Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe? Something's ringing a bell about the bit where the two of them crashed into the Tower of Justice and Luffy started glaring at him, but I can't quite remember
Yeah, that's also the impression I have, but I'm too lazy to pick up my volumes right now (they are next to me but the official French translation of that era is different from the recent one, so I don't know how accurate it is).

But overall, you'd think that he'd know Yamato's name. I mean, he got Pedro's and Carrot's when going to WCI, only fucking around with Pekoms' name until very late in the arc. And none of them had the flashy entrance of Yamato.

I just checked and Luffy called Franky by his real name.

A few pages before he called Franky "jerk" and it's possible that due to some scanlations it was translated to sound like some sort of nickname, but even before he joined the crew Luffy was always calling Franky by his real name. Not like how he called Iceburg "Iceguy" similar to how he's calling Yamato "Yamabro".

And we know there's meaning behind what he calls people:

Funnily enough:
:funky::funky:

I just checked and Luffy called Franky by his real name.

A few pages before he called Franky "jerk" and it's possible that due to some scanlations it was translated to sound like some sort of nickname, but even before he joined the crew Luffy was always calling Franky by his real name. Not like how he called Iceburg "Iceguy" similar to how he's calling Yamato "Yamabro".

And we know there's meaning behind what he calls people:

Funnily enough:
He clearly isn't just not remembering her name though. Yamabro is more like chobro. He just switched a letter or two to make it more personal. It's more along the lines of "Traffy" or something.

He clearly isn't just not remembering her name though. Yamabro is more like chobro. He just switched a letter or two to make it more personal. It's more along the lines of "Traffy" or something.
Nah, lol. Chobro is a nickname specifically because Chopper asked Carrot to call him her big bro. Luffy gave Yamato a nickname not because he wanted to be more personal with her, but literally like Oda says, he can't be bothered to remember her name.

Luffy gives Law a nickname but Law also gives Luffy a nickname. It's a mutual thing between them and neither one of them opposes the nickname, unlike Yamato who doesn't want to be called Yamabro but is most likely gonna be stuck with that nickname regardless.

Luffy's never given any straw hat a nickname. Even before they joined the crew. So it's certainly not a good thing that Yamabro's been lumped with one, just like Cabbage, Hammock and Jaggy.

Heck, Luffy giving Yamato a nickname, something he has never done for any of his crew members isn't even the worst thing for her candidacy to arise this chapter.

That would be this:

Translation by sandman - Luffy: "This decisive battle should be started by them (Red Scabbards), not by us (Luffy and Yamato) !!"

Yamato tells Luffy her whole story. How she was trapped and abused by her father, Kaido. How she loves Oden and "inherited" his will. How she wants to fight alongside Luffy and take her father down. And finally found out that her father did in fact put real exploding handcuffs on her and would've killed her. And after all that, she wants to go after Kaido and have a big moment, but Luffy pulls Yamabro back and tells her that it should be the scabbards' moment, not hers.

Laying it out plain as day for her and the readers. The scabbard's relationship with Kaido, their dreams of fulfilling Oden's will, their need for revenge and their story are more important than Yamato's.

Yamato's entire plot revolves around the same things that the scabbards' plot revolves around, and she's been placed as lower in significance compared to them. Her character is a less important, less developed and less focused version of the scabbards. That treatment won't be given to someone who is to join the crew.

Her character arc into becoming her own person looks more and more likely now after Luffy basically clarified her rank in the Oden fanboy hierarchy. In which case she'd become her own character, which is a good thing. But at the same time, she'd lose all the things that made people consider her nakama material in the first place.

Caribou for Nakama :funky:
Caribou also asked to go on Luffy’s ship. Caribou for nakama double confirmed

Nah but seriously, obviously Luffy calling someone their real name doesn’t mean they are joining. But on the other hand, if Luffy calls someone by a nickname, which Oda has confirmed is because he can’t be bothered to remember what they’re actually called, something he never does for members of the crew, then that is a bad sign.

