General & Others The Importance of Dracule Mihawk

How important do you think Mihawk is to the story of One Piece?

• Very important

• Quite important

• Somewhat relevant

• Unimportant

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hello denizens of Worst Gen. Most of you would know me as the Internet's resident Mihawk wanker fan, but it's probably safe to say that Mihawk isn't common to have as one's favourite character. Most people view him solely as Zoro's endgame or from a powerscaling perspective rather than as a character in his own right. I hope to persuade you that Dracule Mihawk is not merely a one-dimensional, stereotypical antagonist, but a complex, multifaceted character that experiences growth and development.

Most people assume that top tier characters, especially those with a more stoic disposition, are uninteresting and bland. Being at the top of their field, they don't have much room to grow and have little incentive to pursue continuous self-improvement. It baffles me, however, to see people accuse Mihawk of being bland, or worse, emotionless. He clearly does express emotions, and in fact has demonstrated some of the most positive character development for a non-protagonist. Let's look back to his debut at Baratie:

The first thing we learn about Mihawk is that he is extremely jaded and expresses a nihilistic view of defeat. He doesn't see defeat as an opportunity to learn and grow as Shanks does, but the end of one's hopes and dreams. It's pretty evident that by the time he meets Zoro, Mihawk has seen his fair share of reckless young upstarts attempting to claw their way to the top during the most cutthroat era of piracy to date. He's seen far too many individuals like Krieg; unscrupulous, hypocritical and utterly devoid of honour, to the point where he is genuinely shocked that Zoro would put his money where his mouth is and back up his convictions with action. Chapter 51 Mihawk is a world-weary loner, a man who has long achieved his dream, reached the end of his ambition, but has found it desperately isolating and unfulfilling. Meeting Zoro and Luffy, however, sparks the start of his character arc, the moment that Mihawk starts to believe in dreams and ambition again.

When Zoro declares his promise to Luffy, pay close attention to Oda's use of panelling in this chapter. Mihawk and Luffy are positioned on either side of Wado Ichimonji, symbolising Zoro's vow, his past and his future. Mihawk, whom Zoro set sail to meet, is on the right. Because manga is read from right to left, Mihawk represents Zoro's past ambition, his lone wolf lifestyle before he met Luffy. Luffy is on the left symbolising Zoro's newfound goal and selflessness. Both Mihawk and Luffy are portrayed grinning; they realise that Zoro has found a greater purpose in life, and his defeat can only spur him onwards to new heights. From the day he met them, Mihawk praised the bond between Luffy and Zoro, and you may notice that Zoro's displays of selfless loyalty to Luffy have been the only thing in the series to elicit a smile from Mihawk. Despite Mihawk's own isolation, he sees the beauty of trust, loyalty and companionship.

Another criticism I've heard is that Mihawk is apparently an asshole - an unhelpful, selfish man who cares only for his own pleasure. However, this could not be further from the truth.

Upon finding Zoro stranded on Kuraigana Island, Mihawk lent him a boat so he could return to Sabaody. He also offered Zoro shelter in his castle when it became clear that Zoro was injured and struggling against the baboons. In contrast, Ivankov refused to lend Sanji a boat at all and laughed at his predicament. Mihawk also remembered a story Shanks told him 10 years ago, and travelled all the way to the New World because he realised how important Luffy was to Shanks. These actions seem completely at odds with being selfish and an asshole. There's also the fact that Mihawk only decided to train Zoro because he admired Zoro's selflessness and willingness to sacrifice his pride.

The arrival of Zoro and Perona was a key stage in Mihawk's character development. Though he initially found Perona annoying and refused to oblige her request for a hot cocoa, the two of them are shown sharing wine during Zoro's flashback. It is strongly implied that Perona often spectated Zoro's training, treated his injuries and the three of them lived and cooked meals together much like a family. The fact that Mihawk and Perona were shown enjoying onigiri, Zoro's signature food, suggests that Zoro rubbed off on them both. In chapter 925, Mihawk demonstrates clear concern for Perona, making her feel touched and highly emotional. Mihawk even suggests that it would be good for her to leave, sensing that events at Reverie could potentially put her in danger.

