Wasnt aware this convo of yours is only regarding relatives
I thought this was obvious. But I should have be more precised.

One would need to be a really toxic human to go to someone in difficulty that they don't know at all and tell them how to live or that they are actually unhealthy people. lol

I thought this was obvious. But I should have be more precised.

One would need to be a really toxic human to go to someone in difficulty that they don't know at all and tell them how to live or that they are actually unhealthy people. lol
Obviously not like random, maybe if the topic arises or if one of the rare nutjobs tells you being fat isnt unhealthy.

I dont think anyone suggested going up to random fat people to tell them being fat is unhealthy lol.
@Uncle Van ?

Obviously not like random, maybe if the topic arises or if one of the rare nutjobs tells you being fat isnt unhealthy.

I dont think anyone suggested going up to random fat people to tell them being fat is unhealthy lol.
@Uncle Van ?
That's why I'm talking about relatives here. Because the opposite doesn't make much sence. We are talking about people we love and that we want to see healthy.

It takes a lot of courage not to interfere when we know that someone is suffering. But unless they do something radically self destructive or they directly ask us for help. The best way to respect them is to stay close and trust that they will win.

I'm purpusefully using the terminology of war and shonen to make you understand how One Piece and Oda perfectly nails that aspect of human relationships. (one of the reasons why we absolutely need to discuss One Piece under a political lens)

I'm purpusefully using the terminology of war and shonen to make you understand how One Piece and Oda perfectly nails that aspect of human relationships. (one of the reasons why we absolutely need to discuss One Piece under a political lens)
One Piece doesn’t need to be discussed under a political lens any more than the next manga. The reality is that behind all of that is just a Japanese man spending 60+ hours a week drawing and grinding on a manga away from his family and incorporating ideals from cultures around the world including his own into it. What value is Oda going to give you regarding proper morals that isn’t already found in abundance elsewhere? Like One Piece isn’t gospel (not that I fully agree with the gospel) but nothing in mordern entertainment is going to be unique whatsoever when it comes to this, they’re just parroting ideals and morals that have been disseminated over thousands of years, whether that would be innate human values, scriptures/religious books, philosophical beliefs derived from the aforementioned and stuff like that.

Why would I read One Piece to know how to respect someone when I can read a whole treatise on respect that breaks it down in a way that I’d be able to have a deep understanding of it in and out? That is if I even wanted to read something on respect

Last edited:
Bro One Piece is not what you should read if you want to know how to respect someone, Luffy doesn’t even respect himself how could you possibly use a fictional character with a dumb manchild archetype as a role model for respect?

You have to be trolling.
You have a lot to learn yet about One Piece mate.

Never once said nor implied it lol. Just another thing Logiko made up.
I never said you did. That's why I speak about relatives.

One Piece doesn’t need to be discussed under a political lens any more than the next manga.
Yes it does.

The reality is that behind all of that is just a Japanese man spending 60+ hours a week drawing
All the more reason to denounce the working conditions behind One Piece and therefore "talking about One Piece under a political lens"

What value is Oda going to give you regarding proper morals that isn’t already found in abundance elsewhere?
Obviously a lot since people here don't even udnerstand how to deal with people in difficult situation in a basic and safe manner. So to those person I say : read One Piece, you might learn a thing or two.

Like One Piece isn’t gospel
Indeed. talking about One Piece under a political lens also means talking about the problematic things in One Piece

but nothing in mordern entertainment is going to be unique whatsoever when it comes to this, they’re just parroting ideals and morals that have been disseminated over thousands of years, whether that would be innate human values, scriptures/religious books, philosophical beliefs derived from the aforementioned and stuff like that.
You are underestimating the power of stories.

Why would I read One Piece to know how to respect someone when I can read a whole treatise on respect that breaks it down in a way that I’d be able to have a deep understanding of it in and out? That is if I even wanted to read something on respect
You do what you want mate :)

We are on a manga forum, so I take the obvious example here. If you want to use other ressources to be a good human being, go for it!

