Powers & Abilities Why do people have trouble calling characters swordsman ?

I for one, don't find a problem with BM or even Roger classified as a swordsman.

I find the problem in defining the WSS. Imo defining:

A. One swordsman (Roger) who is unbeatable even by WB or Garp in a fight, wouldn't necessarily be the same as defining

B. the WSS.

This is partly because:

1. there is no mention of Roger as WSS, even if in the verse Roger is like number 1 in powerlevel.

2. the logic comparison between OP world and real world.

2a. In real world, anyone who is able to use a sword in combat can be called a swordsman. Mastering other skills (for example, shooting with a gun) doesn't stop that person from being a swordsman. The logic in OP is just like this, that's why i have no problem with it.

2b. But here comes the WSS title. In the real world, what is WSS? Is it a person who can use a sword and unbeatable in any fight? No. Since a weaker swordsman, can beat the WSS, if he is more skilled or stronger than that WSS in other powers. For example, the weaker swordsman can beat the WSS by shooting the WSS with a gun. It does not make the shooter into the WSS. It just makes the shooter, the victory of the fight. This is real life logic, so i assume unless it was contradicted by Oda, the logic of WSS in OP should follow real life logic of WSS.

Poiny 2b doesn't make the WSS title meaningless. This just places that title in the proper place instead of "WSS = can beat anyone" kind of wishful thinking.

---

I hope this can provide some new perspective of being a swordsman and WSS

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
โ€Ž
I for one, don't find a problem with BM or even Roger classified as a swordsman.

I find the problem in defining the WSS. Imo defining:

A. One swordsman (Roger) who is unbeatable even by WB or Garp in a fight, wouldn't necessarily be the same as defining

B. the WSS.

This is partly because:

1. there is no mention of Roger as WSS, even if in the verse Roger is like number 1 in powerlevel.

2. the logic comparison between OP world and real world.

2a. In real world, anyone who is able to use a sword in combat can be called a swordsman. Mastering other skills (for example, shooting with a gun) doesn't stop that person from being a swordsman. The logic in OP is just like this, that's why i have no problem with it.

2b. But here comes the WSS title. In the real world, what is WSS? Is it a person who can use a sword and unbeatable in any fight? No. Since a weaker swordsman, can beat the WSS, if he is more skilled or stronger than that WSS in other powers. For example, the weaker swordsman can beat the WSS by shooting the WSS with a gun. It does not make the shooter into the WSS. It just makes the shooter, the victory of the fight. This is real life logic, so i assume unless it was contradicted by Oda, the logic of WSS in OP should follow real life logic of WSS.

Poiny 2b doesn't make the WSS title meaningless. This just places that title in the proper place instead of "WSS = can beat anyone" kind of wishful thinking.

---

I hope this can provide some new perspective of being a swordsman and WSS
Except zoros fight against cabaji disproves this. He threw spinning tops spat fire etc yet to zoro he was still a swordsman.
So no there is no stronger swordsman than the wss.

The swordsman thing is arbitrary because Mihawk is poorly developed. So far we can confirm that he hasn't overcome Katakuri, Rayleigh, Yonko level Shanks, Roger, Big Mom, or Whitebeard. How is he the strongest, then?

Law is a swordsman. Anybody who lectures Tashigi about swordsmanship and can control a cursed sword has to be a swordsman

And Law is clearly not stronger than Zoro, you are wrong in that part as well

I think Zoro is stronger than Law even considering the DF but it's fairly debatable.

Seth

๐Š๐จ๐ค๐ฎ๐ญ๐จ ๐’๐ก๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ข
โ€Ž
Hmm. It's a tough question for me. I call someone swordsman if he uses a sword as his primary fighting style, not by chance or as an addition to his arsenal.
So for me, Shanks is a swordsman and Big Mom is not. Something like this.
It might be a wrong way of thinking but it is me.

Would you call a Meito owner a swordsman?

I would not

Meito are't only swords, but also spears and naginatas (Whitebeard's Murakunogiri for instance)

Meito are't only swords, meito are blades

Why?
Well, in Viz Meito is translated Famous Swords, but the correct translation should be Famous Blades

Mei=Famous
To=Sword/Blade (depending on the context)

Since that also a spear can be a Meito (as seen in Wano's arc), then we can safely assume that To stands for blade here and not for sword

So, is Whitebeard a swordsman ? To me, no!

Is Calgara a swordsman (assuming that his spear is a Meito)?
To me, no!

Meito are blades, not just swords

And Law is clearly not stronger than Zoro, you are wrong in that part as well
I dont think a gap actually exists between the two currently

Even if we go by portrayal, Zoro hasnt faced any opponents that Law wouldnt easily deal with himself. Outside of fujitora, and difference between both their encounters is that Law was outnumbered when he did

Last edited:
first of all, what other manga do or not do does not come into this. its irrelevant.

why do you assume that a single weapon of a character will automatically become the defining factor if said character?

X-Drake fights with a sword and a 4way axe or something.
is he a swordsman, an axeman, or both?
is Luffy a swordsman? he was seen fighting with a sword more often than Kizaru was, for example.

its hard to label someone something when the author himself fails to do so.
there is no clear cut definition as of yet.

a soldier who carries a sword for close range combat, but mostly uses a gun for long range combat is not a swordsman either.
he is a soldier with the ability to use a sword if necessary.
a sword weilding medieval knight would be what is generally referred to as a swordsman.

same logic is rightfully applied in OP aswell.

ffs, legs are considered swords in this manga...

I dont think a gap actually exists between the two currently

Even if we go by portrayal, Zoro hasnt faced faced any opponents that Law wouldnt easily deal with himself. Outside of fujitora, and difference between both their encounters is that Law was outnumbered when he did
Zoro has been up against enemies with a number advantage this whole arc.

I like when out of manga rules are created by the readers like "pure swordman", "swordmanship code" ,"live by the blade " ,etc only to try to "validate" their arguments of why this character is not a swordman.

Loving rent free on people minds is truly a delight.
:myman:
It's bs qualifications, but it's not like there's anything to answer it in canon. There's just no way the World's Strongest swordsman hasn't beaten a Meito user like Newgate or Yonko Shanks. In 930 chapters, Mihawk's only win is against baby Zoro. Even Buggy got a piece of that.

Nothing except big mom >= mihawk.

Let's be clear, if it was like mihawk > big mom, mihawk would be in the new world and not in paradise. As he was one of the seven warlords, so his only opponents would be the yonkos. And if mihawk > big mom...
Well, yeah. The new world would not be ruled by the yonkos but the marines + warlords.
So it is illogical to say otherwise. Imo.

Aside from that, featwise, big mom > mihawk. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ
Why would the marines rule the NEW world if Mihawk > BM
LMAO

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
โ€Ž
Zoro has been up against enemies with a number advantage this whole arc.

It's bs qualifications, but it's not like there's anything to answer it in canon. There's just no way the World's Strongest swordsman hasn't beaten a Meito user like Newgate or Yonko Shanks. In 930 chapters, Mihawk's only win is against baby Zoro. Even Buggy got a piece of that.
Yeah its almost as if mihawk has a lifetime worth of fights behind him that weve not seen as he sits atop all swordsman