Chapter Discussion ONE PIECE CHAPTER 979: FAMILY TROUBLE

rate:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oda refuses to kill any friend or ally of the Straw Hats outside of flashbacks with only too few exceptions.
Biggest tell is always if a character receives a mortal wound or not on screen or physically dies and you get a panel with their dead body. Named characters like this in the present are only:

- Whitebeard
- Ace
- Yasue

Thats pretty much it. Pell, Pagaya, Franky Family/Oimo/Kaashi/Shipwrights, Pound, Peckoms, Pedro, Vergo and Monet all have "died" offscreen or in an explosion. As we know, everyone there save for Peckoms, Pedro, Vergo and Monet have been confirmed to live. Peckoms is likely alive due and I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the ship with Pound (he has history with Bege) considering they both were on the same island. Monet and Vergo are likely dead since their arcs ended forever ago and are irrelevant now, though who knows. Pedro is still up in the air until this arc finishes.

I like to think that Yamato is a foil to Momonosuke, with both of them being kids and considered by many to be unworthy heirs of their fathers but in different ways. Momo because he isn't prodigy like Oden was while Yamato may be as strong as his father was as a child and so very promising but without his father's cruelty, ambition and martial mind.

That would make it even more interesting if they become friends.
We will see, if Kaido's intention is to marry is adolescent son to BM's crew, I feel like its pretty inappropriate for a shonen. If he's older it makes sense. Granted, thats if that is the news with Yamato.

A few things I thought were interesting in this chapter were:
1. Yamato
Maria referred to him as "bocchan" which very much implies that he's a young child so I don't think we're gonna be seeing the all powerful Ace that a lot of folks (me included) thought we were gonna be seeing and frankly speaking, adding an extra high tier potentially stronger than even the calamities woulda been a bit overkill for the alliance. That said, I thought it was interesting that Maria said the task of bringing back Yamato back would be difficult one. I reckon Yamato either has a pretty dangerous ability (poison maybe?) or a tricky one or maybe the dude is rapid...lolz. Also we see a silhouette of someone watching Robin & Jinbe when the others departed this chapter, so what are the chances that that silhouette was actually Yamato..lolz. Lastly, Kaidou said there was gonna be a big announcement during the golden kagura and then it was implied that this had sumin to do with Yamato, so the first ting that comes to mind is that Kaidou intends to marry Yamato off to one of of Lilin's kids. Considering Yamato is implied to be a young child, my guess for suitor would be Flampe given her age. I won't be at all surprised if a potentially wedding or the likes was the reason Yamato bailed in the first place...lolz

2. Fukurokuju (ma boi~!:steef:)
Swear down, Fukurokuju has gotta to be one of the most underrated characters in this arc, which is sad given he's most definitely the strongest Ninja on Wano, the same wano that has continually been hyped up to have very powerful warriors and has produced the likes of Ashuradouji/Inu/Neko etc. but I'm glad Oda is explicitly putting respek on his name so hopefully the perspective of the community on his character has changed after this chapter . I will say though, that even though I expected Fukurokju to be considerably strong, I didn't expect him to be singled out of all of Orochi's subordinates and even more so to be mentioned in the same breathe with the calamities, so I'm excited to see what he can do~! ^^. He gives off a bit of an enel vibe with his head and is also a Ninja so I'm thinking we are gonna be seeing some pretty dope CoO feats from him. Wano has already shown us some pretty interesting applications of CoA so hopefully we get the same with CoO as well ^^.

3. The Tobi Roppo
Almost forgot to highlight this given we got spoilers on them very early on during our last break...lolz but we get to know this chapter that the Tobi Roppo are all ex. pirate captains, which is pretty dope:steef: . Or at the very least that's why I gathered from reading the raws. Another translation had only Who's Who and Sasaki as ex. captains so I guess we'd have to wait and see how viz translates that bit ^^. Will go with my own interpretation of tings for the time being tho :p. But yh the Tobi Roppo all being ex. captains is pretty dope and the fact that they are actively looking to take the all stars spots is hype~!. This particular dynamic with Kaidou's crew is something I don't think we've seen with any of the crews so far in the series IIRC and it makes the beast pirates very interesting. The All stars constantly have their seats targeted by the Tobi Roppo so they can't afford to slack off and have to actively get stronger. Then there's the Tobi Roppo who will be constantly looking to improve themselves to take down the All Stars putting them in a very interesting position power scaling wise ^^. It's even more interesting when you consider the fact that they don't fit in with the card deck theme Oda has going on with the beast pirates potentially signifying that they are "outliers" of sorts. And once again the notion that the Beast Pirates are directly equivalent to the Big Mom pirates takes another hit...lolz...Excited to see what these dudes and the calamities who don't see bothered about their challengers are capable off ^^.

4. Bao Huang
Not sure why but I took a liking to her character the moment she was introduced. Her design is dope~! and she gives off a lot more presence than the majority of the Shinuchi that have been introduced so far so I'm lowkey excited to see what she can do. She's said to be a flying squirrel smile of sorts so I'm thinking she dukes it out against our 11th straw hat carrot :p or is it 10th ^^" (Y'all better believe Carrot is joining lolz)

Only ting I thought was rubbish this chapter was pound surviving. Don't get me wrong I like pound's character and stuff but it just doesn't make any sense for him to have survived. I get that author's do sometimes try to mislead leaders to surprise them and stuff which is cuul, but can't help but feel that Oda is taking the piss at this point. It just feels like lazy writing to me.