People with curve means people with non normative bodies. Those people are not fat. They just have a different anatomy. And its important to understand that because most of the time, women are the target of fat shaming behavior related to those anatomies.
That's actually a thing. The omnipresent body shaming in society leads to eating disorders in young people, especially teenage girls, thinking they are fat when they have completely average weight. This is a real problem that the mainly male posters in this thread might not be aware of.for the same reason unrealistic body proportions in media and photoshopping/filters can be problematic. This issue has been around when I was a teen and is exacerbated by social media

Obviously a lot since people here don't even udnerstand how to deal with people in difficult situation in a basic manner. So to those person I say : read One Piece, you might learn a thing or two.
That’s because this is a weeb forum with the primary means of communication being that of text. Even then when someone is known to be going through something most people are respectful. One Piece isn’t going to teach you how to be human even if it may have it’s fair share of moments (just like any other manga), it’s just cringey entertainment that parrots ideals when needed.
You are underestimating the power of stories.
Real stories and parables are powerful but fictional comics who’s sole purpose is that of entertainment are definitely not.
All the more reason to denounce the working conditions behind One Piece and therefore "talking about One Piece under a political lens"
That wasn’t the point, the point was that One Piece isn’t this grand literary treatise that’s going to teach you about human values and morals. Oda just is another run of the mill comic writer who happens to be one of the more talented ones in the line of manga.

Real stories and parables are powerful but fictional comics who’s sole purpose is that of entertainment are definitely not.
Technically, there is no such things as "real stories". Stories are by essence, construction out of reality. Reality only happens once, the rest is storytelling.

Question yourself : Why do people are falling in love with One Piece with this scene ?

One Piece isn’t going to teach you how to be human
You underestimate the power of stories.

it’s just cringey entertainment that parrots ideals when needed
Why are you on this forum mate ?

One Piece isn’t this grand literary treatise that’s going to teach you about human values and morals.
That's actually debatable.

Oda just is another run of the mill comic writer who happens to be one of the more talented ones in the line of manga.
Sure lol

Last edited:
This is not the point.

Yes, and the solution is support. Not delegitimization.

No. To love someone is to understand their struggle and don't interfere unless there is a life threatenning situation. The addiction is the same principle. If you brother needs your help, be their for him, don't push your wishes on him.

Supporting doesn't mean endorsing. Its means understanding that you are not the one in control.

Only an ignorant think they knows everything and can't learn from stories or other people.

And nobody he asking you to do that. What we are asking is for you guys to stay away from our wars. And don't try to interfere, don't try to think that you know better than those who are suffering.

Love. Support. Trust.

If we need your help, we will ask. But that's ONLY if we feel supported.

That's why I want to understand this One Piece scene. Because Luffy fully understand how to support and we should ALL take example from him.

Very few people actually say that. Everyone know that obesity isn't safe. But everyone doesn't understand that we need to legitimate and accept even people in obesity. Remember that obesity is an illness, its not just lazyness. Also careful because a lot of time discussions about obesity are confused with discussion about people (mostly women) with curves. And no matter what those people will do, they CAN'T lose weight, so let's just be tolerant and don't push our wishes on people.
I don't know Logiko. My brother is 8 years clean, and he thanks me to this day for rejecting his addiction and trying to force him to get help.

I never delegitimized his struggle. I was there for him. Just like I'd be there for anyone I love. But I will NEVER tell them what they are doing is right. That it is "legit". No, it's fucking stupid.

I will absolutely try to guide those who strayed to the right path. Heck, my dude, you spend the majority of your time saying that you're trying to guide people here towards the left.

I never said I can't learn anything from literature. I learned positive masculinity when I was a child from the LotR trilogy. No, I am saying that Luffy is very childlike in his mentality - he is not who you should base your morality on.

Obesity is not always laziness, correct. It's actually a problem with the food supply imo. We eat shit all the time. Ever since I went on whole foods my health improved exponentially. Not everyone can afford these, so it makes sense why they're fat. But don't pretend the "fat movement" isn't a legitimate thing.

I don't know Logiko. My brother is 8 years clean, and he thanks me to this day for rejecting his addiction and trying to force him to get help.

I never delegitimized his struggle. I was there for him. Just like I'd be there for anyone I love. But I will NEVER tell them what they are doing is right. That it is "legit". No, it's fucking stupid.
You are twisting what I said. Noone is saying that you should say that addiction is the right thing to do, that's obviously dumb. What I want you to understand is that people in difficult situations are in war everyday with themself and that is THAT war that you must recognize as a good and right thing. Hence why legitimizing and aknowledging them.

I'm glad that it worked with your brother, but that's actually rare. Most of the time, pushing a person to seek help and telling them that they need help actually has the opposite effect.

