The Legend Of Zelda Discussion Thread

After ending this game, I must say I am underwhelmed @Sentinel @Admiral Lee Hung @Fujishiro
Have you just finished the story or have you completed all shrines?

I have to say, BotW isn't my most favourite Zelda game and it has some weaknesses I simply cannot ignore (lacks of creative dungeon and dungeon bosses, annoying weapon durability, lack of enemy varieties and story is told in memories) but BotW's greatness is clearly its discovery and pure exploration.

I've replayed the story and travelled through the over world several times but each time I still discovered something new. And even now, there's still some stuff in YT - discovered by other people - which I clearly didn't know of.

BotW is overrated? Kind of but I also understand why people like this game that much.

Have you just finished the story or have you completed all shrines?

I have to say, BotW isn't my most favourite Zelda game and it has some weaknesses I simply cannot ignore (lacks of creative dungeon and dungeon bosses, annoying weapon durability, lack of enemy varieties and story is told in memories) but BotW's greatness is clearly its discovery and pure exploration.

I've replayed the story and travelled through the over world several times but each time I still discovered something new. And even now, there's still some stuff in YT - discovered by other people - which I clearly didn't know of.

BotW is overrated? Kind of but I also understand why people like this game that much.
I haven't done all shrines but I have done many shrines.

My problem is story is so short, and I generally play games for story. The whole story telling after old man gives you paraglider revolves around you getting master sword, and getting all Divine beasts.

I did that and also went to the memory locations, got the Royal horse, became so overpowered that I was easily defeating Savage Lynels.

But the most disappointing thing about BoTW is that the world doesn't even change post Ganon.

I did that and also went to the memory locations, got the Royal horse, became so overpowered that I was easily defeating Savage Lynels.
I think it was a big mistake putting 80% of the entire story into memories.
You're just seeing pieces of the past with no direct interaction with the characters - how epic would it be if you're in the middle of a quest 100 years ago but suddenly, you witness the Great Calamity and are actively trying to stop it?

As I said, story is one of the big weaknesses BotW clearly has.

But the most disappointing thing about BoTW is that the world doesn't even change post Ganon.
Well, the dev team had lots of ideas to put post Ganon stuff into a DLC but the soon they realised the amount of potential content, they decided to put all of this stuff into a big sequel - BotW2.

PS: Today, they announced the first trailer of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity which refers to the events before the Great Calamity happened 100 years ago. I dunno if you're familiar with these entire "..." Warriors games but it seems like this is the prequel to BotW.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
What aspects of GoW4 do you think are better than BotW? I'm game to have this debate lol. GOW4 is a washed up narrative that shouldn't even exist because Kratos' story should've ended after GoW3. GoW4 is what should have been an independent IP masquerading as a sequel to games that it itself has nothing whatsoever to do with.

What aspects of GoW4 do you think are better than BotW? I'm game to have this debate lol. GOW4 is a washed up narrative that shouldn't even exist because Kratos' story should've ended after GoW3. GoW4 is what should have been an independent IP masquerading as a sequel to games that it itself has nothing whatsoever to do with.
What aspects of GOW4 do I like more, well pretty much every thing

Protagonist
Kratos is not just one of the best characters in Video Games, he is up there with one of the greatest characters in fiction, I would say on par with if not better than even Guts.
GoW4 only made him even better by adding another dimension to his character which is his journey of repentance. He is trying to escape the ghost of his past, all the murders, atrocities he has committed which most a lot were justified in his own right, are fucking with his brain and in his journey. His journey as a protagonist in GoW4 is getting rid of those demons, through (funnily enough) going on a journey with his kid.
What is Link? Just Zelda's appointed knight, I haven't played many Zelda games but from what I have read, there is Link seems like a very bland protagonist
Graphics and Art
So Graphics is not even a comparison, I mean I know its unfair to compare Switch Cartridge to PS4 Blue Ray disk and significantly stronger specs but fact is graphics adds to the game hence why each generation strives on improving graphics even Nintendo itself.

Art you can debate but Zelda art feels very repetitive to me, yeah you have different areas such as Snowy mountain, deserts, grass, Rito Village but still on many fronts, arts feels repetitive, literally every Garudo feels the same, every Goron feels the same, even every Blight Ganon feels pretty much the same. God of War 4 obviously has much more diversity in the art, be it different areas of the world or characters

Combat
This one if not even a competition lol, BoTW has 3 different types of weapons, Heavy Weapon, Sword and Spear and then ranged weapons and shields but beyond that there is no diversity in combat. Using Knight's Broad Sword or using Royal Broad sword feels no different besides damage out put. Then there is general repetitiveness in Enemy Offense like All Lynels having pretty much same kinda offense with few moves added to Savage Lynels.
With God of War every single weapon feels different, combat is much more spread out with each enemy having very diverse set of arsenal, Kratos feeling different when using H2H, Fury Mode, Leviathan Axe or Blades of Chaos
Story
Again I would give this to God of War, journey of repentance for Kratos, is much more compelling to me than Link the protagonist starting out from the scratch and saving the world. Link's story is very basic while a great deal of complexity is associated with Kratos' story.
I mean what even is BoTW's story, there are only 2 real steps, Get Master sword and Get divine beasts and stories associated with each divine beast but even then each Divine beast has same theme. Divine Beast is fucking up the town and Link has to save the day. In that regard Link feels no different than Luffy lmao.