Perhaps the clearest evidence of Mihawk's character development lies in his environment and how it has changed over time. When Zoro first arrived, Kuraigana was a wasteland, debris strewn everywhere and infested with humandrills who had only ever known violence. Over the timeskip, however, Mihawk, Perona and Zoro restored the island to an agricultural paradise, and even made peaceful farmers out of the humandrills. The revitalised landscape symbolises the change in Mihawk's state of mind, and how his newfound companionship has heightened his ability to work with others and improve his surroundings. Even in Japan, the Kuraigana Trio continues to capture readers' hearts and minds; Perona and Mihawk rank among the top 25 characters in the series, and their relationships with Zoro are the subject of many adventures in the spin-off manga One Piece Party. Zoro and Perona have clearly left their mark on Mihawk's character and encouraged him to develop a far healthier and more positive mindset. I look forward to seeing where Oda takes their relationship, particularly if Perona endangers herself trying to rescue Moria.

Hopefully I have convinced a few people to see Mihawk for the layered, nuanced character that he is, and have stirred up a bit of excitement for his next appearance. I will leave you all with some panels from One Piece Party, enjoy Mihawk slapping Zoro in the face and trying to draw graffiti on his back.

P.S. This is not a power level thread, this is solely about Mihawk's character and his relevance to the plot of OP.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Mihawk gets hate mostly because of his connection to Zoro......Good development is subtle and in the details; it doesnt have to be shoved in the face of readers. Jinbe gets a similar treatment of being called bland and boring.

One of the biggest themes in OP is dreams and what a man does to achieve them. Almost every person is super ambiguous and some of the most powerful and influential people in the world are still silver medalist and never achieved their dreams....Mihawk is one of the few that did and found emptiness afterwards. He's pretty much what Zoro wouldve became if he never meet Luffy.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Your breakdown really reminded me of the fact that no matter how antisocial someone is, they still need human interaction in order to fill a void. Humans are social creatures after all.

One of the most overlooked (and lowkey funny) scenarios in One Piece to me has always been how Mihawk was so damn bored that he chased some absolute fodder, someone weaker than a no name Dressrosa coliseum fighter, all the way past the grand line to the weakest sea on essentially a raft lol. That's how bored Mihawk was prior to meeting Zoro. Zoro actually gave his mundane life something to look forward to reflected by the fact that he left Don Krieg alone (the dude he chased so far). Heck he started attending Shichibukai meetings ffs, and as you showed with the baboons and the island, Zoro (and Perona) rubbed off on him.

This is actually one of Oda's defining traits as an author. No matter how stoic and one dimensional someone may seem, Oda always manages to make them human at the end of the day (Katakuri was this exact concept in character form, done in a radical way, with Mihawk it's more subtle).

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
i don't think mihawk developed All of this cuz of zoro and perona luffy etc , i think this was mihawk character from the beginning , but we didn't know it until oda show it in the manga .
I guess Zoro changed his personality a bit. He never saw a man as determined as Zoro despite his long experience

H

Haoshoku

Mihawk is one of the most overlooked characters in the series by far. Its easy for casual readers not to notice the subtle progression he went through and the interesting tidbits here and there about his character and only focus on his top tier power. I liked that scene when Perona was leaving, I think that clearly shows by far that Mihawk has changed. But there is a problem, kind of a big one if you are a fan of the man....we aren’t getting enough of the Hawkeye.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Hello denizens of Worst Gen. Most of you would know me as the Internet's resident Mihawk wanker fan, but it's probably safe to say that Mihawk isn't common to have as one's favourite character. Most people view him solely as Zoro's endgame or from a powerscaling perspective rather than as a character in his own right. I hope to persuade you that Dracule Mihawk is not merely a one-dimensional, stereotypical antagonist, but a complex, multifaceted character that experiences growth and development.

