Kingdom General Tier list

TheKnightOfTheSea

𝕷𝖔𝖗𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝕸𝖔𝖔𝖓'π–˜ π•Ύπ–•π–†π–œπ–“
β€Ž
I don't think their leaderships abilities are on par at all. It's one thing to raise morale as the strongest general of the strongest state, at the head of an elite army with superior numbers. I don't think Kan Mei had it in him to turn terrified peasants into hardened butchers in a matter of hours against elite opposition.

Kan Mei was more intelligent and well rounded, a man fit for the office he occupied, but his vanity and narcissism were too deep-rooted for him to ever have it in him to connect to people the way Mou Bu did and continues to.
I concede there. fair points

I hope not, but I also don't think he would given the sheers accomplishments Shi Ba Saku has to his name.
Even if Shibasaku or any of the remaining Old Qin Six are used as "hypetools" I think they'll be treated with more respect than Oukotsu was lol.

The real Ou Kotsu had wins over Ren Pa among other achievements and accolades. I believe Ou Ki got all that and then some, whereas Kingdom Ou Kotsu does not strike me as anything other than an inferior Mou Bu - which is still a monster by any measure. I have no doubt he was well educated and all that, but so was Mou Bu, and no one can credibly doubt his ability.
I am surprised by how clear cut Moubu>Oukotsu was. I'm sure he has some x-factor that Moubu/Kanmei lack but things are not looking good for him.

I would call it a fumble on Hara's part that Oukotsu looks as bad as he does.

I also think you've misinterpreted Ou Ki's thoughts on Gai Mou. If he didn't respect him, he'd just have killed him and deprived Wei of a centre piece at a time that would've serve Qin, and more important, King Sho. We know from his dealings with Shou Mou and Chou Katsu that he doesn't have any issue killing those he finds unworthy or beneath him.

Gai Mou is the real deal. Whatever his disagreements with Ou Ki and Ren Pa's romanticised views of war, whatever his own cynical views, his blows betray the weight of a true Great General of the Heavens. Shin knew it in an instant.
My interpretation was that Ouki didn't respect Gaimou as a general, he did respect/acknowledge Gaimou as being strong enough that he couldn't beat without severe injuries. Junsou did say that Ouki and Renpa avoided fighting Gaimou because of his power and I believe there's truth in that statement.

Ko Chou is a better leader of men, and only a shade lighter in intellect. I don't think Hara had any subtle intentions in depicting him and Ou Sen coming to the same realisation at the same time.
GHM occupies a position that's essentially Wei commander in chief. It's likely Gokei did as well, but Zhao is a bigger state than Wei so that's fair. I believe Gokei would recognize the tactic just as quickly as Ousen/Kochou did. Sun Bin used his strategy during a battle between the Qi and Wei, and Gokei, who possessed "the greatest military knowledge in Wei" would know about it.

Rin Bu Kun wasn't a GG in Chu, but he would've been in every other state, especially the smaller ones. He wasn't chosen as a representative of Chu's might if not for that fact, and even Kan Mei had a measure of respect for him. He would've risen to a higher tier if Tou had allowed it. I think he didn't have that many opportunities in Chu because of how overwhelming their strength was.
I'm sure if he would have been a Great General in every state but he certainly would be one in most except for Chu. I easily see him being strong enough to make it into Juuko hypothetically. It is possible he could have grown as well, he seemed to be young despite his appearance.

Man'U, like Gai Mou, wasn't on his A-game in the one arc we saw him, because he wasn't to moved to such. It's an incomplete picture to say the least.
The Juuko strategist did note that Man'U wasn't doing as well as he usually does.

I think that's because the dialogue and thoughts expressed by characters would have you believe Mou Gou was a bumbling idiot that failed upwards his entire career.
Yeah. There's lots of moments like that. During his first mention, Shoubunkun called him a mid general, and he himself even described his "rise" as being fortunate in Qin, even though though Qin awards merit.

