Questions & Mysteries Did the last 2 chapters change your view about the Final Villain?

Did the last 2 chapters change your view about the Final Villain of One Piece?

• Yes it did

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • No it didn't

Votes: 55 60.4%
  • Not sure / Undecided

Votes: 20 22.0%

• Total voters
Nice write up, but I thought I'd give my own thoughts

Nah Imu has been my pick for final villain (though Oda could make it BB if he wants). It may be a pirate manga and Blackbeard is a great rival for Luffy but things are turning out to being bigger than just pirates. I understand the Xebec connection but Blackbeard has said he wants to be pirate king and Whitebeard basically tells us that after One Piece is found the war against the WG will come.
I understand that Whitebeard said that the world will be shaken to its core once someone finds the One Piece, but I think that might have a second meaning to it. Rather than the One Piece being so special that its discovery will change the world, couldn't Whitebeard also be saying that anyone who manages to collect all 4 Road Poneglyphs and make it to Laugh Tale has already managed to change the world in doing so? By the time Roger had gotten to Laugh Tale, he had already had a tremendous impact on the world, and Luffy is the same way.

In my opinion, I think Laugh Tale might end up being the final arc of the series. The series is called One Piece, and the main objective has always been the One Piece. Once the main mystery of One Piece is solved, having a 200 chapter war arc after that would feel wrong. To me at least, the One Piece's discovery feels like where the series will end. I'm sure there will be some stuff after that, but I think the Final War will either precede the One Piece's discovery, or the One Piece will be discovered during the war.

The world nobles are the most evil characters in the story and have had the world in shackles, Luffy has been a character of liberation from the beginning and that concept is being reinforced even further now by the Nika reveal(warrior of liberation), he’s destined to carry the weight of generations on his back to change the world for the better.
But are we really looking at a destiny story though? One Piece's main theme is freedom, and Luffy's entire dream is to be the freest person. On the other hand, Blackbeard is meant to contrast Luffy, and he's a fatalist who believes that fate determines all a person is.

How many times have you seen a story where the bad guy's ideology is meant to be the opposite of the hero's, and then the bad guy turned out to be right? Plus we just had Hawkins vs Killer, and the entire point of that fight was that Hawkins lost because he wasn't willing to challenge fate. Having Luffy destroy the World Government because he was destined to do so would basically be proving Blackbeard/Hawkins right, and I don't think that's going to happen. I understand it may seem like we're going down the "Chosen One" route with the Joyboy thing and the Nika reveal, but I don't think it's going to be played straight.

One might say what about Dragon? This is his whole purpose in the story I get it. But we known how side characters get treated, the Strawhats (Luffy especially) always deal w the main threats. The side ppl deal w the sub antagonists
But, we just had Law and Kid defeat one of the main villains of the series. Sure, Big Mom wasn't the main villain of Wano like she was in Wholecake Island, but she's undoubtedly one of the central villains of the series and she's the Yonko who was antagonistic towards Luffy for the longest. And she was defeated by side characters. It's very possible that Imu/Akainu will get the same treatment with Dragon/Sabo.

Now, I wouldn't like Sabo to be the one to defeat Akainu for example, but it's a real possibility given that something very similar just happened.

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
Pure common sense. Final villains = strongest villains. Luffy’s final battle is not going to be a lively debate, it’ll be a punchup. And as the grand finale, the one he’s punching up needs to be the strongest foe he’ll ever face.

And so the two DF using rising power Blackbeard has a huge lead there. Especially over Imu and the Gorosei, who hide behind armies, admirals and assassins.
They are the ones that have enslaved the world for 800 years. What is far and away the biggest crime in the entire series. Everything about their very existence is in complete opposition to who Luffy is and what he stands for.

OP is a story about freedom. And in every single arc we're introduced to an oppressor in some way that obstructs that freedom. The oppressor is defeated, and the enslaved are freed. That's how things have gone for 1045 chapters. It'll be no different now. Rather the very fact that it is the finale means that it's all the more important to nail down hardest on the themes of the story up until that point. Otherwise you get a Naruto situation.

BB represents lawlessness and disorder. Sure, that's bad. But it's not on the level of slavery and oppression.

Let me ask you this. What's the opposite of someone who is free? Someone who is chaotic...or someone who is a slave?
If the World Gov was the biggest foe in existence then Roger would have teamed up with Rocks to take them down.