Most people assume that top tier characters, especially those with a more stoic disposition, are uninteresting and bland. Being at the top of their field, they don't have much room to grow and have little incentive to pursue continuous self-improvement. It baffles me, however, to see people accuse Mihawk of being bland, or worse, emotionless. He clearly does express emotions, and in fact has demonstrated some of the most positive character development for a non-protagonist. Let's look back to his debut at Baratie:

The first thing we learn about Mihawk is that he is extremely jaded and expresses a nihilistic view of defeat. He doesn't see defeat as an opportunity to learn and grow as Shanks does, but the end of one's hopes and dreams. It's pretty evident that by the time he meets Zoro, Mihawk has seen his fair share of reckless young upstarts attempting to claw their way to the top during the most cutthroat era of piracy to date. He's seen far too many individuals like Krieg; unscrupulous, hypocritical and utterly devoid of honour, to the point where he is genuinely shocked that Zoro would put his money where his mouth is and back up his convictions with action. Chapter 51 Mihawk is a world-weary loner, a man who has long achieved his dream, reached the end of his ambition, but has found it desperately isolating and unfulfilling. Meeting Zoro and Luffy, however, sparks the start of his character arc, the moment that Mihawk starts to believe in dreams and ambition again.

When Zoro declares his promise to Luffy, pay close attention to Oda's use of panelling in this chapter. Mihawk and Luffy are positioned on either side of Wado Ichimonji, symbolising Zoro's vow, his past and his future. Mihawk, whom Zoro set sail to meet, is on the right. Because manga is read from right to left, Mihawk represents Zoro's past ambition, his lone wolf lifestyle before he met Luffy. Luffy is on the left symbolising Zoro's newfound goal and selflessness. Both Mihawk and Luffy are portrayed grinning; they realise that Zoro has found a greater purpose in life, and his defeat can only spur him onwards to new heights. From the day he met them, Mihawk praised the bond between Luffy and Zoro, and you may notice that Zoro's displays of selfless loyalty to Luffy have been the only thing in the series to elicit a smile from Mihawk. Despite Mihawk's own isolation, he sees the beauty of trust, loyalty and companionship.

Another criticism I've heard is that Mihawk is apparently an asshole - an unhelpful, selfish man who cares only for his own pleasure. However, this could not be further from the truth.

Upon finding Zoro stranded on Kuraigana Island, Mihawk lent him a boat so he could return to Sabaody. He also offered Zoro shelter in his castle when it became clear that Zoro was injured and struggling against the baboons. In contrast, Ivankov refused to lend Sanji a boat at all and laughed at his predicament. Mihawk also remembered a story Shanks told him 10 years ago, and travelled all the way to the New World because he realised how important Luffy was to Shanks. These actions seem completely at odds with being selfish and an asshole. There's also the fact that Mihawk only decided to train Zoro because he admired Zoro's selflessness and willingness to sacrifice his pride.

The arrival of Zoro and Perona was a key stage in Mihawk's character development. Though he initially found Perona annoying and refused to oblige her request for a hot cocoa, the two of them are shown sharing wine during Zoro's flashback. It is strongly implied that Perona often spectated Zoro's training, treated his injuries and the three of them lived and cooked meals together much like a family. The fact that Mihawk and Perona were shown enjoying onigiri, Zoro's signature food, suggests that Zoro rubbed off on them both. In chapter 925, Mihawk demonstrates clear concern for Perona, making her feel touched and highly emotional. Mihawk even suggests that it would be good for her to leave, sensing that events at Reverie could potentially put her in danger.

