New Forum Rating System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
I would like to suggest the introduction of a new rating system which would substitute for our current liking system.

Being so obsessed with likes I found out the liking system doesn't properly disclose the quality of a poster but it's more a sort of a childish circlejerk by which thousands over thousands of likes are spread for futile content like copypasta, counting threads and so on.

This can be highly misleading and unfair in that users that don't deserve it at all, are recognized as the ones with most likes, when they instead stand as mediocre users.

The point of likes is to define which users post the best content but the original meaning for likes is getting scandalously butchered.

It would be nice if merit was instead prioritized.

We don't really need likes, we need a feature that can truly recognize the best WG users.

Liking system is the only aspect I truly despise about XenForo.

It would be lovely if WG featured a system that can entice members to post quality content and be recognized as quality posters.

So my proposal is to abolish the liking system and then draw up a better system that meets the criteria I presented.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
I don't understand your intention here Beta, arent you the one obsessed with like and message count...?
Of course, but although the number of posts don't make one the best user, likes can be misleading.

And I don't want to be the user recognized as "most liked" when my content lacks that much quality.

You see this is my point.

To introduce a fair system and abolish the old one. :)

It's not truly about being obsessed or not.

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
Liking system is the only aspect I truly despise about XenForo.
Okay

Being so obsessed with likes I found out
Then why are you so obsessed with something you truly despise?

And I don't want to be the user recognized as "most liked" when my content lacks that much quality.
Oh really??

Weren't you the one who said this (look below) yesterday on zoro D Goat Profile

"It's frustrating my man.

Less and less forum people are liking my posts, I will lose my soft spot on the leaderboard one day."

Contradicting yourself even outside Mafia? Lol

Someone who despise liking system shouldn't be worried about getting likes at all and losing his spot? Right?
Post automatically merged:

You are the last person who should suggest this. So it's weird seeing this from you

Last edited:

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Okay

Then why are you so obsessed with something you truly despise?

Oh really??

Weren't you the one who said this (look below) yesterday on zoro D Goat Profile

"It's frustrating my man.

Less and less forum people are liking my posts, I will lose my soft spot on the leaderboard one day."

Contradicting yourself even outside Mafia? Lol

Someone who despise liking system shouldn't be worried about getting likes at all and losing his spot? Right?
Don't make this personal, this is merely a proposal to augment the quality of the forum.

This is not about me, so don't derail the attention.

If you insist, yes I don't like this system but I always aimed for the top of messages and likes.

The problem is I recently found out how grim the liking system is and that the users on top are likely not to deserve their spots.

My complain was merely stirred as a frustration for seeing that less people were liking my posts, not that I cared that much about the likes themselves, but the affection of a few people I was losing. Perhaps you will understand.

I am overall here to propose a new system which would change for the better.

djiayebee

☆ 𝕊𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕡𝕖𝕣 𝔻𝕒𝕕𝕕𝕪 ☆
Don't make this personal, this is merely a proposal to augment the quality of the forum.

If you insist, yes I don't like this system but I always aimed for the top of messages and likes.

The problem is I recently found out how grim the liking system is and that the users on top are likely not to deserve their spots.

My complain was merely stirred as a frustration for seeing that less people were liking my posts, not that I cared that much about the likes themselves, but the affection of a few people I was losing. Perhaps you will understand.

Beta, I think you are a good guy, but dont you think there is a good reason why "less people are liking your posts"? We can discuss the system to improve it, no problem, but dont blame it for what you're experiencing man

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One

You recently found out? Lol

Every system has problem. Nothing is perfect. Even the rep system can be abused.

Liking system is working fine for me and for many others.

And, top posters(light , JDB , TAC, Lee and so on ) deserve likes with the exception of you who simply spam in each thread and profile post you come across.

People like their contents and give them likes. Also, it's too late to change this system.