If you look at Mougou's feats in a vacuum they're very solid

There is a reason why I always hammer on about not taking these things at face value in Kingdom. Hara is great at wiping up anticipation and tension quickly through pace and dialogue, but it's not all upside. The downside is that people allow certain impressions to lock in their minds forever.
One small thing I like about Kingdom is how people are often wrong. It's realistic. Foot Soldier 69 from Zhao should think Riboku is unstoppable, same with Foot Soldier 420 from Chu who thinks Kanmei is a god. It does make powerscaling slightly annoying because some sources shouldn't be trusted while others should lol

Even if Shibasaku or any of the remaining Old Qin Six are used as "hypetools" I think they'll be treated with more respect than Oukotsu was lol.
I suspect you're right on this.

I am surprised by how clear cut Moubu>Oukotsu was. I'm sure he has some x-factor that Moubu/Kanmei lack but things are not looking good for him.

I would call it a fumble on Hara's part that Oukotsu looks as bad as he does.
I treat Kingdom Ou Kotsu as basically a made up character, or close to it, for that reason. I'm not a fan of Hara's choices in this regard, but I do think it still left room for Ou Kotsu to still be a bona fide master of warfare.

To scale, I would scale the three as:
Ou Kotsu STR 97 LDR 92 INT 87
Mou Bu STR 99 LDR 95 INT 88
Kan Mei STR 99 LDR 92 INT 91

My interpretation was that Ouki didn't respect Gaimou as a general, he did respect/acknowledge Gaimou as being strong enough that he couldn't beat without severe injuries. Junsou did say that Ouki and Renpa avoided fighting Gaimou because of his power and I believe there's truth in that statement.
Reasonable people can disagree on this (and it's a great topic to go back and forth on), but I interpret as Ou Ki as absolutely respecting Gai Mou as a general and adversary, and I believe he even had a personal fondness for him for the same reasons he respected and was fond of Shin. Right or wrong, friend or foe, I think Ou Ki sensed the same greatness in Gai Mou, and that's why he didn't want to spoil the potential of a battle against a Gai Mou that truly understood.

Strength wise, yes, absolutely, Gai Mou wasn't an easy man to put away, so even the likes Ou Ki and Ren Pa wouldn't have engaged him lightly, but I don't think that would've kept either away from him - especially Ren Pa, whose only reason for doing anything was a lifelong love affair with warfare.

GHM occupies a position that's essentially Wei commander in chief. It's likely Gokei did as well, but Zhao is a bigger state than Wei so that's fair. I believe Gokei would recognize the tactic just as quickly as Ousen/Kochou did. Sun Bin used his strategy during a battle between the Qi and Wei, and Gokei, who possessed "the greatest military knowledge in Wei" would know about it.
You know where I stand on the Go Kei agenda. The man was calamity in human form on the battlefield. I have zero doubt he would've recognised the same signs and come to the same conclusion, quite possibly even faster than Ko Chou and Ou Sen.

Like GHM though, I think his only true "weakness" would've been in leadership beyond the Xs and Os. Go Kei was a man haunted by trauma and I think losing everything blunted his capacity of empathy and connection. That's not to say he didn't have it, but I think he was one of those geniuses (and his son is much the same) that found it hard to slow down enough to form bonds and living with that trauma didn't make things easier.

I think he acted so out of character because Duke Hyou matched his genius in his own way. They both spoke the language of warfare so fluently that they could converse unreservedly and with speed.

I'm sure if he would have been a Great General in every state but he certainly would be one in most except for Chu. I easily see him being strong enough to make it into Juuko hypothetically. It is possible he could have grown as well, he seemed to be young despite his appearance.
Very reasonable take.

The Juuko strategist did note that Man'U wasn't doing as well as he usually does.
I bring this up a lot but Man'u and Gai Mou are extremely similar characters. Opposites of the same coin.

Both put aside priorities of state for a showdown with their ideological foe to go to war with. They are both very lonesome individuals.