So whilst it’s nothing special for Carrot and Caribou, it’s at least not a bad thing, like it is for Yamabro. :myman:

I certainly agree on that. Rn the only thing Yamato has for her is the time spent with Luffy and even at that ,Luffy seems like he kind of brushed aside what she was talking about or didn't take it seriously at all. No skill or dream either,though admittedly it is kinda early.
Yeah, precisely.

Whilst they've interacted, Luffy isn't exactly impressed with her. And whilst that on its own doesn't mean much, that was basically what the reasonable claims for Yamato4nakama were banking on. Her and Luffy hitting it off right away and some quality time off the bat. Which didn't happen.

Yamato told Luffy her entire deal. Her idol, her wish, her backstory, her restrictions. Bam, bam, bam, we quickly fly through each of them and the very next chapter after she mentions the handcuffs and how they've been oh so restrictive and are responsible for her imprisonment for 20 whole years, Luffy takes them off. It's not made into some big deal with Luffy finally freeing her and allowing her to pursue her dream, instead it's played out like a joke. "Waaa, father was really gonna kill me!!!" *Gag crying face*

Despite how dark it should be, it's not treated as the serious ordeal that it is. And after which, Luffy holds back Yamato, telling her that the scabbards should be the ones to initiate the attack on Kaido, not her, despite being Kaido's daughter and her idolisation of Oden.

I also don't think not having a dream yet is a big deal since Oda can reveal that at any point tbh. He's revealed dreams for crew mates just before they join like in the case of Brook, so there's that. And for role whilst I'd agree it's too early to declare she doesn't have one (Although I don't think she ever will), it also doesn't help that her fellow candidate in Carrot has already been repeatedly positioned in a functional role on the crew in the lookout position. Similar to how Oda foreshadowed Jinbe being the straw hats helmsman by having him helm from Impel Down to Marineford. At the time he was just another helmsman with no mention on his amazing skills, but hundreds of chapters later, when the time came, he built on a skill previously shown to highlight that Jinbe is in fact amazing.

Heck, Luffy giving Yamato a nickname, something he has never done for any of his crew members isn't even the worst thing for her candidacy to arise this chapter.

That would be this:

Translation by sandman - Luffy: "This decisive battle should be started by them (Red Scabbards), not by us (Luffy and Yamato) !!"

Yamato tells Luffy her whole story. How she was trapped and abused by her father, Kaido. How she loves Oden and "inherited" his will. How she wants to fight alongside Luffy and take her father down. And finally found out that her father did in fact put real exploding handcuffs on her and would've killed her. And after all that, she wants to go after Kaido and have a big moment, but Luffy pulls Yamabro back and tells her that it should be the scabbards' moment, not hers.

Laying it out plain as day for her and the readers. The scabbard's relationship with Kaido, their dreams of fulfilling Oden's will, their need for revenge and their story are more important than Yamato's.

Yamato's entire plot revolves around the same things that the scabbards' plot revolves around, and she's been placed as lower in significance compared to them. Her character is a less important, less developed and less focused version of the scabbards. That treatment won't be given to someone who is to join the crew.

Her character arc into becoming her own person looks more and more likely now after Luffy basically clarified her rank in the Oden fanboy hierarchy. In which case she'd become her own character, which is a good thing. But at the same time, she'd lose all the things that made people consider her nakama material in the first place.
-Can't be bothered to remember her name
-literaly just her name with "bro" attached

Sure, whatever you say.

I read it the first time, and like I said, Law is obviously an exception, and this appears to be a similar thing because it is just her name with bro attached. He has to remember her name to do that. But please, try to be more condecending.
And "Ice Guy" is just Iceburg's name with guy attached. He has to remember his name to do that.

Acts condescending first then comments on someone returning the favour...

