Chapter Discussion ONE PIECE CHAPTER 979: FAMILY TROUBLE

rate:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Not gonna mention the Pound thing. It’s not worth a comment.

Rest of the chapter is merely setting up the players. Kin and Denjiro have taken the west and east ends where they will likely remain the most discreet of the land forces.

The Kid Pirates, Luffy, and Zoro going off ahead means we will see some meaty involvements on their part. The end of the chapter clearly hinting at Luffy causing a scene, but I think our expectations will be subverted. Either Luffy keeps his cool or he meets someone who’ll calm him down. It just seems to early for things to start going crazy.

I’ve no clue where Zoro will go or who he’ll meet, but I’d prefer if it weren’t just setting up some fight with a F6. Nah, whatever’s in store for Zoro likely be more special than some warm up fight. The fox statues at the entrance of Onigashima have me thinking Onimaru could make an appearance. The start of a live/hate relationship between the fox and Zoro. The bridge fights between them were clear nods to Benkei vs Yoshitsune. Their bouts typically followed up with Benkei becoming Yoshitsune’s trusted retainer.

The most intriguing part of the chapter was whoever was behind Robin and Jinbe. I can’t immediately tell who it might be, as they could range from ally-to neutral-to enemy.

Jinbe’s interactions with the younger crew members was funny. He clearly has to get use to Luffy’s recklessness and Zoro’s directional challenge.

But all in all, I did enjoy the back and forth this chapter among the Strawhats. It feels refreshing after all the time they’ve been separated or under used.

I’m probably alone on this one, but the F6 outside Drake just aren’t doing it for me. They seem set up for failure, and this whole hide and seek game screams gag. And when I see them side by side against the All stars, it drives home how unimpressive they are by comparison. I’m personally more interested in the Numbers at this point.

The chapter was decent, but the breaks make its set up feel slower. Oh well, that’s just the way things are.

I don't think that's how that word works, but we'll see in a few chapters ^^.

I meant that either Yamato is super young, indicating that she's saying "Bocchan" because that's how its normally used right? If he's not that young, its Black Maria saying it in a "cute" way if you get what I mean (due to her personality).

Forgive me, my N5/N4 level Japanese is not good at all, still learning.

Anyway, I agree about the Ace thing. I can see Yamato being called the Ace possibly if Oda decides to use him like the Ace card can be used in many different games:

- Either the weakest card in classic games historically
- Or the strongest card in more modern games
- Both in Poker, Blackjack, Rummy

Its possible Yamato is Kaido's "Ace in the hole", meaning that when he's serious he's above the Calamities, but he's too unreliable to be an All-Star himself because of this, and therefore sometimes weaker than even the Numbers/Tobi Roppo. Something about the Tobi Roppo mentioning about bringing him in "peacefully" has been getting me thinking about that, where it may be easier to bring him in non-violently. Violently it would become a problem. Anyway, dumb theory for now until we find out who he is as a person.

It is odd if Oda did forget about that one Beasts Pirate member from Punk Hazard discussing Jack over the monitor. He hasn't really had a throwaway design yet (even as a silhouette, and I can't see any current BP member being that character)

Last edited:
P

PeperLevi

This chapter proofs how i'm right in say Sanji is overrated.
First Sanji fails in make his words of dispose Page One definitely before the war reality,and now is revealed how Kaido himself recognize in Page One and the others of his group,the power for bring his son for the party and even surpass his current commanders. Would Sanji ever get such recognition from Kaido if he was a member of Beasts Pirates? But Kaido would ever accept Sanji in his crew for start? Not even Doflamingo,one of the biggest powerhouses of One Piece Universe and who make trash of big part of the remaining characters,including Sanji,has the approval of Kaido's power judgement.

First Sanji fails in make his words of dispose Page One definitely before the war reality,and now is revealed how Kaido himself recognize in Page One and the others of his group,the power for bring his son for the party and even surpass his current commanders. Would Sanji ever get such recognition from Kaido if he was a member of Beasts Pirates? But Kaido would ever accept Sanji in his crew for start? Not even Doflamingo,one of the biggest powerhouses of One Piece Universe and who make trash of big part of the remaining characters,including Sanji,has the approval of Kaido's power judgement.
How do you feel about Chopper vs Yamato?

Future King of Beasts vs the son of the current King of Beasts

The only strong support for Sanji being overrated (I assume you're saying in terms of strength, correct me if I'm wrong) will come if he doesn't end up defeating Queen. Any other "clue" is virtually irrelevant.

P

PeperLevi

The only strong support for Sanji being overrated (I assume you're saying in terms of strength, correct me if I'm wrong) will come if he doesn't end up defeating Queen. Any other "clue" is virtually irrelevant.
Sanji is overrated in both terms of power and terms of character.
What more other support we need for say Sanji is overrated and won't defeat any commander beyond his performance in New World being extremely lame compared to the performances of Luffy and Zoro?

Sorry but average chapter once again. FFS when we will get into buisness? I can spoil the next chapter for you: Luffy starts to rampage on Fodders because he can't follow a plan for once in his life. Fodder turns on emergency alarm. Alliance plans starts to fall apart the end. We are left for two weeks with only two interesting things: Robin's outfit and King's badass look. Literally nothing happened. Oh we found out that Kaido has a manager who is a f'ing flying squirrel wow top tier plot.

I bet everyone who voted for: Great are the same people who voted "blew my mind" when Sanji fought Pay pay. :whitepress:
This time Luffy and Kid ruining the plan is the Plan.

Sanji is overrated in both terms of power and terms of character.
What more other support we need for say Sanji is overrated and won't defeat any commander beyond his performance in New World being extremely lame compared to the performances of Luffy and Zoro?
If you asked to every single One Piece reader "Sanji is stronger than Jack with the RS?" , the best Sanji performance would be something like "Yes, but it would an high diff fight", and only a few would say that. If they are not trolls of course.

If you asked the same about Enma Zoro, many would say Zoro mid diffs Jack while using santoryu. And they wouldn't be joking

Sanji didn't have a 1 vs 1 on panel in the NW and any single Sanji fan suffers for this because we like to see him fight but his feats speaks for themselves, for those who wants to listen of course.
Zoro almost going all out needed Orlumbus to take Pica by surprise and fainted against someone even weaker than Pica :lusalty:

If you think that with the RS he will go from blocking Daifuku without DJ, hitting Oven without being seen, dodging Katakuri's shot ot hold his own with Luffy against Big Mom for a moment to fight Page One or another -at best- veteran level fighter you are the one underestimating him.

Status
Not open for further replies.