Man'U supposedly wants mou Bu to despair and become like him because misery likes company. I say supposedly because I believe deep down he wants to be "saved" from his despair and proven wrong, and to die the man he was, not who he became. That's why I believe Mou Bu will return Man'U to himself and face his strongest competition for it.

Gai Mou, befitting of his nature, is more straightforward and outright challenges Shin to settle their views on warfare the next time they meet. I think Shin will do just that and that Gai Mou will show his true strength in the duel they settle it. Deep down, I think Gai Mou wants to be proven wrong.

I believe both Man'U and Gai Mou possess obscene weight, but the former severed his connection to his, and the latter is in denial of of his feelings on warfare for reasons I hope will be explored.

Yeah. There's lots of moments like that. During his first mention, Shoubunkun called him a mid general, and he himself even described his "rise" as being fortunate in Qin, even though though Qin awards merit.

If you look at Mougou's feats in a vacuum they're very solid
What really solidifies it for me is the stamp of approval Ren Pa begrudgingly gave him.

One small thing I like about Kingdom is how people are often wrong. It's realistic. Foot Soldier 69 from Zhao should think Riboku is unstoppable, same with Foot Soldier 420 from Chu who thinks Kanmei is a god. It does make powerscaling slightly annoying because some sources shouldn't be trusted while others should lol
It's great because it's realistic. There are many examples of characters being factually incorrect on information the audience has firsthand access to, e.g. Ka Ryo Ten said Ri Haku gave Mou Bu problems at Bayou, but we know he didn't.

The issue is that discussions tend to be so agenda-driven and lazy that folks don't account for complete context and/or just accept things uncritically and at face value. It's quite annoying and makes discussions next to impossible.

Last edited:

TheKnightOfTheSea

β€Ž
I suspect you're right on this.
I always figured that one of Hakuki and Shibasaku would get used as a Kouen hypetool in the future. Not sure if that will happen though.

Reasonable people can disagree on this (and it's a great topic to go back and forth on), but I interpret as Ou Ki as absolutely respecting Gai Mou as a general and adversary, and I believe he even had a personal fondness for him for the same reasons he respected and was fond of Shin. Right or wrong, friend or foe, I think Ou Ki sensed the same greatness in Gai Mou, and that's why he didn't want to spoil the potential of a battle against a Gai Mou that truly understood.

Strength wise, yes, absolutely, Gai Mou wasn't an easy man to put away, so even the likes Ou Ki and Ren Pa wouldn't have engaged him lightly, but I don't think that would've kept either away from him - especially Ren Pa, whose only reason for doing anything was a lifelong love affair with warfare.
I think Ouki was definitely disappointed. Disappointed that someone with weight comparable to himself and Renpa acted in the way Gaimou did. I think he wanted him to better himself so we're in agreement on that, while also not thinking of him as that massive of a threat(I think he would have tried to kill any other Fire Dragon in that situation because he probably thought they could do more damage against Qin ultimately). I don't see any respect but I do see the fondness.

Maybe Renpa thought that he would lose to Gaimou and didn't want to die lol. Rinko mentioned that Renpa would have been happy to see young prodigies, so maybe he also wanted Gaimou to grow.

Like GHM though, I think his only true "weakness" would've been in leadership beyond the Xs and Os. Go Kei was a man haunted by trauma and I think losing everything blunted his capacity of empathy and connection. That's not to say he didn't have it, but I think he was one of those geniuses (and his son is much the same) that found it hard to slow down enough to form bonds and living with that trauma didn't make things easier.

I think he acted so out of character because Duke Hyou matched his genius in his own way. They both spoke the language of warfare so fluently that they could converse unreservedly and with speed.
Yeah I agree. Gouhoumei being surrounded by a sociopath like Reiou and a traumatized father probably didn't help his social skills lol.

Gokei seemed very surprised by the Duke's warfare, and scornful of it. The fact that he lost to a general like probably only upsetted him even more.

