The Zoro and Sanji Truce Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems some people dont understand the difference between character development and hypocrisy.
Sanji was introduced as someone who didnt really have strong resolve in his dream. Jeff lost his leg for HIS dream. HE felt he owed Zeff his life but he needed a push by Zeff to go. Otherwise he would have continued to find excuses to stay at the Baratie. The reason he tells Zoro to give up on his dream is because at the time, it makes no sense to die for some fantasy dream.

Oda actually basically calls back to this when Zoro is going to sacrifice himself for Luffy. He says "what about your dream?" At this point he gets it. He understand the desire to die for what you care about. He was willing to die so Zoro to keep going. If anything, his flaw is his undervaluing of himself. He tells Zoro that they have to find "another cook".

So no, Sanji isnt a hypocrite and it makes zero sense for this to be the reason he's your least favorite when he explicitly changes and grows from that arc as evident here.

Post automatically merged:

Anyway, there isnt a strawhat that I dont love, both these characters are great. I'm seeing alot of "Post TS trash" talk and I dont get it. Sanji had a great character arc in WCI where his resolve was tested. Did he change? No, but the purpose of the arc was to test Sanji's morals and values. We saw a side of Sanji we really hadn't seen. Zoro while not as narratively critical is still great. Anyone saying he's just an edgy badass now should reread Dressrosa. He's still the same braindead guy who thought it was a good idea to use his swords on the bubble for the Sunny that we all love. Kinda sad that we need truce threads to appreciate two great characters.

Last edited:

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
It seems some people dont understand the difference between character development and hypocrisy.
Sanji was introduced as someone who didnt really have strong resolve in his dream. Jeff lost his leg for HIS dream. HE felt he owed Zeff his life but he needed a push by Zeff to go. Otherwise he would have continued to find excuses to stay at the Baratie. The reason he tells Zoro to give up on his dream is because at the time, it makes no sense to die for some fantasy dream.

Oda actually basically calls back to this when Zoro is going to sacrifice himself for Luffy. He says "what about your dream?" At this point he gets it. He understand the desire to die for what you care about. He was willing to die so Zoro to keep going. If anything, his flaw is his undervaluing of himself. He tells Zoro that they have to find "another cook".

So no, Sanji isnt a hypocrite and it makes zero sense for this to be the reason he's your least favorite when he explicitly changes and grows from that arc as evident here.

Anyway, there isnt a strawhat that I dont love, both these characters are great. I'm seeing alot of "Post TS trash" talk and I dont get it. Sanji had a great character arc in WCI where his resolve was tested. Did he change? No, but the purpose of the arc was to test Sanji's morals and values. We saw a side of Sanji we really hadn't seen. Zoro while not as narratively critical is still great. Anyone saying he's just an edgy badass now should reread Dressrosa. He's still the same braindead guy who thought it was a good idea to use his swords on the bubble for the Sunny that we all love. Kinda sad that we need truce threads to appreciate two great characters.
Great breakdown, this is exactly why i thought of creating this thread.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman

The issue is that like you said sanji was undervaluing himself. Whilst zoro gave his head as someone of equal worth to kuma.
It is a valid criticism.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
There shouldn't be a need for a truce thread, but alas, these are our times.

Anyway, OT, Zoro's callousness during Zou over Sanji's dilemma wasn't him not caring. Part of it was his pragmatism over the situation. They didn't want to risk another Emperor going to war on them (Pfft, all the good that was). The second was him having faith in Sanji's abilities to resolve the situation. Luffy was more overt about the latter sentiment, but Zoro felt the same way, just hid it from the others.

Likewise, Sanji trusts Zoro just as well to handle things. Sanji left the safety of a woman (Tashigi) in Zoro's hands, when normally he wants to be the one to look after them. Sanji even alluding Zoro might have a soft spot for Tashigi when the G-5 soldiers were worried about Zoro harming her ontop of Monet due to his ruthless reputation.

These two scenarios illustrate the trust and understanding the two have for eachother. There's this idea the two fight because they can't understand one another when I'd say it's the exact opposite. At least as of recently.

However, things dramatically changed during/after WCI. People used to shit on Sanji and his fans with every opportunity every week. It was not only related to powerlevel; bad opinions and overreactions like "Oda ruined Sanji's character as a whole" also became very popular.
That was so fucking stupid. In retrospect, WCI wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

these were really powerful moments imo and I am glad Oda chose to go this route with sanji rather than have him beat the shit out of judge. WCI was never about Sanji's strength, in terms of strength, Oda portrayed that sanji was stronger than all the vin smokes(or at least he would be once he got his raid suit) by the fact that whenever Sanji clashed with them, the vin smokes only got the upper hand by manipulating Sanji's emotions.

also just because Sanji didn't kick a mountain in half like zoro doesn't mean he had bad feats. He was still pretty impressive imo:
  • blitzed Oven
  • clashed on par with daifuku's giant genie using only base kicks
  • was on par with Judge(who was on par with Snack) despite not having a RS
  • beat raisin
If you look at things without the lens of Z vs S, he actually did alright. Not everything Sanji does needs to be compared to Zoro. Zoro is a fighter before anything else, when its Zoro's time to shine, Oda makes him do something ungodly badass. While Sanji can do badass things, I don't think that was ever supposed to be the main part of his character.

MonsterZoro

Bald Spoiler Provider
One thing i can say is that I know for a fact that this arc will be the best in one piece because Sanji and Zoro will do so many badass moments and their fight will be good. Unlike Luffy who always has some bullshit every fight since time skip, getting really tired of his shit. The only reason i read one piece is because of Zoro and Sanji rivalary. No one actually cares about Luffy....

Status
Not open for further replies.