With Kratos you not only have lore from previous God of Wars connected to it, you have lore of its own with Norse mythology, the role of World Serpent, how Baldur plays a factor, how he kidnaps Atreus, the role of Oden, Mimir, Freya, I mean I can go on an on

Antagonist
This one is a clean sweep lol, Baldur shits on Ganon lol, the latter literally had no personality, it was like shape of a bug and then that giant beast, I was so disappointed when I saw Ganon I couldn't even believe, I thought it was just another Blight Ganon. Where as Baldur has personality, complex narrative, revenge archetype, charisma, great dialogue and his presence is literally felt throughout the series.

It gets even worse with supporting antagonists with each Blight Ganon basically looking the same where as every minor and semi major antagonist like Non Baldur Gods, feel different.

Cut Scenes
This is also a big one, God of War has some of the most beautiful cut scenes you could see, be it in the story or in the fight. I don't even think you would disagree with that one.
I mean come on, look at this lol

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
I would say on par with if not better than even Guts.

Shit we can put this hold BotW vs GoW debate on hold right the fuck now lmfao. I will say Kratos is a pretty awesome protagonist all around, but Guts is the GOAT man. Everything about him is just perfect lol. Idk, if you want to continue this then we can somewhere else but you fired shots at the GOAT, this shall not go unanswered lmfao.

What is Link? Just Zelda's appointed knight, I haven't played many Zelda games but from what I have read, there is Link seems like a very bland protagonist
Link is intentionally meant to be a blank-slate type character so that the player can connect to the world through him. He is meant to be the Link between the player and the game, and every iteration of him is meant to be this. Link cannot have an overly complex character or story because that would detract from the main enjoyment of Zelda, which is the exploration and interaction with the world and such. Every player has to be able to see the world through Link's eyes, and giving him a real personality would get in the way of that as not everyone can relate to a complex character like Kratos.

Kratos being complex is not a bad thing, but all I'm saying is that Link needs to be a bland character so that every player who plays Zelda can identify with him. That's what he is meant to be lol. But more on that later.

This one if not even a competition lol, BoTW has 3 different types of weapons, Heavy Weapon, Sword and Spear and then ranged weapons and shields but beyond that there is no diversity in combat.

So outside of all of the diversity, Breath of the Wild is not very diverse? Lol

But I think you also are bastardizing BotW's combat if you just look at different weapon types. Each and every component of the Shika slate also has different uses in combat. Stasis can freeze enemies, bombs can blow them up, the Magnet can be used to throw giant metallic objects into the enemies crushing them, freeze can be used against acquatic enemies, etc. and each of these slates can also be used to interact with the environment in ways that can allow you to defeat enemies without ever drawing a weapon.

Not to mention that each of the Champion powers is designed to be used in combat also. Urbosa's fury is great for crowd control and stunning larger enemies, Rivali's Gale can be utilized alongside the glider and bow and arrow for aerial combat (alongside different bow types and arrow types for different situations), Daruk's protection can be used to strategically tank attacks, and Mipha's Grace can be used for revives against bigger, harder hitting enemies. Each of the Champion's powers are all limited with cooldowns too which means managing them is even more important.

Breath of the Wild also allows you to upgrade different armor sets for different effects both in combat and traversal. If I had one legit complaint about Breath of the Wild though, it's that the game is pretty damn easy if you know what you're doing. By the time I faced Calamity Ganon, my armor was so high leveled that I could tank several hits from him in stride before dying, hits that he virtually stood no chance at landing on me when you factor in all of the Champion's Powers, skills I had honed, high level weapons shields and such, etc. But I suppose that is to be expected when you're playing a game meant for all ages. Difficulty isn't exactly going to be up there lol.

On top of all that, Breath of the Wild also has stealth options for those who are so inclined.

GoW4 combat is fine I guess, but combat is more of a focus in GoW than it is in BotW which is mainly about exploration.