Sure, whatever you say.:kayneshrug:

Yamato told Luffy her entire deal. Her idol, her wish, her backstory, her restrictions. Bam, bam, bam, we quickly fly through each of them and the very next chapter after she mentions the handcuffs and how they've been oh so restrictive and are responsible for her imprisonment for 20 whole years, Luffy takes them off. It's not made into some big deal with Luffy finally freeing her and allowing her to pursue her dream, instead it's played out like a joke. "Waaa, father was really gonna kill me!!!" *Gag crying face*
Lol so much, Yamato's shackles and relationship with her daddy is dark comedy tier in this chapter despite the situation being perfect drama material (finally free after 20 years yet learning at the same time your father could really have had you killed) When I saw the the panel with Yamato calling Kaido a gorilla bull, followed with the one with her crying face I chuckled. Followed straight by a gag of Luffy mistaking Yamato's name as a cherry on the cake lol.
It also got outshined in the same chapter by Kanjuro's "death", Momo's speech and Scabbard's assault in term of impact.

Hello everyone, new here.

Just seen that the conversation was interesting, so I wanted to put my two cents in on the matter:

I think Yamato has a legitimate shot at joining the crew. Considering she's had two dramatic introductions and chapter title's dedicated just to her.

She's tied to the arc's main antagonist with an alluded sad past which is going to be expanded upon, alongside the Ace stuff.

She's already been characterized quite a bit in just 4 chapters, that its kinda in your face.

Plus, a desire to leave Wano and set sail, plus the self-invitation bit, and no interest in ruling.

I don't see the Yama-o as a negative towards her chance, as I see it more as a positive first impression Luffy has.

Just need to see more from her before being really certain.

And "Ice Guy" is just Iceburg's name with guy attached. He has to remember his name to do that.

Acts condescending first then comments on someone returning the favour...

Sure, whatever you say.:kayneshrug:
Fair enough on me starting it. I shouldn't have said it that way. Sorry about that. Let's both try and dial it down then.

As far as Ice guy, that kind of seems like he only remembered half the name. Luffy said most of Yamato right and made the part he changed rhyme with her real name. Very different.

Depending on the translation, it is also said as "Yama'O, which is not only closer, but could be interpreted as Luffy specifically referring to her as male, not giving a nickname. Perhaps she objected to it because she identifies as Oden, not actually trans, so changing her name to imply male gender but using her real name instead of Oden accomplishes nothing.

Also the article you posted said when someone joins the crew he "finally" remembers their name. This clearly implied he does not have to remember their names until they join the crew.

I still think Carrot is probably the most likely to be the final crew member despite my bias, but I'm seeing decent evidence for Yamato as well.

Fair enough on me starting it. I shouldn't have said it that way. Sorry about that. Let's both try and dial it down then.

As far as Ice guy, that kind of seems like he only remembered half the name. Luffy said most of Yamato right and made the part he changed rhyme with her real name. Very different.

Depending on the translation, it is also said as "Yama'O, which is not only closer, but could be interpreted as Luffy specifically referring to her as male, not giving a nickname. Perhaps she objected to it because she identifies as Oden, not actually trans, so changing her name to imply male gender but using her real name instead of Oden accomplishes nothing.

Also the article you posted said when someone joins the crew he "finally" remembers their name. This clearly implied he does not have to remember their names until they join the crew.

I still think Carrot is probably the most likely to be the final crew member despite my bias, but I'm seeing decent evidence for Yamato as well.
Appreciated. I apologise too.

And Yamabro is still just a fan translation. Need to see what the official decides to go with.

And yeah, whilst the article did state that he finally remembers their name when they join the crew, it's also true that he doesn't give nicknames to them even before he joined, unlike how he treats other characters.

That's fair. I can see why people think Yamato will join. I just think when compared to Carrot, she's vastly inferior. And I'm of the opinion that there's only one straw hat left and that Wano is the last point for someone to join the crew.

After Wano, OP is entering its final stages. There's simply no time to build up another member to join. This is the last arc for debate IMO and the only real candidates are Yamato and Carrot. The latter I think is going to join.

Status
Not open for further replies.