General & Others The Importance of Dracule Mihawk

How important do you think Mihawk is to the story of One Piece?

• Very important

• Quite important

• Somewhat relevant

• Unimportant

Results are only viewable after voting.
But the Yonkos are treated like 2nd in line to be PK. Base On Whitebeard never wanting to take the throne..

At least Luffy has rivals to be Pk.. meanwhile Zoro has no young blood fitting to be his rival and the person Kuina is base on.. has no interest in being Wss.

Anyway @Den_Den_Mushi great thread but all the more of me wanting Hawkeye to die.

One thing which is a key thing that's not brought up once is his relationship with Shanks

I believe Mihawk's relationship with Shanks is the key character motivator for Mihawk.

As far as we can tell, his boredom began after Shanks lost his arm and continued to inform him joining the Shichibukai and informed his trip to going to east blue and was his motivation during the summit war

Here's how I see it. Mihawk's character arc will end when he gets over his issues with Shanks.

And if you think Mihawk doesn't have an issue with Shanks then consider the very first time thing he tells shanks in the series "I don't fight one armed has beens"... This is Mihawk's introductory line to Shanks, it's an insult about shanks' disability and his station in life... A lot of people tend to take this as Mihawk kidding around and yet there's no indication of that. Mihawk doesn't in fact fight shanks just as he says when insulting him. Even in the summit war he doesn't so obviously he wasn't kidding about that. And we learned that his boredom is in fact due to Shanks so Obviously mihawk does have as problem wth Shanks being one armed as he says when insulting him and he considers Shanks a "former" rival so the "has been" part is also serious. This was also full blown insult and this would be easily written off if Mihawk wasn't such also polite guy.

Unlike guys like Sanji who calls people "shit head" and the like casually, Mihawk insults people when he fully believes they are worth the insult. He insults Zoro's rabid attacks and insults those wimps from Impel down who try to get fresh with him. And yet he can also so change his tune when he sees something commendable like when he compliments Zoro for his tenacity or compliments Luffy for having such lofty ambitions or even Vista for being relatively famous and even Whitebeard who gets the biggest compliment Mihawk can give, which is taking him seriously in a fight. And that's the big part. Mihawk takes people seriously in fights as a compliment. He did that with Whitebeard with vista and with Zoro. There's a direct link between how seriously Mihawk takes a peperson and how much he puts into fighting them. And so that's why Him REFUSING TO EVEN DRAW HIS SWORD at shanks is a bigger indicator of Mihawk's issues with Shanks than even the direct insult he gives shanks the first they meet.

Of course though I use the word "issues" because I believe their relationship is too complicated to just be love/hate... Mihawk cared enough to seek Shanks out and ended up partying with him... then he even felt somewhat bad that he might end killing Luffy knowing how much Shanks cared about him... So like I said it's complicated but what clear is that they aren't like Luffy and Zoro with like a very solid friendship with only a few minor arguments, no... Mihawk and shanks were probably really close and now theres a massive rift between them that they both choose to ignore and just only spend time together in the little capacity they feel comfortable with... the fact that Mihawk insults Shanks and they both just change the topic of the insult immediately and proceed to hung out shows some very blatant dysfunction there

So what i think it is gonna be the full character arc for Mihawk that may or may not affect the plot is him resolving his issues with Shanks. This is by far one of the longest character conflicts in the series so I expect it to go somewhere. My guess is that the only way this can be resolved is if they fight... Not to bring this to power scaling or anything... I just mean that their friendship and the subsequent souring of the friendship all revoled around them fighting each other so I expect the resolution to come the same way.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
So what i think it is gonna be the full character arc for Mihawk that may or may not affect the plot is him resolving his issues with Shanks. This is by far one of the longest character conflicts in the series so I expect it to go somewhere. My guess is that the only way this can be resolved is if they fight... Not to bring this to power scaling or anything... I just mean that their friendship and the subsequent souring of the friendship all revoled around them fighting each other so I expect the resolution to come the same way.
Mihawk's issue with Shanks is that he weakened himself for the sake of someone else. Mihawk has never understood the idea of fealty for another. He's always been so single-minded in his goals, and considered Shanks a great source towards them. They don't need to fight (this is assuming they didn't fight beforehand) as that won't resolve anything. What needs to be resolved is Mihawk's own isolation, and coming to understand and even feel what Shanks feels. Loyalty and companionship for another. He's already seen that Shanks investing in Luffy wasn't a waste, as Luffy has shown tremendous potential. He's also come to see similar sentiments from Zoro to Luffy. It's the reason he even agreed to train Zoro. As if he wanted to experience Zoro's efforts for Luffy for his own eyes.