Sucks that we have a break next week but it's what it is with the Corona ting going around ^^". Corona Virus cases have been steadily reducing here in Japan over the last few days so hopefully tings get a lot better soon ^^.

ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS
Yeah I think rocks is alive and we’ll see him in wano

Tbh I don't see Xebec being alive and being an antagonist in the present, the only way he could return would be as an undead à-la-Davy Jones or Salazar due to a curse.

A few things I thought were interesting in this chapter were:
1. Yamato
Maria referred to him as "bocchan" which very much implies that he's a young child so I don't think we're gonna be seeing the all powerful Ace that a lot of folks (me included) thought we were gonna be seeing and frankly speaking, adding an extra high tier potentially stronger than even the calamities woulda been a bit overkill for the alliance. That said, I thought it was interesting that Maria said the task of bringing back Yamato back would be difficult one. I reckon Yamato either has a pretty dangerous ability (poison maybe?) or a tricky one or maybe the dude is rapid...lolz. Also we see a silhouette of someone watching Robin & Jinbe when the others departed this chapter, so what are the chances that that silhouette was actually Yamato..lolz. Lastly, Kaidou said there was gonna be a big announcement during the golden kagura and then it was implied that this had sumin to do with Yamato, so the first ting that comes to mind is that Kaidou intends to marry Yamato off to one of of Lilin's kids. Considering Yamato is implied to be a young child, my guess for suitor would be Flampe given her age. I won't be at all surprised if a potentially wedding or the likes was the reason Yamato bailed in the first place...lolz

2. Fukurokuju (ma boi~!:steef:)
Swear down, Fukurokuju has gotta to be one of the most underrated characters in this arc, which is sad given he's most definitely the strongest Ninja on Wano, the same wano that has continually been hyped up to have very powerful warriors and has produced the likes of Ashuradouji/Inu/Neko etc. but I'm glad Oda is explicitly putting respek on his name so hopefully the perspective of the community on his character has changed after this chapter . I will say though, that even though I expected Fukurokju to be considerably strong, I didn't expect him to be singled out of all of Orochi's subordinates and even more so to be mentioned in the same breathe with the calamities, so I'm excited to see what he can do~! ^^. He gives off a bit of an enel vibe with his head and is also a Ninja so I'm thinking we are gonna be seeing some pretty dope CoO feats from him. Wano has already shown us some pretty interesting applications of CoA so hopefully we get the same with CoO as well ^^.
A few things:

- Black Maria calls Ulti, "Ully", indicating that she makes nicknames for people younger than her/who she deems "cute". Its possible she is using "Bocchan" this way about Yamato. It really depends on how much older Black Maria is compared to Yamato and if she tends to give "cute" nicknames to people.

- Yamato being the Ace or not does not remove the idea that an Ace still exists. The value is still peculiarly missing from Kaido's current crew rankings, and he is "Governer General", showing that there is a gap between him and King. If the Numbers appear and there is no "1" number, then it makes it even more peculiar.

- I'm personally surprised the leader of the Mimiwarigumi didn't get namedropped with Fukurokuju, he seems to be just as prominent. Both groups were established as the Samurai and Ninja guards for Orochi last chapter, but only Fukurokuju is mentioned. Maybe he still will and Oda left the dialogue out on purpose.

Did Luffy really say "He doesn't even know anything about Oden"? Big yikes:whitepress:
He's getting pissed that Kid ran ahead when he doesn't know anything about the story with Oden.

Tbh I don't see Xebec being alive and being an antagonist in the present, the only way he could return would be as an undead à-la-Davy Jones or Salazar due to a curse.
God that would be great if something like this existed. We know Davy Jones existed at one point due to Fishman Island, it would be awesome if they could use the "locker" at some point.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
A few things:

- Black Maria calls Ulti, "Ully", indicating that she makes nicknames for people younger than her/who she deems "cute". Its possible she is using "Bocchan" this way about Yamato. It really depends on how much older Black Maria is compared to Yamato and if she tends to give "cute" nicknames to people.

- Yamato being the Ace or not does not remove the idea that an Ace still exists. The value is still peculiarly missing from Kaido's current crew rankings, and he is "Governer General", showing that there is a gap between him and King. If the Numbers appear and there is no "1" number, then it makes it even more peculiar.

- I'm personally surprised the leader of the Mimiwarigumi didn't get namedropped with Fukurokuju, he seems to be just as prominent. Both groups were established as the Samurai and Ninja guards for Orochi last chapter, but only Fukurokuju is mentioned. Maybe he still will and Oda left the dialogue out on purpose.

He's getting pissed that Kid ran ahead when he doesn't know anything about the story with Oden.
Who cares. Not everyone must be Hero every big arc and save the citizens. Kidd involvement in this war will be a relief because he is the only character that won't brag about avenging Oden thank god.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Then the Kuja Pirates would be integrated into the Beasts Pirates (like Hawkins's and Apoo's crew).
Well yes, but actually no. She could have her crew and ship destroyed but All-stars or Kaido or whoever wrecked her might saw potential in her and offered a position in Beast Pirates crew if she abandons her former Kingdom/Pirate crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.