General & Others Why have we not seen a single character who aspires to be WSS?

No there are different definitions of bisento.
You can't do traditional swordsmanship with Bisento lmao, it is used as more of a spear, stabbing weapon.

Also even beyond that just having a sword doesn't make you a swordsman, being a skilled swordsman makes you a swordsman.
What is Whitebeard's legacy as a swordsman?

Does he not have a devil fruit, can he perform flying slashes like Roger and Big Mom can?
Does he have all the portrayal of a swordsman that Shanks has?
Is he introduced as a swordsman like Fujitora is?
It's a staff with a short blade or a spear like weapon.
A bisento is simultaneously a long sword and polearm

A bisento is simultaneously a long sword and polearm
Its not used as a sword traditionally, its used as a stabbing weapon but you can perform some sort of swordsmanship with it I guess. Definitely not enough to qualify you as a swordsman.

Not to mention doesn't WB's main power come from his DF?
When I say swordsman I mean traditional swordsman like Roger and Shanks who have nothing besides swordsmanship techniques.

To become pirate king roger stole a copy from meme (something brook could do) begged his rival for his crew member and everything else fell in his lap beating no one on the way. None of that is as difficult as beating a top tier.
but the intro said:
Wealth, fame. power
The man who had acquired everything in this worl, The Pirate king Gold Roger.
that's why i've spent 18 years of reading roger's leftover which is one piece.

Its not used as a sword traditionally, its used as a stabbing weapon but you can perform some sort of swordsmanship with it I guess. Definitely not enough to qualify you as a swordsman.

Not to mention doesn't WB's main power come from his DF?
When I say swordsman I mean traditional swordsman like Roger and Shanks who have nothing besides swordsmanship techniques.
@bold Based on what? The Wikipedia description "a double-edged long sword with a thick truncated blade","a spear-like weapon with a blade at the end that resembles a scimitar,” “a polearm resembling a glaive with a long, heavy haft and a heavy, curved blade". It can be used either like a sword or polearm, but it still can qualify you as a swordsman

So do you also accept that people like Fujitora and Kizaru shouldn’t qualify for the WSS title since their main power comes from their DF?

Shanks and Roger’s main power is Adv CoC, not swordsmanship. Or else why was Roger never called WSS?

Bisento is a pole arm. Long sword is one of its many descriptions.....its also called a spear, glaive and scimitar appearance wise.
It can be all at the same time. It depends on how you use it
Post automatically merged:

You see two guys fighting with bisentos.....

Would you say that they are swordfighting?

:risitavirus:

Jeez this people.
If you see a guy waving a sword around in a completely arbitrary and unnecessary motion, and he summons a meteor on you, would you say he is swordfighting?

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
but the intro said:
Wealth, fame. power
The man who had acquired everything in this worl, The Pirate king Gold Roger.
that's why i've spent 18 years of reading roger's leftover which is one piece.
So ? What does that matter.
Yamato was introduced as kaidos son turns out its a daughter.
Peoples statements on how hard being pirate king mean FUCK ALL
We have seen how roger became pirate king ON PANEL
He did something brook did by stealing a copy from meme begged his rival for his crew member and everything else fell in his lap beating NOBODY on the way.
It has nothing to do with strength. But luck.

Among all relevant characters we've seen, not one has had any aspiration to be WSS nor do they even care about the title. We are in Wano Kuni, a country full of strong swordsmen but not once have we heard of Mihawk. Why is there such a stark discrepancy between how much of the fanbase values WSS title and its relevancy in power scaling and the in verse perceptions of the title?

The title would be legitimized greatly if Zoro had an actual rival or a character in passing who aspires to be WSS or aspires to beat Mihawk but we have no such thing.

So this begs the question, does the fanbase value this title way too much when Oda himself hasn't even done anything to progress or build up any tension towards Zoro's goal. It's not hyperbole to assert that there is not development in Zoro's goal to becoming WSS. There is no tension, no tug, it all falls flat when you realize that over 400 chapters of the TS, this aspiration has not been hinted at once by any other character. No one cares about Mihawk and WSS so, why should we as fans place such emphasis on a title without any story points legitimizing it?

For example, if we get that Beckman is the World Greatest/Strongest Marksman, does that really do anything for power scaling? It would be cool info sure but, that changes nothing about the power scaling. At this point, learning that Beckman is the greatest Marksman would have as much weight as Mihawk being the Greatest Swordsman. They both would have similar levels of build up and development (Zero).
Because Oda doesn't care about that.

He wants to write a funny adventure and create a huge and fantastic world. That's it and it obviously works.

Things like plot conveniences, justified questions (like the one you asked) or picture-perfect logic and consistency have never been his top priorities.

Once fans accept that, it's a better read tbh.

Ok? That's why it's called pole arm/pole weapon. They are known for their versatile usage.....

How does that change the fact that's it pole arm just like the spear?
It’s also called a long sword...

It doesn’t matter if it’s an exotic sword. Mihawk isn’t the World’s Strongest Traditional Sword Wielding Swordsman

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Because Oda doesn't care about that.

He wants to write a funny adventure and create a huge and fantastic world. That's it and it obviously works.

Things like plot conveniences, justified questions (like the one you asked) or picture-perfect logic and consistency have never been his top priorities.

Once fans accept that, it's a better read tbh.
Reminds me of the bounty hunters....or lack there of.

It’s also called a long sword...