I bring this up a lot but Man'u and Gai Mou are extremely similar characters. Opposites of the same coin.

Both put aside priorities of state for a showdown with their ideological foe to go to war with. They are both very lonesome individuals.

Man'U supposedly wants mou Bu to despair and become like him because misery likes company. I say supposedly because I believe deep down he wants to be "saved" from his despair and proven wrong, and to die the man he was, not who he became. That's why I believe Mou Bu will return Man'U to himself and face his strongest competition for it.

Gai Mou, befitting of his nature, is more straightforward and outright challenges Shin to settle their views on warfare the next time they meet. I think Shin will do just that and that Gai Mou will show his true strength in the duel they settle it. Deep down, I think Gai Mou wants to be proven wrong.

I believe both Man'U and Gai Mou possess obscene weight, but the former severed his connection to his, and the latter is in denial of of his feelings on warfare for reasons I hope will be explored.
I pretty much agree. Let's hope they get the 1v1s they deserve from Hara.

It's great because it's realistic. There are many examples of characters being factually incorrect on information the audience has firsthand access to, e.g. Ka Ryo Ten said Ri Haku gave Mou Bu problems at Bayou, but we know he didn't.

The issue is that discussions tend to be so agenda-driven and lazy that folks don't account for complete context and/or just accept things uncritically and at face value. It's quite annoying and makes discussions next to impossible.

true dat. it's also easy to forget some elements from earlier arcs.

I think Ouki was definitely disappointed. Disappointed that someone with weight comparable to himself and Renpa acted in the way Gaimou did. I think he wanted him to better himself so we're in agreement on that, while also not thinking of him as that massive of a threat(I think he would have tried to kill any other Fire Dragon in that situation because he probably thought they could do more damage against Qin ultimately). I don't see any respect but I do see the fondness.
Some disappointment, sure, but I think only because of his high expectations for Gai Mou as an adversary that would take real effort to vanquish. Ou Ki didn't mince words or spare his scorn for those he didn't respect, and what else can you make of him preserving an enemy for when they have "something worth fighting for" if not a token of respect?

If Ou Ki didn't respect Gai Mou, why would he care? Remember how he spoke of Chou Katsu, who he considered an interloper in his clash with Ren Pa? I maintain Ou Ki would've deprived Wei of one of its strongest pieces if he didn't respect the man.

Maybe Renpa thought that he would lose to Gaimou and didn't want to die lol. Rinko mentioned that Renpa would have been happy to see young prodigies, so maybe he also wanted Gaimou to grow.
I think you're right on the point where he wanted to see Gai Mou grow. Not as a fighter but as a general. As a man who understood what he and Ou Ki understood. A man worth destroying with all his might.

Ren Pa fears no man. That man is a degenerate for warfare and likely prays to die on the battlefield. :milaugh:

TheKnightOfTheSea

β€Ž
Some disappointment, sure, but I think only because of his high expectations for Gai Mou as an adversary that would take real effort to vanquish. Ou Ki didn't mince words or spare his scorn for those he didn't respect, and what else can you make of him preserving an enemy for when they have "something worth fighting for" if not a token of respect?

If Ou Ki didn't respect Gai Mou, why would he care? Remember how he spoke of Chou Katsu, who he considered an interloper in his clash with Ren Pa? I maintain Ou Ki would've deprived Wei of one of its strongest pieces if he didn't respect the man.

I think you're right on the point where he wanted to see Gai Mou grow. Not as a fighter but as a general. As a man who understood what he and Ou Ki understood. A man worth destroying with all his might.

Ren Pa fears no man. That man is a degenerate for warfare and likely prays to die on the battlefield. :milaugh:
i interpreted it as Ouki being disappointed and irritation at Gaimou being the way he is despite his potential and weight. though your interpretention makes sense.

we still don't really know a lot about Gaimou. I expect Ouki to make at least a minor appearance in a Gaimou flashback in the future.

