Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thus neglecting the surprise of seeing Carrot on the ship

For what reasons ?

Thus putting her in the position of someones who is losing her trust for others. Destroying completely Carrot characterization as a naive young girl. And destroying a part of her vision of life too early.

For what reason ? For what purpose ? What would it tell about her ?

Thus oblitaring her characterization as a teenager who doesn't ask for autorization to do stuff and act. Therefore destroying also part of her characterization as a reckless young girl who don't like to follow orders. (you know... Exactly what got her defeated in the first place)

Thus oblitaring completely the purpose of having Carrot discovering the real harshness of the sea AT SEA. Neglecting therefore her entire character arc.

That, Oda coud have done yes. But it wouldn't have made Carrot more important. It would have only for effect to enhance the redflag of Pedro. Lowering therefore the surprise of his self sacrifice. Why ? Because describing a bond in a risky mission is a well known trope in war storylines. The trope usually ends up with the mentor figure, dead.

Instead here, only the necessary bonds between Carrot and Pedro was created (a father/daughter relationship on the first half of Whole cake) therefore the surprise was a lot less evident for casual readers.

That's exactly what chapter 888 and 889. It's very complicated to make Carrot do something truly at the prism of Jinbe's job only at the look out post. This is a very passive post. That's why Carrot was introduced not only as a look out, but as a sentinelle too. Making Carrot a sentry.

The first part - the look out - of her job, is depicted in the first half of the chapter with an entire double page. Then this is the sentinelle part of her job that is focused upon during the other part of the chapter.

This can be said because of the omnipresence of the notions of both observation and strategic annihilation.

Carrot seems to be the final strawhat. Oda went OVERBOARD with her shining Nakama action. This is the action - relating to a post - that is the most impressive (with Nami's cyclone prediction) and beautifully crafted. You will understand more of that when I will have created my article on the analysis of both chapter on my blog.

The only thing you need to understand. Is that what you just described. Actually happen. You need to look at it and accept it.

She as one. Gathering supplies and weapon. Role given by Kinemon and Inuarashi.

That would have been a nice addition indeed. Not too destructive for the story in itself. The problem is that Wano is such a compact arc with so many storyline, that craming a storyline about Carrot would have felt like a side track, Wano is not Carrot's story. Plus if we imagine that Oda wants to create a surprise with his final Nakama. This would have neglected the surprise too early. But I like the idea nonetheless.

This is not something that needs to happen in the middle of an arc. This is an end game storyline. BEcause it creates a final choice for the protagonist. I expect this situation to arrive at the very end of Wano, just after the banquet.

Done already.

No more surprise

This is still possible

Thus annihilating the impact of a defeat on her character arc, therefore annihilating her character arcrevolving around the awakening of the awereness of the danger of the sea in a gurl fool of certitude and naivety.

-------------

In the long run. I'm glad Oda is at the helm. Because 95% of what your are proposing would either oblitarate the characterization of Carrot or destroy her character arc.

Oda developped Carrot that way for a purpose. Treating Carrot like usual strawhats wouldn't have worked and/or would neglect the surprise of Carrot sneaking on the ship again, making her therefore the next future strawhat.

When we write. We don't give more importance to a character by making them appear everywhere. We do that by putting them through meaningfull challenges and creating impactfull moment with them.

That's what the Shining moment of Carrot was in 888.
That's what Carrot's moment with Chopper was during whole cake
That's what the lost of Pedro was
That's what Carrot's moment with Sanji was.
That's what this defeat against Perospero was.

Carrot might be in the shadows right now. But despite that. She as always been trated as an important protagonist by Oda.

Call it whatever you want. It's still a special ability that only Carrot is able to do is base form.

Yeah.. pretty much. Carrot is kind of a goof ball. She only think in dire situa.... no.. Scrap that. Carrot almost doesn't think. She only acts, like Luffy. For example I will use the anime as you like it : When Carrot helps Luffy jumps in that filler episode when Zou needs to be patched up.. does it means that Luffy can't go as fast as she ? No of course he can, by catapulting himself. But being carried sometimes is fun so why not follow the wind ?

Do you want to put Robin in contrast with Usopp before he joined.. just to see if your comparison is relevant at all ?

Just sayin..

Her dynamic and characterization is completely different taht the characterization base that Rebecca and other arc characters are falling into.

Sabo also know Luffy's dream, it doesn't make him a good candidate because of that.

Nah

Oda is implying that here. We have gone through this already: Someone with the capacity of having a light sleep while being on a watch (a rabbit ndlr) is more than an asset for this kind of situation and will permit the strawhat to be well rested.

You case is different. You are not really biased toward Carrot. You are biased against me.
I was the only one here who was respectful toward you for the longest time, and I even reached out in PM to offer friendship which you ignored. Don't try and play that card with me of all people. I'm the only one who took you even remotely seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.