Perhaps the clearest evidence of Mihawk's character development lies in his environment and how it has changed over time. When Zoro first arrived, Kuraigana was a wasteland, debris strewn everywhere and infested with humandrills who had only ever known violence. Over the timeskip, however, Mihawk, Perona and Zoro restored the island to an agricultural paradise, and even made peaceful farmers out of the humandrills. The revitalised landscape symbolises the change in Mihawk's state of mind, and how his newfound companionship has heightened his ability to work with others and improve his surroundings. Even in Japan, the Kuraigana Trio continues to capture readers' hearts and minds; Perona and Mihawk rank among the top 25 characters in the series, and their relationships with Zoro are the subject of many adventures in the spin-off manga One Piece Party. Zoro and Perona have clearly left their mark on Mihawk's character and encouraged him to develop a far healthier and more positive mindset. I look forward to seeing where Oda takes their relationship, particularly if Perona endangers herself trying to rescue Moria.

Hopefully I have convinced a few people to see Mihawk for the layered, nuanced character that he is, and have stirred up a bit of excitement for his next appearance. I will leave you all with some panels from One Piece Party, enjoy Mihawk slapping Zoro in the face and trying to draw graffiti on his back.

P.S. This is not a power level thread, this is solely about Mihawk's character and his relevance to the plot of OP.

Pre-read: I don’t even have to read this to know that it’s high quality. Take this pre-mature like.

Post read: Yep, great post Den Den. Lol

Maybe it’s because Mihawk hasn’t appeared much post TS, but he’s one of the characters that Oda has yet to ruin. Hopefully that won’t change lol.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Nicely done. I hope Mihawk ends up saving Perona if she got into trouble.
I think we have yet to see more of Mihawk's past and what his drive was on the way to the top where he found loneliness but Zoro and Perona left a big impact on him for sure.
Too bad that Oda keeps him sidelined all the way until the very end but I guess it has to be so.

M

MD Zolo

I don't think Mihawk will ever be the one who will play a pivotal role in the plot of One Piece. That much is something I have already accepted.

But Mihawk will be somebody that will give Zoro an understanding about how he should live his life post-EoS.

So, Oda created Mihawk for Zoro's development. Now, obviously this statement defeats the purpose of the thread, but that is what I believe.

It is no surprise that Mihawk is being more humanized at the same time as Zoro is becoming more stern like the EB Mihawk. At EoS, Mihawk will have something to say to Zoro regarding what is better than being the WSS, so some emotional crap like that. Of course, it doesn't go with Mihawk at all.

Bogard

You can't win
Great breakdown @Den_Den_Mushi . I agree that Mihawk's character is sometimes very overlooked, and sometimes suffers due to the Zoro syndrom. From a character perspective, Mihawk evolved in the manga.

He was likely always a loner who was attempting to reach the summit of swordsmanship(judging by his kid drawing from Oda's SBS), but after losing a rival in Shanks, after accomplishing his goal, he grew so bored he decided to make an island covered in blood, and smelling death his homeland, living there alone, was so bored at the beginning he chased a fodder like Krieg all the way back to East Blue

But that trip helped him notice for the first time in a long while, someone who was ready to die to accomplish his goal(Zoro), with his partnership with Luffy putting a smile on his face and wanting to meet them again. Luffy was also the only one outside of Whitebeard, that Mihawk was ever interested in in the war of the best just to test if Shanks' did the right thing in giving his arm for this brat. When it was revealed Ace was Roger's son, he didn't even care. When it was revealed however that Luffy was Dragon's son, he cared and chased him to test his fate. Did the same thing after he saw his potential of conqueror haki awakened

Literally Luffy and Zoro are the only ones he showed great interest in because he was touched by their ambitions and relationship towards one another, with Shanks(his rival) sacrificing his arm for Luffy's future, and Zoro sacrificing everything for his goal, but still finding a greater cause for his ambition in trying to help Luffy to becoming pirate king.