I agree that Renpa wants to die on the battlefield, but i don't think he'd be satisfied at all with dying to Gaimou for the same reasons Ouki thought fighting him wasn't worth the effort

we still don't really know a lot about Gaimou. I expect Ouki to make at least a minor appearance in a Gaimou flashback in the future.
I suspect we will get a flashback that clarifies this during or leading up to the rematch.

I agree that Renpa wants to die on the battlefield, but i don't think he'd be satisfied at all with dying to Gaimou for the same reasons Ouki thought fighting him wasn't worth the effort
Given his reaction to Rin Ko's death, I don't think Ren Pa would have any issue with losing to anyone that beat him fair and square, which is the only way Gai Mou would've wanted to accomplish it.

TheKnightOfTheSea

β€Ž
@Lee Ba Shou @Owl @MarineHQ @Bullet @FutureWarrior123 @Rumble @God Buggy
made a martial tier list
i'll be honest i wasn't sure at all how to tackle this list but i tried my best. it's not the best and i struggled with it more than the general list

i kinda gave up near the end. lol. the strongest is also unordered

edit: Just noticed I put Shoumou above Rinko and in the same tier as Gyou'un...

made a martial tier list
i'll be honest i wasn't sure at all how to tackle this list but i tried my best. it's not the best and i struggled with it more than the general list

Moubu > Kanmei > Manu as per canon.

I appreciate Kyoukai's position, but she still lost to Houken.

Shouheikun needs more feats to justify him being this high.

made a martial tier list

To be clear, you have GOATS below strongest?

While heavily nerfed.

TheKnightOfTheSea

β€Ž
Moubu > Kanmei > Manu as per canon.

Shouheikun needs more feats to justify him being this high.
Nerfed and exhausted Kyoukai lost to Houken

To be clear, you have GOATS below strongest?

While heavily nerfed.
Yes

I was lazy with the tier names

Yes

I was lazy with the tier names
Yeah, I have a lot of pushback for your two top tiers.

Hou Ken is still the strongest seen to date with, by far, the most absurd feats.

It took Ou Ki everything he had to be on the winning side against Hou Ken at Bayou and he was the embodiment of weight and what it means to be a Great General of the Heavens.

Shin, Kyou Kai, Mou Bu and maybe Shi Ba Shou could beat him with weight, but definitely not the likes of Man'U, Gai Mou and Kan Mei. I especially don't understand why you hold Man'U in such high regard.

It's a maybe for SBS because, as strongly as he feels for his people, the "scope" of his weight is much more narrower. I don't think he has the "hunger" and "ambition" and "selfishness" the other GGotHs possess.

Last edited:
Alright, as promised!

I did my best to my knowledge. There will obviously be disagrees among my list so I'm looking forward on how y'all approach this. @Lee Ba Shou @Owl Ki @TheKnightOfTheSea @Cichy @FutureWarrior123 @Bullet @RayanOO @God Buggy etc.

On the "Who?" tier, I do know that's Shoumou and the big guy that Shin defeated in the very first arc of Kingdom but I don't know who's the other two are. Is that supposed to be Makou lol? And who's the one in the paper draft? Kouen lol?
Unnecessary name calling but thanks nonetheless.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
β€Ž
Alright, as promised!

I did my best to my knowledge. There will obviously be disagrees among my list so I'm looking forward on how y'all approach this. @Lee Ba Shou @Owl Ki @TheKnightOfTheSea @Cichy @FutureWarrior123 @Bullet @RayanOO @God Buggy etc.

On the "Who?" tier, I do know that's Shoumou and the big guy that Shin defeated in the very first arc of Kingdom but I don't know who's the other two are. Is that supposed to be Makou lol? And who's the one in the paper draft? Kouen lol?

lol, Sakazouki made this template and he used a KouEn fanart I drew a few years back:

Anyway, good list. Some quick points:
-You put Shibashou above Moubu, Kanmei, and Rinshoujou? That may be a bit high for him, I would bump these guys up.