Whatever other issues he may have with 1 armed Shanks, a lot of it can be resolved through his fight with Zoro, as Zoro was willing to risk his ambitions for Luffy similar to Shanks. This is also coupled with Zoro having the potential to surpass Mihawk, so his growth is also more interesting for Mihawk. A chance to see how far these sentiments can take Zoro compared to him who's never looked to anyone. Though there are some changes in his mindset thanks to his time with Perona and Zoro.

No the yonkos are not treated as 3nd in line to the throne. As Akainu and Jinbei and luffy said the yonkos are failures trying to do what roger did but can’t . Only luffy will get it done. Cut your noise your the same bozo that said big mom isn’t swordsman so we know reading comprehension isn’t your thing
W.B wasnt a failure, he choose not to be pirate king. How can you fail at something when you didnt want to try or be one?

I wrote 2nd and you said 3rd..
Your reading comprehension isnt your strong suit etheir and your argument was to bring up her wiki stating she a swordwomen.
:milaugh:

Nobody wants to be one of the Yonko, they want to be Pirate King. Does that lower the status of the Yonko? :memehm:
Yonko is on the path to PK... so theres that
Post automatically merged:

Yes Zoro's goal is to climb till the top till the day he will fight the Grandgrandmaster Mihawk and take the high honor away from him
Well said. Take Zoro away and Mihawk has no further meaning in the manga besides being just another strong character

That's because only way to attain it as long as Mihawk is alive, is to take on Mihawk. And any credible swordsman would know where he stands compared to them, which is higher than them. So why attempt something when you know you're inferior?
Understandable, but that isnt the point of this thread... it's about Mihawks importance and without Zoro Mihawk is not important to One Piece

Not really. You dont need to be a yonko to become pirate king.
No you dont, but you get recognized as one regardless

Example Luffy

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Understandable, but that isnt the point of this thread... it's about Mihawks importance and without Zoro Mihawk is not important to One Piece

No you dont, but you get recognized as one regardless

Example Luffy
Well zoro is one of the three triggers for the whole story according to the mangaka so id say that makes him pretty important

Well zoro is one of the three triggers for the whole story according to the mangaka so id say that makes him pretty important
Where is that said? Can you provide a link?

And whether that's true or not, it doesnt tale away from the fact that Mihawk is not important to the story in comparison to others.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Where is that said? Can you provide a link?

And whether that's true or not, it doesnt tale away from the fact that Mihawk is not important to the story in comparison to others.
From an interview in colour walk one
"Luffy, Zoro, Nami, for now, the triggers/detonators are gathered ...." Color Walk 1 (2001)

Jiihad

RIP Toriyama
“It be so lonely at tha Top” literally defines Mihawk, he wanted tha Top so bad he sacrificed everything in his search for it. And once he achieved it, he realized and probably thought. Was it worth it? Was achieving tha heights it did worth me destroying all connections wit everyone(bar his rival Shanks)

And wit realizing that and being at tha top so long he likely became jaded into believing that was tha only way to do it. And that relationships and bonds are meaningless

Aye good thread @Den_Den_Mushi always glad to see an influx of quality threads

On that note, I am with you. His importance at the rate he's going with being secluded from all the major events and not really having anything big centered around him is pretty concerning as far as his importance to the overall one piece world.

They don't need to fight (this is assuming they didn't fight beforehand) as that won't resolve anything
No i think they have to fight because as I said, Mihawk shows people that he respects them by fighting them... if he just says he's fine with Shanks and that's it, then that carries way less weight than him just finally fighting him again

We don't know what the previous aspects of Mihawk's relationship with Shanks entailed fully but as of now the two don't have a problem actually talking to each other for one. Second they don't even have a problem partying together. No their problem with each other is entirely centered around Mihawk not finding Shanks worth fighting... This is the only aspect we know of yhe ie previous relationship that is clearly not existent in their current relationship

Of course its possible that their relationship simply turns into one that completely doesn't require Mihawk to see Shanks as worth fighting and that's fine but as it stands, they are not in the same place they were before shanks lost his arm and that's directly represented by Mihawk's unwillingness to fight shanks