Instead it’s the other way around. And Blackbeard has inherited the will of Rocks. He’ll become King of the World where Rocks failed, that puts him directly opposite to Luffy and there’s the final battle. God’s Valley is an obvious preview of what the EoS war will be. The current World Gov will be overthrown in the process and the slaves freed.

The Celestial Dragons are vile, the Celestial Dragons are evil, but the Celestial Dragons are also weak. They rule because of history, not any of their own achievements.

The World Government is not the enemy, it’s the Celestial Dragons.

Because there’s good people in it, like Vivi, like the Riku‘s. Same for the Marines, good people like Smoker, Coby, Fujitora. And even among the Celestial Dragons there’s potential for change from the likes of Mjosgard.

So, a meaningless point.
Don't know. Don't care. It's not important.

Themes >∞ power levels
So you literally have no point here. Of course it is about power levels. Luffy is fighting the strongest creature. Next comes Blackbeard, who has the ultimate DF counter and the Tremor fruit on top. Victory here is always tied to beating the opponent in a battle, and Luffy would simply wash those guys. Pretty anti climatic.

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
Total opposite and contradiction always trumps same but different
If that was the case Orochi would be the main villain of Wano and not Kaido.

Orochi is the complete opposite of Luffy, he’s a snivelling, cowardly, weak little rodent who hides behind stronger men, lounges about all day, forces people into slavery and to eat broken devil fruits for his own enjoyment.

He is, pretty obviously, a Celestial Dragon in all but name.

Meanwhile Kaido loves fighting, becomes angry whenever he wins “unfairly”, has a crew devoted to him (Zoro and King swearing the same promise), thought he could be Joy Boy, and a big part of the fight is about how Luffy and him are both having fun fighting.

Who’s the main villain? The strong guy who‘s like Luffy in many ways. Not the pathetic one completely at odds with him. Cause that makes a better fight.

That’s grounds the fight with Kaido has completely covered
Actually no. Not at all. Kaido says the winner will be much closer to the title of PK, not that he will become PK.
If that's what Oda was going for then he would have made the stake of winning the battle of Onigashima about getting your hand on the final missing Poneglyph, but that's obviously not the case. Luffy will only have 3 even if he beats Kaido

no matter what Blackbeard says or does, he will not be the Pirate King, because he is not Joy Boy.
Which has nothing to do with being Pirateking.
Roger wasn't Joy Boy and he is the only Pirateking we know of.

We don’t need another fight against a Yonko crew just to give Nami, Usopp, Chopper and Brook a fair victory.
Actually yes we do. The Straw Hat Pirates becoming a Pirateking lvl crew can't happen if they don't individually all prove themselves to be above BB and his crewmates.

if Blackbeard has a completely different goal from all the other pirates and wanna be Pirate Kings.
Enter Rocks, who wanted to be King of the World instead. That’ll be his aim.
I mean it's very often theorized and that's all nice but Blackbeard himself has already stated he is looking for the ONE PIECE and therefore wants to become Pirateking.

Also none of this is even addressing how Whitebeard said that a war that will happen after the One Piece has been found will shake the entire world and the WG fears that possibility.

According to who?

They are the ones that have enslaved the world for 800 years. What is far and away the biggest crime in the entire series. Everything about their very existence is in complete opposition to who Luffy is and what he stands for.

OP is a story about freedom. And in every single arc we're introduced to an oppressor in some way that obstructs that freedom. The oppressor is defeated, and the enslaved are freed. That's how things have gone for 1045 chapters. It'll be no different now. Rather the very fact that it is the finale means that it's all the more important to nail down hardest on the themes of the story up until that point. Otherwise you get a Naruto situation.

BB represents lawlessness and disorder. Sure, that's bad. But it's not on the level of slavery and oppression.

Let me ask you this. What's the opposite of someone who is free? Someone who is chaotic...or someone who is a slave?
But Luffy and Blackbeard are opposites to one another, just in a way that's different from "Freedom vs Oppression." Both of them embody freedom, but in different and opposite ways. Luffy wants to be the freest person, yes, but he pursues his dream in such a way that respects the freedom of others. Blackbeard on the other hand pursues his dream of becoming King of the Pirates in such a way that sacrifices the freedom of others for his own.

On the surface, Blackbeard and Luffy are the same, but in truth they're polar opposites to each other.
Post automatically merged:

I think the final war will be:

World government, Marines, SSG

Vs

SHs and Grand Fleet, Rev Army, Shanks and allies

Vs

BB Pirates

A three way battle for the glory.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but I think the sympathetic Marine characters like Fujitora, Smoker, Coby, etc will probably be on Luffy's side. After all Roger teamed up with Garp to defeat Xebec.