-Lol, Kyoukai at Fire Dragon level.

-Excellent Gakuhaku Kou placement, but where would you actually put him?

-I’d put Bajio at Heavenly King. He one shot Shinseijou (the Zhao general at Sai). Which is probably a good sign of his overall level. And Bajio is a beast.

-I’d make good generals and top generals into one tier, Rokuomi doesn’t belong above those guys lol.

-Absolutely criminal Ranbihaku placement. Bump him up to Heavenly King. He gave both Ouki and Kyou trouble and clashed equally with Tou.

-I’d bring Zenou up to Heavenly King too, definitely Kanki’s best sub.

-Your β€œWho?” Tier from left to right-> Shoumou (who Ouki one shot), Zuocci (the assassin Shin and Heki killed in arc number 1), Makou, and Kou En.

-Bump Kinmou and Maron up and delete that tier. They ain’t that bad lol.

Overall great list.

lol, Sakazouki made this template and he used a KouEn fanart I drew a few years back:

Anyway, good list. Some quick points:
-You put Shibashou above Moubu, Kanmei, and Rinshoujou? That may be a bit high for him, I would bump these guys up.

-Lol, Kyoukai at Fire Dragon level.

-Excellent Gakuhaku Kou placement, but where would you actually put him?

-I’d put Bajio at Heavenly King. He one shot Shinseijou (the Zhao general at Sai). Which is probably a good sign of his overall level. And Bajio is a beast.

-I’d make good generals and top generals into one tier, Rokuomi doesn’t belong above those guys lol.

-Absolutely criminal Ranbihaku placement. Bump him up to Heavenly King. He gave both Ouki and Kyou trouble and clashed equally with Tou.

-I’d bring Zenou up to Heavenly King too, definitely Kanki’s best sub.

-Your β€œWho?” Tier from left to right-> Shoumou (who Ouki one shot), Zuocci (the assassin Shin and Heki killed in arc number 1), Makou, and Kou En.

-Bump Kinmou and Maron up and delete that tier. They ain’t that bad lol.

Overall great list.
Damn, your Kouen drawing is great brah. Hope he looks something like that in the manga.

As for your points:

- Shibashou defeated Ousen who I rated above Moubu, Kanmei and Rinshoujo. That's very good for Shiba's first debut imo. Of course I'll take your advice on consideration and I might be on a recency bias for Shibashou.

Aye, Kyoukai deserves that much.:myman:But for real, her abilities as commander/general would actually be Heavenly Kings tier.

As for Dumpling-sama, as a general, I think he would be HK tier, probably between Akou and Mouten. Strength wise, bro is busted. I think only Kyoukai and maybe Houken can defeat GKHK or Buddha-sama on the ground 1v1.

Bajio, maybe. But I don't think Shinseijou or whatever his name was, was that impressive imo. He's just an old dude with no teeth. But I'll think about it.

Top and good generals tier lists, fair enough then, I feel like they all belong in the same tier.

RBH is strong but he's a mindless brute like Houken so it's hard for me to place him. Same for Zenou. At best, I might put them both at Base Great Generals level but not Heavenly Kings imo. HK level generals/commanders are exceptional and outstanding.

Okay, maybe putting Kinmou and Maron at bottom generals tier is pretty harsh for them. Like you said, they ain't that bad lol.

But thanks for your opinions, Lee.:kata:

Alright, as promised!

>Shiryou is most definitely not HK level. Her killing Jiaga was the result of his bro being in trouble and Jiaga geting distracted for a moment. On Shukai Plains Sou'ou plus Shiryou were loosing to one of the Earls until Ousen intervened.

>Kisui should be a tier higher. He canonically won a battle against five times bigger army and was noted to be a prodigy and GG-level in leadership.

>Hakuki should be in the same tier as Ouki and Renpa.