General & Others The Importance of Dracule Mihawk

How important do you think Mihawk is to the story of One Piece?

• Very important

• Quite important

• Somewhat relevant

• Unimportant

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rosella.Fiamingo

Peerless In History
We don’t hate Mihawk we hate the mindless Zoro related wank that comes with him. Great analysis but the only reason I even meme about Mihawk is because of wankers.

@Den_Den_Mushi excellent post my fellow Tyrant. I completely agree with the high quality content. :cheers:

Mihawk is likely going to remain as the most subtle character is ever going to produce. Unlike so many other in your face OP characters, readers actually need to do a little digging in order to see Mihawk’s quality personality and character. Lol.

I sincerely hope that he remains Zoro’s end goal and that none of this Shiryu vs Zoro business happens. For once, I would simply like to see a Straw Hat and a major character go up against each other without the Straw Hat’s opponent being morally evil.

All hail the Hawk. :catsweat:

Hopefully Post-TS syndrome does not hit him as hard as it has too many other OP characters. :lusalty:

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Amazing post @Den_Den_Mushi.

Let me add a tad bit.

Mihawk at the time of his introduction comes off as an overwhelmingly powerful individual who exudes badass-ery, is supercilious to everyone around, and just doesn't care about anything. At the beginning of the duel between him and Zoro, Zoro is nothing more than just another random nobody, who Mihawk perceives as a ''frog in the well'' someone who after seeing the difference in power will just run.

However, Zoro shows off his conviction and that captivates Mihawk enough, possibly even reminds him of his younger self. This intrigues Mihawk and even makes him smile, something rarely seen. The subtle change indicates that Mihawk has respect for others, and even shows care for them. He respected Zoro's conviction, respected him as a swordsman, gave him the cut over his chest out of respect. He is mesmerized by his dedication to the swordsmen code.

He is even seen reading the news about Zoro and Luffy.

What many people often forget about Mihawk is that he is essentially one of the few rare winners of One Piece, someone who has completely achieved his dream. He is at the top of the world, without a challenge and that is the cause of his boredom. We see Mihawk at the end of his journey when he is the WSS, so many cannot correlate with him. That's why to some he seems like a bland character. That's why we are following Zoro on his way to the WSS, to see all the sacrifices, all the necessary things one must go through. With Mihawk we have a ''done deal'' per se, so sometime it's hard to sympathize with that for some people. But we also see more of Mihawk's character after his interaction with Zoro and Perona, which you have already magnificently covered, so I have nothing to add. Mihawk will also have his second dream fulfilled. Finding someone worthy and someone giving him the much coveted challenge he seeks for.

Also besides them, Mihawk has a good relationship with Shanks as well, even though they have had ruthless duels in the past and Shanks implying they might have scarred each other, and scars in OP represent big things.

Mihawk deems it necessary to extend his apologies to Shanks in case Luffy cannot survive him.

Mihawk remembered the story Shanks told him quite a long ago.

Mihawk also stays and drinks with Shanks to celebrate.

So yeah, Mihawk is quite an interesting character, that is most often overlooked.

At the end I will leave this hype pic of Mihawk. And I am looking forward to his next appearance and what it will bring.

Last edited:
Yea I feel like a lot of the stuff you said about his character development is just reaching for a narrative.

He, just like all the other top tiers are pretty much are already developed characters. His interactions with Zoro,Luffy, Perona didn't show any development. But rather showed the type of a guy he already is.

About his role in the story, I think I only see two endings for him. He gets contacted by the RA and joins the biggest criminal of his era, then dies while fighting the WG
, OR, he joins Shanks the pirate who probably would've been the strongest yonko If he had his other arm and gets defeated by BB

For me there are seldom chances of him having a 1v1 with Zoro, as it wouldn't have any place in the way the narrative of the story is going.

Sure possibly only in two piece.

But the way the current narrative is going there isn't much spot for Mihawk vs Zoro to go down. Before the abolition of the Warlords I thought the WG would contact Mihawk specifically and keep him on their side, so we could see it go down in the Final War.. but doesn't look like that's gonna be the case

So the only way I can think of it happening is if Luffy vs Shanks happens and then Zoro vs Mihawk alongside it, as some way to test if they're ready for Raftel.

But this is me wanting Mihawk to have a bigger purpose in the manga than just set up for 1 single fight, while remaining irrelevant for global impact. You're more than welcometo tell me how Zoro vs Mihawk would happen with the current route the story is headed.
Who will be Zoro's final fight then ?

Sure possibly only in two piece.

But the way the current narrative is going there isn't much spot for Mihawk vs Zoro to go down. Before the abolition of the Warlords I thought the WG would contact Mihawk specifically and keep him on their side, so we could see it go down in the Final War.. but doesn't look like that's gonna be the case

So the only way I can think of it happening is if Luffy vs Shanks happens and then Zoro vs Mihawk alongside it, as some way to test if they're ready for Raftel.