It's not like he was asocial or anything. Your example of him offering Zoro a boat to help him follow Luffy, and offering him a cover in his castle after seeing him struggle with the humandrills says it all

I also think his relationship with Perona will lead to something. They spent 2years together for a reason, but what i didn't really take into consideration was the parallel you made with the growth of the island after spending time with Zoro and Perona, especially since he said he was in the island for 7years or so before Zoro and Perona came, yet he never cared in taking care of the island, so it does seem like he received some kind of emotional boost after living with people after such a long while

Him growing bored was probably also one of the reason he accepted the Shichibukai title at one point as well, so it being abolished now is probably something he was looking forward after seeing the thrill of following one's dreams coming back again, with him telling Perona to go and still remaining in the island, excited at being chased again, implying as such. Very interested in what all of this will lead to

This is actually one of Oda's defining traits as an author. No matter how stoic and one dimensional someone may seem, Oda always manages to make them human at the end of the day (Katakuri was this exact concept in character form, done in a radical way, with Mihawk it's more subtle).
This is actually one of the things I like most about Mihawk, how human and relatable he is. With all the wackiness and over the top emotions and designs that Oda likes, sometimes I like when he strips it all back and delivers more down to earth characters like Coby and Shanks. Mihawk doesn’t get involved in politics, shadowy schemes or territory disputes, he lounges around, takes naps and tends his veggie garden like your typical middle aged guy. Despite being near the top of the verse, he’s happy to live a peaceful and fairly undisturbed lifestyle, which I find refreshing, especially after chaotic arcs like WCI and Dressrosa. Oda has done an amazing job with characterising many of the older characters in the series but being a shonen, they often go underrated by the fandom.

I think we have yet to see more of Mihawk's past and what his drive was on the way to the top where he found loneliness but Zoro and Perona left a big impact on him for sure.
Too bad that Oda keeps him sidelined all the way until the very end but I guess it has to be so.
I think Mihawk became so fixated on the end goal that he forgot to cultivate strong bonds with others. His only real friend before Zoro came along was Shanks, who was also his rival. I feel like part of it is that Mihawk finds it hard to relate to others outside of fighting, but Zoro and Perona have taught him how to live differently. Judging from his childhood picture, the need to fight seems to have been drilled into him from a young age. I wonder what was up with that.

Pre-read: I don’t even have to read this to know that it’s high quality. Take this pre-mature like.

Post read: Yep, great post Den Den. Lol

Maybe it’s because Mihawk hasn’t appeared much post TS, but he’s one of the characters that Oda has yet to ruin. Hopefully that won’t change lol.
Thanks man :D Means a lot coming from the #1 Akainu fan
Post automatically merged:

He was likely always a loner who was attempting to reach the summit of swordsmanship(judging by his kid drawing from Oda's SBS), but after losing a rival in Shanks, after accomplishing his goal, he grew so bored he decided to make an island covered in blood, and smelling death his homeland, living there alone, was so bored at the beginning he chased a fodder like Krieg all the way back to East Blue
I think Mihawk is associated with a lot of symbolism relating to death and decay, which represents his nihilism early in the series. He sails around in his own coffin, he lives on a desolate island that was covered in corpses, and his only company are a bunch of violent, traumatised apes. Seeing the island brought back to life gives me hope that Mihawk will earn a happy ending and live somewhat like Rayleigh who enjoys life and happily remembers Roger.

He looks tough but has got a huge big heart

Really good thread:goyea:
If you did not seen it already, you might want to look at this:
Also nice to see that I’m not the only one to appreciate Mihawk’s behavior in « One Piece Party »:finally:
One Piece Party is god's gift to all One Piece fans, it's a shame the manga is so hard to find and isn't translated into English. In the meantime, enjoy some more funny panels of the warlords in One Piece Party

@Cinera @Grumpy Zoro @Beerbottle @Guan Yu @Bogard @TheAncientCenturion I think you guys might appreciate this :fujilaugh:

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Very good read Den Den. I can’t really comment much on mobile, but I’ll say the subtleties to Mihawk’s character really goes over a lot of heads. More so if you’re not a Zoro fan, IMO. You might just take the character at passing glance instead of bothering to think about his actions so far.
His castle is gothic.
He is based off of a gothic vampire.

I don't mean goth in the angsty teen sense.
I think it’s fairer to say he’s based off Dracula’s inspiration, considering the dragon association with Mihawk.