ONE PIECE Live Action - Episodes Discussion Thread

Kagu Nyan

✨✨✨Hibernation mode on 🎵 ✨✨✨
‎
I must have forgot but didn't Zoro say out the name of a single of his attacks in the early days? 🤔

Luffy and Sanji has twice said the same line to him about named attacks.

I know that he refused the admiral promotion but here he claims to have refused the fleet admiral spot many times.
He doesn’t claim that. He says “I could have been fleet admiral by now but I always refused their promotions”. Meaning if he had accepted he could have become over time fleet admiral. Which is correct, had he been an admiral. Garp would have become fleet admiral and not Sengoku.

I just finished the first 2 episodes and it's good so far. I had low expectations going into it but I'm surprised I can't find my faults, except ofc it not being 100% faithful to the source material but that's just in the realm of impossible with just an 8 episodes season.

Anyway, like always with live adaptations it could have been better but it's very enjoyable nonetheless.

Finally found time to watch the first episode.
Zoro's scene in Shell's Town carries the first episode.
Roger's execution and monologue should have been done better - bigger scale, add more flavor and pizaz to Roger's character while keeping him as some sort of half man half legend
Luffy vs Alvida was also a dud, and not for the CGI. Everybody's acting there was really 6th grade drama class level. Too bad to see stuff like that in the hook episode

After rewatching the entire thing in English, it was way more fun. I initially watched it in Japanese dub for Nostalgic reasons of the OG voice of Luffy, but have to admit the lip sync wasn't perfect. Sure, if you don't pay too much attention to it and look for background stuff and Easter eggs, it still works fine.

What surprised me was the brutality and blood shown, cutting people down, especially with Zoro. If Oda sees that people like it, he might let characters go more often in the manga and not keep every single one alive and take out the tension, but that's just wishful thinking on my End.

Liked the fight Scenes overall. The OST's were great. But you really wonder where all the budget went. At the End, having an amazing set that pleases the Eyes but everything else like character costumes or the CGI in some parts falters in contrast to it, feels like there is room for improvement.

Now keep in mind this is my personal opinion, I have yet to hear from people who never watched or read one piece before.

I give this whole thing a 8/10 (but only because usopp and kaya kissed)
:blush:

If it weren't for that, a solid 6/10. And that's fine, if they get to Go for a second season, they will have plenty of critiques from the previous one and time to improve things. And I believe that's what they were aiming for with these very first badges of Episodes.

I wish everyone that worked on this further success and can't wait to see further Castings for some Characters yet to appear.

:steef:

Episode 2 & 3 down:
Things I felt off:
  1. Shanks and Higuma talk regarding hurting friends.
  2. Beckmann alone not fighting off those bandits, it showed that RHS were on their league of own.
  3. Shanks and Luffy relationship like Shanks constantly teasing Luffy, it should’ve been added. Really showed the bonds between them.
  4. No Ritchie
Things I like:
  1. Nami’s betrayal was done justice
  2. Buggy’s angle was shown different but still captured his core character. His into was perfect with missed spotlight.
  3. Usopp actor is doing it justice, his elaboration of his work was exactly how Usopp would do to his.
  4. They’ve really been building Garp’s character. It’s gonna be so fun when they reveal that outside that demeaning figure is loving/ caring grand father. In the manga his hype ended sooner as he was almost immediately revealed as Luffy’s Grandfather and it was all good. This show shows that a great marine is after our MC and genuinely strikes fear to the new Audience imo.
  5. More Bogard
Also marines are here at Syrup…:kaidowhat:gonna check rest of it out before giving my opinions on it.

Finally found time to watch the first episode.
Zoro's scene in Shell's Town carries the first episode.
Roger's execution and monologue should have been done better - bigger scale, add more flavor and pizaz to Roger's character while keeping him as some sort of half man half legend
Luffy vs Alvida was also a dud, and not for the CGI. Everybody's acting there was really 6th grade drama class level. Too bad to see stuff like that in the hook episode
Zoro/Mackenyu’s fights scenes hard carry the show and it would be like a 4/10 without them

Of course the cast and crew would join the cringe Hollywood strike... "We make more money than you ever will in your entire lifetime, but we deserve more money than that! How else are we going to afford luxury apartments in LA and Starbucks every day?!"
That's not what a strike is about🙄
Post automatically merged:

But the strike in general is some of the most privileged whiny bullshit I have ever seen. These people make more money than most people the country will in their entire life, and they think they deserve more for making mediocre products in recent years.
A few months ago the train/public transport staff in my country went on strike. Will you tell them ''you have no right to demand better pay, be grateful that you have a job at all and btw people from other countries are even poorer than you so stop being whiny little bitches''?

Third episode in.

Above average I'd say. Best part is Usopp for sure and Kuro was good, very menacing like.

Three things irked me though, the camera work for some scenes is just weird if not downright bad, Zoro looks like he's following Luffy against his will, having a disinterest face and attitude the whole time, just relax man, and wft are we still following, I don't if he's boy or a girl, Koby's story of all things.

While the first and second were 8.5 imo, I'll give this episode a 6/10.

Episode 2:
Buggy is AMAZING! The idea to use the captured citizens as an audience, and then the cue cards - A+.
Coby is as annoying in the LA as he is in the anime/manga
Shanks losing his arm and the haki scene were bad. Idk why they didn't follow the manga here and have him lose the arm in the water, when we already had higuma and Luffy in there. The blood from the lost arm would have added a great touch there as well.
And the haki felt more like mind control here, at least for me. Some sort of visual and/or audio distrotion would have worked better.

Kid Luffy was really bad in that scene as well, but that's kid actors - either amazing or mid, no inbetween.

A bit sad we didn't get ChouChou, just a cameo ig

Episode 2:
Buggy is AMAZING! The idea to use the captured citizens as an audience, and then the cue cards - A+.
Coby is as annoying in the LA as he is in the anime/manga
Shanks losing his arm and the haki scene were bad. Idk why they didn't follow the manga here and have him lose the arm in the water, when we already had higuma and Luffy in there. The blood from the lost arm would have added a great touch there as well.
And the haki felt more like mind control here, at least for me. Some sort of visual and/or audio distrotion would have worked better.

Kid Luffy was really bad in that scene as well, but that's kid actors - either amazing or mid, no inbetween.

A bit sad we didn't get ChouChou, just a cameo ig
Did you read my mind while writing this?
:cheers:

I must have forgot but didn't Zoro say out the name of a single of his attacks in the early days? 🤔

Luffy and Sanji has twice said the same line to him about named attacks.
Must be an inside joke. Mackenyu clearly is acting different from the anime / manga Zoro. Too smart for Zoro role.

Probably he refused to name his attacks and the others are making a joke about it.

Finished fourth episode.

Better than the last for sure. Zoro's flashback was good. It was a bit short for my taste but there was heart put into it so it was fine for me. I was scared there for a minute though that the sensei, forgot his name, was going to say Kuina fell down some stairs. It would have made for a good laugh, to me at least, but it would have been out of place in that serious situation. I felt that way anyway.

Kuro was meh. A bit too theatrical in a supposedly assassination attempt.

Something surprised me though. I never thought I'd ever like Buchi and Sham in the LA. I found them annoying in the manga/anime but they were surprising funny in these two episodes of the LA LoL.

This episode is a 7.5 for me.