General & Others The Importance of Dracule Mihawk

How important do you think Mihawk is to the story of One Piece?

• Very important

• Quite important

• Somewhat relevant

• Unimportant

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is he really important to the plot? Or just a plot device that was meant to teach Zoro and finish?

He's somewhat relevant
he doesnt make any big moves or real plan
That's where I'm conflicted as well when it comes to importance. If he's limited to only Zoro's fight for honor and what not, then his overall plot importance to the story regarding the OP world is fairly low. But just important to a singular characters plot.

That's why I personally don't want him being limited to just chilling and then being relevant for a fight so Zoro can be WSS. Would be much better in my eyes if he teamed up with his rival, Shanks, to stop a threat in the BB pirates. Or if went against the WG whenever the RA make their move.

I

Inspector_Mu

That's where I'm conflicted as well when it comes to importance. If he's limited to only Zoro's fight for honor and what not, then his overall plot importance to the story regarding the OP world is fairly low. But just important to a singular characters plot.

That's why I personally don't want him being limited to just chilling and then being relevant for a fight so Zoro can be WSS. Would be much better in my eyes if he teamed up with his rival, Shanks, to stop a threat in the BB pirates. Or if went against the WG whenever the RA make their move.
The possible outcome is mohawk joining Shanks vs Teach. Both having plans to how to stop BB pirates.... it is just my wishes anyway.

Let's be real, Out of all warlords, he's the only one with no much going on. Even Weevil has more plot connections , interesting stuff going on than Him.

Maybe Oda is waiting for something

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
I never took that as a promise. I took that as a statement that was testament to his strength and seeing potential in Zoro.

But like I said to Zowo, you're more than welcome to share how Mihawk's role with the WG hunting him down, fits with him fighting Zoro who is heading towards a clash with the WG. Is Mihawk gonna turn evil and try to stop the strawhats?
What @Cyrus the Cactus said. It has never been about good vs evil between Zoro and Mihawk but about being the best and as long Mihawk is the best he will remain Zoro's target.

Mihawk and Shanks fought and both remained alive and at relatively good terms with each other. Same can be for Zoro vs Mihawk, it doesnt have to end with one of them dying/being evil.

Also, it may be very well that One Piece ends up with Zoro becoming WSS, it could be that everything else wraps up before. All the relevant swordsmen gathering to watch the duel of the millennium. What an ending it would be tho.

What @Cyrus the Cactus said. It has never been about good vs evil between Zoro and Mihawk but about being the best and as long Mihawk is the best he will remain Zoro's target.

Mihawk and Shanks fought and both remained alive and at relatively good terms with each other. Same can be for Zoro vs Mihawk, it doesnt have to end with one of them dying/being evil.

Also, it may be very well that One Piece ends up with Zoro becoming WSS, it could be that everything else wraps up before. All the relevant swordsmen gathering to watch the duel of the millennium. What an ending it would be tho.
Sure it can be, as I acknowledged in multiple posts. But we're taking into account the way the current story is going right now. Which is fast paced straight to the final war, with 2-3 giant fights for the crew in between.

Yea that ending makes sense, if Zoro isn't going to be Roger level+ at EoS. Which for me he is, thus for me the clash at EoS doesnt make much sense. You would then also be relegating Mihawk's importance to simply existing for a fight against Zoro, not even in the main story, but after that, which as a Mihawk fan I dont like all that much.
Post automatically merged:

The possible outcome is mohawk joining Shanks vs Teach. Both having plans to how to stop BB pirates.... it is just my wishes anyway.

Let's be real, Out of all warlords, he's the only one with no much going on. Even Weevil has more plot connections , interesting stuff going on than Him.

Maybe Oda is waiting for something
I feel like he is. I don't see Mihawk (who I have as top 3 right now) being not involved against the two big enemies. The man needs some world importance like all the other big names of the era have.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Sure it can be, as I acknowledged in multiple posts. But we're taking into account the way the current story is going right now. Which is fast paced straight to the final war, with 2-3 giant fights for the crew in between.

Yea that ending makes sense, if Zoro isn't going to be Roger level+ at EoS. Which for me he is, thus for me the clash at EoS doesnt make much sense. You would then also be relegating Mihawk's importance to simply existing for a fight against Zoro, not even in the main story, but after that, which as a Mihawk fan I dont like all that much.
Well their fight is the most important thing for the two of them but they are not the center of the story. Sure it would be nice to have more of Mihawk but...

Well their fight is the most important thing for the two of them but they are not the center of the story. Sure it would be nice to have more of Mihawk but...
Hard to say if it's the most important thing in general to Mihawk. I'm sure it's one of the more important things tho.