I mean what even is BoTW's story, there are only 2 real steps, Get Master sword and Get divine beasts and stories associated with each divine beast but even then each Divine beast has same theme. Divine Beast is fucking up the town and Link has to save the day. In that regard Link feels no different than Luffy lmao.
Most of the story in Breath of the Wild involves how you're exploring a ruined and destroyed Hyrule. The story isn't presented in as...I hate to use the word "obvious" but...obvious way as it is in GoW where you have traditional cutscenes and dialogue and such. Most of the story in Breath of the Wild allows how you yourself explore a ruined world as you are constantly hearing stories and receiving clues about how prosperous the world was one hundred years ago before you failed.

Sure you as the player didn't fail but, if you really want to get into the mindset of the world and Link and such, the weight of your own failure is bearing down on you throughout almost the entirety of the game. Each time you enter a new, destroyed area, or an area patrolled by monsters and guardians, or an area where a ton of people used to live but are now all dead, the weight of your own failure weighs down on you as you are left to contemplate how important your journey is and everything that is at stake. You are reminded that Zelda is in Hyrule Castle alone, holding Ganon at bay by herself while she waits for you, which adds an extreme weight to everything you do and every new area you explore.

Every triumph in BotW, whether it be the Divine Beasts, the Master Sword, defeating Ganon, or even smaller things like taming a horse, upgrading your armor, beating a Goblin hideout, etc...adds to the emotional weight of the story as you feel like you are making up for something that you failed to do in the past.

Just my opinion on the story ofc. It's not fair to compare a story like BotW's to a story like God of War because God of War is like a movie. You watch the story in a very straightforward manner, but Breath of the Wild is more like an experience. You are left to discover the story for yourself. You are left to explore the world in your own terms and not on the terms of a cutscene or pre-decided dialogue. It is a much more nuanced story than GoW in my opinion.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose lol.

It gets even worse with supporting antagonists with each Blight Ganon basically looking the same where as every minor and semi major antagonist like Non Baldur Gods, feel different.
I'll give you that. Me and @Sentinel agreed that the worst part of BotW is the Divine Beasts and Blight Canons. They all lack identity and feel bland in comparison to past Zeldas.

But these are only parts of the story. Zora's Domain, Death Mountain, Gerudo Desert, and Rito Village are all amazing and among the best in Zelda history and some of the coolest video game environments I've seen in recent years. Both the envionments themselves and the treks to get there. It feels like an ordeal just to reach each of them because part of the gameplay in Breath of the Wild is the exploration itself. You can't really just run in a straight line to either location. The game actually forces you to explore the world with elements like weather, shrines, monsters, day and night cycles, etc.

At the end of the day to each his own but I feel like you haven't given enough credit to Breath of the Wild.

Tbh I'm still salty as fuck that you said Kratos > Guts lmfao.

Shit we can put this hold BotW vs GoW debate on hold right the fuck now lmfao. I will say Kratos is a pretty awesome protagonist all around, but Guts is the GOAT man. Everything about him is just perfect lol. Idk, if you want to continue this then we can somewhere else but you fired shots at the GOAT, this shall not go unanswered lmfao.

Link is intentionally meant to be a blank-slate type character so that the player can connect to the world through him. He is meant to be the Link between the player and the game, and every iteration of him is meant to be this. Link cannot have an overly complex character or story because that would detract from the main enjoyment of Zelda, which is the exploration and interaction with the world and such. Every player has to be able to see the world through Link's eyes, and giving him a real personality would get in the way of that as not everyone can relate to a complex character like Kratos.

Kratos being complex is not a bad thing, but all I'm saying is that Link needs to be a bland character so that every player who plays Zelda can identify with him. That's what he is meant to be lol. But more on that later.

So outside of all of the diversity, Breath of the Wild is not very diverse? Lol

But I think you also are bastardizing BotW's combat if you just look at different weapon types. Each and every component of the Shika slate also has different uses in combat. Stasis can freeze enemies, bombs can blow them up, the Magnet can be used to throw giant metallic objects into the enemies crushing them, freeze can be used against acquatic enemies, etc. and each of these slates can also be used to interact with the environment in ways that can allow you to defeat enemies without ever drawing a weapon.

Not to mention that each of the Champion powers is designed to be used in combat also. Urbosa's fury is great for crowd control and stunning larger enemies, Rivali's Gale can be utilized alongside the glider and bow and arrow for aerial combat (alongside different bow types and arrow types for different situations), Daruk's protection can be used to strategically tank attacks, and Mipha's Grace can be used for revives against bigger, harder hitting enemies. Each of the Champion's powers are all limited with cooldowns too which means managing them is even more important.

Breath of the Wild also allows you to upgrade different armor sets for different effects both in combat and traversal. If I had one legit complaint about Breath of the Wild though, it's that the game is pretty damn easy if you know what you're doing. By the time I faced Calamity Ganon, my armor was so high leveled that I could tank several hits from him in stride before dying, hits that he virtually stood no chance at landing on me when you factor in all of the Champion's Powers, skills I had honed, high level weapons shields and such, etc. But I suppose that is to be expected when you're playing a game meant for all ages. Difficulty isn't exactly going to be up there lol.