But this is me wanting Mihawk to have a bigger purpose in the manga than just set up for 1 single fight, while remaining irrelevant for global impact. You're more than welcometo tell me how Zoro vs Mihawk would happen with the current route the story is headed.
simple mihawk is the wss
zoro s goal is to be the wss
zoro needs to beat mihawk to be wss
:cheers:

Who will be Zoro's final fight then ?
I see it being the Gorosei guy personally. By which point Zoro should already be above the current top tiers. And I see the series ending there as well.

Now if Mihawk vs Zoro happens after that, I dont see much point in it, since for me Zoro would already be on par if not above Roger. So Mihawk would already be inferior to him by that point.
Post automatically merged:

simple mihawk is the wss
zoro s goal is to be the wss
zoro needs to beat mihawk to be wss
:cheers:
The needs to beat Mihawk only works, if Mihawk himself needed to beat somebody else who was the WSS. Which there aren't any hints of so far atleast, as the guy hes waiting on is somebody stronger than Shanks.

So Zoro should be able to become WSS without fighting Mihawk, by surpassing the feats that lead to Mihawk becoming the WSS.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
I see it being the Gorosei guy personally. By which point Zoro should already be above the current top tiers. And I see the series ending there as well.

Now if Mihawk vs Zoro happens after that, I dont see much point in it, since for me Zoro would already be on par if not above Roger. So Mihawk would already be inferior to him by that point.
Post automatically merged:

The needs to beat Mihawk only works, if Mihawk himself needed to beat somebody else who was the WSS. Which there aren't any hints of so far atleast, as the guy hes waiting on is somebody stronger than Shanks.

So Zoro should be able to become WSS without fighting Mihawk, by surpassing the feats that lead to Mihawk becoming the WSS.
It contradicts Mihawk's promise that he would be waiting for him at the top, no matter how long it takes.

It contradicts Mihawk's promise that he would be waiting for him at the top, no matter how long it takes.
I never took that as a promise. I took that as a statement that was testament to his strength and seeing potential in Zoro.

But like I said to Zowo, you're more than welcome to share how Mihawk's role with the WG hunting him down, fits with him fighting Zoro who is heading towards a clash with the WG. Is Mihawk gonna turn evil and try to stop the strawhats?

Cyrus the Cactus

Mihawk Reigns Supreme
I never took that as a promise. I took that as a statement that was testament to his strength and seeing potential in Zoro.

But like I said to Zowo, you're more than welcome to share how Mihawk's role with the WG hunting him down, fits with him fighting Zoro who is heading towards a clash with the WG. Is Mihawk gonna turn evil and try to stop the strawhats?
Mihawk and Zoro's fight was never one about "good vs evil" or whatever. It was an honorable duel between two swordsmen. Plus having honorable duels amongst people, even if they're friends, isn't really seen as a bad thing in shonen and One Piece. So Mihawk doesn't have to be evil to fight the Straw Hats to fight Zoro, Zoro just has to challenge him to a duel.

When will that happen though? No clue.

Btw, great thread @Den_Den_Mushi! And also nice follow up @Light D Lamperouge

Mihawk and Zoro's fight was never one about "good vs evil" or whatever. It was an honorable duel between two swordsmen. Plus having honorable duels amongst people, even if they're friends, isn't really seen as a bad thing in shonen and One Piece. So Mihawk doesn't have to be evil to fight the Straw Hats to fight Zoro, Zoro just has to challenge him to a duel.

When will that happen though? No clue.

Btw, great thread @Den_Den_Mushi! And also nice follow up @Light D Lamperouge
An honorable duel like the one you suggest can only happen in my eyes post-Final war, when Zoro has leisure to go out of his way and challenge him. But at the rate the story is going with quick conflict after the other, there isn't likely going to be any leisure time for Zoro to go out of his way to challenge Mihawk. And if it happens post-FW Zoro would already be a level above Mihawk for me, so no point in that.

Which is why there's only two ways I can see it happening

Mihawk turns evil, or the other way I can see it happening is if Shanks turns on Luffy to "test his strength" or something which then leads to Mihawk vs Zoro as well.

I

Inspector_Mu

If I may participate...

Is he really important to the plot? Or just a plot device that was meant to teach Zoro and finish?

He's somewhat relevant
he doesnt make any big moves or real plan

He doesnt seem that interesting

His character is contradictory/weord when it comes to challenges.

anyway,
He's an okay character overall.
You are reaching hard to make him someone so interesting when the dude barely even talks.
Always same attitude when we see him.

Everyone has their own opinion, the only interesting character wise Top tiers are Shanks Teach Fuji...

BM kaido are good but used as plot bombs even tho bm makes plan, oda doesn't know how to handle them in an arc.

Akainu is good but compared to fuji? Fuji seems just more.