Last edited:
I think the final war will be:

World government, Marines, SSG

Vs

SHs and Grand Fleet, Rev Army, Shanks and allies

Vs

BB Pirates

A three way battle for the glory.
BB pirates are way way way way too weak to be relevant in that 3 way war.
You need to split up the WG/Marines into 2 factions for there to be a fight and also split up the SHs and Revos efforts

Pure common sense. Final villains = strongest villains. Luffy’s final battle is not going to be a lively debate, it’ll be a punchup. And as the grand finale, the one he’s punching up needs to be the strongest foe he’ll ever face.
The WG are the strongest force. Stronger than BB. If you want Luffy specifically to fight against the strongest person alive for his final match up, then sure. Imu could in fact be that person. We're none the wiser. But it doesn't matter for us. All we need to recognise is that the WG is the end game.
If the World Gov was the biggest foe in existence then Roger would have teamed up with Rocks to take them down.
We have no knowledge of the context of that situation.
Technicalities. The Goroesei are celestial dragons. They run the WG. It's their organisation and they control it in its entirety. Obviously there are factions within it that aren't evil. But that's not what we're talking about here.
Instead it’s the other way around. And Blackbeard has inherited the will of Rocks. He’ll become King of the World where Rocks failed, that puts him directly opposite to Luffy and there’s the final battle. God’s Valley is an obvious preview of what the EoS war will be. The current World Gov will be overthrown in the process and the slaves freed.
The destruction of the WG is a far, far more meaningful event than the defeat of BB. Why put the appetiser after the main dish?
But Luffy and Blackbeard are opposites to one another, just in a way that's different from "Freedom vs Oppression." Both of them embody freedom, but in different and opposite ways. Luffy wants to be the freest person, yes, but he pursues his dream in such a way that respects the freedom of others. Blackbeard on the other hand pursues his dream of becoming King of the Pirates in such a way that sacrifices the freedom of others for his own.

On the surface, Blackbeard and Luffy are the same, but in truth they're polar opposites to each other.
Luffy and BB are two sides of the same coin. Whereas Luffy and the WG are Fire and Ice.

"But BB has the darkness fruit and Luffy is the Sun God!" Sure. But the WG also represents the darkness. A darkness that has lasted for 800 years. The defeat of that darkness is of course more momentous than one that has barely gotten started.

Luffy's gonna bring the dawn to the world. Not bring the dawn then...whoops back to darkness for a few seconds...and then sun again. That would just be clunky.

Luffy and BB are two sides of the same coin. Whereas Luffy and the WG are Fire and Ice.

"But BB has the darkness fruit and Luffy is the Sun God!" Sure. But the WG also represents the darkness. A darkness that has lasted for 800 years. The defeat of that darkness is of course more momentous than one that has barely gotten started.

Luffy's gonna bring the dawn to the world. Not bring the dawn then...whoops back to darkness for a few seconds...and then sun again. That would just be clunky.
Couple issues with this
  1. The World Government is not a bigger evil than what Blackbeard has the potential to be. After all, Roger teamed up with Garp to defeat Xebec. And given the parallels between Luffy/Roger and Teach/Xebec, it's very likely we're getting something similar with Teach.
  2. My guy the World Government's "Island of Justice" is a place where the sun is always shining. The World Government has never had a darkness motif to it. Yes, Imu specifically does fit that motif, but the WG as a whole is not represented by Darkness
  3. The thing you said about how Luffy shouldn't "bring the dawn then...whoops back to darkness for a few seconds...and then sun again" would still be true if Blackbeard gets taken down first.
The World Government will still exist at the end of the series. Yes, Imu/the Celestial Dragons will almost certainly be thrown out of power. But nothing suggests that the World Government as an institution will cease to exist. The most prominent Marines in One Piece (i.e. Smoker, Coby, and Garp) are genuinely good people trying to make justice happen. Coby's dream is to become an Admiral, and that can't happen if the Marines no longer exist. Hell, people like Doffy's parents and that one guy from the Reverie show that there are even good Celestial Dragons (albeit very few). Dragon himself says that the Rev's enemy is the Celestial Dragons, not the World Government itself.

The World Government is probably going to be reformed, not destroyed.

The past two chapters didn't change my opinion on the final villian, if anything it reinforced the idea that it will be Imu.

The world Government being terrified of it to the point where they changed its name, tells me Joyboy was quite troublesome for them with it during the void century. Perhaps it has something to do with him bringing joy to people and forming considerable alliances against the world Government.

