Powers & Abilities At what point did Oda retcon Luffy's DF?

To me it's clear that Oda retconned Luffy's DF to a mythical Zooan, but I'm not sure when. It might be earlier than expected.

It's interesting noticing that in every one of Luffy's major battles Oda is starting to hint that Luffy's DF is more than just rubber.

In Dressrosa

In WCI

In Wano

Kaido's comment was the most perceptive, outright declaring that simple rubber is not enough to do that. Although this is clearly Oda setting up the upcoming transformation.

Free manipulation was always its thing.
From the moment G3 was introduced, gomu no giant from G5 should have been expected.
Modern balloons have rubber in them, so nothing surprising there. To me it's mostly the Python moves that started hinting at it.

Oda in 3 different instances had a "It keeps stretching weirdly" moment

Luffy's power is about imagination therefore his fruit was "revealed" as a non paramecia from the moment he could grow his teeth back by drinking milk
Honestly, have you ever heard of gags?

Or, idk, do you think Sanji Is Nika 2.0 since he can literally do plastic surgery with a kick on the face? Does he have the power of immagination too?

Last edited:
I think it was always going to be the case, there were things about Luffys weird fighting and stupid shit from early on, I loved MizuLuffy. And seeing how Oda is reintroducing things and characters from pre TS like Croc, Lucci, Giants, Buggy etc. I get the feeling that we can predict some things from looking at those arcs because the basic concepts of how things were supposed to progress may still be there.

Take BoAT for example, introduced in Alabasta, a version of it confirmed in Wano as haki. Not saying that some of these things and are hard set or Oda planned it all along because Oda has been doing quite a lot of free wheeling but the core things should still remain intact.

C

CensoredbyWG

Honestly, have you ever heard of gags?

Or, idk, do you think Sanji Is Nika 2.0 since he can literally do plastic surgery with a kick on the face? Does he have the power of immagination too?
A lot of "gags" are actually foreshadow.

Zoro's lack of direction will be revealed to be more than a gag, nami's CoC during the end of wano will be more than a gag, among other examples...

Oda himself said or claimed he always wanted to make a Tom and Jerry/cartoon type logic in his work.
Since day 1, One piece has always been very close to cartoon mechanic especially when comedy scenes are shown and was extremely common and repetitive compared to other shonen.
Newviewers could easily mistake one piece as just slice of life goofy and funny series when it's actually a "Battle Shonen manga" like Bleach, Naruto etc...

It's more or less true that Oda always got the idea of this cartoon mechanic in the beginning. It
just a matter of time he convinced that he'll actually do it.