Well it's not just having more of Mihawk. It's making Mihawk relevant to the events and the history making of OP. The admirals will be involved in Final War and maybe even in an arc before that who knows. The yonko already are.
Dragon is working on war against WG. Shanks is doing dealings with the highest WG authority and set up as antithesis to BB.

Mihawk is the only top tier that has no connection to world changing events. For a person of Yonko/Admiral caliber, I don't see how makes it throughout the story like that, while having next to nothing impact on the world during the present story.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Hard to say if it's the most important thing in general to Mihawk. I'm sure it's one of the more important things tho.

Well it's not just having more of Mihawk. It's making Mihawk relevant to the events and the history making of OP. The admirals will be involved in Final War and maybe even in an arc before that who knows. The yonko already are.
Dragon is working on war against WG. Shanks is doing dealings with the highest WG authority and set up as antithesis to BB.

Mihawk is the only top tier that has no connection to world changing events. For a person of Yonko/Admiral caliber, I don't see how makes it throughout the story like that, while having next to nothing impact on the world during the present story.
Plot needs him sidelined to keep him in check. Powerful allies always receive such treatment, look at the MF war, all the NW tested characters of high caliber and yet, it was the rubber rookie who freed Ace...

Characters like Mihawk cant steal the show from the MC, I hope I am wrong but maybe it is a good thing that Mihawk is sidelined rather than present and nerfed by plot element. We dont need him to push a Birdcage, if you know what I mean...

Plot needs him sidelined to keep him in check. Powerful allies always receive such treatment, look at the MF war, all the NW tested characters of high caliber and yet, it was the rubber rookie who freed Ace...

Characters like Mihawk cant steal the show from the MC, I hope I am wrong but maybe it is a good thing that Mihawk is sidelined rather than present and nerfed by plot element. We dont need him to push a Birdcage, if you know what I mean...
I'm not seeing how that's relevant to him having world changing/history making importance to the world of OP.

Dragon, Shanks, Admirals, Yonko , none of these guys are stealing the show from the MC, despite that all have much more impact on the world of OP than Mihawk.

Even Ryuuma had more impact on the world of Op than what we know of currently about Mihawk. As he fought off the WG, pirates, and made Wano an untouchable nation to the entire world.

What you're pointing out is on panel siding off. Like how Fujitora was during Dressrosa, but right after Dressrosa, Fujitora has a huge impact when he bowed down in front of King Riku. And he will when/if he stands against the strawhats at Final War.

I would be down for the narrative of him vs zoro in a fight right before Raftel. With shanks and Luffy happening as well, because they want to make sure they're ready.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
I'm not seeing how that's relevant to him having world changing/history making importance to the world of OP.

Dragon, Shanks, Admirals, Yonko , none of these guys are stealing the show from the MC, despite that all have much more impact on the world of OP than Mihawk.

Even Ryuuma had more impact on the world of Op than what we know of currently about Mihawk. As he fought off the WG, pirates, and made Wano an untouchable nation to the entire world.

What you're pointing out is on panel siding off. Like how Fujitora was during Dressrosa, but right after Dressrosa, Fujitora has a huge impact when he bowed down in front of King Riku. And he will when/if he stands against the strawhats at Final War.

I would be down for the narrative of him vs zoro in a fight right before Raftel. With shanks and Luffy happening as well, because they want to make sure they're ready.
Well he doesnt seem evil and automatically loses on importance, he isnt relevant to Luffy and loses on importance. His goal is different and thus he loses on importance. He is a different character than all others but that also makes him unique.

Unless he changes and wants the piece of the pie for himself I doubt he will become more relevant in world building but it doesnt mean that he wont have other purpose in the story than just fight Zoro but it is too early to predict it.

Well he doesnt seem evil and automatically loses on importance, he isnt relevant to Luffy and loses on importance. His goal is different and thus he loses on importance. He is a different character than all others but that also makes him unique.

Unless he changes and wants the piece of the pie for himself I doubt he will become more relevant in world building but it doesnt mean that he wont have other purpose in the story than just fight Zoro but it is too early to predict it.
Right but if he's taking on Blackbeard pirates alongside Shanks in a giant war, that's history making. Which then builds up BB to be a huge threat whenever the SHs face him.

If he takes on the WG, he would be helping overturn the rule of a tyrannical government, impacting the world of OP.

Both of which would give him great importance. Because for me he has to be involved in a huge history making event, and I dont believe Oda will would leave him to the side whole all this huge history is being made.

When do you think is the best time for Zoro vs Mihawk to go down?

I

Inspector_Mu

In these panels alone Mihawk expresses shock, admiration, excitement, apathy, sarcasm, irony, amusement, joy and exasperation.

And people say he has no emotions :milaugh:
Sure
He is smiling so freely...

Like I said he is boring mate
The man has no real depth.