As for Blackbeard, I still maintain that it will be a battle of haki against devil fruit. It's easy to forget because of Luffy awakening his fruit, but he has mastered all three forms of haki and has also showcased more abilities of the voice of all things.
The reason I don't think of WG itself as the main villain is because of what revos are doing too...they are not trying to remove WG but change it. Many times it's been hinted that WG doesn't want trouble and is trying to keep others from knowing about some kind of stuff that will cause trouble. I felt it that way the first time with Ohara(when talking with professor clover to be precise) it felt more like they wished they could have lived their life as is without trying to dig too much and also showed a bit of regret(or disappointment in taking the decision to kill him/them).
It is possible Imu could be a final villain. If so he would be a singular main villain maybe with OP powers. I still think WG just has a different set of idealogy and something to hide in the past to avoid the balance of the world being toppled. And this joyboy/Nika stuff is something that will cause chaos in the world. when you actually think about it the most important players to be playing against WG as a villain are dragon and revos not Luffy/PK stuff.
For that reason I believe what Luffy/One piece final goal connected with will be some kind of event instead. Like in naruto we can say Obito was a villain but the main event to be stopped was the Juubi/Infinite Tsukuyomi.

1. The World Government is not a bigger evil than what Blackbeard has the potential to be. After all, Roger teamed up with Garp to defeat Xebec. And given the parallels between Luffy/Roger and Teach/Xebec, it's very likely we're getting something similar with Teach.
Ok. But for that to happen, BB would need to become Pirate King. Take down the WG. And bring about an age of complete chaos in order for Luffy defeating him to hold the meaning that defeating the WG would. Honestly, that could be pretty interesting. But it's highly unlikely. Even if BB's reign only lasted for like 2 years and we had a timeskip. Those 2 years of pure anarchy, still wouldn't compare to the impact of 800 years of slavery. But at least that would be something.
  1. My guy the World Government's "Island of Justice" is a place where the sun is always shining. The World Government has never had a darkness motif to it. Yes, Imu specifically does fit that motif, but the WG as a whole is not represented by Darkness
Lmfao. Are you trolling? The eternally sunny Enies Lobby is just a repeat of the recurring theme of false happiness throughout OP. It's the same as the seemingly friendly toys at Dressrosa. The angels and clouds at Skypeia. The homies and sweets at WCI. The travelator at Mariejois.

The WG has been repeatedly portrayed as darkness throughout the series. That's what the entire "dawn of the world" is all about. Freedom of the world from the darkness of the WG.
  1. The thing you said about how Luffy shouldn't "bring the dawn then...whoops back to darkness for a few seconds...and then sun again" would still be true if Blackbeard gets taken down first.
No it wouldn't. It would be removing BB from the picture and ensuring he can never grow to become the full threat he has the potential to become. The world is already in long night, so Luffy facing BB now wouldn't matter.
The World Government will still exist at the end of the series. Yes, Imu/the Celestial Dragons will almost certainly be thrown out of power. But nothing suggests that the World Government as an institution will cease to exist.
No it won't. It's absolutely 100% guaranteed to be destroyed. It was founded on something so devastating that the WG had to hide the origins of their rise to power. An evil entity from its very conception. It will be destroyed entirely and replaced with something new. The good marines will leave WG and help set it up.
The World Government is probably going to be reformed, not destroyed.
No, it's going to be replaced. Reform has never been the way to go. They didn't "reform" Drum Kingdom. They changed the name entirely to Sakura Kingdom and started again from scratch. That's another consistent theme throughout the story.
Post automatically merged:

Honestly, just watch these videos. Morj did a great job.

After watching, I don't know how there can be anyway one could come away still thinking that the WG isn't the final antagonistic force.

And so the two DF using rising power Blackbeard has a huge lead there. Especially over Imu and the Gorosei, who hide behind armies, admirals and assassins.

The Celestial Dragons are vile, the Celestial Dragons are evil, but the Celestial Dragons are also weak. They rule because of history, not any of their own achievements.

Because there’s good people in it, like Vivi, like the Riku‘s. Same for the Marines, good people like Smoker, Coby, Fujitora. And even among the Celestial Dragons there’s potential for change from the likes of Mjosgard.
One thing that supports your theory is the number of road ponegylphs Luffy has. After Wano it will be 3.

Blackbeard on the other hand has 0 presumably. Nor does he even have a Nico Robin like figure lol.

Damn how will BB be the fight for PK when he isn't even in the running?