Move on beta.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Beta, I think you are a good guy, but dont you think there is a good reason why "less people are liking your posts"? We can discuss the system to improve it, no problem, but dont blame it for what you're experiencing man
Of course this is not about me as I told.

My proposal is genuine and was born because I legit stand by the opinion that the liking system is unsightly for the way it is used and abused.

So I believe me and whomever will one day take my place are likely to not deserve to be defined as "most liked" users.

The quality of an user should be judged via entirely different parameters and surely not likes.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Rating systems are no different from liking systems. In the end, all systems can be abused and don't ever fully express people's opinions on a post or another user. So I don't think there should be changes or anything because it's all the same anyway.
Well a medal system could be an elegant and rightful way to prioritize users' merit and have them on top of the leaderboards.

Medals surely can't be abused and only specific requirements would be needed in order to attain them.

Mine is just an idea, it could be something else.

Well a medal system could be an elegant and rightful way to prioritize users' merit and have them on top of the leaderboards.

Medals surely can't be abused and only specific requirements would be needed in order to attain them.

Mine is just an idea, it could be something else.
Then you'll have people working for medals. We had this on OJ already and medals did upset a lot of people because some who deserved them or thought they did, didn't get them and some who didn't deserve them or pepole thought they didn't, did. Medals are a subjective reward, so that is actually the opposite of what you say you wanna have.

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
Hey Beta.

I get your point here, but i am not sure right now how to change it to get a good solution for everyone. So first of all, i wont/cant promise you anything. But i got your concern and will take a closer look at it, take a look on other solutions and will have a talk about in team.

So just let you know, we've read it and talk about it. :)

But i am also very interested in the opinions of the other users!

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Then you'll have people working for medals. We had this on OJ already and medals did upset a lot of people because some who deserved them or thought they did, didn't get them and some who didn't deserve them or pepole thought they didn't, did. Medals are a subjective reward, so that is actually the opposite of what you say you wanna have.
It depends on the way they are assigned

Whom assigns them and why

General Consensus should be prioritized of course

The price should look as legit and objective ad possible, this is what I mean and it must hold an important value recognizing the user as a quality poster
Post automatically merged:

Hey Beta.

I get your point here, but i am not sure right now how to change it to get a good solution for everyone. So first of all, i wont/cant promise you anything. But i got your concern and will take a closer look at it, take a look on other solutions and will have a talk about in team.

Thank you, I'll look forward. :)

Can't wait to hear some news about your decisions and progresses.

For anything PM me of course. :)

djiayebee

☆ 𝕊𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕡𝕖𝕣 𝔻𝕒𝕕𝕕𝕪 ☆
Hey Beta.

@Pantheos I'll give you my opinion then~

I am happy with the current system. And frankly speaking, I don't undertand the original quote in this thread of "This can be highly misleading and unfair in that users that don't deserve it at all, are recognized as the ones with most likes, when they instead stand as mediocre users"......

First, what defines a "best / mediocre user"?
:kaidowhat:

Personally, I dont judge one user based on his rank or number of likes or number of comments, or anything else that has been decided by the mass, for several reasons :
- when someone else likes something, it doesnt mean I will also like it or agree
- people who tend to get along well will have a more biased view and support each other
- there are so many different sections and not everyone has the same pattern to enjoy WG
- some people come here for fun or just to blow some stress away, some might only play games and don't even care about One Piece, some are serious, and some do not care at all
- the way i see it, I like a post either when I actually agree, or when I find it funny even if I may disagree with the content.

So imo for the exact same above reasons I dont see why a merit-based system would be any better.... it might actually cause even more confusion or frustration. And imagine how to handle the case of users who provide excellent content but are extremely rude?!

I dont think we need a system to tell which user posts "quality content" coz that's way too subjective. Current liking system is good for showing who are the most active users, regardless of the actual value added contribution, coz only each individual can and will decide about that!

The drawback of course is when someone cares too much about likes and start spamming every single thread and user profile with multiple messages that are not even related

Status
Not open for further replies.