Versus Battle Is Pain vs Itachi a debate?

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
Sasuke's Rinnegan isn't your run of the mill Rinnegan, it has tomoe and explicitly allows him to use his Sharingan abilities.

Why are you comparing Pain's budget Rinnegan to this? It makes no sense...we clearly see in the manga that Pain can't do anything Sharingan related.
Lol, I didn't say both Rinnegans are the same. I simply said Rinnegan can oppose ocular Genjutsu, which is what Sasuke says—he terms it an ability of Rinnegan. No one said opposing Genjutsu is a Sharingan-exclusive ability for us to think Rinnegan can only oppose a Genjustu if it inherited it from the Sharingan, so I don't see why you keep going back to Rinnegan can't do everything that a Sharingan can argument.

Lol, I didn't say both Rinnegans are the same. I simply said Rinnegan can oppose ocular Genjutsu, which is what Sasuke says—he terms it an ability of Rinnegan. No one said opposing Genjutsu is a Sharingan-exclusive ability for us to think Rinnegan can only oppose a Genjustu if it inherited it from the Sharingan, so I don't see why you keep going back to Rinnegan can't do everything that a Sharingan can argument.
Sasuke's Rinnegan can, yes, Sasuke's, not Pain's budget one, if it was a Rinnegan trait in general then Black Zetsu wouldn't have been surprised when Sasuke did it.

Seeing through Genjutsu is explicitly a Sharingan ability, that's fact which I posted, nowhere is it ever said that all Rinnegan can see through Genjutsu, you're using a singular example of Sasuke's vastly superior and unique Rinnegan and trying to apply it to Pain's vastly inferior and rudimentary Rinnegan, a Rinnegan which we already know cannot do Sharingan related things.

You're still as obstinate as ever I see, refusing to concede even when you have no evidence whatsoever, it's sad.

it’s a very real debate

Is it?
Itachi's genjutsu most likely wont work on well trained rinnegan
the rinnegan has never shown the aptitude for genjutsu
Post automatically merged:

Sasuke clearly meant his own rinnegan which like SkySanji has said is very different than your run of the mill Rinnegan.

Madara had to switch between the MS and Rinnegan to use genjutsu ffs

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
Sasuke's Rinnegan can, yes, Sasuke's, not Pain's budget one, if it was a Rinnegan trait in general then Black Zetsu wouldn't have been surprised when Sasuke did it.

Seeing through Genjutsu is explicitly a Sharingan ability, that's fact which I posted, nowhere is it ever said that all Rinnegan can see through Genjutsu, you're using a singular example of Sasuke's vastly superior and unique Rinnegan and trying to apply it to Pain's vastly inferior and rudimentary Rinnegan, a Rinnegan which we already know cannot do Sharingan related things.

You're still as obstinate as ever I see, refusing to concede even when you have no evidence whatsoever, it's sad.
Zetsu was surprised that Rinnegan could oppose Infinite Tsukiyomi too, which kinda implies he knows it can oppose such jutsu. He didn't just expect it to oppose IT. Again, it was explicitly said, that Sasuke was opposing it due to Rinnegan. While Nagato's Rinnegan probably can't oppose Infinite Tsukiyomi due to it being an inferior version, there really is no reason for us to believe it can't oppose one from an inferior Dojutsu. Again, genjutsu opposing is one of Sharinga's abilities, but it's not Sharingan exclusive.
Post automatically merged:

Sasuke clearly meant his own rinnegan which like SkySanji has said is very different than your run of the mill Rinnegan.

Madara had to switch between the MS and Rinnegan to use genjutsu ffs

He isn't just talking about his own Genjutsu. He made a general statement about how a Rinnegan can oppose another Rinnegan.

Post TS, Kakashi implied that his Mangekyo Sharingan should be able to handle Tsukuyomi despite lack of the Kekkei Genkai and judging Itachi's reaction, that may be true. Subsequently, the Rinnegan might be even more sufficient. Though I'm not sure regarding Izanami.