On top of all that, Breath of the Wild also has stealth options for those who are so inclined.

GoW4 combat is fine I guess, but combat is more of a focus in GoW than it is in BotW which is mainly about exploration.

Most of the story in Breath of the Wild involves how you're exploring a ruined and destroyed Hyrule. The story isn't presented in as...I hate to use the word "obvious" but...obvious way as it is in GoW where you have traditional cutscenes and dialogue and such. Most of the story in Breath of the Wild allows how you yourself explore a ruined world as you are constantly hearing stories and receiving clues about how prosperous the world was one hundred years ago before you failed.

Sure you as the player didn't fail but, if you really want to get into the mindset of the world and Link and such, the weight of your own failure is bearing down on you throughout almost the entirety of the game. Each time you enter a new, destroyed area, or an area patrolled by monsters and guardians, or an area where a ton of people used to live but are now all dead, the weight of your own failure weighs down on you as you are left to contemplate how important your journey is and everything that is at stake. You are reminded that Zelda is in Hyrule Castle alone, holding Ganon at bay by herself while she waits for you, which adds an extreme weight to everything you do and every new area you explore.

Every triumph in BotW, whether it be the Divine Beasts, the Master Sword, defeating Ganon, or even smaller things like taming a horse, upgrading your armor, beating a Goblin hideout, etc...adds to the emotional weight of the story as you feel like you are making up for something that you failed to do in the past.

Just my opinion on the story ofc. It's not fair to compare a story like BotW's to a story like God of War because God of War is like a movie. You watch the story in a very straightforward manner, but Breath of the Wild is more like an experience. You are left to discover the story for yourself. You are left to explore the world in your own terms and not on the terms of a cutscene or pre-decided dialogue. It is a much more nuanced story than GoW in my opinion.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose lol.

I'll give you that. Me and @Sentinel agreed that the worst part of BotW is the Divine Beasts and Blight Canons. They all lack identity and feel bland in comparison to past Zeldas.

But these are only parts of the story. Zora's Domain, Death Mountain, Gerudo Desert, and Rito Village are all amazing and among the best in Zelda history and some of the coolest video game environments I've seen in recent years. Both the envionments themselves and the treks to get there. It feels like an ordeal just to reach each of them because part of the gameplay in Breath of the Wild is the exploration itself. You can't really just run in a straight line to either location. The game actually forces you to explore the world with elements like weather, shrines, monsters, day and night cycles, etc.

At the end of the day to each his own but I feel like you haven't given enough credit to Breath of the Wild.

Tbh I'm still salty as fuck that you said Kratos 0 Guts lmfao.
I admit I have been very harsh to Breath of the wild but to be fair I have also not done GoW justice.
I would be down to have more formal debate with some prep, sometime down the line.

Though I am more interested in Guts vs Kratos, who is better character debate.

D

Deleted member 83

Musuo style prequel to BotW while we wait for the proper sequel. Nintendo apparently worked very closely with Koei Tecmo for it.

Playable characters being Link, Zelda and the champions.

It's not BotW 2, but it should be good enough to keep us going while we wait for it.
really fucking sad that it's false advertisement and that Age of Calamity is not actually a BoTW prequel :whitepress:

I have a Switch and the BOTW
I have a Wii and Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess
I have the GameCube and Windwaker.
I have a DS and Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hour Glass.
I lost my n64 and my snes.
Had link to the past, OoT and Majoras Mask...

Anyways,
Ocarina of Time is my favorite game.
Then I tried playing Majoras Mask but Never completed it.
I was a kid so maybe it was too difficult/confusing for me.

Point is,
I HAVE all these games but I have never played them.
Mejoras Mask traumatized me or something....
Should I give it a try again or skip it?
It turned me off the rest of the series.
Sad!

Definitely; MM as a whole is probably the Zelda game with the most amazing side quests. The story and overworld is somewhat creepy but very interesting.

If you liked OOT for its gameplay, dungeons and so on, you sure would like MM as well, especially in terms of dungeons.
Ive been putting it off for 20 years.
Maybe my child brain/logic just wasnt up to it.
This is the best time I guess.
Ill try to give it a go.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Ive been putting it off for 20 years.
Maybe my child brain/logic just wasnt up to it.
This is the best time I guess.
Ill try to give it a go.
Do yourself a favor and play it ASAP. Majora’s Mask is my favorite Zelda and second favorite game of all time. It has one of the most unique stories in video games (definitely the most unique in Zelda).

Majora’s Mask arguably has the coolest dungeons in the series too imo. Next to Twilight Princess probably. And the bosses are among the best also imho.