You are trying to paint Mihawk as someone so interesting and very important which he isn't

He has no real impact on the storyline as Admirals/Yonko/Revos/OherWarlords

He may be powerful but his character is bland

Maybe take off your your fanboyism, if that panel of Mihawk being shown make you say he is interesting then I seriously understand why you bash any most character development that doesn't involve zoro/mohawk.

But hey it is DenDenMushi......sure

Maybe take off your your fanboyism, if that panel of Mihawk being shown make you say he is interesting then I seriously understand why you bash any most character development that doesn't involve zoro/mohawk.
Haha, take off your anti Mihawk glasses then xD
Looking at the other characters, we've seen so much of them that its easy to point out inconsistencies in their development, however, with characters like Mihawk and Shanks.. We see so little of them that you really have to pay attention. There is a change in Mihawk from when he first showed up, that isn't hard to see even if you don't care to go as in depth about it as @Den_Den_Mushi

I

Inspector_Mu

Haha, take off your anti Mihawk glasses then xD
Looking at the other characters, we've seen so much of them that its easy to point out inconsistencies in their development, however, with characters like Mihawk and Shanks.. We see so little of them that you really have to pay attention. There is a change in Mihawk from when he first showed up, that isn't hard to see even if you don't care to go as in depth about it as @Den_Den_Mushi
Shanks has less screen time but is more interesting
Fuji is newly introduced yet he is more interesting and has bigger impact than most admirals , I even say he is more interesting than akainu

Teach is more interesting than kaido and BM even tho he is way weaker...

It has nothing with bashing

Grow up and stop making characters look extremely interesting powerful important when they aren't

I can even tell you WB isnt that great as a character.
That Admirals are more complex than emperors overall

Lemme let you enjoy the thread

Shanks has less screen time but is more interesting
Why is that?
Fuji is newly introduced yet he is more interesting and has bigger impact than most admirals , I even say he is more interesting than akainu
Well I won't argue his impact, comes with the territory of disbanding the Warlords
Teach is more interesting than kaido and BM even tho he is way weaker...
Sure, but what does his strength have to do with it?
It has nothing with bashing
I don't believe you
Grow up and stop making characters look extremely interesting powerful important when they aren't
Hah, right back at you Ndule
I can even tell you WB isnt that great as a character.
Poppycock, WB was a great character ^^ Oda really made me care about him
That Admirals are more complex than emperors overall
With Emperors like BM I'm inclined to agree with you, but Shanks is more interesting than several of the admirals still
Lemme let you enjoy the thread
You think I'll let you get away that easily? :3

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Right but if he's taking on Blackbeard pirates alongside Shanks in a giant war, that's history making. Which then builds up BB to be a huge threat whenever the SHs face him.

If he takes on the WG, he would be helping overturn the rule of a tyrannical government, impacting the world of OP.

Both of which would give him great importance. Because for me he has to be involved in a huge history making event, and I dont believe Oda will would leave him to the side whole all this huge history is being made.

When do you think is the best time for Zoro vs Mihawk to go down?
I think if he helps RHP against BBP then Blackbeard's forces would be crushed.
Sure he can fight the WG since now they are hunting him but to what extent is questionable, maybe fight against one of their top tiers.
My bet for Zoro vs Mihawk is the very end of OP, not before that.

I think if he helps RHP against BBP then Blackbeard's forces would be crushed.
Sure he can fight the WG since now they are hunting him but to what extent is questionable, maybe fight against one of their top tiers.
My bet for Zoro vs Mihawk is the very end of OP, not before that.
Oh got damn. Idk I think BB pirates will have enough power to overcome them, which will set them up perfectly for the PK & WSS to take down before Raftel.

For the WG, Im not sure on the exact scenario, cause all of the scenarios I can think of with Mihawk end up contradicting the other scenarios that I think will happened regarding the RA.

I personally don't see Mihawk making it past the Final War. But to each his own tho, was good discussing with you man. (y)

The man has no real depth.

You are trying to paint Mihawk as someone so interesting and very important which he isn't
The man who was so impressed by Zoro's convictions and strength of will, the only person to fully identify Luffy's greatest gift, has no real depth? The man who realises that charisma and the ability to form strong connections is the most powerful of all is shallow, bland and uninteresting?

What do other characters even have to do with this? Just because other characters are important does not mean that Mihawk is unimportant. It's like saying that because Roger is important, Oden doesn't matter in the story.

Oda went out of his way to establish Mihawk as a keen observer of Luffy and Zoro's journeys. He drew Mihawk reacting to Luffy's COC alongside the admirals and Ace. He titled a chapter 'Pirate King and Master Swordsman', and the chapter involving Mihawk vs Zoro is so iconic that the author of Dr Stone chose to remake it in his own style.

And some people think Mihawk isn't important?