That aside, Itachi's weapons may still be too much for Pain to handle. Amaterasu would destroy most of the pains; only Gakido (absorption) and Tendo (Shinra Tensei) would counter it. Susanoo armed with the Yata Mirror and Totsuka Blade would also be too much. Totsuka could basically just swipe through all the pains, while the Yata Mirror would block any attack.

You could argue about Chibaku Tensei, but what would stop Itachi to immediately target the orb with Amaterasu in its early stage, if not even before the orb started to attract matter in the first place. At this point I'm going ignore the fact that by the end of the series, you could basically outrun Chibaku Tensei..

Nagato vs Itachi would be more interesting. Assuming both are healthy and in their prime, I would probably give it to Itachi as well. Assuming both Tsukuyomi and Amaterasu are useless, Susanoo with Yata Mirror and the Totsuka Blade should still give him the edge. Being overall more skilled and intelligent should help. He is fast, cunning and a master at using feints.

we actually know for a fact Pain can't counter genjutsu with his rinnegan

so how is this an argument
Well, Sound Genjutsu may work different to ocular Genjutsu against someone with Sharingan or Rinnegan. We know that Tayuya's Genjutsu affected both Sasuke and Itachi, hence they had to free themselves by casting a Genjutsu on each other.

He isn't just talking about his own Genjutsu. He made a general statement about how a Rinnegan can oppose another Rinnegan.
"Probably" bruh Sasuke doesn't even know lmao. The most likely explanation is his RinneSharingan can counter it because guess what? It is the exception to every rinnegan.

Again, he's Madara switching between eye powers to use genjutsu

something Sasuke doesn't even need to do.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
"Probably" bruh Sasuke doesn't even know lmao. The most likely explanation is his RinneSharingan can counter it because guess what? It is the exception to every rinnegan.

Again, he's Madara switching between eye powers to use genjutsu

something Sasuke doesn't even need to do.

Bro, Sasuke can't do Infinite Tsukuyomi, but he can still oppose it. You don't have to be able to do the exact same things to be able to oppose an application of an ability that is naturally inferior. Sasuke made a deduction and to this day, he isn't proved or implied to be wrong. And we have Zetsu confirming that he's opposing the jutsu thanks to Rinnegan. This is getting repetitive at this point.

Strong eyes can see through Visual genjutsu?
Thats why Deidara also trained his eye not his chakra control to counter Sharingan genjutsu
Strong eyes such as Sharingan can see through any type of Genjutsu, it literally says "any illusion"

Itachi's Genjutsu feats >>>>> Toad Genjutsu, so if Pain got negged by their Genjutsu which he did, then it's not debatable that Itachi could do the same.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
you're literally giving rinnesharingan feats to nagato lmao
Except we're told they're Rinnegan applications. You guys just want to confine it all to Sasuke as it doesn't fit your narrative, and then there's the fact that Rinnegan is naturally superior to Sharingan, which makes it very likely that it can oppose Sharingan even if it can't exactly replicate its functionality.

Tayuya's Genjutsu worked on both Sasuke and Itachi, with them having to cast a Genjutsu on each other in order to break it.

Well, Sound Genjutsu may work different to ocular Genjutsu against someone with Sharingan or Rinnegan. We know that Tayuya's Genjutsu affected both Sasuke and Itachi, hence they had to free themselves by casting a Genjutsu on each other.
Sasuke and Itachi saw through it, and while paralyzed still saw each other outside of the illusion which is how they're able to break it

Pain couldn't, he wasn't able to see outside of the illusion

The Sharingan genjutsu ability is literally "The All Seeing Eye" and the Rinnegan doesn't have that.

Here see how the pain paths can't perceive the outside world and just die

Except we're told they're Rinnegan applications. You guys just want to confine it all to Sasuke as it doesn't fit your narrative, and then there's the fact that Rinnegan is naturally superior to Sharingan, which makes it very likely that it can oppose Sharingan even if it can't exactly replicate its functionality.
We're told "probably" you keep ignoring that Sasuke himself doesn't know.

Again, we have seen what? 4 Rinnegan users in combat? and only 1 has shown that. Coincidentally that is also the guy who has the upgraded Rinnegan