It doesn’t matter if it’s an exotic sword. Mihawk isn’t the World’s Strongest Traditional Sword Wielding Swordsman
It is classified as a pole arm, not a sword. A bisento is called a long sword, spear, scimitar and even an axe due to its physical appearance and many usage. How is this so hard to comprehend? Its not apart of Mihawk's WSS title unless spears are swords now?

So ? What does that matter.
Yamato was introduced as kaidos son turns out its a daughter.
Peoples statements on how hard being pirate king mean FUCK ALL
We have seen how roger became pirate king ON PANEL
He did something brook did by stealing a copy from meme begged his rival for his crew member and everything else fell in his lap beating NOBODY on the way.
It has nothing to do with strength. But luck.
bro its one piece not samurai sword manga. all that matter is PK and one piece. thats why zoro throws his dream and waste his life. for making luffy PK

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
bro its one piece not samurai sword manga. all that matter is PK and one piece. thats why zoro throws his dream and waste his life. for making luffy PK
Whats got to do with my point lmfao. Look at you crying because the manga proves you wrong and becoming pirate king can be done without being strong without beating anyone. Just a little luck.

@bold Based on what? The Wikipedia description "a double-edged long sword with a thick truncated blade","a spear-like weapon with a blade at the end that resembles a scimitar,” “a polearm resembling a glaive with a long, heavy haft and a heavy, curved blade". It can be used either like a sword or polearm, but it still can qualify you as a swordsman

So do you also accept that people like Fujitora and Kizaru shouldn’t qualify for the WSS title since their main power comes from their DF?

Shanks and Roger’s main power is Adv CoC, not swordsmanship. Or else why was Roger never called WSS?
Because its not what Bisento is used for lmaoo. You need to do your research, tell me in what swordsmanship Dojo's, swordsmanship is practiced with a pole, spear like weapon.

Fujitora is a swordsman, he is called that Oda himself, so no mental gymnastics to be applied. Kizaru is up in the air because while he seems efficient with the sword in CqC, I am not sure what he is at his best at.

Advanced CoC Bullshit.
Home many time do I have to debunk that shit? CoC is not a fighting power, its a power to force people (Far weaker than you) into submission, Oda has literally said it in SBS

D: Luffy's haoshoku haki was able to affect 50,000 men, but how many would Shanks and the others be able to defeat? P.N. Captain Nobuo

O: In exactly the same place and exact same situation as Luffy, Shanks or Rayleigh may have been capable of knocking out all 100,000. In a different setting, you can't really compare just by asking "how many people". Being able to knock an enemy out with haki depends entirely on having an overwhelming power gap between the two. In Luffy's case the point is the number of people that were so weak that they were not even worth him fighting. If there were 100,000 to-some-extent-strong-willed pirates before him, it's possible that he wouldn't even be able to knock out a single one. On a related note, as one's proficiency with haoshoku advances, it's even possible to target a few people in a crowd to NOT knock out.

Luffy has shown end all be all of conquerors and he is learning armament Haki to beat the most durable character in the series and not conquerors Haki.

If Shanks had advanced Conqueror's Haki and it was effective in combat, why didn't he use it against Mihawk to win? Why didn't he used it against Akainu? Or Whitebeard?

Why did Roger not use advanced Conqueror's Haki against Whitebeard? Why didn't he use it against Oden? Why did he used Swordsmanship Against latter and advanced CoA against former?

Its straight up delusional that Shanks, someone who was shown training as a swordsman as a kid, has always used his sword in combat, is skilled enough swordsman to rival current WSS at one point doesn't have swordsmanship as his main power.

When did Shanks train with his CoC lol?

Roger was not recognized as WSS because World simply didn't recognize him as strongest among swordsman, due to presence of Shiki, Rayleigh etc. Roger was seen through statements we have gotten so far, as similar level to those guys.

Shanks is not seen by the people as similar level to Mihawk, when he only has one arm.

Yet Oda has given us more sword lore in One Piece than even a manga like Rorouni Kenshin a swordsmanship manga.

In One Piece we have
-World's Strongest Swordsman
-One of the Yonkou and One of the admirals are confirmed swordsman
-We have different grades of blades
-Different kinds of blades
-Names of blades
-Lore behind those blades
-Swordsmanship techniques
-Swordsmanship styles
-An entire country of swordsmen
-Swordsmanship long term lore related to that country
-Armament Haki mostly dedicated to swordsmen
-Power type swordsmen
-Speed type swordsmen
-Ittoryu, Nitoryu, Santoryu
-Concepts like Iai Jutsu

Why has Oda spent so much time and effort on swordsmanship? Far more than he has on any other fighting style?

Reminds me of the bounty hunters....or lack there of.
Yep. There are countless examples and moments where one can say: "Wait a moment, that's really convenient or inconsistent writing right there!"

That's not a knock on OP by any means btw, vast majority of shonen mangas are way worse.

Like I said, if you value consistency and logical writing over everything else, OP is solid compared to other shones series, but clearly not the best one to read (probably have to switch to HxH then).

OP simply has other strengths, that made it so successful (deservedly so).

Whats got to do with my point lmfao. Look at you crying because the manga proves you wrong and becoming pirate king can be done without being strong without beating anyone. Just a little luck.
being pk isnt just beat ppl or fight.thats what that you dont get. thats why oda say fame wealth power not just power.

you clearly dont get the quality pk like roger or fture pk like luffy is way way above everyone else. even mihawk realise about that.

at least I know to be a wss ppl need at least get beaten 2000 times by girl like kuina lol