I will absolutely try to guide those who strayed to the right path. Heck, my dude, you spend the majority of your time saying that you're trying to guide people here towards the left.
Yes, but here we are not talking about people in difficult situation but random people on internet. I would NEVER tell someone who is fat or mentally Ill or addict how to deal with their struggle. Its not my place, in fact its not anyone's place.

Luffy is very childlike in his mentality - he is not who you should base your morality on.
Luffy is one of the most socially intelligent character I have ever seen in a story. Reducing Luffy to his childlike mentality is completely missunderstanding him as a character.

Yes, we SHOULD learn a lot from Luffy socially. The way Luffy treats people exactly how we should all act in front of people in difficulty.

But don't pretend the "fat movement" isn't a legitimate thing.
You twist the name of the movement. Its actually the "body positive" movement. Which is explaining exactly what I explain here : That in no way you should deliver your frustration on fat people of seeing them not healthy enough. Simply because its coutner productive and actually harmfull.

Technically, there is no such things as "real stories". Stories are by essence, construction our of reality. Reality only happens once, the rest is storytelling.

Question yourself : Why do people are falling in love with One Piece with this scene ?
Because it’s drama lol. What part of this dramatic scene teaches one anything they can’t derive from the real world, from experience? How is this even a discussion?

When I say “real stories” I mean actual events and accounts that took place. The next level up are stories heavily based on said events and accounts. And then comes parables. These make up the fabric of stories that teach human values and morals, not a Japanese cartoon.

You are twisting what I said. Noone is saying that you should say that addiction is the right thing to do, that's obviously dumb. What I want you to understand is that people in difficult situations are in war everyday with themself and that is THAT war that you must recognize as a good and right thing. Hence why legitimizing and aknowledging them.

I'm glad that it worked with your brother, but that's actually rare. Most of the time, pushing a person to seek help and telling them that they need help actually has the opposite effect.

Yes, but here we are not talking about people in difficult situation but random people on internet. I would NEVER tell someone who is fat or mentally Ill or addict how to deal with their struggle. Its not my place, in fact its not anyone's place.

Luffy is one of the most socially intelligent character I have ever seen in a story. Reducing Luffy to his childlike mentality is completely missunderstanding him as a character.

Yes, we SHOULD learn a lot from Luffy socially. The way Luffy treats people exactly how we should all act in front of people in difficulty.

You twist the name of the movement. Its actually the "body positive" movement. Which is explaining exactly what I explain here : That in no way you should deliver your frustration on fat people of seeing them not healthy enough. Simply because its coutner productive and actually harmfull.
If you endorse bad actions, the individual will continue to take bad actions.

I don't tell them how to deal with their struggle. But I certainly will not endorse it. Ultimately, hanging around people who are addicts, or unhealthy, will ultimately hurt you as well. I care - but about your ordinary person? Not my place. You're twisting MY words now, lol.

I don't agree.

I don't deliver any frustrations upon fat people. Maybe I got the "movement's" name wrong, but I think promoting "healthy at any size" is actually dangerous. Some people legit believe it... and they'll die for it.

Because it’s drama lol.
No. Because its extremely human.

What part of this dramatic scene teaches one anything they can’t derive from the real world, from experience? How is this even a discussion?
You can get anything from the real word. And yet some men are in the street because they refuse to seek for help. Boys and men are refusing to see someone because they are afraid of their emotion etc.

Reality is good, but stories are putting a projector on reality. That's why they matter.

If you endorse bad actions, the individual will continue to take bad actions.
Supporting people and saying that they are perfect the way they are doesn't mean supporting their negative actions. Again, it means supporting their fight against their inner struggle (or extra struggle in some cases)

Ultimately, hanging around people who are addicts, or unhealthy, will ultimately hurt you as well.
Yes. That's the risk of love.

I don't deliver any frustrations upon fat people.
And its cool if you don't.

but I think promoting "healthy at any size
Again you are twisting. Body positivity doesn't mean that we negate the unhealthy aspect of obesity. It means being POSITIVE about our bodies, meaning not having to deal with fat shaming or remarks like "being fat is unhealthy". People there already know that.

Last edited:
you can learn things from media, but I wouldn't put much weight on it as it can either be good or bad.

For example romcoms share very toxic ideas of relationships.

you can learn things from media, but I wouldn't put much weight on it as it can either be good or bad.

For example romcoms share very toxic ideas of relationships.
I never said stories were necessaraly good. I said that we should learn from "good" stories and good characters. There is a lot of example were stories or characters are actually very toxic.

Talking politically about stories is understanding the political power of stories: