteries surrounding her character. For example
Robin the government has been looking for her 20 years

She had bounty at the age of 8

She sunk 10 battle warships

She knows something about the will of D

Every organization she had work within past has been annihilated the only person who escape was her

Reading the poneglaphs

There to many enemies within her dream.

An island was destroyed during buster call

water 7 and enies lobby would tell us everything we needed to know. Robin after alabasta would be consider be the member group. However, She wouldn't call strawhats there names except for Luffy. It was not until thriller bark robin would eventually call her new found friends by there real name instead of the roles they have.
Before Robin we had Nami who also had mysterious surrounding her character during the orange town, captain kuro and baratie arc. She was already considered member of the team. Nami for example had this

she Hates pirates

She loves money and tangerines

Pirates took something very deer to her

Wants to collect 100 million berries to buy a certain land

Pirates do nothing more than destroy

Surprise by Luffy words he considers his crew his friends when being angry when captain kuro attack his own men.

Arlong wanted poster

She wants to be free

Bellemere
The Arlong Park arc would tell us everything we needed to know
Do you want to put Robin in contrast with Usopp before he joined.. just to see if your comparison is relevant at all ?

Just sayin..

I think Carrot was just another character to make us invested into the minks. She’s cute and bubbly unlike Pedro who’s stoic and scarred up. She’s basically Rebecca without a kingdom.
Her dynamic and characterization is completely different taht the characterization base that Rebecca and other arc characters are falling into.

It's funny how yhr CarrotForNakama faction ignores the fact that Yamato knows what Luffys dream is or whatever and cried and whatnot.
Sabo also know Luffy's dream, it doesn't make him a good candidate because of that.

For the 100th time yamato's chance of joining >> Carrot's :cheers::cheers:
Nah

Where did it's said that the crew needs a lookout?
Oda is implying that here. We have gone through this already: Someone with the capacity of having a light sleep while being on a watch (a rabbit ndlr) is more than an asset for this kind of situation and will permit the strawhat to be well rested.

Clearly, I am biased against Carrot, since that is the only way I could not agree with C4N's arguments:josad:
You case is different. You are not really biased toward Carrot. You are biased against me.

That's Zoro's nap place. I doubt he cares if Bunny stew makes him lose his job.
Usopp used to fix Merry, doubt he cares that Franky has become the official shipwright for the Sunny.
But still, he's on the lookout though, and also didn't they want to water 7 to find an official shipwright to fix the merry? Cause Usopp didn't do a good job at it that's why they went to water 7.

Yeah.. pretty much. Carrot is kind of a goof ball. She only think in dire situa.... no.. Scrap that. Carrot almost doesn't think. She only acts, like Luffy. For example I will use the anime as you like it : When Carrot helps Luffy jumps in that filler episode when Zou needs to be patched up.. does it means that Luffy can't go as fast as she ? No of course he can, by catapulting himself. But being carried sometimes is fun so why not follow the wind ?
Useless that's the worst-case scenario

But still, he's on the lookout though, and also didn't they want to water 7 to find an official shipwright to fix the merry? Cause Usopp didn't do a good job at it that's why they went to water 7.
I don't think Zoro is going to put his foot down about a possible role that he hasn't shown passion for.

I remember Water 7. Don't remember Usopp caring for that role specifically being sought after.

I don't think Zoro is going to put his foot down about a possible role that he hasn't shown a passion for.

I remember Water 7. Don't remember Usopp caring for that role specifically being sought after.
But where did Zoro was saying he doesn't want to be one anymore? Where did it show doesn't he have a passion for it?
Then why did they go to water 7 for?

Pisses me off that the pervert is so devoid of humor and self-awareness that he didn’t even like A2’s post before coming back YET AGAIN to discuss a fictional character he hates in a series he no longer enjoys with real people who actively dislike him, such a miserable cretin…
Wow, such a long sentence :noo:

Thus neglecting the surprise of seeing Carrot on the ship

For what reasons ?

Thus putting her in the position of someones who is losing her trust for others. Destroying completely Carrot characterization as a naive young girl. And destroying a part of her vision of life too early.

For what reason ? For what purpose ? What would it tell about her ?

Thus oblitaring her characterization as a teenager who doesn't ask for autorization to do stuff and act. Therefore destroying also part of her characterization as a reckless young girl who don't like to follow orders. (you know... Exactly what got her defeated in the first place)

Thus oblitaring completely the purpose of having Carrot discovering the real harshness of the sea AT SEA. Neglecting therefore her entire character arc.

That, Oda coud have done yes. But it wouldn't have made Carrot more important. It would have only for effect to enhance the redflag of Pedro. Lowering therefore the surprise of his self sacrifice. Why ? Because describing a bond in a risky mission is a well known trope in war storylines. The trope usually ends up with the mentor figure, dead.

Instead here, only the necessary bonds between Carrot and Pedro was created (a father/daughter relationship on the first half of Whole cake) therefore the surprise was a lot less evident for casual readers.

That's exactly what chapter 888 and 889. It's very complicated to make Carrot do something truly at the prism of Jinbe's job only at the look out post. This is a very passive post. That's why Carrot was introduced not only as a look out, but as a sentinelle too. Making Carrot a sentry.

The first part - the look out - of her job, is depicted in the first half of the chapter with an entire double page. Then this is the sentinelle part of her job that is focused upon during the other part of the chapter.

This can be said because of the omnipresence of the notions of both observation and strategic annihilation.

Carrot seems to be the final strawhat. Oda went OVERBOARD with her shining Nakama action. This is the action - relating to a post - that is the most impressive (with Nami's cyclone prediction) and beautifully crafted. You will understand more of that when I will have created my article on the analysis of both chapter on my blog.

The only thing you need to understand. Is that what you just described. Actually happen. You need to look at it and accept it.

She as one. Gathering supplies and weapon. Role given by Kinemon and Inuarashi.

That would have been a nice addition indeed. Not too destructive for the story in itself. The problem is that Wano is such a compact arc with so many storyline, that craming a storyline about Carrot would have felt like a side track, Wano is not Carrot's story. Plus if we imagine that Oda wants to create a surprise with his final Nakama. This would have neglected the surprise too early. But I like the idea nonetheless.

This is not something that needs to happen in the middle of an arc. This is an end game storyline. BEcause it creates a final choice for the protagonist. I expect this situation to arrive at the very end of Wano, just after the banquet.

Done already.

No more surprise

This is still possible

Thus annihilating the impact of a defeat on her character arc, therefore annihilating her character arcrevolving around the awakening of the awereness of the danger of the sea in a gurl fool of certitude and naivety.

-------------

In the long run. I'm glad Oda is at the helm. Because 95% of what your are proposing would either oblitarate the characterization of Carrot or destroy her character arc.

Oda developped Carrot that way for a purpose. Treating Carrot like usual strawhats wouldn't have worked and/or would neglect the surprise of Carrot sneaking on the ship again, making her therefore the next future strawhat.

When we write. We don't give more importance to a character by making them appear everywhere. We do that by putting them through meaningfull challenges and creating impactfull moment with them.

That's what the Shining moment of Carrot was in 888.
That's what Carrot's moment with Chopper was during whole cake
That's what the lost of Pedro was
That's what Carrot's moment with Sanji was.
That's what this defeat against Perospero was.

Carrot might be in the shadows right now. But despite that. She as always been trated as an important protagonist by Oda.

Call it whatever you want. It's still a special ability that only Carrot is able to do is base form.

Do you want to put Robin in contrast with Usopp before he joined.. just to see if your comparison is relevant at all ?

Just sayin..

Her dynamic and characterization is completely different taht the characterization base that Rebecca and other arc characters are falling into.

Sabo also know Luffy's dream, it doesn't make him a good candidate because of that.

Nah

Oda is implying that here. We have gone through this already: Someone with the capacity of having a light sleep while being on a watch (a rabbit ndlr) is more than an asset for this kind of situation and will permit the strawhat to be well rested.

You case is different. You are not really biased toward Carrot. You are biased against me.
Sabo already has his place. Yamato does not. Stop with your dumb bias, you clearly know Yamato has the biggest chance to join, and your scared of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.